Allow audio-recording to continue when switching away from a note

I would like to use EN for audio recording more than I do right now but am hindered by that audio recording always stops as soon as I open another note in Evernote. Is there a way for the EN audio-recording to continue no matter what I do in EN until I click Stop & Save?

• Level 5*

Hi.  There's no way I'm aware of to keep recording going regardless of what you're doing on the mobile device.  That's one reason I prefer to use an external app to record audio while using Evernote for notes.  No disrespect to Evernote - none of my devices seem powerful enough to multitask reliably for long periods.  If the device crashes there's at good chance my audio app will have saved the voice recording locally even if I lose the notes...

• 3 weeks later...

So, I wrote into Evernote and was informed that this is "expected behavior" and directed to "make my voice heard" on the Evernote forums.

So, this is me doing that.

However, this functionality makes no sense for the user.  I can make up a story about why it is useful for the devs in terms of resources or syncing or something, but that is a terrible reason to design a user interface in a particular way.

UX design for the user needs to consider the use case and optimize the interface to make that use case as seamless and intuitive as possible within constaints.  To that end, ask yourself this question Evernote devs: have you ever been in a meeting and needed to consult notes on another matter? You have? That might, in fact, be the quintessential truth of what most business meetings are about?  Well, it would be nice for the premiere note taking app to allow that functionality without losing data (i.e. breaking audio recording)

in case you need a reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_experience_design

• Level 5*

Hi.  I think the support people meant 'add this as a feature request in one of the feedback forums' - which is sensibly where you've put it.  The way this works is that while the devs,  I'm sure,  are reasonably intelligent and capable people,  the thousands of obvious improvements that folks have raised would take something like the life of the observable universe to get coded.  So they're trying to get a feel for what people think are the most important features to work on. 

The counter in the top left corner is an indicator,  so the more clicks,  the more likely the devs will get this under way soon - instead of say,  more colors for highlighting,  or H1, H2 styles for text,  or selective syncing or...  it's a long list,  and every one has a crowd of passionate advocates demanding its favored feature instantly.

Archived