Importing data from PDFs - deleting all PDFs

MMartinLBK

Idea

Hello EN Forum,

I'm a new user to EN having just purchased the Premium package. Powerful stuff! I've converted all of my Microsoft OneNote files into EN and that was very easy to do. However I'm stuck a point where I don't seem to be able to move forward with this product. For several years I had two main ways of collecting and using data: 1) Content went straight to OneNote, or; 2) Content saved or captured into PDF files of which I have a ton of them. For a couple of years when I had time I would open a PDF file, figure out a way to copy the _content_ of the PDF into OneNote and then delete the PDF. Needless to say it is very time consuming. My colleagues at work all raved about EN and said PDFs are very easily dumped into the system. What I have discovered is that EN is saving them as attachments when I import them into my account, which is not what I was hoping to accomplish with this tool. 

Here's what I want to do:

1. Export _contents_ of PDF _into_ EN notebook as a page IN the notebook - Not as an attachment! NEVER see the PDF again. I don't need any of the special markup or formatting there, just the content. 

2. Delete PDF from hard drive.

Is what I want possible? 

Thanks!

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, MMartinLBK said:

Hello EN Forum,

I'm a new user to EN having just purchased the Premium package. Powerful stuff! I've converted all of my Microsoft OneNote files into EN and that was very easy to do. However I'm stuck a point where I don't seem to be able to move forward with this product. For several years I had two main ways of collecting and using data: 1) Content went straight to OneNote, or; 2) Content saved or captured into PDF files of which I have a ton of them. For a couple of years when I had time I would open a PDF file, figure out a way to copy the _content_ of the PDF into OneNote and then delete the PDF. Needless to say it is very time consuming. My colleagues at work all raved about EN and said PDFs are very easily dumped into the system. What I have discovered is that EN is saving them as attachments when I import them into my account, which is not what I was hoping to accomplish with this tool. 

1. Export _contents_ of PDF _into_ EN notebook as a page IN the notebook - Not as an attachment! NEVER see the PDF again. I don't need any of the special markup or formatting there, just the content. 

I'm just the opposite - I want the original pdf saved/viewed as an attachment
I only open it if I need it
Its included in searches

As to copying content within the note text; I use copy/paste or screen capture

25 minutes ago, MMartinLBK said:

Hello EN Forum,

Is what I want possible? 

Thanks!

Hi there @MMartinLBK, welcome to the Forums!

Unless copying the content into a new note, PDF's can only be added as attachments to notes. You can find more detailed information about attaching files in Evernote here:

How to attach a file to a note

You can search attached PDFs created from:

• Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, or other office and word processing applications
  • Scanned documents (Evernote Premium and Business only)

Tips for searching Scanned PDFs

With Evernote Premium, you also have the ability to annotate attached PDFs in notes. More information at the link below:

How to annotate images and PDFs in Evernote

I hope that helps! 

BSR,

Thanks for the info but it doesn't really help. It is my ultimate goal to merge the content of my OneNotes and PDFs together in one system. Previously I had OneNote + PDFs and managed both of them manually. With EN it appears I will still have "Notebooks" +  PDFs and will still have to manage both of them manually. Since I've already paid for OneNote and I'm on a regular subscription with EN I have an unnecessary duplication of products. Both of these systems have cloud based access so I'm not stuck there. Both systems have email -> Notebook capabilities and I'm not stuck there either.  

Since I can't accomplish my primary goal then I believe I will return to OneNote + PDFs and just continue as before. EN is a very cool product but wish import features had a few more options for those of us who have a lot of content in documents and PDFs. I don't need another "cabinet" to move PDFs to. They are already in this "cabinet." I need the content in a single tool. I'll get there with OneNote but will just take a little longer. 

Thanks Much!!!!!!!

/MM

Hold the bus for a second. After spending a few hours reading about some of EN's capabilities (of which I was 100% ignorant) I'm starting to understand EN's methodology. 

I'm an engineer and researcher by trade and I tend to organize my life spatially (OneNote is setup that way.). But the tagging element within EN seems to make the whole create/tag/find-later task much more smooth and efficient. In reality, the more I tag, the indexing of my data seems to flow naturally from that habit, If I can establish the habit of always creating useful tags. OK, I get it. I'm learning. I'm on a Mac and have the EN application installed and the "Add to Evernote" menu option is VERY helpful. Now I just need to create my tagging in a way that makes sense to me and I get 10 GiB/Month uploads, so...watch out! :) 

Nice work EN, nice work indeed.  

BSR: Thanks for the pointers. 

/MM

On 8/21/2016 at 7:59 PM, MMartinLBK said:

Hold the bus for a second. After spending a few hours reading about some of EN's capabilities (of which I was 100% ignorant) I'm starting to understand EN's methodology. 

I'm an engineer and researcher by trade and I tend to organize my life spatially (OneNote is setup that way.). But the tagging element within EN seems to make the whole create/tag/find-later task much more smooth and efficient. In reality, the more I tag, the indexing of my data seems to flow naturally from that habit, If I can establish the habit of always creating useful tags. OK, I get it. I'm learning. I'm on a Mac and have the EN application installed and the "Add to Evernote" menu option is VERY helpful. Now I just need to create my tagging in a way that makes sense to me and I get 10 GiB/Month uploads, so...watch out! :) 

Nice work EN, nice work indeed.  

BSR: Thanks for the pointers. 

/MM

200.gif

Archived