Read-only attachments

Excel attachments which I could previously edit and then save on my Android phone are now read-only.  What has happened here?  How may I get read/write access to these attachments?  Both OfficeSuite Pro and Microsoft Excel for Android tell me the attachments are read-only and can't be saved.  Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

Dear Gazumped, these attachments are straightforwardly editable with the Windows app.  The web interface downloads the attachment when I click on it.  I can then edit the attachment and drag it back to the note.  Previously, when I opened an attachment with the Android app, it would ask me whether I wanted to view or edit.  This no longer happens.  Also, when I finished editing the attachment, the app would ask me whether I wanted to replace or append the file.  This also no longer happens.  As you say, I could save the attachment, edit it and re-attach it but that would be a little cumbersome.  Thanks for your reply.

• 1 year later...

I have exactly this problem. I can update an Excel attachment on my PC, but when I try to do the same thing on my Android phone,  a message is displayed that says the file is "Read only". An alternative that works is to copy the modified file to a new file, but then I have to import the new file back into Evernote. This is too messy and time-consuming. I've checked permissions on my phone for Excel and Evernote and left all permissions activated.

I've also noticed that when I use Excel directly, i.e. not as an EN attachment, it works fine. Files can be modified and rewritten without any problems.

This is not a recent issue, as I've been encountering it for at least 2 years, and on 2 different phones (Samsung S4 and Samsung S7 Edge). All this time I've had to update Excel attachments via my PC, but it's turning into a serious limitation when I can only access my phone.

Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe there's something I've overlooked somewhere?

Archived