None Of My Offline Notebooks Are Available Offline -UPDATE- KNOWN 7.16 ISSUE

I'm using the latest version of Evernote for iOS (updated 9-6-16 to 7.16 on iOS 9.3.5 not jailbroken) and again problems with my offline folders not syncing notes for offline usage. I have had this issue in the past but only with one notebook and certain notes. In the previous case a few months ago, after manually accessing the notes that weren't synced for offline usage the content remained available offline. Now none of the handful of notebooks marked for offline usage are available offline. I'm not going to pay to manually access a hundred notes and hope they're going to stick around. I'm a premium user & user since launch with a 6S Plus looking for a solution before I end all dealings with Evernote. This isn't the first bug but it may be my last. Notes that I access with no internet connection conveniently tell me that I have no internet connection and that I should download this notebook and show a toggle already set to download the notebook since it's been set for offline access for months like all the others. 

• Level 5*

Hi. I've found for my notebooks, it sometimes takes days or weeks to get everything available offline, depending on how much you have to download, your connection speed, and so forth. Evernote says they don't throttle the data, but whatever it is (if not throttling), "it" makes my downloads very slow compared to everything else I've downloaded on the Internet. In my case, about 10GB is in one of the notebooks I want to have offline. Last month, I ended up having to reinstall Evernote a couple of times (customer support for a bug), so in the course of the month, I never did get everything available offline. Your mileage may vary. One solution might be to make an "offline sync" notebook and just put in a couple of those problem notes you really need right now. See what happens. They'll probably be available pretty soon. Then, you can put in all of the other stuff you want.

• Level 5*

My offline notebook works fine,  but I tend to use it like @GrumpyMonkey - one notebook with notes switched into and out of it as I need them;  travel documents / meetings / tickets - usually one note at a time in,  and larger batches out when I do a clean-up. 

I'd agree with the suggested fix - uninstall / restart / reinstall (because Support will suggest it anyway) to clear your device of Evernote files and history,  then (on a desktop) create a new notebook and add a couple of files that you need offline.  Sync everything and mark that notebook for offline searching.  If that doesn't get you up and running within 24 hours,  raise a support ticket and use your Premium status to get some assistance.  It may be that Support will be able to get something out of your account details that we can't - they have a great deal more access under the hood anyway.

I already have a support ticket in because this isn't the first time it's happened. It's just the latest and worst. Uninstalling and reinstalling isn't in the list of Premium features and it's not a fix for this issue I'm having. These aren't new notes and files.

@GrumpyMonkey - Wow! Nowhere near 10GB of data. I'm talking a few dozen notes with html and pdf content none over 100mb. I have LTE and 100MB bandwidth and I'm nowhere near taxing Evernote with sync limits. I just backed up all my notebooks in anticipation of no adequate solution and the entire set is 5.7GB. It's 4800 notes but they aren't bulky at all. I could see your point if this were new notes in new notebooks but these are notes that have been in Evernote for up to 2 years and on this phone (6S Plus) since last time I wiped it and started fresh maybe 5 months ago. The notes in question should have remained on the phone for 5 months but somehow were tagged for caching only. All the notes in the notebook I originally had a ticket open for 2-3 months ago are now gone too.

@Gazumped - I appreciate the attempt but those aren't fixing it now and haven't previously. At least in the past opening a note while online made sure the file remained stored locally for offline usage and it was only a few random notes. Neither support nor developers could figure out what was wrong. I've gone through bugs with Evernote before and still haven't recovered my organization since riding the backup and restore account reset rodeo with support 2 years ago. I'm still very unhappy about that experience. 5 years of work organizing notes day to day wiped out and I don't have the time to go through thousands of notes sorting. 

But yeah in summary no way in hell I'm wiping my phone or spending hours/days on fixing their defective app that could be spent migrating to a new platform. Been there and done that with Evernote and I'm through. I have tons of email threads with support just trying to get search to work from last month. This isn't a new thing, it's just worse now to the point none of my offline folders will actually sync. I've created new notebooks and stacks and copied the notes from a notebook that won't sync for offline properly into the new one and set it to offline and it never tries to download the note unless I am viewing it. I've been through the log and sent it in. For some reason the process is broken for my account. I'm guessing this is some DB hitch in my specific account since nobody else is complaining. I'll try a family member's account on the phone and if it works and my problem continues after a turn on the reinstall rodeo then my suspicion will be confirmed. I may also try to create a new account and see if it has the same issues. Maybe being 7 years old it has some aspect to it that a new account doesn't. And here I am spending time trying to fix their product. Shame on me.

• Level 5*

For me, the way to ensure a "timely" and complete download of offline notebooks it is best to go to Settings and switch Auto Lock to Never.  Then open EN and press sync and just let it cook until it is done.  For multi-GB notebooks best done at bed time while on the charger.  YMMV.

Yeah I do the same but the info was supposed to already be there and the Download setting wasn't doing anything. It's on and I get the message to set it to download for offline use. I turn it off and on again- nothing. Turn it off. Wait. Reboot, clear memory. Set it to download. Hit sync and watch it and hours later it still will never be downloaded. I'm talking about a 185mb notebook with 30 notes, 15-20 pdfs, html in a dozen. Plus it's 2 years old, 5 months old on the device in question. I'd suggest everyone check that they're offline content is there while in Airplane mode. I thought since it was there last month it would still be there. Big surprise.

Since my spouse changed her pw and I'm not paying for another premium dummy account I uninstalled-installed again and I'm trying a Download All Notes. It has a progress bar at the bottom and you don't even have to switch auto-lock to Never. I switch to Never a lot for that type of thing since background processes can be slow and sketchy. [A little app called System Shortcuts puts an autolock shortcut in the Today pull down.]

40 minutes in and it's super slow but I have 40gigs of space and my entire account is less than 6 GB. I thought downloading everything was a waste but if it gets it working I don't care. It's killed 10% of my battery doing half an inch on the progress bar. I didn't know so many people were storing so much size wise in Evernote. I'd be pulling my hair out uploading larger quantities of data. I pretty much just do docs with a few images and other things from time to time and Dropbox/iCloud for larger stuff. I'm going to drink a lot of beer and not use the internet if after doing this it still tells me to download the file for offline usage.

(off topic - Was I the only one who didn't know that Search on the iOS app doesn't include PDFs or file contents just note names and plain text beginning from leftmost character to right? In Android it does the whole nine yards like you'd expect.) 

So downloading everything works from what I can see. That's a workaround for anyone who has the same issue and the space to hold your entire amount of Evernote data on your phone. Glad I didn't go for the 16GB phone. Performing a backup of notebooks in the Mac app gave me a good idea of how much space I needed. The amount of space being used by Evernote is about the same but in iOS Settings-General-Storage the amount of space being used by Evernote in the list isn't accurate. It's showing the size of the offline notebooks I originally selected. I only know it's all there because the total storage figure went down 6 gigs. 

Hope this helps someone else and I still would rather only download what I require if anyone knows how to fix this.

• Level 5*

Only other thing I can think of is to do a quick edit on any notes you know didn't download, add some xxx's to the title for example, to force sync the note.  Glad it's working now, albeit in over kill mode.

I had to update evernote, delete evernote from my devices and reinstall for it to then download all the notes for use offline. 

Nothing had changed in my use, I have always used the offline function, so surprised it has a bug and I needed to spend an hour trying to sort it. Not sure I will be renewing after this.....

Tried that too csihilling :) Great minds... I modded titles, switched notes to new notebooks, created new notes - none of that worked. I think the bug is also reporting weird storage stats to iOS or iOS is not updating the storage data correctly because my total phone storage is reduced the appx 6GB but Evernote shows as having 31MB of documents and 190MB of total storage use. The total is the exact size of the prior offline selected folders. It's as if it never updated since I went to Download All. 

UPDATE *****************

Everyone on Evernote 7.16 and 7.16.1 THIS IS A KNOWN BUG. Notebooks made available pre-7.16 are no longer available offline even if the notebook has the offline icon displayed. That is directly from support. I am guessing the extent to which people are affected varies. If you haven't put your phone in airplane mode and verified your offline notes are actually available, you should do so. The offline icon will appear and the data will not be present. There is no way for you to know if the data is actually cached for offline use if your cellular or wifi radios are active.

I won't be upgrading again until I verify it being patched and working on another iOS device. 

It appears that (for me at least), the bug is not "is the data synched?" but "will Evernote show me the data already on my iPad?"  And the answer is a very frustrating "sometimes yes and sometimes no".

Here's how it fails for me:

• Place iPad into Airplane mode
  • Open Evernote
  • Select Notebook
  • Start to tap on notes to view them
  • Notes show up, until they don't.  Then I get the line drawing of the airplane, and the message "No Internet Connection", and the (apparently non-functional) switch to download the notebook.
  • If I stay in a notebook long enough, none of the notes will display.  If I switch notebooks, some of the notes in the new notebook will display.  And then they won't.  If I go back to the first notebook, some of the notes that didn't display before now display.
  • This includes notes with large PDF attachments and/or multiple photos.  These pop up so quickly it is clear they are local.  Then a minute later, I can't view the same note.
  • Clearly this function used to work.  Last fall I carried this iPad with me for two weeks in Italy, and used it constantly to reference travel notes/maps/data, and never once had this happen offline.

iPad mini 2nd generation, iOS 9.3.5

How can I find out which version of Evernote is on my iPad?

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, snafu77 said:

If you haven't put your phone in airplane mode and verified your offline notes are actually available, you should do so.

Thanks for this.  I haven't been anywhere without WiFi in a while so didn't even notice the problem.  Switch to airplane mode and no more off line notes.  Thanks.  Geez.

• 1 year later...

I am still having this problem, a year since the last note in this thread.

Despite the previous observation by SevenBikeGuy, I see that the Release Notes for version 8.3 still contain essentially the same "fix", with the comment: "Fixed an issue where content in offline notebooks would not download". Hmmm. Still not downloading for me.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, ggrinton said:

Still not downloading for me.

You might try resetting the offline settings; turn off and back on
My 10GB downloaded ok, but it took something like a week

Archived