Increase notebook limit

Dereck

Idea

I've already read the multitude of posts on this topic. I've been an Evernote user since the beginning and I've always thought it was a great product. As soon as I thought of a feature, the Evernote folks have already been cooking it up. Recently I ran up against the notebook limit, I contacted customer support and they gave my the "you should use tags instead" line. I am a Developer myself, and while I do not purport to know how Evernote is built or the whoas of maintaining a system with so many users, I can't imagine any reason why arbitrarily setting a limit of 250 notebooks, improves system performance or usability. It seems that a decision was made that people should use tags rather than notebooks without any regard for how current users prefer to work. In particular, the fact that I choose to be a premium user and and still limited to 250 notebooks seems absurd. At least choose a number that very few people would run up against like 1000, or make the free limit 100 and the premium limit 1000, that way if the limit really bothers someone it will incentivize them to pay for your service. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, michaelzapun said:

I think its got more robust features that I use (maybe not you) but definately worth a second look if you haven't considered it lately.

OneNote was a full on cluster the last time I took a peek, from data loading to organizing to my workflows.  Who knows, maybe I have tailored my workflow around the idiosyncrasies of EN  or EN functionality matches my needs.  IAC EN works very well for me.  I hope OneNote works well for you.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, michaelzapun said:

Guys I have to tell you I'm working with OneNote for last 24 hours and so far I'm liking it a lot.  A LOT.  I think its got more robust features that I use (maybe not you) but definately worth a second look if you haven't considered it lately.  I also like that there's a way to "close a notebook" to get rid of clutter on files that I'm not using in a particular week.  I may wind up doing a full length review at some point for those that may want to consider.  

It's good to know that you think you've found "the one" (usually takes more than a day to find out if a tool is long-term livable or not), and I hope that it works out for you, but  I don't think it's a good idea to post a full length review in these forums (it that's your intention). Evernote knows that OneNote is out there as an alternative, and some tolerance for discussing it is obviously allowed, but in the past they've frowned on more full discussions on why an Evernote user might want to switch to a competitor. That policy may have changed, but it does feel a little bit impolite to me.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, michaelzapun said:

I'm not forced to sort the Order in the limited ways Evernote forces.  I can move sections and notes to any order I want.  That's huge for me

Can you add more details regarding the order.
The note sort options work well for me; there are user requests for a pinning feature.
I'm not clear on the sections comparison.

edit: The Order comment referred to the "pinning" feature
         The Sections comment referred to notebook hierarchy.

>>I may wind up doing a full length review at some point for those that may want to consider.

Not a good idea to post in the forums supplied by Evernote.  Post in the OneNote forum and post a link here.

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you add more details regarding the order.
The note sort options work well for me; there are user requests for a pinning feature.
I'm not clear on the sections comparison.

Sure.  In Evernote, when you create notes in a notebook, you are forced to use the order assigned by Evernote.  Or you can sort according to Evernote's parameters.  But in my practice, I needed to have notes in a different order.  Example, I always like to have my first note in in notebook (client matter) be "Status Report" and 2nd note be "People in this File" (etc.).  There was no easy way to do it.  In OneNote, you just drag and drop to any order you want. In OneNote you have notebooks, sections (tabs) and pages all of which you can put in whatever order you like.  

13 minutes ago, jefito said:

It's good to know that you think you've found "the one" (usually takes more than a day to find out if a tool is long-term livable or not), and I hope that it works out for you, but  I don't think it's a good idea to post a full length review in these forums (it that's your intention). Evernote knows that OneNote is out there as an alternative, and some tolerance for discussing it is obviously allowed, but in the past they've frowned on more full discussions on why an Evernote user might want to switch to a competitor. That policy may have changed, but it does feel a little bit impolite to me.

In hindsight you're right -  that this would not be the proper forum. 

3 hours ago, michaelzapun said:

Guys I have to tell you I'm working with OneNote for last 24 hours and so far I'm liking it a lot.  A LOT.  I think its got more robust features that I use (maybe not you) but definately worth a second look if you haven't considered it lately.  I also like that there's a way to "close a notebook" to get rid of clutter on files that I'm not using in a particular week.  I may wind up doing a full length review at some point for those that may want to consider.  

I tried OneNote over a year ago and didn't like it as much. I hope that Evernote increases the notebook limit and doesn't institute new price hikes so I don't have to explore OneNote or other apps again. But I will if necessary.

I look forward to your review.

Sad to see people are still talking about tags here.

This feature request is "Increase notebook limit".

Evernote supports notebooks. They have a limit of 250. This feature request is to increase that limit.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, iRQ said:

Evernote supports notebooks. They have a limit of 250. This feature request is to increase that limit.

Confirmed.  The request is posted at the top of the discussion.  1464212820_ScreenShot2018-09-28at21_06_21.png.e70949c7ae6fe4ff58605e81c54cb646.png
There are voting buttons to indicate your support.

If you're interested in work-around solutions, participate in the discussions that follow the feature request post.
Tags are one of the solutions suggested.  
There's also suggestions for archiving unused notebooks.

Don't be sad, put on a ? 

3 hours ago, iRQ said:

Yes, it is very sad. But it's good to have another comment in support of notebooks.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Etonreve said:

Yes, it is very sad. But it's good to have another comment in support of notebooks.

We got it.  You only want to read whiny boohoo posts and you see this as the purpose of the discussion forums,

Some of us use the the discussions as a learning experience.

• Level 5*
On 9/28/2018 at 3:19 PM, iRQ said:

Sure, everyone who mentions tags understands the request for notebooks. However, most of them are not Evernote employees, and cannot therefore change the Evernote service or applications. Indeed, some of them may have also requested it themselves, or at least voted for it. But more to your point, not all users understand that tags could be used as a workaround in case Evernote doesn't change this; in other words, it's informational, and not at all antagonistic to the idea that the some other users want the notebook limit increased,

• Level 5

Hi All,

I'm very excited to announce that we have officially increased the Notebook limit from 250 to 1,000 for all paid tiers.

You can see those new limits here:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/209005247

We will likely lock this thread soon so if you have any thoughts/questions feel free to reach out to me directly if you're unable to share those here in time!

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

I'm very excited to announce that we have officially increased the Notebook limit from 250 to 1,000 for all paid tiers.

Many thanks for increasing the Notebook limit.  I'm sure this will make many users very happy.

Unfortunately, for me and I suspect many others, it is too little too late.  For my workflow, without having nested, sub-notebooks to go with the increased limit, it does me little good.  Yes, I know we have Stacks, but that limitation is too severe to help me.

But, I am hopeful.  After resisting the requests of many, many users for many years, Evernote has now finally seen the light and fulfilled this request.  Maybe it is just the first shoe to drop.  Maybe sub-notebooks will be supported before long.  If Evernote did that, it would be huge iMO, not only for us users, but also for Evernote as a company.  It make Evernote a major contender for real project management, client management, property management, and other genres that really need a solid hierarchical structure.

39 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

We will likely lock this thread soon so if you have any thoughts/questions feel free to reach out to me directly if you're unable to share those here in time!

Awakening ?

Support tells me "it's impossible" to get more than 250... 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, DjBea said:

Awakening ?

My understanding is not that it was  "impossible".  It's a # that went from 100 to 250, and now 1000

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My understanding is not that it was  "impossible".  It's a # that went from 100 to 250, and now 1000

I have an archive of the email of the support written "impossible for technical reason"....
Maybe evernote team start to listen... 
Maybe they will add encrypt for whole notes... we can dream !

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

without having nested, sub-notebooks to go with the increased limit, it does me little good

Tags have a limit of 100,000.  There is a hierarchy, but it's only available on specific menus on specific platforms.

I don't think we'll ever see nested, sub-notebooks.  It's a much bigger project than changing a # that had no obvious technical base.

>>it is too little too late

I'm sticking with tags for organization.  
Not because it's "too late".  
I use Notebooks and Tags for two different purposes and an  overlap gets confusing.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Tags have a limit of 100,000.  There is a hierarchy, but it's only available on specific menus on specific platforms.

As you know, the tag hierarchy is ONLY a hierarchy of the tags themselves, and has no impact on notes and notebooks (except in EN Win).

While we have been forced to use tags where many of us would have preferred to use Notebooks, I believe that the basic notions of Notebooks (aka folders) and Tags are quite different.  In the macOS itself, I make very good use of both folders and macOS Finder Tags.  They are complementary with little overlap.  But then that is my design (of folder structure and tag structure). 

But please, let's not get into the eternal debate of tags vs notebooks here.  If anyone chooses to use tags rather than Notebooks, then fine.  But some of us recognize the value of hierarchical notebooks, while other don't (or choose not to).  If anyone wants to discuss tags vs notebooks, please provide a link to one of the many existing discussions of this debate, so everyone can discuss it there.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

has no impact on notes and notebooks (except in EN Win).

??? Why the EN Win exception

>>But please, let's not get into the eternal debate of tags vs notebooks here.

My point was on surviving with no Notebook hierarchy 

For me tags means organization, Notebooks means visual separation, for a number of purposes quite distinct from tagging. 

Same difference?  Maybe, but in Windows at least, the imaginary difference feels quite real, hence the need for nested notebooks to go along with the increase.  If that made any sense.

Currently I am using Notebook name tagging to create visual separation by sorting, which works sort of ok for now, while waiting for nesting.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Notebook name tagging to create visual separation

Can you provide more details on your naming standard.

My standard is to prefix the names with the "parent" levels
This results in the entries sorting alphabetically.

>>For me tags means organization, Notebooks means visual separation

This isn't a tag vs notebook discussion but I'm interested in the difference between organization and visual separation.
Can you provide examples?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, DjBea said:

Support told you that, correctly, because that was the limit at the time. Now it's 1,000, so it's currently impossible -to have more that that.

I have an archive of the email of the support written "impossible for technical reason"....
Maybe evernote team start to listen... 
Maybe they will add encrypt for whole notes... we can dream !

The "technical reason" was because that's the arbitrary limit they set at the time.

Encrypted notes could happen, sure, but at a guess it'll a little harder to implement than raising the notebook limit to a different arbitrary number; depends on where the notebook limit is kept/checked in the service. Still wouldn't want to deal with that many notebooks regularly in what is essentially a flat list -- even 100 would be more than I'd want -- but hopefully this will help out the folks who wanted more.

58 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you provide more details on your naming standard.

My standard is to prefix the names with the "parent" levels
This results in the entries sorting alphabetically.

Well, I use the parent idea only with tags, currently my naming is mostly designed to push notebooks up or down the list, an asterisk* in front of the name to push notebooks up plus bold and maybe red for emphasis, a japanese dash character 一 to push notebooks I don't want to see down to the end, a couple of stacks for neatness and to hide things as needed, and a few free standing notebooks above that I currently need.  Just trying different ways to see only what I want to see each day without complication.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

This isn't a tag vs notebook discussion but I'm interested in the difference between organization and visual separation.
Can you provide examples?

With tags, I try to devise ways to quickly find what I am looking for (I borrowed some ideas from your post about prefixes for What, Who, Where, When), so that if I type ?, all my Who tags come up, etc.

'What' is the hardest and the most numerous, for that I have devises a number of my own categories that work for me.

With notebooks my aim is not so much to find, but to hide notebooks, to push out of the way that which I do not need at the moment.  I have some notebooks called Old and similar names.  How I name them I explained some in the previous comment, very simple at the moment. 

For certain cases, I have a separate free account for notebooks I really don't want to see unless I have to (job training mostly), but that is not the best option from day to day.

I believe your approach is a lot more involved, but I have only seen bits and pieces that you have shared.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

What, Who, Where, When

That was my only organization concept, building hierarchies instead of completely separate entries.  A hierarchy even if it's only prefix naming.  Relational is better.

A concern with Notebooks the one-notebook-per-note.  I need a good reason to isolate a note in a notebook.

59 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That was my only organization concept, building hierarchies instead of completely separate entries.  A hierarchy even if it's prefix naming.  Relational is better.

A concern with Notebooks the one-notebook-per-note.  I need a good reason to isolate a note in a notebook.

Not quite sure what one notebook per note means, unless you mean one notebook per project, I have seen that debate.

For me notebooks are a way of not leaving things in my Inbox, which creates  psychological dissonance.  They also  help remind me I may need to still tag, rename, create note links, table of contents, etc. 

They also allow me to corral my tendency to "procrastinate" (the actual name of one of my two stacks).  My "Main" stack is for notebooks that have been mostly processed and organized, or at least prioritized.

But the idea of exporting things easily is another motivator, based on my experience trying to move everything into Evernote from my previous systems.  A need for large categories of things to deal with in an export/import scenario was very evident to me at the time, particularly with keeping track of whether I am losing notes.

Your naming system based on dates caught my attention, but I don't fully grasp enough of it to borrow the idea.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Not quite sure what one notebook per note means

Notes can only be assigned a single notebook.
Most of my notes do not fit a single assignment.

>>not leaving things in my Inbox

I also have a default notebook (@Inbox)
This is my collection tool; In processing, I move the notes to their proper notebook

>>Your naming system based on dates caught my attention, but I don't fully grasp enough of it to borrow the idea.

This was my note title standard; I prefix the title with the subject date.
- It gives me a place to store subject date.
- It allows me to sort notes into subject date sequence 

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

Notes can only be assigned a single notebook.
Most of my notes do not fit a single assignment.

Forgot about that.  That single assignment is the main functional difference from tags, which works for me, though there isn't a literal file separation in the program.

Apparently you use it to some limited extent.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Forgot about that.  That single assignment is the main functional difference from tags, which works for me, though in reality there isn't a physical file separation in the program.

You can certainly navigate your notes using the tag  tree in the desktop applications, if that's what you mean by "physical file separation". If you only use one tag per note (a policy you'd need to enforce on yourself), that's pretty much equivalent to navigating the notebook tree.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Apparently you use it to some limited extent (Notebook - single note assignment)

I avoid using notebooks; I resent the one notebook limitation.
There's also futher limitations in the search feature.

I use notebooks for the sync/local, online/offline, shared/private feature

3 hours ago, jefito said:

If you only use one tag per note (a policy you'd need to enforce on yourself), that's pretty much equivalent to navigating the notebook tree.

True, but that would be one more thing to have to remember, wouldn't it? 

I surmise whoever decided to include it in the program had that in mind.

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use notebooks for the sync/local, online/offline, shared/private feature

Ah, that makes sense.  I wonder if that creates literal file separation in the program, I guess I could take a look around later.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

File A and File B, vs the single large file, not that it really matters all that much.

What are files? Notes? Notebooks? Attachments? Evernote has only Notes, Notebooks, Stacks and tags. Are you talking about items displayed in the Evernote UI or the note storage database on disk? That latter shouldn't matter to users On Windows, it's mainly a single large file).

56 minutes ago, jefito said:

What are files? Notes? Notebooks? Attachments? Evernote has only Notes, Notebooks, Stacks and tags. Are you talking about items displayed in the Evernote UI or the note storage database on disk? That latter shouldn't matter to users On Windows, it's mainly a single large file).

Now I am the one who is not sure what that even means.

In the context of what DTLow was asking me and what I responded at least.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

I wonder if that creates literal file separation in the program, I guess I could take a look around later.

afaik   There's no literal file separation, and I'm looking at the actual database.
All notes are stored alongside each other in the database file/folder.
The notebook/tag assignment is simply an entry in the note metadata

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

I wonder if that creates literal file separation in the program, I guess I could take a look around later.

Notebooks/stacks are good for creating separation for searches.  Probably more a logical thing than a literal or physical thing.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:22 AM, jefito said:

In hindsight you're right -  that this would not be the proper forum. 

Funny how things go.  I all but converted over to One Note and then saw the thread about Evernote increasing number of notebooks to 1,000 which is great.  Im wondering if anyone knows whether there are limits on the number of STACKS you can create?   I'm torn between the two products.  It's a factor for me and I can't find anything on the subject. 

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, michaelzapun said:

Im wondering if anyone knows whether there are limits on the number of STACKS you can create?

afaik  There's no limit on the number of Stacks.
It's not stored as an actual entity; just a comment on the notebook record.
There might be a problem in the UI display if you create too many.  You could test this out and report back.  I'd take on the challenge but I only have 8 notebooks to work with 

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, michaelzapun said:

Im wondering if anyone knows whether there are limits on the number of STACKS you can create?

Currently (based on the Evernote SDK), a stack only exists as a field in a notebook; that is, every Evernote notebook has a stack name field, which may be empty. There is no separate list of stacks. When it comes time to display your notebook collection, all notes that have the same stack name are grouped together under that stack name, and those that have an empty stack name are listed separately. So to answer the question -- so long as the SDK reflects the actual underlying reality -- then the max number of stacks is the same as the max number of notebooks, or 1000 currently, since each stack can contain a minimum of 1 notebook (and you'd never do this).

20 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Shane:

That's terrific news.

THANK YOU.

55 minutes ago, michaelzapun said:

Funny how things go.  I all but converted over to One Note and then saw the thread about Evernote increasing number of notebooks to 1,000 which is great.  Im wondering if anyone knows whether there are limits on the number of STACKS you can create?   I'm torn between the two products.  It's a factor for me and I can't find anything on the subject. 

You have my sympathy. I'm glad that Evernote increased the number before I invested that kind of time into moving to another app. I think there is a limit to the number of stacks, but  can't tell you with certainty.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:42 AM, Rey San Pascual said:

I don't see anyone arguing that that Evernote isn't usable with the 250 notebook limit. I do see people requesting that Evernote's usability be enhanced by increasing the notebook limit.

I for one never argued that Evernote wasn't usable after having reached my 250 notebook limit, only that it was much, much easier, efficient, and more natural for me to use notebooks instead of tags. Time permitting, I use both a notebook and tags. But if I'm rushed it's easier simply to assign the note to a notebook. And there are many occasions when it was not possible to add tags because of the form of web clipper I was using.

I've moaned about the 250 limit on notebooks on this thread before, so very excited to hear about increase to 1000.  So took the dangerous step of updating Evernote for my Premium account on my Windows 10 PC, but, after installing,  it just told me that i can not have 250 notes.  :-( What gives?

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Seattlitte said:

I've moaned about the 250 limit on notebooks on this thread before, so very excited to hear about increase to 1000.  So took the dangerous step of updating Evernote for my Premium account on my Windows 10 PC, but, after installing,  it just told me that i can not have 250 notes.  :-( What gives?

I recommend you contact support on this at https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

I'm sure it's something simple.  We were told the limit is increased for paid accounts.

I hope you get the problem fixed soon.

• Level 5*

it just told me that i can not have 250 notes

How did it tell you?  Were you at 250 notebooks and then tried to create another?  Were you actually prohibited from creating 251?  Just wondering if you are seeing an old and now inaccurate error message.  

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

How did it tell you?  Were you at 250 notebooks and then tried to create another?  Were you actually prohibited from creating 251?  Just wondering if you are seeing an old and now inaccurate error message.  

I didn't upgrade, I already had Premium, but in the past when I tried to create a 251st notebook I would receive an error message. After the announcement, I selected the new notebook choice and Evernote created a notebook. That was all there was to it.

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

I was at 249.  After I updated, I right clicked a Stack, and "Create Notebook in ...".   The Message I get is "You cannot create more than 250 synchronized notebooks.  Please delete some of the existing synchronized notebooks and try again."   

It occurred to me that EverNote might have be trying to save me from myself.  I have another machine with an older (so still 250 limit) version of Evernote connected to the same account.  I update that one just noew  to 6.16.1.7953 (307953) Prerelease (CE Build ce-53.4.6770) -- its on Windows 8.1,  But trying to add a Notebook to the same stack as before creates the same message as above. 

The version of EN on my Windows 10 machine is 6.15.4.7934 (307934) Public (CE Build ce-53.4.6700) and clicking Help\Check for Updates on that machine assures me I have the latest update.    I'll try again in a few days.  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Seattlitte said:

I was at 249.  After I updated, I right clicked a Stack, and "Create Notebook in ...".   The Message I get is "You cannot create more than 250 synchronized notebooks.  Please delete some of the existing synchronized notebooks and try again."   

It occurred to me that EverNote might have be trying to save me from myself.  I have another machine with an older (so still 250 limit) version of Evernote connected to the same account.  I update that one just noew  to 6.16.1.7953 (307953) Prerelease (CE Build ce-53.4.6770) -- its on Windows 8.1,  But trying to add a Notebook to the same stack as before creates the same message as above. 

The version of EN on my Windows 10 machine is 6.15.4.7934 (307934) Public (CE Build ce-53.4.6700) and clicking Help\Check for Updates on that machine assures me I have the latest update.    I'll try again in a few days.  

You show up here as a premium member so I would think this should be working now for you.  Time to contact support.  One last thought, if you haven't recently, log out of your account and then back in to see if that resets you correctly.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Seattlitte said:

After I updated, I right clicked a Stack, and "Create Notebook in ...".   

Did you try to just create a notebook, not in a stack?

On 10/6/2018 at 11:38 AM, s2sailor said:

You show up here as a premium member so I would think this should be working now for you.  Time to contact support.  One last thought, if you haven't recently, log out of your account and then back in to see if that resets you correctly.

Great suggestion!  I logged out (not just closed EN) , reopened, logged in - and I'm creating additional  notebooks beyond 250  - without warnings or issues. Oh, the Heady freedom! 

Thanks EN for responding to our requests for this increase.

Philip

Archived