Idea

58 replies to this idea

+10000. I have MANY notes which I want to link to each other, which is currently very cumbersome. (I'm using mainly the Windows app.) I've listed some ideas below.

a: Like another user already mentioned: it would be good to have a "linked notes" section, perhaps at the bottom of a note. I realise this is a completely new feature.

b: Improve the current functionality (control-K). From within my notes, I currently add links a lot. Currently I have to search for the related note, then right-click that note -> "copy note link". Go back to my previous note, then paste the note (control-V). Selecting the note, and doing control-c, control-v doesn't even work (it only copies the note title, not the link). It would already be HUGE improvement if this process could be improved.

For my job I use Confluence (wiki-tool by Atlassian), where there is a simple short-cut (Control-K) to insert a hyperlink. Currently in evernote, you have a VERY basic dialog associated with that short-cut to insert a hyperlink there (you can't even specify the link text). It would be good to have more options there. It could be a 'tabbed' dialog:

1. web link (current functionality, but with a 'link text' text-box added)
  2. Recent notes (The 'Note History' is already stored, could simply be the last 10 notes opened)
  3. Search note -> The user has a search window, and after a search, he can pick the note he wants to insert
    • I realise this would be the most difficult option to implement, so I would already be happy with option 1 & 2

c: It would be nice if the link text (green text) would be updated if the note title is changed as well. I realise this is not always the desired behaviour, so it would have to become a setting which the user can enable/disable per link (and also the standard behaviour in the settings). Right now, if you right-click -> edit, you can only edit the link address. It would be nice to have another text box there with the "link text", and maybe a checkbox: "auto-change link text to note title".This is lower priority, but would be nice to have.

• Like 3

Not sure about changing the UI to any degree,  but having a way to create links (and if necessary new  notes) easily by [[bracketing]] words and some way to maintain and/or check for and repair broken links would be good...  :)

• Like 7

On 8/25/2016 at 3:42 PM, gazumped said:

Not sure about changing the UI to any degree,  but having a way to create links (and if necessary new  notes) easily by [[bracketing]] words and some way to maintain and/or check for and repair broken links would be good...  :)

I like the bracketing idea, but I think there should also be the option to highlight some text, open the contextual menu, select "Link to Note...", and then search for a note to link the text to.

I have a lot of interrelated content that I could connect in this way, and if we had this linking ability the Contextual Suggestions might become even smarter because of it?

• Like 7

On 10/31/2016 at 6:02 AM, Jay_G said:

b: Improve the current functionality (control-K). From within my notes, I currently add links a lot. Currently I have to search for the related note, then right-click that note -> "copy note link". Go back to my previous note, then paste the note (control-V). Selecting the note, and doing control-c, control-v doesn't even work (it only copies the note title, not the link). It would already be HUGE improvement if this process could be improved.

For my job I use Confluence (wiki-tool by Atlassian), where there is a simple short-cut (Control-K) to insert a hyperlink. Currently in evernote, you have a VERY basic dialog associated with that short-cut to insert a hyperlink there (you can't even specify the link text). It would be good to have more options there. It could be a 'tabbed' dialog:

2. Recent notes (The 'Note History' is already stored, could simply be the last 10 notes opened)
  3. Search note -> The user has a search window, and after a search, he can pick the note he wants to insert
    • I realise this would be the most difficult option to implement, so I would already be happy with option 1 & 2

Yes, PLEASE! Basically just make the 'Insert link' dialog an auto-complete field that draws on existing note titles and inserts the corresponding note link.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Willem Van Zyl said:

I think there should also be the option to highlight some text, open the contextual menu, select "Link to Note...", and then search for a note to link the text to.

That's sound like a great solution. This way there's no need for a UI change if it's in the context menu!

And maybe add a small bar underneath the text-formation things at the top which says which notes link to this one or have a section in the Contextual Suggestions where notes are shown who link to the current one.

• Like 3

On 10/31/2016 at 11:02 AM, Jay_G said:

a: Like another user already mentioned: it would be good to have a "linked notes" section, perhaps at the bottom of a note. I realise this is a completely new feature.

c: It would be nice if the link text (green text) would be updated if the note title is changed as well. I realise this is not always the desired behaviour, so it would have to become a setting which the user can enable/disable per link (and also the standard behaviour in the settings). Right now, if you right-click -> edit, you can only edit the link address. It would be nice to have another text box there with the "link text", and maybe a checkbox: "auto-change link text to note title".This is lower priority, but would be nice to have.

As a confluence user I strongly agree with A and B. 

I often work with a Project Master Note from where I link to other notes. What I'd like to see is a "Create and Link note from here."

I.E.:

1. Select text. 
  2. Right click. 
  3. Hyperlink.
  4. Create and link new note here. 

MQX7pgH.png

• Like 1

Agreed. Any steps to keep flow smooth would be helpful. There are several features that require multiple / unnecessary steps (i.e. the 2nd popup we get when clipping emails - I just posted this suggestion as well.)

I like this idea to have the ability to search and link, either via the context area (or elsewhere) or via brackets! Upvoted. 

• Like 3

On 9/1/2016 at 3:45 PM, Willem Van Zyl said:

if we had this linking ability the Contextual Suggestions might become even smarter because of it?

@Willem Van Zyl, I think this is an awesome idea and you should make a separate feature request for it! Wow!

• Like 1

It would be great to be able to quickly create a link between two notes.

I have been create, on Windows, a macro to do that, but I hope Evernote team will implent it inside product.

• Like 2

I just created a new feature request that included some of these ideas. I now see your suggestion and will delete my idea.

I love the highlight some text, right click and search for a note to link to method. I would also like to see an Add New Note option that would create the new note and notelink.

That would seem to solve all my problems.

2 hours ago, Jay_G said:

+10000

.. just the one click in the top-left box will be sufficient for the moment;  the more clicks the more likely Evernote is to have a closer look at this...^_^

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

.. just the one click in the top-left box will be sufficient for the moment;  the more clicks the more likely Evernote is to have a closer look at this...^_^

Was already done. Just wanted to emphasize it's an important feature for me, which probably wouldn't take that much effort to improve upon.
Side note: after a lot of searching/browsing somebody pointed to a hidden "short-cut" to get the link to your current note: alt + N + L

• Like 2

I know there is a way to link a word to a website, but if there is a way to link characters to a note/notebook, please let me know. Say one were to write a book and take related but unnecessary notes simultaneously. The outline could have a link to " Chapter 1: Notes" which consists of writing and "Chapter 1: Notes" consists of your additional notes for that chapter. I don't know if this would benefit anyone else, but it would speed up a lot of processes for me and would organize notes within notebooks much easier especially on the mobile version. 

Cheers,

J

1 hour ago, Justin M Zielke said:

I know there is a way to link a word to a website, but if there is a way to link characters to a note/notebook, please let me know.

You're hijacking someone's request post.

My solution would be to create separate notes which are linked.  The link and navigation keys let me go back and forth

3 hours ago, quietbyday said:

Yes, PLEASE! Basically just make the 'Insert link' dialog an auto-complete field that draws on existing note titles and inserts the corresponding note link.

An interesting feature I use on my Mac is to simply drag a note title into another note.  It creates the link.
I understand it also works in Windows

• Like 2

Well geewhillikins.  Must have missed the memo on that one.  Can confirm it does work very well in Windows.  And that's why I still hang around this neighborhood - there's always something new to learn...  Thanks! :)

I have a project under early development designed to do the linking between notes very easily.

There is a video demo of the early version here:

18 hours ago, Robert David said:

I have a project under early development designed to do the linking between notes very easily.

There is a video demo of the early version here:

Does this have anything to do with Evernote?

1 hour ago, jefito said:

Does this have anything to do with Evernote?

Potentially. At this stage it's just an experiment, it could go many different ways. I'm a long time power user of Evernote, and always looking for improvements.

I'd like smart links where tag words are recognized and can be hyperlinked between notes, plus let it recognize proper nouns like name, company names, and even titles of other notes. So if you have note with a word that happens to be a tag word it would be a hyperlink in the text of the note to other noted with that tag. Also it should would automatically add that tag to the notes tag area and recommend other tags like unrecognized names or titles. 

• Like 1

I just participated in an Evernote panel here in Chicago, and at one point or another, each panelist emphasized that we save notes FOR A REASON.  That reason is--inevitably--because how each new note LINKS to something we already know (e.g. another previously saved note).  We wouldn't save any notes without there being a tie-in, or link, to something we already know or think about. 

So yes, these links are...everything.  And the linking feature being discussed here is available in Crusoe.

I invite anyone interested in linking their notes to download Crusoe for the iPad (iPhone version coming soon).  Crusoe is a mobile Evernote app for the iPad and it allows you, at the tap of a finger, to create two-way links between your notes.  And as you build these "trains of thought" you follow links forward and back down different pathways.

Check out the website here:  http://crusoe.co/

Download here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crusoe/id1020912650?mt=8

FYI, check out the attached image to see what your links look like in Crusoe.

You can also watch a quick video if you scroll halfway down the page here.

Crusoe screenshot Vannevar page.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rocket J. Squirrel said:

each panelist emphasized that we save notes FOR A REASON.  That reason is--inevitably--because how each new note LINKS to something we already know (e.g. another previously saved note).  We wouldn't save any notes without there being a tie-in, or link, to something we already know or think about.

My brain must be wired differently or something - I mainly save notes as individual nuggets of data:  a letter from my bank / a photograph of the town where I was born / a clipping about AI / a new app release (nice ad above,  by the way..).

At some later time I'll use the search feature to unearth the information I saved.  Looking back on my childhood turns up the picture.  Checking my statement connects to the letter.  Writing a post or an explanation brings up various options including several items on AI that I saved.

Don't get me wrong I do use note links,  and it's a pain to set one up still - I used to be heavily into MediaWiki and writing some explanations meant that mentioning [internet access] or [Note Links] in square brackets would automatically add a link to a page with that title,  or create a new red link to indicate it was not yet written.  It was / is easy to flesh out a paragraph or two on any subject with more explanations or background on any concept.  Something similar in Evernote would change the way I write notes and give me trees of information rather than a huge flat database with tags and titles.  I would love to have the wiki feature.

But that's a creative thing.  When I'm collating information for my item on AI I might find something about that home town (serendipity is real) - and fitting that item into its own structure would distract me from the task I started out with.  I just need to file the information,  confident that I can find it later.

Just sayin'

;) 

• Like 1

Hmmn.  In fact a bit of not-joined-up searching in my database popped these two out -

- And I see Crusoe is Apple Only which puts a sizeable dent in it for me.  ^_^

18 minutes ago, gazumped said:

- And I see Crusoe is Apple Only which puts a sizeable dent in it for me.  ^_^

Also see it doesn't show Rocket J Squirrel as CEO either.  ;)

• Like 1

Nah - some guy called Doug Johnson seems to be the guiding light there...  :)

• Like 1

gazumped,

You make an excellent point!  There are many notes I save that I don't want to remember: documents from my insurance claim, tax receipts.  Those are nuggets of data.  There is no reason to link notes like that.  But most of the notes I save are excerpts from articles and books--stuff I do want to remember.  And by "remember," I mean I want to remember why I thought it was worth saving.  

That paragraph about AI you saved is something you want to remember.  If I had seen the same paragraph I probably wouldn't have saved it.  But you saved it because it speaks to a lot of stuff you already know.  The research says we forget about 90% of what we read 30 days after having read it (unless we keep the synapse in our minds from breaking by using that text again).  If you have, say, 2,000 notes, you won't be able to put your hands on that paragraph again once you forget it.  You might search evernote for "AI" and get 300 articles, and you'll see it again if you go through them all.  

But that paragraph you clipped either confirmed something you already knew, it contracted something you already knew, it added to something you already knew, took a new direction from...you get the idea.  If you linked that paragraph to two or three other notes you'll be sure to see it again if you think of any one of those other notes (and of course vice versa).

Sorry about the Apple limitation!  Pipeline is iPhone and then web-based version.

• Like 1

I just need to file the information,  confident that I can find it later.

But once you forget about that file, how can you find it?  To search for something you first must be aware that it exists.  We lose that awareness when we forget.  You need some kind of system of reminders to put it in front of you at the right time and place.

You can go to your AI notebook and read through everythiing in the notebook, but most people don't have time for that.  And even if you do that, you might see the article when you are thinking about something entirely unrelated to the reason you saved that particular AI note in the first place.  So without that context, it fails to register when you see it again.  So even if you read through the entire notebook, you'll be seeing most notes out of context.  I have this experience every time I come across a note and think "why the hell did I save this?"  I've lost the link, the context.

We save information like a paragraph from an article because it might be useful later on (or right now).  But merely saving it and putting it in a file (or multiple files w tags and notebooks) is no different than photocopying everything and putting it in my steelcase filing cabinet.  Once I forget about these pieces of paper, I'm never going to see them again.  (I had an opportunity to present this to the CIA and I pointed out that they had the documents needed to track down Bin Laden from the get go...the problem was that it was merely stored in a file).

• Like 1

Still on a slightly different page,  I think.  I'm collecting information like a Magpie (smart,  and aquisitive) and I 'tag' each snippet with real tags or titles as it goes into my database.  I wouldn't search for 'AI' alone (just did - 2,862!) - it would be in connection with cars,  or another topic which would bring the total way down.  I add keywords and tags until I get to the main meat of my research or history.  That will still throw up a few wild cards - usually interesting ones and sometimes connections I hadn't previously made;  but generally things seem to work pretty well.  As I said:  I think the difference is between acquiring information that is on topic but not immediately relevant to my current task,  and creating something on a specific issue which requires that I check into the background.

I'm sure you'll get around to Windows and Android sometime - maybe I'll use links more then.  ^_^

Before Evernote came out I actually started working on my own Evernote.  I started building a web clipper, but I barely got started when Evernote came out and I was happy to not have to build my own.  For years I used Evernote just the way you describe.  I thought tagging / notebooks  were more than just categories of information, but they aren't.  They are no different than manila folders in filing cabinets.  Now, filing cabinets work, don't get me wrong.  But as my tag list grew I realized I had to memorize my tags if I wanted access to those notes (and those short tags were like codewords...tough to remember what I meant by them all as time went on).  Most of my tags had five or fewer notes attached, and there was no way I could keep track of all those tags.  I cut the list way down so that most of my tags had 20 or more notes, but then i was having to look at too many notes.

My mind doesn't put information into categories.  You and I start talking and my mind will just start serving things up, seemingly without my even thinking about it.  So I wondered if there would be a way to make my mobile device work like that.  That is, when I think of X, show me three other notes that I think are completely relevant to X, without my having to remember tags or notes or anything else to put my hands on those other three notes.  That was my motivation going in: have my notes serve themselves up the way my mind would serve them up if I had perfect recall (IOW, I want notes to serve themselves up based on how I actually think rather than by some latent semantic indexing algorithm).  And I want notes to serve themselves up independent of whether I remember those notes.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I also agree this should be improved.

In my perspective could be in 2 ways:

1. Right-click in where we want to create note link, and should appear a contextual box, where we could make a search by title, tag, etc. and should give a set of results and we can just choose the note we want to link;
  2. Use a initiator string, like [Link] and the contextual box should appear.

在 Thursday, August 25, 2016 在 PM6點46分, floerian1994說:

Right now it's a multistep-process to manually link two notes with each other. Coping the note link, inserting it in the other on and if necessary copy the link of the other note to link back at the initial note.

With nearly 5,000 notes in Evernote it get's more and more important to build networks, otherwise a huge amount of notes never gets looked at.

Maybe at the bottom of each note (where the 'context' section is) you could place a little search bar to enter other note (titles) to connect them with each other.
This way it would be more easier to jump between related notes and manually add such connections instead of relying on the 'context' feature.

good idea!

fwiw  On my Mac I can just drag a note into another note. The link is created
Saves the copy-link step

DTLow & rocku,

If you get a chance, and if you have an iPad, please give Crusoe a try.  We built specifically to create links between Evernote notes.  But unlike the hyperlinks you create in Evernote, our links are two-way and graphical.  So you can browse your notes from link to link.  You can read about and download Crusoe here: http://crusoe.co/what-is-crusoe/

HI.  Has anyone tried selecting text and using Ctrl+K (Command+K) to insert a URL?  You get a link to the URL behind the text you highlighted.

Also dragging and dropping one note into another,  or pasting the note link there,  shows the note title as a link.

Use TheBrain (www.thebrain.com). There you can link every thought with another. The biggest Brain has over 300.000 thoughts and it still works fine and fast. In the coming new Version 9 is an intern browser where you can see the linked Evernote note and, and, and...

On 2017-08-07 at 2:45 AM, J-V said:

I often work with a Project Master Note from where I link to other notes. What I'd like to see is a "Create and Link note from here”

I work on a Mac, and do something similar via scripting 

I avoid these types of ‘child links’ because they get out of date.  My process is to link the notes with a tag (Project-xxxxx) and retrieve the notes via search

• Like 1

We have this CMD-J feature for very quickly do a search in evernote (or switch). If the CMD-K (insert Link) would be organized similarly, it would be perfect. Think of: During typing you pres CMD-K and get a list including recently visited webpages and search vor evernote notes - so just insert the link... Should be possible easily in Desktop Versions and makeable in mobile versions.

I would also just like to add here that a functionality similar to that of Google Docs would be great (see attached image). In that case, if you add a link (ctrl-k) you can just start typing and it searches other google drive documents as well as the web. This would be great for Evernote: search existing notes (based on titles and tags?) and the web. 

Of course, different users have different needs, but I think that the reactions here show that an improved implementation of linking notes in Evernote would be very welcome. The current method sooms to be too cumbersome for most users, and for me it distracts from my actual work while taking notes.

Screenshot 2017-11-06 at 14.58.48.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeap!

Kind of a "Links sub search" in each note - if you find another note from that search and press enter it adds a reference to current note on that note you just clicked.

Example:

If i want to connect my vectors note to linear algebra, machine learning and so on:

I just need to find this 2 notes on my Vectors note "Links sub search" and press enter twice...

I would love a better way to connect notes. I like @Alteraf 's idea. I definitely would like to find and link a note while I am working in the note.

My ideal feature request would be a visual interface you can "spread" your notes like paper onto a canvas and see a bigger picture among your notes and drag/link as  you would like. It can help you generate new ideas or make connections that you did not have before.

MohioMap comes close to this for sure. It gives a nice, flowing visual of all your notes and your cloud storage. 

I am going to give Crusoe a try as suggested before here which seems like a good app.

I think so . I mean that in the way a note can connect to the related note . Because  when a note became too long I often break it into two note , and in that case it is good idea that there is a link between that two. 

9 minutes ago, naturale said:

I mean that in the way a note can connect to the related note . Because  when a note became too long I often break it into two note , and in that case it is good idea that there is a link between that two. 

Note:  there is a note link feature5aabd791242b7_ScreenShot2018-03-16at07_40_59.png.054ca8bbfb35ac6edb0da76fa09af3ae.png

The screenshots are from my Mac

• Like 1

3 hours ago, naturale said:

I think so . I mean that in the way a note can connect to the related note . Because  when a note became too long I often break it into two note , and in that case it is good idea that there is a link between that two. 

You might also be interested in a Table of Contents note: https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/01/15/create-table-contents-evernote/

• Like 2

On 3/16/2018 at 9:42 PM, DTLow said:

Note:  there is a note link feature5aabd791242b7_ScreenShot2018-03-16at07_40_59.png.054ca8bbfb35ac6edb0da76fa09af3ae.png

The screenshots are from my Mac

Thanks you for the information . It is help me manage my note better . Thanks 

+1 Linking notes is a multiple step procedure. In combination with the fact, that I can only open one instance of Evernote, this is a very cumbersome process right now.

I link up notes a lot and really wish I could copy and paste links using the mobile app

On 6/5/2018 at 1:12 AM, MacherTV_Peter said:

+1 Linking notes is a multiple step procedure. In combination with the fact, that I can only open one instance of Evernote, this is a very cumbersome process right now.

I tend to open the target note in its own window, makes it a bit easier.  Double monitor set up helps as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a similar idea related to not linking improvement. That is related to finding all instances to internal links used across all notes of an account.

More elaborately in this feature request post.

Pls join this idea too,

On the general topic of links, it would be really helpful if we could...

1. Select a snippet of text.
2. Use a keyboard or menu command to create a NEW note with (1) the selected text as the title; and (2) hyperlinked back to the original note.

Use Case: Suppose I have a note that compiles my conversations with my supervisor. I have a conversation where he asks me to do three things – Project A, B and C. I could type my notes from the original conversation in the "Supervisor" note, then quickly create separate, linked notes for each of the projects.

» For bonus points, automatically create a link BACK to the original note and place that in the Context section.

3 minutes ago, Dave Hiersekorn said:

On the general topic of links, it would be really helpful if we could...

1. Select a snippet of text.
2. Use a keyboard or menu command to create a NEW note with (1) the selected text as the title; and (2) hyperlinked back to the original note.

I suggest you post this as a separate request.  It's got my vote.

I'm currently using a script on my Mac.  I often create task notes from meeting minutes.

After discussing for so many years, why are there no anchor point functions?

Do you want to force everyone away?

4 minutes ago, nick.yang said:

After discussing for so many years, why are there no anchor point functions?

Do you want to force everyone away?

Anchor point functions is a different discussion.
I posted a link below.
You're welcome to add your vote to the request.

My view is the Evernote editor/format is not suited for anchor point functions.
I use a different editor/format, and store the file as a note attachment.

Linking does not even work in the current version IF THE NOTE is not synced yet.

Syncing is a slow process, especialy when you try to jump in with both feet and convert from something else.  The upload limit has killed me 3 times.  That is before I could make Evernote useful I had to give up for a month.   year later I tried again.  Same thing.  A year later I tried again.  Now I'm working on try 4.  Its gone better (I think you moved the upload limit).

Anyway I tried linking a couple of notes in a new notebook and could not make it work.  As usual I made a test case and believe the problem is that copying of an internal notes link simply does not work - unless the source note is synced.  An unsynced note can receive a note just fine of course.  I also find the page limits for OCR and file size are a real pain.  Scansnap can make and OCR these files, but it looks like they can't be used.  I have not had time to verify with the usual debug procedure.

If linking relies on the source note being synchronized YOU MUST have a way to FORCE LINK a specific note when other stuff is synchronizing,  (or it should just be automatic).  Since I first tried evernote my internet bandwidth is at least 4 times what it was.  No getting 20 Mb up and 140 Mb Down.  Evernote is still the major networking headach and bottleneck to productivity.  I'm going to comtinue my 4th attempt a bit longer, but this time its audios amigos.

5 hours ago, umina said:

Linking does not even work in the current version IF THE NOTE is not synced yet.

This might be device/platform specific.
Syncing is not a requirement on Mac and IOS

4 hours ago, umina said:

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

This might be device/platform specific.

In the Windows universe it's certainly true that until you sync a note it doesn't have a UID to link from or to.  However my desktop client is set up to sync automatically once a note has some content.  Syncing can take a little while (seconds) depending on whether you are creating lots of new notes,  how busy your device connection might be with other traffic,  and how big a PDF you just added as a  attachment.  In my normal operations syncing has never (yet) been an impediment when linking notes...

On 4/30/2019 at 10:30 AM, umina said:

Syncing is a slow process, especialy when you try to jump in with both feet and convert from something else.  The upload limit has killed me 3 times.

Well, the first sync of a massive note load will take a while but you should be fine after that.  As a premium member that 30 GB of data if you got stopped 3 times.  A lot of stuff.

IAC, similar to @gazumped I simply click the sync icon when I have a new note I want to link in another note.  Never takes more than a couple seconds, in a steady state world anyway.  Ditto if it is an email I just sent to EN so that I can get to my local DB.  Not earth shattering stuff.  I would recommend doing whatever linking you are doing after you complete the first sync.