2019 Calendar Templates Read more... ×

Idea

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to lock notes and make them read only have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for the ability to lock notes and make them read only support here!

• Like 2

+1  It's just too easy to lose data to accidental edits.  Even if I spot it, its hard to undo on iOS, but often I don't until too late.

Here's what I would like, in descending order of importance:

1) Specify that all notes are read only until edit mode is specifically enabled on each note - eg by button or menu.  Ideally a user setting per platform, so that people could better protect their iPad, which is often left around, without restricting their PC.  Read only notes would still allow non-destructive operations such as searching, selecting, copying, printing, etc.  Ideally, the first time the editor detects a change on a read-only note, it would prompt to ask whether to enable edit mode.

2) If that is too hard, then show a highly visible 'change marker' whenever an edit is detected, so I can undo it if was accidental.  Ideally, a brightly coloured button in the note title, which would be cleared automatically when I closed the note window, or when I clicked it to acknowledge the change, and showing the time it was last edited (to distinguish previous deliberate edits in the same session).  Ideally the button would include an 'undo' option, especially for iOS if you have disabled the 'shake to undo' function.

3) Less important, but very useful (to me anyway).  Specify that individual notes or notebooks are read only.  Perhaps by a special tag of 'ReadOnly'?  Perhaps require elevated authorisation to enable edits - perhaps by Evernote password.

• Like 2

Need it!

I usually accidentally edit my note... I really need read-only mode or some lock mechanism.

Please help us to add this new feature!!

+1 for a ready only note feature also

+1, Strongly agree!

I have my new phone with incredibly sentitive screen and tons of false movements/scrolls are mistreated as edit request to the app, often starting to edit the note, when I am just reading and scrolling over it. Insanely annoying.

Devs, please, add one simple checbox to the mobile app, which forbids editing either this one or all the notes.

Thanks!

This option is so necessary like what Android App already has, really I don't know why Ever_Note programmers neglected it for Windows.
Thanks

• Like 1

I SOOO need this feature. I would like to use Evernote as my Read-it-later like service. But with accidental edits, it is discoursing me from using it. just have a button or something that converts a note into a read only mode so we can customize what becomes read only and what can be edited.

• Like 2

+1 
It would be great to have a little 'padlock' in the heading of a note, to lock the subject, body and attachments in a note... to prevent accidental changes.

• Like 1

+1  I access my notes on a tablet whilst on a train, many times I have accidentally inserted/deleted/moved/lost formatting as the train bumps along.  Yes, we have the history but that is not a quick click to restore an earlier version - That would be an alternative feature - the ability to restore an earlier version without any kerfuffle.  I also discovered that the versioning is not 100% reliable - The versioning is not a record of edits, they are snapshots taken at random intervals. The earliest version of my document was the initial webclip plus my accidental edit, i.e. the snapshot was taken too late for me.

• Like 1

Not sure if it happens really often, but it will make my life such easier. Every time I open my notes with sensitive data I'm scared to erase something by accident.

Damn, it is more than 2 years since this request arose. 

We can vote here like fools but it leads nowhere. So now, (1) I will vote here and then (2) I will go to use www.Notion.so wich is much more progressive on the development side and now fully interchangeble with evernote (moreover, Notion.so is free). 

Ok, last item - No  (3) - In 2020 I will check again if Evernote has finally noticed this request and start developing this feature

Edited by Libor1988
I do not want this post to be hidden!

So many reasons this is a good idea.

Receipts and invoices come to mind...

• Like 1

Me too.  Would hopefully help the accidental deletion/modification of notes, especially in shared notebooks.

+1

I really need this functionality.  It's very easy to accidentally make changes and not realize it.

• Like 2

+1 - would really like this feature after accidentally deleting important information whilst looking at it for reference. It's the reason i keep more important information in an alternative app that has a read-only feature, but i would much rather keep everything in Evernote.

• Like 1

+1 

It's easy to accidentally alter a note and not even realize the note has been unintentionally altered. Having the option to toggle selected notes as read-only is a good compromise between easy/quick editing and preserving the integrity of notes that the user considers 'finalized' or notes the user deems important enough that he/she is willing to take the extra step to unlock for editing.

A read only option will be a great feature. It will be very useful as many of the notes I create are needed in the future for me to

copy and paste from but the data they contain is constant and I can't have it getting overwritten, alot of my notes are made so I can reference them later but it would be great if they were better protected from myself making a mistake with them.

I completely agree this feature is vital.  I've lost several important notes or sections or notes due to a swipe of the keyboard mistakenly.  +1 and then some

+1 It would be so beneficial to have the ability to do read-only notes. Please make this a feature!

+1 

I want this feature because I keep a journal in Evernote where the dates matter, and making any edit to an old note will change its date to today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

+1

I noticed there have been requests for this for many years. What's happening with it? Is it currently in the works? Has evernote ever addressed why this hasn't been added? I think the last thread I read was from 2011 so I wonder if they just decided not to. If it's not going to happen I'll see if onenote or something else has this option cause I really need it.

Signed,

Someone with a cat who likes to walk on her keyboard... lol

+1 It would be very useful to remind yourself to no longer update a note. 

+1 - I have a note with my EIN and another with my KTN. I'd love to be able to "lock" these notes.

It is especially troubling on the iOS app. WAY too easy to accidentally edit things.

it is a needed feature. so many accidents created enormous loss. 

Do it! its great idea to have some kind of lock button (like in layers in photoshop) to lock/unlock notes. 

• Like 1

+1 Yes please. This seems like a wonderful idea.

Although if you are accidentally deleting just the content, keep in mind that you can see a history of your edits and revert back to that one by copying the content.

I really don't understand why Evernote™ isn't looking into this.

There's an obvious demand for it.

+1

I am amazed that this is not a thing! I use Evernote for recipes and other home reference notes and am always accidentally editing the notes on my iPhone/iPad when using them. It’s so frustrating. Since this post has been around for two years without any change, I guess I won’t hold my breath :(

This is a great idea. I'm a scientist who uses Evernote as an easily searchable lab notebook that is accessible to (and sometimes editable by) labmates and collaborators, and it's very important to me to have the ability to prevent accidental or intentional modifications of scientific records. The read-only feature would also help to ensure that notes remain in chronological order, whereas now, an accidental keystroke while reading an old note bumps it up to the top of the notebook, making it harder to stay organized.

Finally, much like writing lab notes in pen, allowing users to make a note read-only (especially if it could be done automatically after some time interval) would help to build confidence in scientific integrity by alleviating concerns about fudged data; descriptions of methodology tampered with after the fact; and inadvertent, uncaught deletions of records and results.

I love your product, Evernote, but I'm always keeping an eye out for alternatives with similar functionality plus the ability to lock notes. If you added this feature, I would be much more likely to stay.

Hello.  Currently the Android app default is to show a note in read only mode, then tap the pencil symbol to edit.  This additional step is helpful to prevent accidental edits or deletions.  I would like to request the same in Windows as a general setting under options.  Too many times an accidental brush of the keyboard or mouse has cause a disaster, which is a discouragement from keeping Evernote open all the time.

Thanks for listening.

I added my vote.  I'm thinking this request for read-only access should apply to  all platforms.

You might check the forum for existing requests before posting.  There are other requests for this feature, and multiple requests cause the vote to be split.

Its interesting that Android has this feature

• Like 1

Would love to see a "read mode" added to the UI so that all notes are locked from editing when switched on. I have inadvertently edited notes multiple times while simply attempting to reference a note and scroll to read on my iPad. I'm sure others have experienced this as well - seems like a simple thing to implement. Thanks!

+1 

I would also like to see some sort of protection for an encrypted block. It is very easy to delete the block accidentally. And if you are not premium with access to Note history, you are in trouble.

Evernote just lost  17 new users due to this missing feature:  in our organization we considered  Evernote for our shared  database for shared documents and collaboration. Unfrotunately we rejected evernote because we can't afford our precious data  be accidentally deleted without knowing it.

All team members need to be able to change and add documents, so we can't solve this with the sharing access levels. We really need a read-only option per note or at least a delete confirmation dialog.

I'm baffled that this is still not implemented,  I can't believe that Evernote will ever be used as a professional collaborative database without this feature...

7 hours ago, eric99 said:

Evernote just lost  17 new users due to this missing feature:  in our organization we considered  Evernote for our shared  database for shared documents and collaboration. Unfrotunately we rejected evernote because we can't afford our precious data  be accidentally deleted without knowing it.

All team members need to be able to change and add documents, so we can't solve this with the sharing access levels. We really need a read-only option per note or at least a delete confirmation dialog.

I'm baffled that this is still not implemented,  I can't believe that Evernote will ever be used as a professional collaborative database without this feature...

If my understanding is correct regarding Evernote Enterprise having feature parity with Evernote Premium, then note versioning is supported so that you can revert to previous versions of a note in case of accidental edits. It still would be much better to prevent accidentals in the first place by having an explicit 'edit button' to change to edit mode and 'finish button' to change back to read-only mode for a note. A feature that seems to be easy to implement, but without any knowledge of what the technical backlog looks like, source code, or in-depth understanding of Evernote architecture, it is difficult to tell.

As for delete confirmation dialog, Evernote always asks for user confirmation on note deletion even for Free version (I think) -- there is a post in one of the forums asking an option to turn delete confirmation off for being too annoying.

4 hours ago, Surya Halim said:

If my understanding is correct regarding Evernote Enterprise having feature parity with Evernote Premium, then note versioning is supported so that you can revert to previous versions of a note in case of accidental edits.

Note versioning doesn't help if you don't realize that something was accidentally removed in your note. In Evernote for windows, it is much too easy to delete a pdf attachment thumbnail, especially because it is automatically selected while opening the document. Once selected a spurious delete is sufficient to remove the thumb accidentally.

Can you please explain me how I can activate the confirmation box for this kind of deletions?

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Thanks for the post on a read-only solution for notes

I like that your solution runs in the cloud. I investigated implementing read-only by updating the contentClass field, but could only implement on my Mac

Your unlock process is awkward.  I'd prefer a simple unlock of the note instead of: 

• This will create a duplicate of the same note in your default notebook, which you can edit (title and content only). After you're done with it, add "makemigration" tag to this duplicate, without changing prior tags, and sync. After a minute or so, this duplicate will be deleted and your original will be updated with the content you provided in the duplicate.

Haha yeah. Unfortunately, there’s absolutely no way of reverting a readonly note to a modifiable state. ContentClass is immutable and you’re not allowed to change it. What i did is a workaround. 

This concern has been discussed for nearly TWO years.

What's the intent/status from Evernote™?

Yes, Evernote should have the option to set a note in read-only mode, I usually use software code, and I have critical software code in Evernote, I would be better if I can lock my note.

Thanks for listening.

Tito

It's about time we heard from Evernote™ about having some sort of locking or equivalent paradigm.

• Like 1

I'll move back to the end of the line here with a chant: "Lock it Up".☝️

+1

Just a simple "Lock Notebook" option would suffice. To edit any Note in that Notebook, user can "Unlock Notebook". That's it.

It would help A LOT.

Across all platforms.

Thank you guys. Great product! I love Evernote!

+ 1   Lock note.

Baffling and disappointing that this type of most basic note functionality hadn't been available from the outset and has not yet been implemented in spite of the genuine demand and need. 

Serious user for 6 years and premium for 3 years now. 

Use it all the time but finding Evernote ridiculously limiting, lacking in features, and beginning to feel unsophisticated in every way. No impressive improvements - came to a standstill.

Going to have to start looking elsewhere. Heaps of similar apps on the market now.

Marking notes or entire notebooks as read-only is a must-have feature.

Odd that my topic was merged with this one without sending me any notification, no wonder I could not find it!!  I understand the need to keeping the forums organized, but really, administrators, notify me at least, I thought my topic was deleted!

Anyways, while the two ideas are closely related, they are not identical.  Setting an optional read only flag on each note is not good enough for me, I need it as a default setting for all notes under options, so that all notes are read only until I click on some predetermined part of the note, be it a flag or whatever.

Thanks for listening.

Me as well (note read-only option). I have created a few notes as "Master Templates". I then copy the template and change appropriate values on the copy. I'm tired of inadvertently changing the template.

• Like 1

Is Evernote going to get us the option to make a particular doc READ ONLY?

The PDF option is not available for an iPhone.   All Evernote needs to do is to block or filter user-events/page.

Simple.

+1  the option set read only for notes or for all notes in a selected Notebook or Stack.  This option would be perfect when creating templates or archiving data - it should never be updatable - converting to pdf is not a preferable option.  

+1 looks like nobody reads this and no one is interested to improve the service

+1 I share the disappointment of those who believe that we're being ignored, despite this request kicking around for a few years. It really isn't that trivial, after all. There are some notes that are simply too important to tamper with, and the option to lock them seems like a fairly obvious feature. Sure there are workarounds (like the PDF idea), but a built-in solution would be most valuable.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, annbelievesinwhales said:

What's happening with it? Is it currently in the works? Has evernote ever addressed why this hasn't been added?

This doesn't seem to be a priority item.  
Anyone wanting to indicate support for this request,  please use the voting buttons in the top left corner.  Vote count is currently  599ec9271de56_ScreenShot2017-08-24at05_39_47.png.a8d9ef78ea34b6a92a65b26ce6128148.png

Definitely a very nice thing to have.

Nothing is more frustrating than to find out you have mangled an important note due to fumbling when you were in a hurry.

I doubt it is difficult to implement since we already have such thing for Android Evernote, why not for iOS version too? Why not across the board?

• Like 1

I like this thinking as a read only.  I was thinking along the lines as a confirm to save when leaving the note.  So, if you did inadvertently change something, you have the option to back out. Or another idea is to put on an edit button to edit the note.  Like always, this can be an option in preferences.

FYI: this is a link to my EditConfimation AHK script (for evernote on windows). For the time being it's a good work-around and we may use it to assess different solutions to prevent accidental deletion/modification.  Hopefully this info may contribute to the final implementation in EN...

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/104215-autohotkey-scripts-for-evernote/?do=findComment&comment=487691

Edited by eric99
============EditConfirmation script v0.0.15

Hello everyone. I just saw this thread and wanted to share my solution to this.

I had this exact same problem, and it looks like that's possible on the programming interface, but not in the application. So I've written an application to mark notes readonly through the API. You can use this to have read-only functionality in Evernote, it's very easy to use..

Here's the link to it. http://onat.me/readonlymaker

I've been using it for a while and it's gained some more users in the past year and I must say it completely changed my way of using evernote. Now whenever I have a note that's not readonly, I get restless.

In case anyone wants to build on this, here's the code https://github.com/onatbas/readonlytagger

2 hours ago, onatbas said:

Hello everyone. I just saw this thread and wanted to share my solution to this.

Thanks for the post on a read-only solution for notes

I like that your solution runs in the cloud. I investigated implementing read-only by updating the contentClass field, but I could only implement on my Mac

Your unlock process is awkward.  I'd prefer a simple unlock of the note instead of: 

• This will create a duplicate of the same note in your default notebook, which you can edit (title and content only). After you're done with it, add "makemigration" tag to this duplicate, without changing prior tags, and sync. After a minute or so, this duplicate will be deleted and your original will be updated with the content you provided in the duplicate.

Uh, not to do anything at this point?  And they don't discuss futures at all to date.

Read-only is still not an Evernote feature, but see the post below for a solution by third party Filterize

• Like 1

One year and a half, and nothing !

I stopped using Evernote just because of this, and I was hoping this feature would have been added now, but... no !

It's a shame !

This has been a popular concern for nearly a half-decade.

Yet, there is apparently no movement from Evernote™ that I'm aware of.

23 minutes ago, UncleRic said:

This has been a popular concern for nearly a half-decade.

Yet, there is apparently no movement from Evernote™ that I'm aware of.

There have been numerous suggestions expressed over the years that the EN team haven't implemented so I wouldn't feel too singled out over this one.  I can sometimes understand the direction they take, other times I'm baffled.  FWIW, I would like this too and have upvoted the topic.

....how to I see the history of my edits?

I've been a Premium user for years.   I have several THOUSANDS of notes from software development to legal papers.   I hadn't notice the 'i'nfo button before.

There's probably a dozen features that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for the 'i'nfo.

2 hours ago, marc_k said:

+1

Just a simple "Lock Notebook" option would suffice. To edit any Note in that Notebook, user can "Unlock Notebook". That's it.

It would help A LOT.

Across all platforms.

Thank you guys. Great product! I love Evernote!

Please start a separate thread. What you're talking about is different. We are talking about Notes, on a per-note basis, as locked/read-only. Not an entire Notebook. Thanks.

+1 from me! I want to be able to set a note as Read Only or Archived, with an extra step beyond just clicking within the note or on the edit button. Something that says clearly: You are about to edit an Archive copy... or even better: The Archived note CANNOT be edited at all; if you want to add to or edit the information, you have to choose "copy this note" or whatever the menu wording is for making a new note with the same information.

Now for my tirade: I cannot count how many times I've been horrified to realize something got deleted or changed - especially since I often don't have a backup copy somewhere. I think what's happening is that perhaps EN designers/programmers aren't actually heavy EN users and think people are being needlessly careless and should simply try being more careful. That seems about the size of EN's attitude towards their users. (I don't use the word clients because it's so obvious that we're not considered clients.) One of the things I had hoped to be able to rely on when I subscribed was the note history feature, but like another user mentioned, the way the history is saved is somewhat random and almost never catches what it was I accidentally changed. One of the most common, and most annoying times I lose information is when I'm trying to copy and paste from a note. If I accidentally hit any other key, it's of course replaced by that letter and my precious info is gone... for some reason Undo doesn't always work.

This was actually one of the very first features I noticed was lacking when I first began using Evernote in... gosh, it must have been around 2007 or something? I was actually shocked; Evernote seemed to be such a forward-thinking, intuitive program that I just couldn't believe something like that wasn't already in place. I have to say that I am actually kind of disgusted that it's around 10 years (TEN YEARS?!) later, and this is nowhere near close to being implemented.

I've been growing more and more unhappy with EN ever since they began to charge for certain features which had previously been free. I would have been happy to pay for new features for premium users, but I felt quite exasperated with having to shell out just to continue using features I'd become dependent on. Now, on the one hand, it makes financial sense to hook people on something and then charge for it. I mean hey, that's the tactic used in certain other, um... shady deals, shall we say? But it doesn't make sense to me to alienate customers over it. I've been a subscriber to Premium since it was introduced, because like I said, I was dependent on certain features and the idea of changing the way I collect, store and access all my information was too overwhelming to consider.

But after reading about feature after feature that I have wanted and clearly other people have wanted for years just being ignored, I have come to the conclusion that Evernote designs Evernote according to what they think is cool. Not their users. The very first rule of coding and marketing is that if the end user (majority, of course) doesn't like it, it's useless. I have started researching other note-taking, information managing systems as many of them have improved over the years. I'd still be facing a sea change in terms of my entire framework of collecting, storing and accessing an actual metric ton of information (If it was on paper), but I'm starting to wonder if it's a sea change that just needs to happen in order to keep progressing and becoming more efficient. And that makes me really sad.

It happened: I let a labmate look at a circuit diagram in one of my notes, and he accidentally deleted the diagram and closed out before the change could be reverted. Please implement this feature, Evernote! The current system makes our data terribly fragile, and it's extremely stressful!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elizabeth West said:

The current system makes our data terribly fragile, and it's extremely stressful!

I posted this feature request but I wanted to address the fragile and stressful comment
I'm recover lost data from backups.  I have personal backups and Evernote has a Note History backup feature.

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I posted this feature request but I wanted to address the fragile and stressful comment
I'm recover lost data from backups.  I have personal backups and Evernote has a Note History backup feature.

Fair enough! I also have personal backups, but noticing and correcting these data-loss problems is time-consuming and stressful. Also, Note History is only accessible in Premium or above, and we can only afford Plus. The read-only feature seems like one that should be accessible at any price point.

If you're a paid subscriber, such as I, then you should have access to your HISTORY.

It's located in the top-right corner with the three (3) dots: ...
Choose 'History' and go from there.

one.png

17 minutes ago, UncleRic said:

If you're a paid subscriber, such as I, then you should have access to your HISTORY.

This is true for Premium subscribers but not for lower-tier paying Plus subscribers like me. I understand that Plus was phased out this year, but those who were already members got grandfathered in. This is the message I get when I select "Note History":

Untitled.png.14e3344ff6f1466e54b696be8a9bc096.png

Sorry this side-conversation is getting pretty far afield from the purpose of the thread. I just hoped that sharing my data-loss scare might help nudge Evernote in the direction of adding this requested feature.

Hello everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I've provided a solution to this problem a while ago. Instructions are available here: http://onat.me/readonlymaker 

If you want to learn more, I have some more comments in this thread, a little old by now but this solution still works, there actually are a quite a number of users. 

It doesn't need anything to use, you just add "readonly" as a tag to a note, and they're locked in evernote in next sync, simple as that, works in every platform.

Best,
Onat

If you have any feedback, kindly reach out via evernote certified consultants page ( https://evernote.com/certified-consultants ) by searching with my name or via my website .

This has been an issue for YEARS.
Evernote appears to believe that only Premium subscribers have access to history; which is different from having a mutable/immutable toggle switch installed.

I don't see the difficulty (from a software-developer's perspective) to have such a simple locking feature.

They are actually two features for Evernote.  The doc-locking should be standard  for ALL  users; the history could remain a PREMIUM feature... less useful for the general user.

I don't know how to get Evernote's attention to address this.

44 minutes ago, UncleRic said:

I don't know how to get Evernote's attention to address this.

The read-only feature request is posted at the top of this discussion.  You can indicate your support using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

I'm using a Mac and data backups are easily implemented using Evernote's export feature.