Jump to content
pcryan5

Word Processing to Evernote

Recommended Posts

I use EN on Windows and OS X. I find the EN text editor insufficient.

What text editors do you use to compose text outside of Evernote?

FWIW I am currently using Ulysses (OS X) to compose then shoot to EN.

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, pcryan5 said:

I use EN on Windows and OS X. I find the EN text editor insufficient.

What text editors do you use to compose text outside of Evernote?

FWIW I am currently using Ulysses (OS X) to compose then shoot to EN.

I find the text EN text editor ok for basic notes.

For serious work, I use dedicated apps

- word processing: Pages (Apple)

- spread sheets: Numbers (Apple)

- note taking: Notability (Apple)

I store the final files from these apps in EN, in pdf format

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I find the text EN text editor ok for basic notes.

For serious work, I use dedicated apps

- word processing: Pages (Apple)

- spread sheets: Numbers (Apple)

- note taking: Notability (Apple)

Thanks for the note. I tried Page out.

Pages isn't bad as you can easily display the tex within EN. Ulysses imports as an attachment which is a bore.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, pcryan5 said:

Thanks for the note. I tried Page out.

Pages isn't bad as you can easily display the tex within EN. Ulysses imports as an attachment which is a bore.

Actually I display mostly everything in attachment mode, instead of inline; including pdfs

It cuts down on the clutter.  I include important details in the title, or as text within the note

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Enrico Nahler said:

If you happen to own an iOS device Matcha3 is the best markdown editor you want to own on you device to write notes directly into Evernote. http://matchaapp.com

Just took a look at the website and the preview of the app in iTunes. It has a stunning interface.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Just took a look at the website and the preview of the app in iTunes. It has a stunning interface.

 

Thank you Sayre.

~P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2016-08-24 at 11:05 AM, DTLow said:

Actually I display mostly everything in attachment mode, instead of inline; including pdfs

It cuts down on the clutter.  I include important details in the title, or as text within the note

Good advice - I will give it a try. I tend to use Papers 3 for my PDF's. I'm in healthcare and they rain in non stop so management is .... a challenge. 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a journalist. I take notes in Evernote, and write articles in Ulysses. Each article gets a unique tag. I tag the Ulysses document with that tag, and then I use the same tag on every Evernote note associated with that article. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mitch Wagner said:

I'm a journalist. I take notes in Evernote, and write articles in Ulysses. Each article gets a unique tag. I tag the Ulysses document with that tag, and then I use the same tag on every Evernote note associated with that article. 

 

Thanks Mitch. The common tag idea is a good one and I will adopt it.

I wander from Ulysses to Scrivener depending on complexity of document. I find long docs with a lot of research works best in scrivener. Ulysses is my preference rowing to its superior cross device functionality. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I am so new to this.  So my question may appear simple.

I want to edit documents within Evernote instead of deleting and dragging newly updated into Evernote.  Can I?

I am a mac user - and currently use Word for mac but am not beholden to that program. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/7/2016 at 6:52 AM, harmoned said:

I want to edit documents within Evernote instead of deleting and dragging newly updated into Evernote.  Can I?

 

 

You can create notes in EN or double click on inserted files to edit outside of EN. 

EN will not directly edit word files however. IMHO - Plain text files are the way to go for cross editing.

Share this post


Link to post
On September 7, 2016 at 6:52 AM, harmoned said:

I am so new to this.  So my question may appear simple.

I want to edit documents within Evernote instead of deleting and dragging newly updated into Evernote.  Can I?

I am a mac user - and currently use Word for mac but am not beholden to that program. 

On my Mac, I can right click on an attachment and chose which app to use     Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 7.47.17 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post

Does this then "keep it in Evernote" so that my changes "stay" or do I have to delete the original and drop and drag the new one?

Elizabeth

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, harmoned said:

Does this then "keep it in Evernote" so that my changes "stay" or do I have to delete the original and drop and drag the new one?

Correct, it's a note attachment and the update is handled automatically 

If you want the technical details; the attachment is exported to a temporary folder.  After you do the update, Evernote recognizes the document has been changed, and updates the note attachment 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks so much, one last thing.  Does the calendar that you can upload in Evernote --- same thing right?  So one space for calendar, documents and reminders.  Love it.

E.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, harmoned said:

Thanks so much, one last thing.  Does the calendar that you can upload in Evernote --- same thing right?  So one space for calendar, documents and reminders.  Love it

Calendar?

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for your help.  In IOS 7 - is there a keystroke for "right click" or can you only edit Word and Excel on the desktop?  If you have a keyboard connected to your ipad or phone can you then edit?

Thanks again,

Elizabeth

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, harmoned said:

Thank you for your help.  In IOS 7 - is there a keystroke for "right click" or can you only edit Word and Excel on the desktop?  If you have a keyboard connected to your ipad or phone can you then edit?

IOS isn't as simple as Windows/Mac

I don't use Word/Excel, but my experience with Pages/Numbers is that I have to do the update manually.
The system will copy the file outside of EN, but then you have to manually copy the updated file back into EN
I wasn't happy with having two copies of the file, so instead I use a file link and store the file on the iCloud Drive

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...