Idea

I've already read the multitude of posts on this topic. I've been an Evernote user since the beginning and I've always thought it was a great product. As soon as I thought of a feature, the Evernote folks have already been cooking it up. Recently I ran up against the notebook limit, I contacted customer support and they gave my the "you should use tags instead" line. I am a Developer myself, and while I do not purport to know how Evernote is built or the whoas of maintaining a system with so many users, I can't imagine any reason why arbitrarily setting a limit of 250 notebooks, improves system performance or usability. It seems that a decision was made that people should use tags rather than notebooks without any regard for how current users prefer to work. In particular, the fact that I choose to be a premium user and and still limited to 250 notebooks seems absurd. At least choose a number that very few people would run up against like 1000, or make the free limit 100 and the premium limit 1000, that way if the limit really bothers someone it will incentivize them to pay for your service. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

I'm officially locking this thread, but I'll leave it here for posterity for the time being.

That being said, it appears that the notebook increase announcement has triggered some good suggestions/feedback/feature requests from you all.

Please create new threads in the appropriate location for those requests so that we can better track and quantify them.

As always, feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions!

Hi All,

I'm very excited to announce that we have officially increased the Notebook limit from 250 to 1,000 for all paid tiers.

You can see those new limits here:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/209005247

We will likely lock this thread soon so if you have any thoughts/questions feel free to reach out to me directly if you're unable to share those here in time!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Hi All, its 2018 and i been reading this thread for the last few days from it inception listed date of 2015.

I have just hit my limit of 250 notebooks, im a plus user. Is there a way of increasing the number notebooks now?

• Like 1

Sad to see people are still talking about tags here.

This feature request is "Increase notebook limit".

Evernote supports notebooks. They have a limit of 250. This feature request is to increase that limit.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2016 at 0:08 AM, marianco said:

250 folders is simply too small a number to organize the information I have.

Sure, tags can be used.  But tags takes more work, more typing, more time to use.  And you have to do a search every time you want to find your data.

To be clear, I'm assuming when you say "folders" you mean "notebooks", since Evernote does not have an entity named "folders".

Actually, tags can be used in a very similar way that EN Notebooks are used, but even better since:

• Tags are virtually unlimited (100,000)
  • Tags can be organized hierarchically

For more info, see Using Tags as Pseudo Notebooks 

• Like 2

On 2017-11-17 at 12:51 AM, DjBea said:

I'am premium user since 2010 and i have enough with the 250 limit for notebook !

As you noted, evernote has a limit of 250 notebooks for Personal Accounts (What-are-the-system-limits-of-Evernote-)  10,000 Notebooks for Business Accounts

Until this is changed, you could look at alternative organization methods.  Evernote has a Tags feature, with a 100,000 limit; another benefit is unlimited hierarchy (Mac/Windows)

I'd like to be able to have > 250 notebooks as well.

I find it much easier to locate what I need this way, rather than just using tags.

I don't know why there is a limit - presumably there's no practical limit on the number of notes (except storage space)?

• Like 1

I totally agree with those who feel that 250 is too small for a Premium paid account. I have a small university research lab and its very important to create folders based on different levels of access. I have used Evernote Premium for as long as I can remember an now that I'm up against that 250 notebook limit it is severely impacting teh way we share information. Tags are confusing and not an option especially since it doesn't lend itself to different levels of access. MS Onenote has no such limits and unfortunately if I can't add more notebooks I will have to switch over to that until evernote management addresses this. Kind of sad that the Evernote Premium account has become a second class citizen and offers less value than free Onenote

• Like 1

I'm not actually sure why it's limited to 250 notebooks-- given that tags are limited to 10k and content uploads, note sizes, and note counts are also limited, it seems a bit superfluous to me. I'm looking into it a bit to see if I can get a better explanation.

Edit:

Asked around, there were historical reasons to have a limit at 250, having to do with client UI and such. Those reasons have since been solved. It's still not as simple as changing a number, but it's easy enough now that it could happen. I don't think there are any plans to do it but I personally would like to see it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2,500 Notebooks should be a minimum. I suppose Evernote can make it 25,000 and make it a non-issue for just about everyone.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

No one is arguing against increasing the notebook limit.  It's a  number arbitrarily set by Evernote.

We are arguing about the concept that Evernote is not useable with this limit.

For those who can live with less than 250 notebooks, it's perfectly usable. For those like me who are needing more than 250 notebooks at this point, Evernote is less than perfectly usable. If the 250 maximum notebook limit is arbitrarily set by Evernote when it was increased from the also presumably arbitrary limit of 100 notebooks, then Evernote can arbitrarily increase it again.

I don't see anyone arguing that that Evernote isn't usable with the 250 notebook limit. I do see people requesting that Evernote's usability be enhanced by increasing the notebook limit.

My other recommendation in the mean time to help users still under 250 notebook limit is to set a flag or warning or message at some arbitrary point when a user has created a certain number of notebooks, perhaps at 125 notebooks and again at 200 notebooks. People have pointed out that the limits are published and available. But either I didn't read that part or glossed over it during my learning curve. I placed a lot of thought in how I arranged and structured my information. A reminder of the limit would have been helpful so that I could have adjusted my information map a lot earlier on to account for the limit than having to deal with the limit at a time when I need to create my 251st notebook. And I'm not going to start a new thread/request on this idea. I'll let an Evernote employee do it if they want to; I'm busy trying to deal with the 250 notebook limit.

• Like 1

What's the actual reason why EN refuse to increase the limit (Notepads + Notes)? 

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? Is it an option EN are open to explore?

•  
  • Like 1

When I started , I used Evernote for myself, synched across multiple machines.  I used  a mixture of tags and notes.  Once I was confident with how useful Evernote was, I started using it will collaborators.  I quickly realized a) Evernote sharing mechanics were horrible b) could only share notebooks, not tags.  Evernote really improved their sharing mechanics, but left us in the lurch with no tag sharing and the 250 notebook limit.  I maxed out three years ago.  

Problems with living with this limit:

a) as someone above wrote, Evernote does not make it clear which were the added notebooks that put you over the limit.  If you deleted notebooks to make room, the synch gets stuck if it you added 1 notebook having deleted 5, but it saw the add as happening first..  And as i synch across multiple machines that I work on simultaneously, , thing can get horrible.

b) I just spent an hour with a colleague trying to figure out why i couldn't see his newly shared notebook.  We're pretty sure now that though I had made room by deleting some notebooks, sync is convinced I'm over limit again again.  But what really bugs me is that he didn't get any message that the Notebook had failed to share, and I got no message that someone had tried to share a notebook with me but couldn't.  He is an older gentleman and assumes that he erred somehow when tech doesn't work.  

I'm assuming that EN wants us to use EN to collaborate.  i've brought them 6 paying customers  over the last 3 years.    Its how you grow a paying network.  But I am now open to new knowledge organizing and sharing products  - i just haven't found one half as good as EN.  OneNote -- ha, ha, ha:-(.

Philip

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

I am wondering does this limit only apply to Synced Notebooks and are local Notebooks in the Windows client exempt from this.

I'm pretty sure notebook number and note size restrictions apply to both local and sync'd.

58 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

Also, without going into Tags vs. Notebooks arguments | discussions, I recommend everybody to evaluate their "thinking" and "habits" as we all are used to the folder structure since Windows 3.1 (if not MS DOS 6.x versions) and our thinking is just mimicking that. I am a firm believer of what works for you is the best system whether notebooks or tags, but if there is a limit by the developer and now it is going to interfere with your workflow | system, it may be time to re-evaluate and maybe try something new. Just a recommendation.

I liken it to Drawers in a Filing cabinet with the Notebooks sub-dividers in this drawer which were around long before DOS and Windows and this suits me better. I did experiment with Tagging as an alternative and while it has it's uses I found it cumbersome particularly when it came time to share to share notes with a third party. Tagging becomes useless at this point.

Evernote sells itself as a second/external brain and it is important that we as individual learn what works for us. I know that Evernote are proponents of tagging. Well if that is the case then allow tagged notes to be shared by tags. Otherwise you have to go down the Notebook route at least partially. I agree with you about software limitations and workflow but I have tried other applications and none of them match Evernote features. It has its "quirks" and we have to learn to work around them.

As a teacher I show my student multiple ways of working out things as what works for me will not work for everyone. I tell them there are 4 ways of doing anything, The right way, the wrong way, my way and your way and if 3 of those produce the same result they are the right way. I would encourage everyone to take the time to try new ways of working and organising but don't fall into the trap that there is only one way that works. I regularly see proponents of Dave Allens Method, structuring Evernote as a productivity tool. Tried it and hated it. I see Evernote as a storage and Reference hub in my workflow not a productivity tool per-say and Notebooks suit this better IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:
7 minutes ago, Jim Finn said:

I liken it to Drawers in a Filing cabinet with the Notebooks sub-dividers in this drawer which were around long before DOS and Windows and this suits me better

Are you sure Evernote is the best product for you to use?

As a paperless based note and information storage system yes. I not only use it for web clippings, I also use it to store receipts and other important documentation in pdf format (both Synced and Local for more personal documentation such as bank statements etc.) Is there an alternative you might suggest as I have tried many of them and stay with Evernote.

I currently have 60 Notebooks and over 5000 notes across a wide range of categories.

One example of a use is I recently had to make an insurance claim against a builder that caused damage in mu home. I had copies of every document and email exchanged with builder as well as notes on every phone call and was able to share all this information with my insurance company who were able to successfully recover most of the costs from the builders insurance.

I also use it to keep track of both my progress in teaching topics as well as students progress via an attached Excel spreadsheet. When I had a subject inspection a few years ago I was able to share this notebook with the inspection team as my class records. 

I'am still waiting evernote team to listen for their customers... 
In the futur you will remove this limit, why waiting more ?
This limit is absurd and don't have sense.

I've just read a text Evernote sent me from Stacy Harmon : She prefer Notebook... ( https://blog.evernote.com/fr/2018/06/08/sorganiser-avec-carnets/?utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EVN-ENG-NLS-EM-88-8888-Newsletter_062718&utm_content=button )

I don't like answer from support : It's a technical limit, we can't do more ! 
In software limits are where you to place it...  

Maybe some of users dont need more than 250 notebook, i think i'am not the only one that would like more than 250.

I'am not happy with the choice of evernote team
Adding features that i don't need, and don't add basic missing features (like search & replace expressions across notes).
It's seems to have no collaboration between evernote team and users. 

Notes and data store in evernote are not private.

When i tell to support My data on evernote servers are not encrypted, so evernote team can read my notes....
The answer is : "data are encrypted between your computer and our server". 
And they may say " we have strict policy.... no one in evernote team will read your notes", how many times it happen in lots of company with same policy, private user data have been stolen by member of the team or pirat ?
If notes was encrypted on the evernote server, it would be more secure. And also encryption may be done in local files.

As i told before, i like the evernote concept. i think it as a great potential, but now it's going wrong.

• Like 1

I'm planning to go for the premium but no encryption thing (only text encryption is *****) and the privacy thing is making me cold feet. I know EN in their policy pledged to not look at user notes but once they did and that still raises questions and does not give peace of mind. Now another thing I came to know is we have a limit of 250 Notebooks in premium. 

So, currently, my issues are: 
1) No PROPER ENCRYPTION thing. Text encryption is *****. It does not even let encrypt bullet point and automatic numbers. I have manually written "1)" and then "2)" in another line below and then goes like "10" or "15", depending on the number of important points. It does get boring right? Text encryption won't encrypts bullets or automatic numbers, wow as if they put the option, users won't like lol.

2) Privacy Issue. I very well know that EN pledged NOT to look at user notes but my question is why would they even look at the first place and then pledge later by releasing a new privacy policy? That does still leave doubt and we don't get complete peace of mind.

3) Limiting to 250 Notebooks in premium. I'm a guy that needs to have max notebooks as I sort down business as well as personal things too so we should get unlimited in premium.

I'm still considering to get premium but I am getting cold feet. It's such a great app but this Encryption and Privacy issue is kinda ruining it to be honest. And now came to know 250 limits, more amazing lol.

You DON'T even listen to your fans who love your app and WANT to continue using your app. You still DON'T care about full encryption and privacy issues.

At least GIVE the option to encrypt whole Notebook or individual notes like your BIGGEST COMPETITOR -> ONE NOTE!

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting an increase of the 250 Notebook Limit have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for an increase of the 250 Notebook Limit here!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Naveed said:

Hi All, its 2018 and i been reading this thread for the last few days from it inception listed date of 2015.

I have just hit my limit of 250 notebooks, im a plus user. Is there a way of increasing the number notebooks now?

Hi Naveed,

The only option for going over 250 notebooks is through an Evernote Business account (~360/year). Those accounts allow up to 10,000 notebooks.

https://evernote.com/compare-plans

RQ

Absurd and Absolutely ridiculous they would limit to 250 notebooks!!

PLEASE ?? PLEASE =>INCREASE THIS LIMIT!  IAM at 215 notebooks right now!  : ( .. . .

?

• Thanks 1

Well, I tell you that so far, I'm liking One-Note.  I set up the evernote stacks as notebooks, the notebooks as sections and the sections as pages, etc.  What I'm liking so far about One Note is that I'm not forced to sort the Order in the limited ways Evernote forces.  I can move sections and notes to any order I want.  That's huge for me.  I will report further findings as I go along. 

Guys I have to tell you I'm working with OneNote for last 24 hours and so far I'm liking it a lot.  A LOT.  I think its got more robust features that I use (maybe not you) but definately worth a second look if you haven't considered it lately.  I also like that there's a way to "close a notebook" to get rid of clutter on files that I'm not using in a particular week.  I may wind up doing a full length review at some point for those that may want to consider.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iRQ said:

Sad to see people are still talking about tags here.

This feature request is "Increase notebook limit".

Evernote supports notebooks. They have a limit of 250. This feature request is to increase that limit.

Yes, it is very sad. But it's good to have another comment in support of notebooks.

31 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

I'm very excited to announce that we have officially increased the Notebook limit from 250 to 1,000 for all paid tiers.

Many thanks for increasing the Notebook limit.  I'm sure this will make many users very happy.

Unfortunately, for me and I suspect many others, it is too little too late.  For my workflow, without having nested, sub-notebooks to go with the increased limit, it does me little good.  Yes, I know we have Stacks, but that limitation is too severe to help me.

But, I am hopeful.  After resisting the requests of many, many users for many years, Evernote has now finally seen the light and fulfilled this request.  Maybe it is just the first shoe to drop.  Maybe sub-notebooks will be supported before long.  If Evernote did that, it would be huge iMO, not only for us users, but also for Evernote as a company.  It make Evernote a major contender for real project management, client management, property management, and other genres that really need a solid hierarchical structure.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2018 at 11:38 AM, s2sailor said:

You show up here as a premium member so I would think this should be working now for you.  Time to contact support.  One last thought, if you haven't recently, log out of your account and then back in to see if that resets you correctly.

Great suggestion!  I logged out (not just closed EN) , reopened, logged in - and I'm creating additional  notebooks beyond 250  - without warnings or issues. Oh, the Heady freedom! 

Thanks EN for responding to our requests for this increase.

Philip

• Like 2

Since Evernote haven't made any move in this direction over the several years that folks have been asking for it,  I can only assume they looked at it,  compared the difficulty and cost of retooling their system to allow more notebooks with the likely gain in revenue from the relatively few users who have persistently asked for it,  and have concluded that the effort just ain't worth the candle.  Plus they have hundreds of thousands of users who are quite happy with the current limit and are presumably growing at a reasonable rate through adding other features.  I'd say the idea of creating a new tier of users and charging more for the privilege would be more expensive to implement than anything else - there would be so much to change (and so much outrage from other users) that there would be no actual gain.

End of the day,  it's their game,  so their rules!  :)

It is unlikely that Evernote will step in with an explanation. The question has been posed many times in this forum.

My observation is that many people starting up with Evernote create a lot of notebooks (with just a few tags). That is what I did when I started 7 years ago. And several other users have mentioned they did the same when they started.  I realized the power of using very specific tags vs. very specific notebooks. I changed my perspective toward general broad-based notebooks (job, home, leisure, bills, misc) instead.

Evernote strongly believes in the power of tags.  Their program as you noticed seems to reflect their belief.

• Tags are almost unlimited - Evernote set the limit at 100,000 tags.
  • Notes can have multiple tags - but a note can only belong to single notebook
  • Tags can be nested for easy grouping or organization - difficult with lots of notebooks
  • Like 1

@gazumped, sorry but I really hate the argument, their game, their rules, by that logic, why have any user feedback at all. I also would bet that at this point it is simply bureaucracy and arbitrary limitation that create the limitation and not "because they looked at it", apparently they moved it from 100 - 250, so they could have moved it to any number, they just chose not to because they want people to use tags. They probably have not looked at it because they don't think it effects enough people, but I think most people use notebooks, and eventually when they have been using Evernote long enough will run into the same issue.

• Like 2

Well,  user feedback is because once in a blue moon us users come up with a really good idea that didn't occur to the Devs because they're locked in a cage somewhere trying to invent a useful app without having the real world experience of using it for boring repetitive tasks in lots of different situations. 

Plus it's complicated app,  and (example only here) when they changed the screen shade to 'lighter',  someone didn't realise that an obscure key combination would then launch GTW.  Once one of us hits the combination,  they can find the code and change it. 

Folks on the forums here come up with hundreds of different schemes for colours / tagging / additional features / pricing,  and I'd be surprised if more than 1 or 2% of them actually see the light of day. 

Evernote get to choose which,  based only slightly on the forum feedback - they'll do surveys,  blind trials,  internal tests,  risk evaluations and about 100 other things that they don't have the time or the inclination to detail back to the user-base.  They'll make a commercial decision and see what feedback they get.

I also would bet that at this point it is simply bureaucracy and arbitrary limitation that create the limitation and not "because they looked at it", apparently they moved it from 100 - 250, so they could have moved it to any number, they just chose not to because they want people to use tags. They probably have not looked at it because they don't think it effects enough people, but I think most people use notebooks, and eventually when they have been using Evernote long enough will run into the same issue.

This is a whoooooole lotta assuming. I vaguely remember at some point perhaps some staff member mentioned a reason why there's a limit, and IIRC (which I very well may NOT, so please don't take it as fact) it has something to do with the way the database works. Something like, they're stored in notebooks but tags just connect them, so notebooks are heftier to deal with in the backend while tags are easy and light. At least, that's how I remember it vaguely going.

You don't know that it's bureaucracy, arbitrary, that they didn't look at it, or that they could move it to any number. What we do know, however, is that Evernote has what, 100,000,000 ish users, and while people do grumble about the notebook limit, it's obviously not a show-stopper for most. Sure, most people use notebooks to some extent (everyone has to use at least one, after all), but I don't believe the numbers agree with the assessment that most use 250 notebooks.

I've been using Evernote for 5 years (soon to be 6) and I've never hit the limit. I started using Evernote with notebooks and soon realized I had too many items I wanted in two notebooks, so off to tags I went and I haven't looked back.

• Like 2

Dereck - The 250 Notebook limit with EN sounds like a very upsetting matter to you. I'm offering a way to "work around" it.

There is a way to "simulate" many more Notebooks, using Tags. (I suspect this will irritate you some, but please bear with me.) Here's how:

Create Tags with this syntax for their names: "N-XXXXXXXXXX" (not including the quote marks), where the XXXXXXXXXX is any word(s) you want. (Think of the "N" as implying that you are using a Tag to "simulate" a Notebook.)

When you create a Note, assign the appropriate "N-XXXXXXXXXX" Tag.

When you want to see a list of these "simulated" Notebooks", click on "Tags" from the main EN screen on your device. That will show you all Tags in alphabetical order. Your "N-XXXXXXXXXX" Tags will be grouped together, looking very much like a list of Notebooks. - - - You could even combine these under a common Tag group name, like "Notebooks". (It would be just like a "stack" of Notebooks.) On the Windows version of EN, this also provides a blank line and horizontal line before the list of such Tags, thus making the set of "simulated" Notebooks stand out even a little more.

When you want to see all and only the Notes within a specific "simulated" Notebook, (a) click on its Tag on the master list of all Tags or (B) do an EN search for that Tag.

If you think about it, given the above technique, there was really no practical reason for the EN developers to ever have included Notebooks in the design of EN. However, doing so does help those people who would have difficulty abandoning the "Folder/Sub-Folder" structure paradigm that has been around for over 30 years and to help people who were switching from some other note-taking app to EN that used something like a Notebook.
  • Like 1

On May 18, 2016 at 10:03 AM, aviposluns@invisionapp.com said:

Does the 250 rule apply only to free plans, or to the paid plans as well.  

I've been trying to contact evernote, asking them this question (which essentially is me offering to pay for an account).  No response yet.  

All Evernote accounts (Basic, Plus and Premium) are subject to the 250 notebook limitation. 

• Like 1

This is an bug issue that has not been fixed. I am sorry, I did not found the "BUGS" section here.

First I'd like to have more folders to create. I found I have reached 250 folders long ago and I am "suffocating".

And when I delete other folders to make place for new, I cannot syncronize and I need to reinstall evernote everytime that happens.

Alredy wrote to the support twice, and I you still have not taken action.

I'll segregate my payment plan or search for other options for productivity management.

p.s. Having first page in Russian not in international English is almost insulting for a Bulgarian. Please correct that.

I am an Evernote premium user. I use the app extensively for my Handyman business. This is the way I use it currently:

Clients (notebook stack)

Client 1 (notebook)

Note 1

Note 2

Client 2 (notebook)

Note 1 

Note 2

It is my understanding that Evernote premium users are limited to 250 notebooks. I am on my second premium Evernote account in order to accommodate my current needs for Evernote. My second Evernote account is nearly full and I will need to open up a third account soon. I understand this is good for Evernote but it's horrible for me not only because of the cost but it a major pain to sign out of one account and sign into another account on my iOS device. Am I doing something wrong here? Or maybe Evernote just isn't the right thing for my business. 

Thanks, 

Danny 

• Like 2

Evernote are pretty set on tags over notebooks, historically. Maybe they will increase the limit, but I wouldn't bet my business on it. Is there some reason that tags wouldn't work for you?

2 hours ago, ARCMAN said:

Am I doing something wrong here? Or maybe Evernote just isn't the right thing for my business. 

Its not that you're doing it wrong, but your organization method isn't working well
I'd suggest an alternative

Clients (notebook)

Client 1 (Tag xxx)
          Note 1 - title   Client xxx: <date> yyyyyyyyyyyyy   Tag xxx
          Note 2 - title   Client xxx: <date> zzzzzzzzzzzzzz   Tag xxx

Client 2 (Tag nnnn)

Note 1  - title   Client nnnn: <date> yyyyyyyyyyyy  Tag nnnn
          Note 2  - title   Client nnnn: <date> zzzzzzzzzzzz   Tag nnnn

The Clients are tags, not notebooks.  The limit is 100,000

I'd also put the client and date into the title.  It gives some redundancy in case you forget to add a tag

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My recommendation is to delete as many notebooks as you can and focus on tag organization.  I recently ran into the 250 limit and it was insane how they give you NO IDEA how many notebooks you need to delete and you can't successfully do it from the Desktop client.  I had to delete from the web app and eventually, WA LA!!! 

Anyway I'm happier now and wish I just used the tag system a long time ago.   

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Ricky said:

...notebooks you need to delete and you can't successfully do it from the Desktop client.  I had to delete from the web app and eventually,

Notebooks can be deleted from the desktop clientScreen Shot 2016-11-04 at 11.18.46 PM.png
This is from my Mac, and right clicking on the notebook

• Sad 1

It is important to understand the 250 limit on Notebooks and plan accordingly.

The answer as stated is with Tags. This is really just another way of putting different Notes in different boxes, or drawers. Instead of Notebooks, they are in Tags.

I would also suggest that when something is completed you move it to an Archive Notebook. This keeps is out of your way and releases some of those Notebooks that you probably don't need.

I have 30K Notes and manage with a number of strategically named and organised Notebooks.

Regards

Chris

• Sad 1

I encountered the 250 notebooks limit on my windows client (version 6.4.2.3788) and was able to solve it (after deleting many notebooks).

1. sync (failed)

2. Help -> Activity Log (found out that the sync failed because of a specific note)

3. deleted the "problematic" note and emptied the trash.

Hope that helps.

Same issue as Arcman. One client per notebook. Now hitting 250 notebook limit. Wish I could have more notebooks.

For those saying "You're holding it wrong." I get it. I love databases. I love labels in GMail. I loved del.icio.us. I get why tags are better™. 

But the mental model of separate notebooks for always separate collections of information is much more comfortable and efficient to work with than tags in some situations, such as client specific work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iRQ said:

Same issue as Arcman. One client per notebook. Now hitting 250 notebook limit. Wish I could have more notebooks.

There's the Business Account level - 10,000 notebooks

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

There's the Business Account level - 10,000 notebooks

Thanks...looking into Business Account level now...

I just reached Evernotes 250 notebook limit.  And I'm irritated.

I am a physician. I study subjects including all of neuroscience, psychology, psychiatry, endocrinology, immunology, neurology, general medicine, gastroenterology, nutrition, pharmacology, technology, computer programming, web design, photography, videography, exercise and sports, language, culture, etc.

250 folders is simply too small a number to organize the information I have.

Sure, tags can be used.  But tags takes more work, more typing, more time to use.  And you have to do a search every time you want to find your data.

I am not an office clerk. Time is important. 

Both tags and notebooks are simply pointers to the actual data.  if 100,000 tags are allowed, then why not 100,000 notebooks?

Further, since notebooks only have two level hierarchy, why not more levels?

Please make Evernote much more useful for us.

Weaknesses like this are openings for competitors. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, marianco said:

Both tags and folders are simply pointers to the actual data.  if 100,000 tags are allowed, then why not 100,000 folders?

You might want to edit your post and change Folders to Notebooks

I agree both tags and notebooks are technically just pointers however they have different purposes and weren't designed to be interchangeable for organization purposes.  

I'd suggest you need to consider your approach to tags.

I am forced to use tags because I ran out of notebooks. 

I have only 10,000+ notes.  This is only a fraction of what I want to enter.

Evernote stated "Evernote started with the aspiration to become your external brain."

The problem is that this is too small of an external brain.

For example, there are more than 64,000 medical diagnoses that I use in ICD10 and DSMV.

There are thousands of CPT medical procedures.

There are thousands of symptoms. There are thousands of neurotransmitters, hormones, and other molecular signals.

There are thousands of medications and supplements.

Add all of the categories in neuroscience, basic sciences, medicine, psychiatry, biology, biochemistry, etc. and you will quickly outstrip Evernote's tag capabilities with only one note for each tag.

As a physician, Evernote is a very small peripheral brain.  I realize I have to limit the information I store in Evernote because it is limited.  

The 10 GIG monthly data limit is actually not the problem. I seldom reach it once I realized Evernote wasn't designed to handle large PDFs which take forever to synchronize once I made a change.  

The problem is Evernote's limited ability to categorize data.  

Evernote's limitations make it more a small pocket notebook where its limitations in categorization and storage are kept in mind. This makes Evernote akin to the Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia.  It cannot hold the data of the much larger Physician's Desk Reference.

Microsoft OneNote on the other hand is  akin to several large binder notebooks which can contain the organized data of the Physician's Desk Reference and hundred's of textbooks.

OneNote has no note size limitation other than the size of your hard drive. It has unlimited numbers of notes.  It has unlimited sections - which are like Evernote's Notebooks.  And it has multiple notebooks - which are like having multiple simultaneous Evernote Accounts.  The primary problem of OneNote is the user interface. And it is glacially improving. But already, it has copied Evernote's 3-pane view. With further copying, it should eventually become a viable unlimited clone of Evernote. With Microsoft's CEO wanting it to be the primary cloud company, development may eventually be very aggressive.

Additionally, OneNote for Business is HIPAA Patient Privacy compliant.  Evernote is not. Evernote's desire to add machine learning and access to your data doesn't bode well for future HIPAA compliance.

I hope Evernote keeps ahead of the game by continuing to improve its product.  I like it.  I find it convenient to use.  But running up against it limitations is frustrating and irritating - and a learning experience.  Microsoft OneNote is not a viable replacement yet.  So I'd like Evernote to improve its usefulness as a peripheral brain. 

Note that a single human brain can contain all of the data on the internet at this moment. Our memory for pattern recognition - i.e. tags - is close to unlimited.  So a peripheral brain with only 250 folders and 100,000 tags is clearly not enough. It is like scraps of paper compared to what we can actually store. 

• Thanks 1

Whilst I believe that more notebooks would be great, don't you find its a little cluttered with all of them? IMO, i think that if you hit the limit, it would start working against you, not with you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, marianco said:

Both tags and notebooks are simply pointers to the actual data.  if 100,000 tags are allowed, then why not 100,000 notebooks?

Further, since notebooks only have two level hierarchy, why not more levels?

Please make Evernote much more useful for us.

Weaknesses like this are openings for competitors. 

Tags are not pointers to data; instead, tags comprise a language that you can use to describe your data (think "adjective"). If you need to have an individual tag to describe each note you have, you're not doing things the Evernote way, and it may not be the product for you. If you need a unique identifier for each note, then you should consider using note titles as that identifier; many users have a title naming scheme that works for their needs.

The notebook limit (currently 250) has been in place for several years; increasing the limit is a popular request (try searching the forum; forum topics also turn up in web searches). Evernote have not seemed inclined to increase that, most likely because, as a company, they are convinced that tagging is a better way to categorize and organize your notes. In Evernote, notebooks are better suited as vehicles for sharing a set of notes with other users, or, on the desktop, preventing a set of notes from being synced to the Evernote servers, or, for mobile, ensuring that a set of notes is always available on the device.

Arbitrary notebook nesting is also a popular request (again, search the forums); again Evernote have resisted adding it (with the minor addition of stacks, which mainly gives you a simple way to organize notebooks visually, though you can also search a stack. gain, the Evernote answer is usually "use tags". Evernote staff has seemed to have stopped discussing this sort of stuff, but the groundwork was laid sometime in the 2008 timeframe, when the then CTO of Evernote, Dave Engberg, spent a fair amount of time in the forums interacting with users on just these sorts of topics. The philosophy doesn't seem to have changed much, if at all.

With regard to competitors, Evernote seems to hold up pretty well, and works well for many people, both for personal and work uses. Could it be better? You bet. But nothing I've seen out there matches my own mental approach nearly as well, not even the vaunted, and "free" OneNote. Your mileage may vary.

Edit: some fun reading: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/2473-archived-suggestionability-to-add-new-notebookstop-level-please/. Also: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96180-nesting-multiple-notebooks-creating-sub-notebooks/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marianco said:

you will quickly outstrip Evernote's tag capabilities with only one note for each tag.

You really need to change your approach to using tags

• Like 1

On 2016-12-12 at 10:08 PM, marianco said:

And you have to do a search every time you want to find your data.

Right - Search based on a Tag or Search based on a Notebook 

I have frequently used Tags/Notebooks in my shortcuts area

As a Premium user for sometime I am continually frustrated by the limit on 250 folders and perplexed why this should be such a hinderance when I have ample overall storage space in my plan. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, k8sc said:

As a Premium user for sometime I am continually frustrated by the limit on 250 folders and perplexed why this should be such a hinderance when I have ample overall storage space in my plan. 

The Notebook limit is an arbitrary number set by Evernote; they may change the limit some day

From the very start Evernote established a preference for organization by Tags.  You should look at this feature; benefits include

• icreased limit to 100,000
  • multiple tags per notes
  • unlimited hierarchy

I switched to using tags when I continually hit the 250 limit. I still prefer notebooks for separating clients.

Tags are definitely more difficult to use, and more prone to mistakes (wrong tag = "lost" note).

In a given notebook a user can create a new blank note and the note is automatically created in the same notebook. Not so with tags. Create a new note and it has no tags. Add the wrong tag, forget to add a tag, that note is "gone".

A lot of the support for tags doesn't really hold up. For example this list of bullet points includes two that make no sense, and one I'm going to look into.

• icreased limit to 100,000 
    • This is literally what people are requesting of Notebooks.
  • multiple tags per notes
    • Using a notebook does not preclude a note from having multiple tags.
  • unlimited hierarchy
    • I'm going to look into this; I'm not sure what it means.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iRQ said:

Tags are definitely more difficult to use, and more prone to mistakes (wrong tag = "lost" note).

Wrong Notebook = ?

I'll admit the free form nature of tags bothers me.  I have this scripted on my Mac to limit my selection of tags, and force tags depending on the note type

>>  unlimited hierarchy ...I'm going to look into this; I'm not sure what it means.

There is a huge request discussion on this; the example is based on the use of folders and sub-folders

• Folder
    • sub-folder
    • sub-folder
      • sub-folder
      • sub-folder

>>I still prefer notebooks for separating clients.

Understandable, and do-able if you can keep under the max-notebook limit

One problem,, if you have notes applying to multiple clients - maybe requiring note copies

Wrong Notebook = ?

There are two primary methods for getting a note into a notebook

1. Create a new note in the same notebook that is open. In this case the note is automatically in the correct notebook. I like this because there is no extra step of adding a tag to the note at some point after its creation.
  2. Move a note from the default notebook or another notebook into the target notebook. In this case it would be possible to select the wrong notebook. The difference between moving to a notebook and adding a tag is the risk of a mistake (and user confidence in the process) is that a new notebook cannot be created as part of moving a note. A new tag can be created when searching for an existing tag, which adds to the possibility of creating a new tag rather than applying the desired existing tag. In that same vein, the interface for moving to a notebook is richer and easier to use than adding a tag. The difference is subtle but I think can be supported that over many new notes the process of moving a note to a different notebook is on the whole less error prone and fraught than applying a tag.

Note in the two scenarios above the first covers a large percentage of instances, so while the second scenario is more subtle, it only applies to a subset of note assignment.

Another subtly of notebooks vs tags is that notebook names accept commas without any confusion, whereas tags parse inputs in ways that can cause confusion. For example adding a notebook for the client Acme, Inc. works without issue in a notebook name. Copying that same name as part of a workflow from a sales quote into a tag causes the two tags to be created, neither of which was the intended outcome, and can create some extra work and confusion.

To be clear, I am a huge Evernote user and evangelist, and have been since May 2009. Tags are amazing and very useful and well implemented. But there is a use case for notebooks that is worthwhile, and I believe the cases where notebooks are a better choice than a tag extend beyond the 250 notebook limit.

• Like 1

I just bumped into the 250 limit after having been on the free edition since 2012.  A couple of months ago I committed to to the upgrade and to integrate more fully into my business along with OneNote.  I waited looking for pitfalls but hit this one after I upgraded.  The tag approach is too sloppy of an organizational form for me.  I like the tree form.  I like EverNote for clipping so I suspect I'll use it for clipping and maybe export to OneNote.  

I tend to agree with the gentleman that costs and user demand are not strong enough.  I like the Wall Street Journal clipping and that is a big driver but in reality I don' t see this is a must have tool unless further development at a quicker pace takes place.  There are a lot of tools companies looking to get a critical mass then sell for a big payout.  Look in the task management space.  You generally need multiple tools to get what you want.  Most are not worth the premium features so you use two free versions to get what you want and that works until they close down or get bought and jack up the price higher than the functional value is worth.  Maybe EN is different since it has been around for awhile.  

I deviated from the topic but the 250 limit is really taxing and I'm not sure I can make this fit how I use it.  I do a lot of research in stock analysis and create folders for each company, sector, economy etc.  

• Like 1

On 2017-06-05 at 7:36 AM, DJW400 said:

The tag approach is too sloppy of an organizational form for me.  I like the tree form.

The Win/Mac platforms have a tag hierarchy feature (tree form?).  I use it to keep  my tags organized

I also apply a naming standard so my tags can be easily retrieved; for example coulour-red, colour-blue, colour-yellow

Hey Evernote and Evernote Users,

So, pretty straight forward request.

Make Evernote have the capability to synchronize more than 250 notebooks.

Personally I would be willing to pay more.

Questions that come to mind:

1) How many more notebooks would you want Evernote have the capability to synchronize? Me: Random number out of the blue... 500.

2) How much more would you be willing to pay for this extra service/feature? I am not an expert in technology... but just a random number out of the blue.... $10/100 extra notebooks.

Thanks for your time reading this.

• Like 4

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Evernote might allow more sync'd notebooks at some point,  though there have been dozens of threads over the past 10 years or so where this has been requested,  and while not rejected outright,  the request has been left hanging.  Evernote started out favoring tags over folders,  and the danger may be that another 250 folders will never be enough...  there will always be someone who needs just those extra few spaces - and if Evernote have extended the folder space once,  why shouldn't they do it again,  and again...

If you wish to pay for extra folder space,  then getting extra is simple - start another Plus or Premium account and divide your activity between the two.  You can share folders from one account to the other so (with the usual tag-creation limitations) both sets of notebooks and notes are editable from one account.  Switching between the accounts is pretty easy too - on desktops.

Or you can archive material to one or more Basic accounts,  use tags instead of notebook names,  export some notebooks to archive ENEX files or just plain delete old information.

13 hours ago, igrobancho said:

1) How many more notebooks would you want Evernote have the capability to synchronize?

Zero - 250 notebooks is more than enough for my 40,000 notes. I keep the number of notebooks down to a minimum.

Tags, along with a structured title using a YYDDMM date code prefix, and Evernote's search ability eliminate the need for lots of multiple notebooks. Stacks also help separate business from personal notes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, igrobancho said:

1) How many more notebooks would you want Evernote have the capability to synchronize? Me: Random number out of the blue... 500.

100,000 :)

I actually use a minimum number of notebooks

My solution for organization is tags; max 100,000 and unlimited hierarchy

I use notebooks for their features; sync/local, offline, share

15 hours ago, igrobancho said:

Hey Evernote and Evernote Users,

So, pretty straight forward request.

Make Evernote have the capability to synchronize more than 250 notebooks.

Personally I would be willing to pay more.

Questions that come to mind:

2) How much more would you be willing to pay for this extra service/feature? I am not an expert in technology... but just a random number out of the blue.... $10/100 extra notebooks.

Thanks for your time reading this.

I think 250 was the original random number out of the blue.

Any reason you cannot do some consolidation of notebooks and use tags? For instance, if you have 5 bank accounts and have 5 notebooks for statements, you could have one notebook with all the statements and the statements tagged with the bank name.

This 250 issue has been requested before over the years, and I am sure it is on their radar, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd do a local workaround with tags, or just use 250 notebooks and no more.

• Like 2

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎21 at 5:54 PM, EdH said:

I think 250 was the original random number out of the blue.

Any reason you cannot do some consolidation of notebooks and use tags? For instance, if you have 5 bank accounts and have 5 notebooks for statements, you could have one notebook with all the statements and the statements tagged with the bank name.

This 250 issue has been requested before over the years, and I am sure it is on their radar, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd do a local workaround with tags, or just use 250 notebooks and no more.

I think the original limit was 100 but that was early, many years ago.

58 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I think the original limit was 100 but that was early, many years ago.

Well, that's the problem with random numbers. You can throw out whatever you want, and someone won't like it. :D

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 8:49 AM, gustavgi said:

think the original limit was 100 but that was early, many years ago.

Not too long ago. I've been here 4 years - it changed during that period.

• Like 1

I must be thinking of some other limit we upped during that period then...

1 hour ago, dconnet said:

I must be thinking of some other limit we upped during that period then...

The price? :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2017 at 4:28 PM, EdH said:

The price? :D

LOL. Actually, I think it was the note size... (which if I recall, happened around the same time)

• Like 1

Apart from the system of tags, I would personally like to create more Notebooks. And also the maximum size of a clip ...larger. I'm just bumping out of the 200 MB limit. Admittedly, these are proper web clips, but it should not be allowed. OneNote does not have all these restrictions and is free. I myself would already get ahead with say 500 -750 Notebooks (business  = 10.000 nb's) and I think max clipsize 300-350 MB. EN is clipping all the time and after a while, it is reported that the clip is larger than 200 MB. Frustrating. On the other hand, I have to say that it is great for clips of more normal sizes and that the EN webclipper is superior to ON WC 2.0. But something strange is that OneNote, knows as a free product (or within Office) have practically no system limitation on all fronts (!). 100.000 notes in EN: ok, a lot. But if I clip, let's say 300 clips a day (not every day) ... and then? I pay for Premium, but there are limits for my personal future use. That future will determine whether I will continue to use EN Premium. Many reviews worldwide and user (!) are exactly the same to conclude. Then there can ring an alarm bell at the EN team ...

• Like 1

Hi.  There have been occasional queries about note sizes and notebook limits,  but there has never seemed to be an overwhelming need from a substantial number of users for Evernote to increase those limits.  You could certainly propose this as a feature request and see how many votes you can acquire from other users to get the company to look at it again.  There are obvious cost factors in both - bigger note and clip sizes means more storage,  more sync time and/ or more bandwidth;  increasing the 250 notebook limit means at the very least coding costs to change the setup in all the various clients and operating systems.

Meantime there are easy workarounds for most of the above - including new accounts,  and new notebook ranges are freely available if and when required - or notebooks can simply be represented by tags (of which you have 100,000).

If there were to be changes I can't see them happening soon - all this requires a lot of work and testing,  and Evernote don't (usually) comment on what they're up to prior to release dates...

Dear gazumped, thanks for your reply! Of course my wishes involve costs. Ik like Evernote but know quite a few people who go to OneNote (without all these restrictions!), Maybe investing. The price for EN Premium versus the free OneNote, or the unlimited version of the Office bundle, does Evernote still need to take to satisfy a certain type of users with higher demands?

Now a question: what is the use of a "stand-alone" user to EN Business? Or is it more useful to take a second Premium account?

Finally, what do you mean exactly: and new notebook ranges are freely available if and when required

Thanks in advance and sorry for broken English at Google Translate;)

Like the EN Web Clipper! Making a screenshot from whitin OneNote is also great, but not with the ON Web Clipper. Colors, pics and text looks 'washed out'. Really a pitty that the EN CLipper allows 'only' 200 MB for clipping. On sites like Quora arranged inadequately ... and that for a information gathering-tool (with, in comparison to the unlimited OneNote a 'high' price) ...

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

and new notebook ranges are freely available if and when required

Sorry if that was misleading - I was referring to new free or paid-for accounts,  or using a business account. 

I think you'll find that OneNote,  although it has some features that are better than Evernote,  has others that are not as good;  so a comparison evens out over time. 

One of the features of Evernote is to organize by notebooks.  Over the years, I find that I need to pull all related notes from a particular notebook and place it in a new notebook. I have been with Evernote almost since the beginning of its starting.  Now I am limited in my organizing.  Argh!  This is frustrating.  Any chance that this could be changed?  (BTW, I do have a Premium account)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Allen Long

On 2017-11-07 at 7:33 AM, Allen Long said:

One of the features of Evernote is to organize by notebooks.  Over the years, I find that I need to pull all related notes from a particular notebook and place it in a new notebook. I have been with Evernote almost since the beginning of its starting.  Now I am limited in my organizing.  Argh!  This is frustrating.  Any chance that this could be changed?  (BTW, I do have a Premium account)

You could upgrade to Business (10,000 limit)
afaik, it's an artificial limit and some day Evernote might decide to increase it

Personally, I use tags for organization (limit 100,000)

I realize I have been using notebooks like tags.  I am in the process of organizing by tags. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'am premium user since 2010 and i have enough with the 250 limit for notebook !

(remember something like 640kb should be enough).

• Like 1

I was sure to get this answer...
I know how to use tags... But what i ask is more notebooks !

Please start to listen your customers...

4 hours ago, DjBea said:

Please start to listen your customers...

You're posting in a User discussion forum.  You and I are both users of this product.

While I'm sure Evernote "listens" to their customers, these are the limits we have to work with (until changed)

Have you heard the story about Henry Ford's customers telling him they wanted faster horses

On 17.11.2017 at 2:00 PM, DTLow said:

another benefit is unlimited hierarchy (Mac/Windows)

What does this unlimited hierarchy look like?

On 12/20/2017 at 1:50 PM, munobrueller said:

What does this unlimited hierarchy look like?

5a3c07b7dc646_ScreenShot2017-12-21at11_10_36.png.c2c9d51b807ad28f1e2b6a0bd630079d.pngThe screenshot is from my Mac and shows the tags in the sidebar and tag page

The sub-tags can go to as many levels as needed.
In the image, you can see CommonPlace > NoteTypes > Reference > Art

I agree that limiting the folders of premium users to the same number, 250, as those who have free accounts, is ridiculous. It is the only major feature that does not upgrade for paying customers. Paying $70/year should allow an increase to at least 500, if not 1000.

12 hours ago, sanj said:

limiting the folders

Do they have to be called "folders" or can we accept a different naming convention?

Evernotes primary organization method is Tags (limit 100,000) and also uses Notebooks (limit 250)

When using web clipper for Evernote, if we have a right notebook selected, we don't have to use a mouse at all, but when we use tags, we have to definitely use a mouse. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kinshuk4 said:

When using web clipper for Evernote, if we have a right notebook selected, we don't have to use a mouse at all, but when we use tags, we have to definitely use a mouse. 

This isn't a web clipper discussion, but personally I clip into my default notebook (@Inbox) with no tags.
Notebook and tag assignment come later when I process my inbox(es)

I have minimal notebooks (I use tags for organization) so its quite easy to have the right notebook selected.  I suspect this wouldn't happen often with many notebooks

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

This isn't a web clipper discussion, but personally I clip into my default notebook (@Inbox) with no tags.
Notebook and tag assignment come later when I process my inbox(es)
Also, I have minimal notebooks; I use tags for organization

Hi DTLow, thank you for the suggestion. I am also not talking just about web clipper - I am talking about ease the notebook gives in comparison to tag where you can clip the whole page by just using the keyboard itself - i.e. press "`" and then "enter" and your page is saved in the notebook. For the tag, you have to use a mouse and enter the tag name and click "save".  This is about convenience - I prefer using a keyboard than a mouse, most of the time. As I use it, in this way also notebook gives more convenience. So, to sum it up, this about notebook vs tags - but maybe in the context of web clipper. I hope I have clarified my point to you :) 

Also, for me, I prefer to go to the notebook where I have saved the note, rather than using a process of saving everything to inbox and then editting it by adding the respective tags and notebook. I personally feel 250 is too small a limit. Those who question so many notebooks and tell it is cluttery, I personally feel can be questioned as well for so many tags :D 

If there is no support for some decent number of notebooks, maybe then I have to also adapt somehow for the tags. Anyways, thanks for the workaround and suggestion. That really helps.

58 minutes ago, kinshuk4 said:

Hi DTLow, thank you for the suggestion. I am also not talking just about web clipper - I am talking about ease the notebook gives in comparison to tag where you can clip the whole page by just using the keyboard itself - i.e. press "''''''" and then "enter" and your page is saved in the notebook. For the tag, you have to use a mouse and enter the tag name and click "save".  This is about convenience - I prefer using a keyboard than a mouse, most of the time. As I use it, in this way also notebook gives more convenience. So, to sum it up, this about notebook vs tags - but maybe in the context of web clipper. I hope I have clarified my point to you :) 

This still has nothing to do with the number of notebooks allowed in a user's account, which is the feature request for this topic (see the original post). Your feature request relates to UI for the web clipper (specifically mouse/keyboard usage), and would therefore be better served by going to the Web Clipper / Product Feedback forum and making your request there. Just a note; there's no guarantee that the notebook you have selected as a default (or which Evernote has chosen for you) is the one that you intend to contain the clipped note, so you actually will need to use the mouse in that case.

That you also want > 250 notebooks is fine; you should just upvote the original topic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kinshuk4 said:

this about notebook vs tags

Also a different discussion; I prefer tags to notebooks for the simple fact that I can assign multiple tags to a note
I can also display an unlimited tag hierarchy on my Mac

>>Those who question so many notebooks and tell it is cluttery, I personally feel can be questioned as well for so many tags 

Good point.  And with a limit of 100,000 tags there's much more scope for clutter

>>I personally feel 250 is too small a limit. 

And now we're back to the purpose of this request and discussion
It might depend on your purpose for using notebooks.  My purpose is for the local/sync, shared, offline features.

17 minutes ago, jefito said:

This still has nothing to do with the number of notebooks allowed in a user's account, which is the feature request for this topic (see the original post). Your feature request relates to UI for the web clipper (specifically mouse/keyboard usage), and would therefore be better served by going to the Web Clipper / Product Feedback forum and making your request there. Just a note; there's no guarantee that the notebook you have selected as a default (or which Evernote has chosen for you) is the one that you intend to contain the clipped note, so you actually will need to use the mouse in that case.

That you also want > 250 notebooks is fine; you should just upvote the original topic.

Hi Jefito, I have already upvoted here as well as 3-4 more threads related to increasing in notebook limits. :) Hope Evernote picks this feature up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alan Rew said:

II don't know why there is a limit - presumably there's no practical limit on the number of notes (except storage space)?

Actually the limits are
- notes 100,000
- tags 100,000
- notebooks 250

These are artificial limits set by Evernote.  Practical limits are another issue; my devices would choke at 100,000 notes

>>I find it much easier to locate what I need this way, rather than just using tags.

Why is that?  Supposing someone said, I find it much easier to locate using folders, rather than using notebooks

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Actually the limits are
- notes 100,000
- tags 100,000
- notebooks 250

These are artificial limits set by Evernote.  Practical limits are another issue; my devices would choke at 100,000 notes

>>I find it much easier to locate what I need this way, rather than just using tags.

Why is that?  Supposing someone said, I find it much easier to locate using folders, rather than using notebooks

Thanks for the values for the limits.

I use notebooks, nested notebooks and tags (lots of tags). For some of my use cases (remember everybody's usage of Evernote is different) a single mouse click on a notebook name in the left panel gives me a useful set of notes to work with. Initiating a search by tag OTOH (or locating the tag out of hundreds & clicking on it) involves significantly more mouse/keyboard action(s). There's always a balance of course between tags & notebooks, but the limit of 250 does seem rather small in the context of the other figures above and i can't think of a valid database storage / efficiency reason for having such a low limit. I probably make things worse for myself by having both work-related and personal notes in a single account, so having separate accounts would allow > 250 folders each, but then there's the extra cost of another subscription, just to work around a low limit :-)

49 minutes ago, Alan Rew said:

a single mouse click on a notebook name in the left panel gives me a useful set of notes to work with

I keep a minimal sidebar view; just the notebook and tag icons
but on my Mac I can show both a notebook and tag list.  A single mouse click would work on either list

>>the limit of 250 does seem rather small in the context of the other figures above

I agree

>>i can't think of a valid database storage / efficiency reason for having such a low limit

Be aware that notebooks also serve a non-organization purpose; sync/local, offline, share
Also while the database was structured for tag hierarchy (and multiple tags per notes); this was not implemented for notebooks

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I keep a minimal sidebar view; just the notebook and tag icons
but on my Mac I can show both a notebook and tag list.  A single mouse click would work on either list

>>the limit of 250 does seem rather small in the context of the other figures above

I agree

>>i can't think of a valid database storage / efficiency reason for having such a low limit

Be aware that notebooks also serve a non-organization purpose; sync/local, offline, share
Also while the database was structured for tag hierarchy (and multiple tags per notes); this was not implemented for notebooks

Ah, so maybe notebook handling does become less efficient for larger numbers.

Relative to the max number of notes (100, 000) I think it would be reasonable to have a number two orders of magnitude smaller for the max number of notebooks, i.e. 1000.

6 hours ago, Alan Rew said:

I probably make things worse for myself by having both work-related and personal notes in a single account, so having separate accounts would allow > 250 folders each, but then there's the extra cost of another subscription, just to work around a low limit :-)

A second account doesn't need to be a paid one; I use a free account for work (which oddly enough, I use more heavily) and premium for my personal use. Works reasonably well; on the other hand, I have no more than 30 notebooks between them, so number of notebooks isn't any kind of issue for me. In general, any number other than 250 (except maybe null:)) would be just as arbitrary / artificial, though. You say 1000; why not 1001? Or 1024, a good honest hexadecimal number?

But consider: even with 250 notebooks, now they need to be presented conveniently in the UI. Navigating a flat list of 250 is awkward, particularly on mobile devices, so you have stacks, which were expressly introduced to help with this problem back in the days of the 100 notebook limit. So say you distribute the notebooks evenly, now you have roughly 16 stacks of 16 notebooks apiece. That seems reasonably manageable for most devices. So now increase the max to 1000; now you're looking at roughly 32 stacks of 32 notebooks, and you're starting to strain the navigability UI. I'm not saying that this is part of their reasoning, though, but it's be a consideration if it were me designing things. Of course, maybe that all goes away if they were to implement notebook nesting, but it's not clear that that's happening any time soon either, and it opens a whole other can of sandworms to boot.

Performance-wise, I have no idea why allowing more notebooks would be any more or less efficient than the current system. The SQLite database used in Windows has a notebook table and seems straightforward enough; I'm not sure how that might affect in-memory search-related caches or particularly favor tags, though. I would think that performance is a wash in that respect.

Beyond that, there's the search problem: you can only search one notebook at a time (except for All Notebooks and a single stack). Without loosening those strictures (and changes to the Evernote search language are rare), things really come down to tags being generally a more flexible way to organize things, with notebooks being the containers that you can share, or designate collections of notes that are available offline on mobile devices.

Hi Folks,

Reporting back after one year. I hit the 250 notebook limit and switched to using tags last year. I'm still using Evernote, and it hasn't been a total disaster.

My conclusion:

1. Notebooks exist for a reason.
  2. That reason is as valid at 1 notebook as it is at 251 notebooks.
  3. I wish Evernote would allow more than 250 notebooks. If they did I would switch back to using a separate notebook for each client immediately.

I did look into Evernote Business, but the upgrade path was too opaque. Actually, it didn't seem like an upgrade so much as a different product. What I mean is that in the Evernote preferences in the Mac app (for example), it shows I have purchased the highest level (Premium), with no action or path to paying more to get more. I would gladly pay for "Ultra Premium" if it would raise the notebook limit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iRQ said:
  1. Notebooks exist for a reason.
  2. That reason is as valid at 1 notebook as it is at 251 notebooks.

And the reasons are

• To identify notes as   Sync'd/Local, Shared, Offline
  • Organization, with these limitations
    • the maximum limit; currently 250 for personal accounts
    • only one notebook can be assigned to a note (both a pro and con)
    • search only allows one note argument, and no negation
    • no hierarchy, other than group into Stacks

Anything else?

>>it hasn't been a total disaster

Thats good to know.  Can you identify some downsides with a notebook > tag switch

I was thinking easier misfiring of notes. With notebooks, the note has to be filed in one (and only one) client notebook

• Like 1