Join the #EverBetterChallenge and finish what you start in 2019. Read more... ×

Idea

Hi... Tried EN many moons ago, then went with OneNote but EN's cloud and accessible anywhere features are bringing me back...Enough kudos...

Is there a way to mark a note as "read-only" so I cannot accidentally erase or modify it? Thanks. Alex

• Like 4

Hi.  The only way (AFAIK) is to set up another account,  move the notes to that account,  and share a 'read only' notebook back to your original account.

• Like 1

A lock icon on the note, akin to the lock in system preferences, would be good. Click the lock to lock the note (make it read only). Click it again to unlock with a confirmation dialog.

• Like 1

This would be a huge help for me too.

Among other things, I use EN for code snippets and long commands. Almost daily, I'm toggling between EN and a command prompt, copy/pasting as I go. Invariably, I'll start typing while the Note still has the focus and mess up it up. 

I up-voted (top right corner of this discussion)

and the vote is .....1

I encourage anyone supporting this request to vote.

Also - I posted a device agnostic feature request at 

Can we make notes read only?  I accidentally hit information inside notes in trying to copy \ paste on my mobile.  Then I end up saving it only to find out later that I moved something.

Is there a way in Evernote to mark a notebook or note as read only so I don't accidentally change data?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, rjparker1 said:

Can we make notes read only?  I accidentally hit information inside notes in trying to copy \ paste on my mobile.  Then I end up saving it only to find out later that I moved something.

Is there a way in Evernote to mark a notebook or note as read only so I don't accidentally change data?

afaik There is no read-only option

Its been discussed in the forums.

The workaround I use is to convert my note to pdf format.

On 4/8/2016 at 2:58 PM, DTLow said:

afaik There is no read-only option

Its been discussed in the forums.

The workaround I use is to convert my note to pdf format.

Genius.. that's good enough for me, thanks.

I also want read-only notes, or at least the option to open any note as read-only on a mobile device. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally edited a note on my iPhone while walking around in a grocery store looking for recipe ingredients! And it's not like "undo" is easy to do on the phone. It's a pain to remember to choose 'present' mode immediately after opening the note. 

• Like 3

Seconding this request.

I use EN to work with newspaper articles a lot. It is a horrible mess if one of them gets edited by accident. To be able to lock and mark them, just like pdfs, just without having to export, convert to pdf, reimport would be very helpful (maybe as a premium feature?).

• Like 2

On April 8, 2016 at 11:03 AM, rjparker1 said:

Please indicate your support for this request by voting at

• Like 1

Was not aware this was asked before I posted mine (I was going to call mine non edit mode).  The Android version has this by default, though I suspect it maybe a platform feature, since many Android apps have it.

Odd that my topic was merged with this one without sending me any notification, no wonder I could not find it!!  I understand the need to keeping the forums organized, but really, administrators, notify me at least, I thought my topic was deleted!

Anyways, while the two ideas are closely related, they are not identical.  Setting an optional read only flag on each note is not good enough for me, I need it as a default setting for all notes under options, so that all notes are read only until I click on some predetermined part of the note, be it a flag or whatever.

Thanks for listening.

Me as well (note read-only option). I have created a few notes as "Master Templates". I then copy the template and change appropriate values on the copy. I'm tired of inadvertently changing the template.

• Like 1

Hello everyone. 

It's been some tıme I had my eye on this feature. Today I reserved some time into doing this and created a simple web app.

It works like this: you tag your notes with a tag called 'readonly' and every five minutes, the system checks your notes and makes tagged ones read-only. You can subscribe to the service via : https://ro-app.run.aws-usw02-pr.ice.predix.io/

. Plese note that this is a 2-3 hour work and I will not maintain it in terms of look etc. It simply does what it promises to do. If there's a huge interest in the project I might allocate some more time into it, though. 

Cheers,
Onat

• Like 2

Hello everyone. 

It's been some tıme I had my eye on this feature. Today I reserved some time into doing this and created a simple web app.

It works like this: you tag your notes with a tag called 'readonly' and every five minutes, the system checks your notes and makes tagged ones read-only. You can subscribe to the service via : https://ro-app.run.aws-usw02-pr.ice.predix.io/

. Plese note that this is a 2-3 hour work and I will not maintain it in terms of look etc. It simply does what it promises to do. If there's a huge interest in the project I might allocate some more time into it, though. 

Cheers,
Onat

• Like 1

Why not pick a topic to post in as opposed to so many?

Is Evernote going to get us the option to make a particular doc READ ONLY?

The PDF option is not available for an iPhone.   All Evernote needs to do is to block or filter user-events/page.

Simple.

+1  the option set read only for notes or for all notes in a selected Notebook or Stack.  This option would be perfect when creating templates or archiving data - it should never be updatable - converting to pdf is not a preferable option.  

+1 looks like nobody reads this and no one is interested to improve the service

On 3/31/2017 at 6:29 PM, onatbas said:

Hello everyone. 

Cheers,
Onat

Is there a way to undo that and make notes writeable again?

+1 I share the disappointment of those who believe that we're being ignored, despite this request kicking around for a few years. It really isn't that trivial, after all. There are some notes that are simply too important to tamper with, and the option to lock them seems like a fairly obvious feature. Sure there are workarounds (like the PDF idea), but a built-in solution would be most valuable.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, annbelievesinwhales said:

What's happening with it? Is it currently in the works? Has evernote ever addressed why this hasn't been added?

This doesn't seem to be a priority item.  
Anyone wanting to indicate support for this request,  please use the voting buttons in the top left corner.  Vote count is currently  599ec9271de56_ScreenShot2017-08-24at05_39_47.png.a8d9ef78ea34b6a92a65b26ce6128148.png

Definitely a very nice thing to have.

Nothing is more frustrating than to find out you have mangled an important note due to fumbling when you were in a hurry.

I doubt it is difficult to implement since we already have such thing for Android Evernote, why not for iOS version too? Why not across the board?

• Like 1

I like this thinking as a read only.  I was thinking along the lines as a confirm to save when leaving the note.  So, if you did inadvertently change something, you have the option to back out. Or another idea is to put on an edit button to edit the note.  Like always, this can be an option in preferences.

FYI: this is a link to my EditConfimation AHK script (for evernote on windows). For the time being it's a good work-around and we may use it to assess different solutions to prevent accidental deletion/modification.  Hopefully this info may contribute to the final implementation in EN...

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/104215-autohotkey-scripts-for-evernote/?do=findComment&comment=487691

Edited by eric99
============EditConfirmation script v0.0.15

Hello everyone. I just saw this thread and wanted to share my solution to this.

I had this exact same problem, and it looks like that's possible on the programming interface, but not in the application. So I've written an application to mark notes readonly through the API. You can use this to have read-only functionality in Evernote, it's very easy to use..

Here's the link to it. http://onat.me/readonlymaker

I've been using it for a while and it's gained some more users in the past year and I must say it completely changed my way of using evernote. Now whenever I have a note that's not readonly, I get restless.

In case anyone wants to build on this, here's the code https://github.com/onatbas/readonlytagger

2 hours ago, onatbas said:

Hello everyone. I just saw this thread and wanted to share my solution to this.

Thanks for the post on a read-only solution for notes

I like that your solution runs in the cloud. I investigated implementing read-only by updating the contentClass field, but I could only implement on my Mac

Your unlock process is awkward.  I'd prefer a simple unlock of the note instead of: 

• This will create a duplicate of the same note in your default notebook, which you can edit (title and content only). After you're done with it, add "makemigration" tag to this duplicate, without changing prior tags, and sync. After a minute or so, this duplicate will be deleted and your original will be updated with the content you provided in the duplicate.

Uh, not to do anything at this point?  And they don't discuss futures at all to date.

Upvoted.  I'd also like a way to automatically read only a block of notes, or notes older than a certain time frame.  I'm quite paranoid that a random keystroke (or other hickup) will result in note contents being deleted and it not being realized (for a long long time).  [Although I suppose this is a reason for versioned notes in premium]

Read-only is still not an Evernote feature, but see the post below for a solution by third party Filterize

• Like 1

Read-only is not an Evernote feature, but see the post below for a solution by third party Filterize

• Like 1

One year and a half, and nothing !

I stopped using Evernote just because of this, and I was hoping this feature would have been added now, but... no !

It's a shame !

This has been a popular concern for nearly a half-decade.

Yet, there is apparently no movement from Evernote™ that I'm aware of.

23 minutes ago, UncleRic said:

This has been a popular concern for nearly a half-decade.

Yet, there is apparently no movement from Evernote™ that I'm aware of.

There have been numerous suggestions expressed over the years that the EN team haven't implemented so I wouldn't feel too singled out over this one.  I can sometimes understand the direction they take, other times I'm baffled.  FWIW, I would like this too and have upvoted the topic.

I've been a Premium user for years.   I have several THOUSANDS of notes from software development to legal papers.   I hadn't notice the 'i'nfo button before.

There's probably a dozen features that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for the 'i'nfo.

2 hours ago, marc_k said:

+1

Just a simple "Lock Notebook" option would suffice. To edit any Note in that Notebook, user can "Unlock Notebook". That's it.

It would help A LOT.

Across all platforms.

Thank you guys. Great product! I love Evernote!

Please start a separate thread. What you're talking about is different. We are talking about Notes, on a per-note basis, as locked/read-only. Not an entire Notebook. Thanks.

+1 from me! I want to be able to set a note as Read Only or Archived, with an extra step beyond just clicking within the note or on the edit button. Something that says clearly: You are about to edit an Archive copy... or even better: The Archived note CANNOT be edited at all; if you want to add to or edit the information, you have to choose "copy this note" or whatever the menu wording is for making a new note with the same information.

Now for my tirade: I cannot count how many times I've been horrified to realize something got deleted or changed - especially since I often don't have a backup copy somewhere. I think what's happening is that perhaps EN designers/programmers aren't actually heavy EN users and think people are being needlessly careless and should simply try being more careful. That seems about the size of EN's attitude towards their users. (I don't use the word clients because it's so obvious that we're not considered clients.) One of the things I had hoped to be able to rely on when I subscribed was the note history feature, but like another user mentioned, the way the history is saved is somewhat random and almost never catches what it was I accidentally changed. One of the most common, and most annoying times I lose information is when I'm trying to copy and paste from a note. If I accidentally hit any other key, it's of course replaced by that letter and my precious info is gone... for some reason Undo doesn't always work.

This was actually one of the very first features I noticed was lacking when I first began using Evernote in... gosh, it must have been around 2007 or something? I was actually shocked; Evernote seemed to be such a forward-thinking, intuitive program that I just couldn't believe something like that wasn't already in place. I have to say that I am actually kind of disgusted that it's around 10 years (TEN YEARS?!) later, and this is nowhere near close to being implemented.

I've been growing more and more unhappy with EN ever since they began to charge for certain features which had previously been free. I would have been happy to pay for new features for premium users, but I felt quite exasperated with having to shell out just to continue using features I'd become dependent on. Now, on the one hand, it makes financial sense to hook people on something and then charge for it. I mean hey, that's the tactic used in certain other, um... shady deals, shall we say? But it doesn't make sense to me to alienate customers over it. I've been a subscriber to Premium since it was introduced, because like I said, I was dependent on certain features and the idea of changing the way I collect, store and access all my information was too overwhelming to consider.

But after reading about feature after feature that I have wanted and clearly other people have wanted for years just being ignored, I have come to the conclusion that Evernote designs Evernote according to what they think is cool. Not their users. The very first rule of coding and marketing is that if the end user (majority, of course) doesn't like it, it's useless. I have started researching other note-taking, information managing systems as many of them have improved over the years. I'd still be facing a sea change in terms of my entire framework of collecting, storing and accessing an actual metric ton of information (If it was on paper), but I'm starting to wonder if it's a sea change that just needs to happen in order to keep progressing and becoming more efficient. And that makes me really sad.

It happened: I let a labmate look at a circuit diagram in one of my notes, and he accidentally deleted the diagram and closed out before the change could be reverted. Please implement this feature, Evernote! The current system makes our data terribly fragile, and it's extremely stressful!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elizabeth West said:

The current system makes our data terribly fragile, and it's extremely stressful!

I posted this feature request but I wanted to address the fragile and stressful comment
I'm recover lost data from backups.  I have personal backups and Evernote has a Note History backup feature.

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I posted this feature request but I wanted to address the fragile and stressful comment
I'm recover lost data from backups.  I have personal backups and Evernote has a Note History backup feature.

Fair enough! I also have personal backups, but noticing and correcting these data-loss problems is time-consuming and stressful. Also, Note History is only accessible in Premium or above, and we can only afford Plus. The read-only feature seems like one that should be accessible at any price point.

If you're a paid subscriber, such as I, then you should have access to your HISTORY.

It's located in the top-right corner with the three (3) dots: ...
Choose 'History' and go from there.

one.png

17 minutes ago, UncleRic said:

If you're a paid subscriber, such as I, then you should have access to your HISTORY.

This is true for Premium subscribers but not for lower-tier paying Plus subscribers like me. I understand that Plus was phased out this year, but those who were already members got grandfathered in. This is the message I get when I select "Note History":

Untitled.png.14e3344ff6f1466e54b696be8a9bc096.png

Sorry this side-conversation is getting pretty far afield from the purpose of the thread. I just hoped that sharing my data-loss scare might help nudge Evernote in the direction of adding this requested feature.

Hello everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I've provided a solution to this problem a while ago. Instructions are available here: http://onat.me/readonlymaker 

If you want to learn more, I have some more comments in this thread, a little old by now but this solution still works, there actually are a quite a number of users. 

It doesn't need anything to use, you just add "readonly" as a tag to a note, and they're locked in evernote in next sync, simple as that, works in every platform.

Best,
Onat

If you have any feedback, kindly reach out via evernote certified consultants page ( https://evernote.com/certified-consultants ) by searching with my name or via my website .

This has been an issue for YEARS.
Evernote appears to believe that only Premium subscribers have access to history; which is different from having a mutable/immutable toggle switch installed.

I don't see the difficulty (from a software-developer's perspective) to have such a simple locking feature.

They are actually two features for Evernote.  The doc-locking should be standard  for ALL  users; the history could remain a PREMIUM feature... less useful for the general user.

I don't know how to get Evernote's attention to address this.

44 minutes ago, UncleRic said:

I don't know how to get Evernote's attention to address this.

The read-only feature request is posted at the top of this discussion.  You can indicate your support using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

I'm using a Mac and data backups are easily implemented using Evernote's export feature.

I NEED THIS FEATURE ! As a UIUX Designer , I agree that this should be implemented in Evernote. There are a lot of types of users who are using this app with specific purpose. Important to make this feature to those user who wants to lock sensitive notes. In mobile, the tap area is wider to make it "Accidentally" press the content to edit. For user who did not notice this "accidental" behavior , they might change / edit / or even remove and accidentally update the content. For PRO users , they can revert back the history. But not for Normal User , which will affects emotions and frustration , finally quit and uninstall the app. This feature is truly needed for EVERY USERS. 

For better solutions :

Make an option for user to enable this READ-ONLY/LOCK NOTE in each note setting or notebook setting. This should be set manually by user themselves.

read only or even revision history. I understand revision history is a big ask though.

13 minutes ago, eric99 said:

What good are these backups if  you don't know which notes have been  altered accidentally?

Good question.  Though, typically I don't know something has happened until I access the note and realize something is wrong, or I can't find the note (one I'm sure I created).  Doesn't happen often, but at that point History does the trick mostly, but the backups support the oops delete.  Local notebooks I have to use my own ENEX backups for both altered and deleted.

53 minutes ago, eric99 said:

What good are these backups if  you don't know which notes have been  altered accidentally?

The backups provide for recovery when I know a note has been altered/deleted accidentally.

As to the unknown; I have no detection process in place.  
But when a problem is discovered, I'm able to recover.  
In most cases, it's not a serious problem until I need to access the note.

I would also like to second the idea of some sort of locking mechanism for the notes. I have been using evernotes for almost a decade, and this feature is very much needed.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:03 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to lock notes and make them read only have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for the ability to lock notes and make them read only support here!

+1

A must-have!  Can't believe this essential feature hasn't been implemented, after 2.5 years since the original request

hahaha, never.

only one thing they are able to do is refreshing logo.

bravo!

On 3/31/2017 at 12:29 PM, onatbas said:

Hello everyone. 

Cheers,
Onat

I'm getting a 404 for that link. then again, it is almost 2 years old. :^)  Anyone have news on this?