Restore 'Simplify formatting'

humanengr

Idea

[I submitted a support ticket on this but am also reporting this here for greater visibility and others' comments.]

There are problems with Outlining that only 'Simplify formatting' has been able to (partially) fix.

Those problems (which I've also previously submitted support tickets on) include issues of simple cut and paste in outlining. 

Replacing Simplify formatting with 'Make plain text' makes Outlining unusable. I have many thousands of notes with Outlining and will have to now move away from Evernote unless this is restored.

Please restore Simplify formatting ASAP.

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Is this a general request for Evernote, or a request for a specific Evernote client? Simplify formatting sis still present in the Windows client, at least. If it's for a specific client, then we can move it to a client-specific feedback forum.

• Level 5

Hi folks,

We definitely intend to bring simplify formatting back to the iOS app. With this editor update, the functionality had to be re-written, and we weren't happy with the state of it when the rest of the app was ready for shipping.

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5
11 hours ago, humanengr said:

@jefito -- For iOS at least -- others ??

@E-NoteForum -- and I'm now seeing 'make plain text' doesn't really do what its name says.

Hi,

This only affects the iOS client.

Make plain text is actually making the text more plain than before, although it doesn't appear so unless you investigate the ENML behind the note. By stripping out the font, your notes are now using the system font instead of specifying courier new for every text section.

That said, the editor team is working on updating the standards for simplify formatting and make plain text that you'll see roll out amongst all the clients in the future.

Cheers,
Chuck

I also support the general idea of re-introducing "Simplify text" in iOS.

However, I want to add that I have reported a bug related to this copy-paste problem. If I copy a text in a note IN EVERNOTE in iPad/iPhone and then paste that text into another note IN THE SAME EVERNOTE SESSION, then the font and size changes which mess up everything. I think that the text style should remain un-changed at least if you are simply copying and pasting WITHIN Evernote itself!

The problem is that you do not see this on iPhone/iPad and it is not until you work in Evernote on a PC you see it. All normal text is Calibri Light 10, but cut-and-copy text has become Helvetica Neue 12!

Archived