MULTIPLE BUGS & New Issues (Editing bugs, web clipping, scroll lag etc.)

Greetings from an Evernote 7.9.3 Android user!

Keyboard: Google Keyboard / Fleksy Keyboard, Current Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (Android 5.1), ex Evernote-device: Samsung Note 3 neo

A humble request to EN team go through issues (verified on both of my devices) and do the needful :

1. *** While using Backspace on words in middle of the line, newly added checkbox (in the case when checkbox is auto-added due to newline) gets deleted. 
  2. *** Backspacing sometimes deletes words randomly on the same line, and appends junk text (eg. Line 1 has 5 words. I attempt to erase word 5 and word 4 gets deleted, and/or some extra characters get appended after deleting the word) (demoed in video I've shared) ---- EDIT:  Point 1 & 2 got some problem with the auto-correct feature of the keyboards. 
  3. Scroll LAG even on High-end devices (Snapdragon 650, 3GB RAM)this happens in case of multiple 1 or 1.5MB+ sized images in that note. 
  4. Copy-paste of text from a web-article retains Font size and color of the source text .
    In this case, newlines get randomly inserted between lines in that note (please refer to screenshot, the empty lines were added automatically every timed I edited the note) (demo-ed in video I've shared).
    *** Cursor, then itself freezes at times you try to edit this newly copied internet text. ----- EDIT:  These notes then take forever to open #'Opening note'. 
  5. Sometimes it takes 2 attempts to check a checkbox. 
  6. slow to load long (offline) image notes.
  7. Clipping of Full web page is slow & fails sometimes (doesn't even notify if it's not clipped since a long time).
  8. If some big note doesn't get sync'd due to network failure, it mostly won't get sync'd even on good net connection later. (occasional).
  9. Web-Clipping is still awful. Egwebpage components overlap, some junk text is only what gets clipped, zoomed text gets saved that ain't scroll-able/resizable. 
  10. Widget, doesn't show all of the shortcuts on the 1st time after it reloads. It needs a re-scroll to load all (I have 20+ shortcuts).

Video links for demo of bugs from point 1,2 and 4 (from my google-drive):-

Video 1(link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3kDYn-4wtG9d3oyV2NfbzNNTkU/view?usp=sharing), you can see

< 1>how text gets randomly deleted on the same line as the cursor 

<2>Checkbox gets deleted even though the cursor is away 

<3>Text of two different checkboxes mix etc.

Video 2(link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3kDYn-4wtG9Q2psOU1NaTZ1RjQ/view?usp=sharing), you can see newline inserted without intent !

Screenshot_2016-07-19-10-23-16_com.evernote.png

SUGGESTIONS: 

1. Please enable note-sharing externally (it hurts).
  2. UX. Badly needed! It takes almost 2X efforts, as compared to traditional apps, for making any note-changes.
  3. Improve clipping. 
  4. Note-editor screen is too cluttered for small-screen phones. 
  5. Let Handwriting and text be mixed in order of their addition, instead of all Handwriting pages being forced together. 
  6. A 'save' option on the 'Discard changes' dialog or a quicker way to save and exit the edit mode, since the top-left and top-right Save Buttons aren't easily accessible on phablets, using one hand. 

Thanks, 
The curious EN Fan

36 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  You posted this in Android Help but there's no voting option here - would you like me to move this to the feedback section so people can show their support?

Hello! 

I have posted these issues earlier in the 'Feedback' section but there were no responses. 

I observed that the 'Help' section has healthy discussions. Hence, I've posted this here as well :)

Would love to get suggestions! 

Parsh

• Level 5*

OK - I think you'll get general agreement that the Android editor has a number of areas which could do with improvement.  We do know that Evernote is still working on a 'common editor' which now works in all OS's rather than use OS-specific coding.  That's good news in that what's available in Android will also be available in iOS and Windows,  but may be slow going because there's a lot of functionality to code into one editor.  They seem to have launched the new version as soon as it worked 'reasonably' well,  but Evernote don't (usually) give details about work in progress of intended release dates,  so we may have to be patient for a while...

51 minutes ago, gazumped said:

OK - I think you'll get general agreement that the Android editor has a number of areas which could do with improvement.  We do know that Evernote is still working on a 'common editor' which now works in all OS's rather than use OS-specific coding.  That's good news in that what's available in Android will also be available in iOS and Windows,  but may be slow going because there's a lot of functionality to code into one editor.  They seem to have launched the new version as soon as it worked 'reasonably' well,  but Evernote don't (usually) give details about work in progress of intended release dates,  so we may have to be patient for a while...

If what I understood is correct, the editor we've in the stable version is the stock Android editor that is about to be replaced by their own one. That's nice! 

Still, points 2,4 and 9 are real mess for normal as well as power use.

I've seen some users posting issues similar to points 2 & 4 somewhere in the forum, solution to which hasn't been unearthed yet. 

Parsh

Yeah, lately I'm seeing all sorts of textual weirdness.

When I try to copy/paste something (for example, from OWA) into evernote on the web (in two different browsers), I don't see anything except sometimes the text will shift around.  But then when the note saves, the preview in the note list actually shows the content I just pasted in (sometimes lots of it, since I may have pasted multiple times thinking it wasn't working...)  Still, the full view of the note doesn't show anything.

I can then go try to view the note on android.  Again, the preview has the correct text but when I open the note it appears blank.  Until I click the edit button, and then the text appears.  But when I save it *here* it moves the right margin almost all the way over to the left side of the screen so the lines are only 5 or 6 characters long and squished onto each other.  Trying to go back and edit this in a web viewer doesn't really help, though that is at least how I managed to discern the issue with the margins.

On top of that, trying to select things doesn't work either.  I can manually select a small chunk of a few lines, or I can ctrl-A to select everything.  Nothing in between.  When I attempt to backspace to get the lines sorted out so I can (hopefully) select them, nothing happens.

On 21/08/2016 at 10:15 AM, parsh said:

Let Handwriting and text be mixed in order of addition, instead of all Handwriting pages together

I too would really like this feature to be included soon. For instance, in a classroom scenario, if one creates a note for each class, it's quite common to be constantly alternating between plain text and handwritten notes/diagrams/schemes inside the same note.

Up until now, every handwritten attachment you try to add inside a note gets "parked" all together, which really messes the order of the note's information...

11 hours ago, filipe.ms.pedro said:

I too would really like this feature to be included soon. For instance, in a classroom scenario, if one creates a note for each class, it's quite common to be constantly alternating between plain text and handwritten notes/diagrams/schemes inside the same note.

Up until now, every handwritten attachment you try to add inside a note gets "parked" all together, which really messes the order of the note's information...

That shall be the true sense of a notebook-and-notes concept :)

• 1 month later...

Yeah some time ago I also began experiencing a lot of textual weirdness, but with the auto-correct.  It worked fine for years, but then recently it really began to go haywire repeating symbols and letters that I'm not even typing, auto-correcting in a weird manner, etc.  It can be really frustrating and it continues to do this even when I shut off auto-correct.  

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Just to link these threads -

Other issues aside, this link concerns the very typing issue to only Samsung users, that's not true.
Just consider my example, it's definitely not just Samsung, it's Xiaomi too, and the Google Keyboard does no good in solving the problem.

I hope other problems I mentioned (and commonly observed) are also being worked upon and will be available unlike current monthly updates bringing null relief.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, parsh said:

Other issues aside, this link concerns the very typing issue to only Samsung users, that's not true.

You're right that the link I referenced (apparently) concerns a Samsung issue.  @AlexWellBeing posted there when also contributing to this thread,  so I linked the two.  Plus any Samsung user seeing this thread might think they're part of the general issue,  not something specific to Samsung.  Hence the link.  There was no intention to imply that by investigating the specific Samsung glitch Evernote is working to fix the overall fault(s),  though they would be unbelievably dumb if they weren't already following up all possibilities.

38 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You're right that the link I referenced (apparently) concerns a Samsung issue.  @AlexWellBeing posted there when also contributing to this thread,  so I linked the two.  Plus any Samsung user seeing this thread might think they're part of the general issue,  not something specific to Samsung.  Hence the link.  There was no intention to imply that by investigating the specific Samsung glitch Evernote is working to fix the overall fault(s),  though they would be unbelievably dumb if they weren't already following up all possibilities.

I had already gotten you :)

I thought I should draw a line between these two so that viewers don't equate them.  

Archived