How are non Apple keyboards handled with Evernote for iOS?

Michael McNeil

Idea

I have a non-Apple bluetooth keyboard I use with my iPhone (6S+ 64GB). (As it happens, there are a whole slew of somewhat similar clones of the same basic folding-keyboard technology from different manufacturers, that you can see at, e.g., Amazon. The one I particularly like - I've tried several - is a full-sized keyboard by iClever [Model IC-BK05, Tri-folding Bluetooth Keyboard] supported for iOS, Android, and Windows; which you can see here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018K5EJCQ/

This keyboard (and many others like it) - despite its support for iOS devices like iPhones etc. - does NOT have an Apple-type "Command" key on it, nor does any secondary function key that the manufacturer has designated (best I can tell) provide such "Command" support. Instead, there are Ctrl, Fn (Function), Win, and Alt keys present on the keyboard. Despite the lack of a specific Command function, the keyboard seems to do pretty well on my iPhone with regard to pretty much everything that needs to be done. It does have a function key (Fn + A, S, or D) which switches the keyboard (once connected to the designated device) into either Android, Windows, or iOS modes, respectively.

Meanwhile, I've been looking over this page at Evernote's support site, "Keyboard Shortcuts for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch": https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/216788038-Keyboard-Shortcuts-for-iPad-iPhone-and-iPod-Touch

The foregoing Evernote document describes a number of different keyboard shortcuts that one can (should be able to) type under iOS to achieve Evernote functionality - nearly all of which involve the use of the (non-present) Command key. I WAS able to use the cursor keys and the tab key as described, but that's it. In addition to lack of a Command key, it's also not clear how those features utilizing Command + "Option" (key?) could be realized.

So, my question is: how can I (or can I) make use of these (very handy) keyboard shortcuts for the Evernote app using the keyboard that I DO have?

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  You're using an OEM keyboard with the 'wrong' OS keys so there's unlikely to be an interface available off any current shelves...  best guess is that Ctrl and Alt are the Windows translations of Command and Option,  so you could try the shortcuts using those keys to see what works...

Archived