Dear Evernote, I miss Clearly highlighting so much...

EmpressG

Idea

Dear Evernote, 

I miss Clearly's highlighting while you are reading a web page so much.  It saved me so much time being able to basically make notes the first time I read a page, rather than after I have read it and found it to be "Evernoteworthy".  Especially helpful when wanting to highlight helpful comments that are found underneath hidden in the muck of the rest.   I lost it in my Win 10 upgrade and it pains me daily.

Please bring that ability to web clipper.  

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Clearly is a browser extension and my (Firefox) copy survived the upgrade to W10 and is still alive and well on two laptops.  A quick internet search suggests there are alternatives out there if you need one,  though I don't know how effective any of them are.

On 9/10/2016 at 7:34 PM, EmpressG said:

After a little more searching I see it is in the simplified article choice, but that it has no mention of highlighting, it is just "there" is very unintuitive.  I bet many people don't know it exists. 

Great! Thanks to your post I found out, too!

I too am driven to write about the loss of the Clearly firefox add on.  It's really frustrating when a tool that worked so perfectly is replaced by this sub-par copy now called "Simplified Article."   I had been using Clearly until today, when I upgraded Firefox and firefox would no longer support this legacy add-on.

I find it extremely disappointing that an app I used on a daily basis was retired without an equivalent or better substitute.  The Evernote Web Clipper is fine for many things, but it's simplified article feature is well sub-par to the user experience (and readability) provided by Clearly.  I also tried to use the original "Readable" but couldn't get that to function either.

What ever the decision to discontinue Clearly, it was absolutely a step back for user experience.

Hi Cal -

Thank you  for the suggestion.  The FF Reader extension is ok, but doesn't enable clip to Evernote or highlighting.  My typical workflow (with respect to Clearly) is, find article, decide i'm interested, I often used Cleraly just to de-clutter the page; but now as i'm reading, I highlight the key messages. This facilitates 2 things.  FIrst, I can work in 1 environment - which saves a *huge* amount of time when I'm doing research; Second, I've done my initial evaluation of the article and by reading and highlighting I've also committed much to memory.  So when I'm back in evernote, I generally can recall what articles I need and from the highlighting where to focus.  This is how i've worked on both personal projects and projects for work.  The time savings and easy of workflow is now simply broken.

As with one of the prior comments mentioned - the ability to read and highlight (in the FF environment) is a key feature that I have not seen replaced.

Any other suggestions?  I'm open.

• Level 5*
Just now, Pryn625 said:

Hi Cal -

Thank you  for the suggestion.  The FF Reader extension is ok, but doesn't enable clip to Evernote or highlighting.  My typical workflow (with respect to Clearly) is, find article, decide i'm interested, I often used Cleraly just to de-clutter the page; but now as i'm reading, I highlight the key messages. This facilitates 2 things.  FIrst, I can work in 1 environment - which saves a *huge* amount of time when I'm doing research; Second, I've done my initial evaluation of the article and by reading and highlighting I've also committed much to memory.  So when I'm back in evernote, I generally can recall what articles I need and from the highlighting where to focus.  This is how i've worked on both personal projects and projects for work.  The time savings and easy of workflow is now simply broken.

As with one of the prior comments mentioned - the ability to read and highlight (in the FF environment) is a key feature that I have not seen replaced.

Any other suggestions?  I'm open.

You are welcome.  No other suggestions at this point.  My use case is more about removing clutter than annotation.  Sorry,

Archived