Evernote for iOS 7.16 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We released Evernote for iOS 7.16 earlier today.

This release includes a re-write of the note editor, the ability to add attachments with the iOS Document Picker, and annotation improvements.

Notable fixes and improvements:

• New note editor with consistent formatting across clients
    • The iOS note editor has been completely rewritten - everything should work the same, but better
      • This initial release of the new editor was focused on feature parity with the old iOS note editor - this lays the groundwork for many improvements coming in future iOS releases
    • Checkboxes look a little more modern
    • Copy and past work better in edit and view modes
    • Swiping the keyboard down when editing a note now closes the keyboard and returns to view mode
  • New iOS Document Picker
    • When editing a note, you can now tap the paper clip icon in the formatting bar to launch the iOS Document Picker
    • You can then select a source location, i.e. iCloud Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc., based on the iOS apps you have installed with document picker extensions
    • Select from the list of locations, and then select the file you would like to attach – a copy of that file will be added to your note
    • Note: the camera icon in the formatting bar will now launch a prompt to take a photo (or scan) or open your photo library to add images
  • Additional improvements
    • Improved PDF annotation, especially when using the Apple Pencil
    • Reduced minimum rectangle size for annotation
    • Fixed issue where selection tool broke highlighting ink in sketches
    • Improved sync performance
    • Fixed several crashes

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

36 replies to this idea

• Level 5
23 hours ago, Delfi R said:

After the update all my downloaded notes have gone. Why?

I try to download them. I have reset all folders needed to synch, and the synch process stops after two minutes, downloads only a dozen notes or perhaps one hundred. I need to download thousands and this will take... until next update breaks the stored notes one more time.

Please, If you release on the App Store, don't forget to put a sign indicating all those issues so we can skip the update until we see all is working as expected.

I need a lot of notes on my iPad because I'm away and off-line most of the time now and I need to access to saved documents.

Hi Delfi,

Unfortunately, we didn't run into this issue during our testing and beta testing. We're working on a fix for a future release.

Thanks,
Chuck

1 hour ago, Delfi R said:

After the update all my offline notes have vanished from my iPad

I try to uodate and them don't download

The desktops are on beta versions (windows and Mac) because heya re always connected and I have the option to go to the web. The iPad it's most of the time off-line and I need many folders accessible off-line. On the iPhoen the off-line notes are less in number and I haven't noticed.

The iOs versions are not the best place to betatest.

Had you sync'd the offline notes? Fwiw, https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/83546-way-to-revert-to-previous-version/ includes a possible route to returning to a prior version; haven't tried it yet.

2 hours ago, Delfi R said:

The desktops are on beta versions (windows and Mac) because heya re always connected and I have the option to go to the web. The iPad it's most of the time off-line and I need many folders accessible off-line. On the iPhoen the off-line notes are less in number and I haven't noticed.

After seeing this post I put my iPhone into airplane mode and checked to see, and yep … my offline notes have also all disappeared. 'Download All Notes' was still checked in my options, and they were downloaded in previous versions.

Very frustrating. Definitely something that should be in the test plan for future releases.

I have a fast connection at home. To download one of my servers takes an hour for some Tbyte data. All my notes doesn't fill my iPad and after one night of syncing I have no notes and now i'll try to sync and no notes are downloaded.

There s a workaround that I've tried for a notebook: unmark off-line mode and mark it again. But this is the second time that I need to download all notes after a new release.

On August 31, 2016 at 5:07 PM, humanengr said:

Simplify formatting was the only way to partially fix the bugs in outlining -- including basic copy and paste within an outline.

A bit of good news: some of the 'copy-and-paste in outlining' bugs seem to have been fixed. What remains are the errors Simplify formatting fixed.

Other problems with make plain text: after importing this page, applying Make plain text generated two copies in succession of the main content of the page. Tapping on the text properly brings up edit mode, so one can delete the extra text. But then tapping between any two paragraphs causes the document to jump to a very distant part of the document. The behavior is repeatable and persists after quitting the app or restarting the device.

On 30/8/2016 at 7:28 PM, cifip said:

Improved sync performance

After the update all my downloaded notes have gone. Why?

I try to download them. I have reset all folders needed to synch, and the synch process stops after two minutes, downloads only a dozen notes or perhaps one hundred. I need to download thousands and this will take... until next update breaks the stored notes one more time.

Please, If you release on the App Store, don't forget to put a sign indicating all those issues so we can skip the update until we see all is working as expected.

I need a lot of notes on my iPad because I'm away and off-line most of the time now and I need to access to saved documents.

21 hours ago, humanengr said:

Other problems with make plain text: after importing this page, applying Make plain text generated two copies in succession of the main content of the page. Tapping on the text properly brings up edit mode, so one can delete the extra text. But then tapping between any two paragraphs causes the document to jump to a very distant part of the document. The behavior is repeatable and persists after quitting the app or restarting the device.

Same problem here. Really annoying to have to keep scrolling back to the edit location.

• Level 5*

Even after deleting and re-installing the app, I am still having difficulty with getting some images and some PDFs to work in iOS (they work fine on every other platform). This is an old problem. See Ticket No. 1774692 (Japanese, but I think you'll get the gist of it).

One thing I don't see mentioned here that definitely changed after the update is tables.  Tables created on my Mac at home using an older version of Evernote used auto-spacing columns.  Now when I view those tables on my iPhone 6S, the columns are all equal width.  This creates vertical blocks of almost unreadable text on tables with more than three columns.  I know this "feature" started on the Windows version and I deleted the program because there was no way to change it.  The online version still displays tables as they were created, with variable table widths.  Is there any way to get variable table widths to display properly on ios?

With this version (and the last one), all of the images have disappeared from ALL of my notes that had them, on my 5th gen. iPod Touch.  Likewise, making new notes with images taken on the device, or pulled from my photo albums, results in a blank note.   I don't make notes with images from other sources, so I don't know if that works.  Interestingly, most of my photo notes, old and new, display WITH the pictures, if I log into Evernote.com via a web browser, on my Toshiba netbook.  Any idea why the pictures in my notes are not displaying on the iPod?  I pretty much never log on via web browser, so the pictures being ok there doesn't help me...

On 9/1/2016 at 7:03 AM, cifip said:

great to hear!

Hi folks,

Thanks for taking the time to write in about the lack of simplify formatting functionality in 7.16. It's also great to hear how you're specifically using it.

Unfortunately, with the new editor, that piece needed to be re-written, and it wasn't ready in time for shipping. We are definitely planning to bring it back soon. 

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5
On 9/6/2016 at 1:06 PM, juujika said:

With this version (and the last one), all of the images have disappeared from ALL of my notes that had them, on my 5th gen. iPod Touch.  Likewise, making new notes with images taken on the device, or pulled from my photo albums, results in a blank note.   I don't make notes with images from other sources, so I don't know if that works.  Interestingly, most of my photo notes, old and new, display WITH the pictures, if I log into Evernote.com via a web browser, on my Toshiba netbook.  Any idea why the pictures in my notes are not displaying on the iPod?  I pretty much never log on via web browser, so the pictures being ok there doesn't help me...

Hi there,

We are aware of several issues affecting the 5th Gen iPod Touch specifically, and have been able to replicate the behavior in our tests. The team is working diligently to address these issues in our upcoming updates, and we believe we should have them addressed quickly. Please keep an eye out for the next update, and please let me know if the issues you've been encountering persist.

• Level 5
On August 30, 2016 at 10:30 PM, Alvin C said:

Love the update overall however the simplified formatting has been removed.

I need it because when I clip a webpage from iPad or iPhone, I would like to make the content simpler and read it comfortably. The plain text will remove pictures and it is useless.

22 hours ago, Tovokas said:

Agreed, removing simplify formatting is a step in the wrong direction: I frequently use after bringing in web sites as well.

On the plus side, love the editing/copy paste improvements! Good job.

8 hours ago, John M Sobrato said:

My joy over the ability to add attachments in the iOS app was quickly overshadowed by the loss of Simplify Formating.  Now just a choice of plain text which loses ALL formatting.  Evernote: Why did you eliminate that???? ?

5 hours ago, humanengr said:

Simplify formatting was the only way to partially fix the bugs in outlining -- including basic copy and paste within an outline. I have thousands of notes with outlining and have submitted tickets about the bugs. But now that simplify formatting has been removed, I need to explore alternatives to EN. It's that important.

And, as Tovokas said above, simplify formatting is essential for bringing in web pages.

Hi folks,

Thanks for taking the time to write in about the lack of simplify formatting functionality in 7.16. It's also great to hear how you're specifically using it.

Unfortunately, with the new editor, that piece needed to be re-written, and it wasn't ready in time for shipping. We are definitely planning to bring it back soon. 

Cheers,
Chuck

As far as I can tell, this bug is new to 7.16. I just reported it as ticket 1794028.

I have some notes with long strings, like file paths or long urls. On the Mac client, they wrap properly to the screen width. And when you're in editing mode on the iOS client, they wrap properly as well.

But in view mode on the iOS client they don't wrap, and since they have to fit on one line they end up making the rest of the text look ridiculously small and hard to read.

See the attached screenshots.

Photo Aug 30, 10 21 51 AM.png

Photo Aug 30, 10 21 45 AM.png

Photo Aug 30, 10 31 42 AM.png

53 minutes ago, cifip said:

Hi all,

We released Evernote for iOS 7.16 earlier today.

This release includes a re-write of the note editor, the ability to add attachments with the iOS Document Picker, and annotation improvements.

Notable fixes and improvements:

• New note editor with consistent formatting across clients
    • The iOS note editor has been completely rewritten - everything should work the same, but better
      • This initial release of the new editor was focused on feature parity with the old iOS note editor - this lays the groundwork for many improvements coming in future iOS releases
    • Checkboxes look a little more modern
    • Copy and past work better in edit and view modes
    • Swiping the keyboard down when editing a note now closes the keyboard and returns to view mode
  • New iOS Document Picker
    • When editing a note, you can now tap the paper clip icon in the formatting bar to launch the iOS Document Picker
    • You can then select a source location, i.e. iCloud Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc., based on the iOS apps you have installed with document picker extensions
    • Select from the list of locations, and then select the file you would like to attach – a copy of that file will be added to your note
    • Note: the camera icon in the formatting bar will now launch a prompt to take a photo (or scan) or open your photo library to add images
  • Additional improvements
    • Improved PDF annotation, especially when using the Apple Pencil
    • Reduced minimum rectangle size for annotation
    • Fixed issue where selection tool broke highlighting ink in sketches
    • Improved sync performance
    • Fixed several crashes

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

Looking forward to this release. Curious to see how well the Apple Pencil works now. 

I need it because when I clip a webpage from iPad or iPhone, I would like to make the content simpler and read it comfortably. The plain text will remove pictures and it is useless.

19 hours ago, Alvin C said:

Simplify formatting was the only way to partially fix the bugs in outlining -- including basic copy and paste within an outline. I have thousands of notes with outlining and have submitted tickets about the bugs. But now that simplify formatting has been removed, I need to explore alternatives to EN. It's that important.

And, as Tovokas said above, simplify formatting is essential for bringing in web pages.

• Level 5
On August 30, 2016 at 10:38 AM, E-NoteForum said:

As far as I can tell, this bug is new to 7.16. I just reported it as ticket 1794028.

I have some notes with long strings, like file paths or long urls. On the Mac client, they wrap properly to the screen width. And when you're in editing mode on the iOS client, they wrap properly as well.

But in view mode on the iOS client they don't wrap, and since they have to fit on one line they end up making the rest of the text look ridiculously small and hard to read.

Hi,

Thanks for filing the ticket and reporting the issue here as well.

We're looking to get this fixed in an upcoming release. Meanwhile, you can use two fingers to pinch out to see the text at the normal size. I realize this is less than optimal.

Cheers,
Chuck

• Level 5
15 hours ago, rustinees said:

On my iPad Pro, this version destroyed my annotation for ink pages. Clicking anywhere while an area is selected will clear the selected area and paste is completely broken. If nothing is currently selected, no menu appears.

Hi,

That really doesn't sound good. We'll look into this.

Thanks,
Chuck

12 hours ago, cifip said:

Cheers,
Chuck

From worse to worser: some copy-and-paste operations from email don't work.

I don't have confidence in 'planning to' statements. Now that you know how important this is, may I suggest a revert and more thorough testing?

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, humanengr said:

From worse to worser: some copy-and-paste operations from email don't work.

Can you provide more details on this?

Its not something I use much, but I'm able to do a simple copy/paste of content

Not sure how to retain html formatting of clip from email posting to this forum.

update: I sent this in as an update to a support ticket.

afaics, make plain text doesn't remove all the html. In this case that prevents prepending any additional text before that clip.

On August 31, 2016 at 0:42 AM, Tovokas said:

Agreed, removing simplify formatting is a step in the wrong direction: I frequently use after bringing in web sites as well.

@Tovokas fwiw, for complete webpages (especially long ones), I sometimes use a PDF capture tool like To PDF or URL2PDF; too much hassle though if only for a selected part of a page.

On 31/8/2016 at 7:30 AM, Alvin C said:

I agree, the simplified formatting it's the right mode, and allows the use the iPad for edition of saved pages. We need it back!

16 hours ago, cifip said:

Hi folks,

Cheers,
Chuck

We'll wait, and if you can there is something needed: to select two or more notes and combine them like in the windows and mac versions.

I have been waiting for years to be able to attach files to existing notes from google drive, Dropbox etc instead of emailing to Evernote with the (+) sign.

Many thanks!!!

I just however find out I am not able to copy a PDF file within a note as I was able to do before.. :( Are you planning to reprogram this function? It would also be really helpful to be able to copy a PDF file from one note to the other. Is icy technically possible to do?

Archived