Does EN still have a 100 page limit for OCR of PDF files?

EdH

• Level 5*

Once upon a time, Evernote would not OCR PDF files if they were 100 pages or larger. Does that limit still exist in 2016? I couldn't find anything to support or refute it.

Wondering if I need to manually OCR some largish PDF files before putting them in Evernote. (less than 250 pages, so not outrageous, but not under 100 pages either)

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

Best bet is probably to open a support ticket and get the answer from the horses' mouth...

They will ask for my sync log though...:D;)

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Metrodon said:

And tell you to reinstall....

lol. it's funny because it's true. eight years now, and i can expect the same advice at the end of every ticket. i literally got it again this morning. *sigh* i said no thank you.

i wouldn't report it if it wasn't a bug, we finally get to the point where they can reproduce it, and then they want me to reinstall (taking several hours or days to finally download several gigabytes of offline notes), but the bug is still there... i think it was 2011 that this became a weekly thing (my posts are around here somewhere). 

i usually get along well with the support folks and i appreciate their hard work, but whoever decided back in 2008 that deleting and reinstalling was a legitimate way to solve a problem was very mistaken -- sure, it actually does work sometimes, but the analogy would be throwing away your car every time the windshield got too dirty to see through. a better solution would be to design the problem out of the car (windshield wipers and wiper fluid). then, support wouldn't have to give those silly instructions.

• Level 5*

You couldn't pay me to do support work full time -- dealing with those miserable entitled customers and their first-world problems? No way. :) 

For the record, the "reinstall" thingy is older than 2008 -- it used to be a mantra that "you should reinstall Windows" when I first started developing on Windows 3. 

• Level 5
6 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

i usually get along well with the support folks and i appreciate their hard work, but whoever decided back in 2008 that deleting and reinstalling was a legitimate way to solve a problem was very mistaken

I agree it is a tough job.

And I also agree the "uninstall with Revo, then reinstall and sync for several hours" mantra is lame. In my 30+ years of computer experience, Evernote is the only software company that relies on the uninstall as an integral part of their first line of support.

Because of this knee-jerk response, I seldom submit a support request anymore. Lurking in this forum is far more productive.

• Level 5*

a bunch of useless gurus in here. i can't even rant properly without you all taking this thread wildly off topic. even more than i did. 

the 100 page thing, it does seem to be around (according to the evernote support page in japan).

https://help.evernote.com/hc/ja/articles/208313388-スキャンした-PDF-を検索する際のヒント

i usually ocr things before uploading them. i like to have control over the process. i'm not sure what it is about 100, but google won't index pdf pages over 100, even if you do all the ocr yourself. annoying, but it's easy to work around, and at least they tell us about the limits. they weren't always publicized this well.

as for the re-install, i am having second thoughts. i just realized a week or more into my offline downloading that i still haven't got all of my stuff in the offline noteboook available (i'd report it, but then we'd have to go through the song and dance, and this is an 8-year-old complaint of mine). at this rate, i'll travel to four more countries (literally) before it finally ends (racking up the miles this year). hahaha. maybe i've got nothing to lose after all. the whole point of the offline notebooks was to have stuff available while traveling. oh well. there's a workaround for that as well.

by the way, i appreciate the customersupport and all (a very demanding and under-appreciated job), but for some of these things it would be very nice to escalate to the top engineers before dithering about with the basic stuff. to be fair, they don't know who i am, but i just want to say "shibboleet," report stuff, and get back to work :) 

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Whilst I wouldn't trust a single t-shirt prejudiced word any of us say,  have a look around here - Tips for searching scanned PDFs - 100 pages is still quoted.

Thanks @gazumped. That is what I was looking for, or rather, wasn't. :wacko:

I prefer not to pre-OCR my files unlike @GrumpyMonkey but it is out of laziness and I don't have an app on my Mac that can do that. I do on my PC, but it is dog slow.

Not sure why there is a 100 page limit on a paid service.

But I wouldn't expect you company-line toting lapdogs to know.

(someone one day not familiar with the recent "guru" talk is going to wonder what the heck is going on in this thread)

• Level 5*

Every day or two, I select a bunch of my scanned stuff and set Adobe to OCR it. It'll do it all for you overnight, if you'd like. It's slow and extremely labor intensive, even on rather high end devices. But, I'm asleep when it works, so no worries :)

Obviously, my lack of righteous rage about this, and my suggestion of a workaround outs me as a running dog lackey of the capitalist silicon valley elites. But, that should have been obvious by my post count, which either shows that I care about the community, or that I get paid by post count. If only it were the latter...

• Level 5*

I nearly re-installed over the weekend as I was getting a bunch of sync errors and I knew that it would be the first thing that support would say on Monday. Fortunately, I got dragged to the pub and by the time I got back the status page had been updated and there were server side problems.

Couple of things come out of this:

1. Client side notifications of server side issues are terrible/non-existent

2. I actually was going to do a reinstall!!!! 

3. Frickin' Gurus, hanging out, sharing information, helping people. If I was not a lawyer I'd be making all kinds of sweeping generalisations about the moral stance taken by you all. Etc.

• Level 5*
On August 22, 2016 at 11:53 AM, EdH said:

Once upon a time, Evernote would not OCR PDF files if they were 100 pages or larger. Does that limit still exist in 2016? I couldn't find anything to support or refute it.

Wondering if I need to manually OCR some largish PDF files before putting them in Evernote. (less than 250 pages, so not outrageous, but not under 100 pages either)

I tried using a 117 page PDF - no OCR, no search
I deleted 20 pages, the PDF was quickly OCRd and could be searched

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, DTLow said:

I tried using a 117 page PDF - no OCR, no search
I deleted 20 pages, the PDF was quickly OCRd and could be searched

thanks for the confirm. Annoying...

Archived