New option "Scroll left panel item into view when the item is selected"

Hi everyone,

I don't really understand the use of this option "Scroll left panel item into view when the item is selected". It is found in Options->Navigation. I can't really find a descriptive explanation in the web and forum. I am also aware that if you hover the mouse to the sentence, a dialogue will pop up to explain this option but I still don't get it!

Hope you guys can help.

Capture.JPG

• Level 5*

I believe it mans the left panel, notebooks/tags, will move to the notebook or tag selected.  You can always give it a go and see if you like it.  Not something I use.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply csihilling! I have tried using that options but it seems that even if I tick it or not, the notebook/tags on the left panel will still move to the notebook or tag selected

• Level 5*

You are welcome.

Hmmm.  Typically I don't have the left panel open but I thought I would do a quick test. 

For me when the option is ticked and I select a tag or notebook from the drop down the left panel scrolls to that tag or notebook.  When it is not ticked the left panel stays as is.  So it appears to be working.  So not sure what is going on in your case, sorry.  Maybe File - Exit, restart EN, and try again?

• Like 1

Ohh! I finally get it now! I seldom use the drop down feature and always select notes from the left panel, so I didn't realised about it. Sorry, evernote noob here :/

Thanks a lot for the help csihilling!

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Just opening this up - as I'm still not clear what it does?

I've switched it on (hoping it would do something for me) but I can't see any difference.

In the above explanation - I don't know what the following means - I assume I running Evernote a different way - could someone enlighten me? 

What is the drop down?

For me when the option is ticked and I select a tag or notebook from the drop down

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Riggar said:

Just opening this up - as I'm still not clear what it does?

I've switched it on (hoping it would do something for me) but I can't see any difference.

In the above explanation - I don't know what the following means - I assume I running Evernote a different way - could someone enlighten me? 

What is the drop down?

For me when the option is ticked and I select a tag or notebook from the drop down

If you 

1. Have the left panel open
  2. Find a tag via
    1. Search
    2. Shift+Alt+T
    3. Click on the caret to the right of the tag in the notebook header
  3. The left panel will shift if need be and the tag will be highlighted
  4. Mostly ditto for the notebook

image.png.521e47914c9cbfacbeebcb23e3490140.png

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks, @CalS. I wasn't really aware of this. It only seems to work on search results, not when just clicking a note in the Note List.

Yup.  You have to be searching a notebook or tag.  If you click on the caret next to a tag or the notebook in the note header it should work fine.

• Like 1