(Archived) Can't drag file into EN3 to create a link

1) I finally rec'd my beta invitation and happily installed EN3. However, when I try to drag and drop a file from My Documents into a note, nothing happens. I don't get the "Insert Link / Create a new note" popup that I'm used to. I see the "+" icon appear and the insertion point, but nothing gets inserted when I release the mouse button.

2) I've asked for it before, but will do so again. I'd like to see a way to create a link from within a note through a standard "browse" interface rather than having to have My Documents open and doing drag/drop.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

...on other desktop computers you may want to synchronize your data with...

On the other hand, those of us who *may not* want to sync our data on other computers, or who don't mind if links are broken on secondary machines, are screwed.

On the other hand, those of us who *may not* want to sync our data on other computers, or who don't mind if links are broken on secondary machines, are screwed.

Amen to the Grandmistress! :)

I use linking extensively. Occasionally internally, but since I've started using a launcher, I've created links from my launcher into specific notes in EN. If I want the phone number for Adams County, I simply do Cntrl Z, type "adams", don't even have to type the whole word before autocomplete brings up Adams and I hit enter. Every county in the state. My Todo list. My Contacts list. My frequent contacts. All accessible in a couple of seconds through links that no longer exist in EN3. But I can share all that on the internet, if I could think of a reason to do so... :?

Amen to the Grandmistress! :)

I use linking extensively.

As do I, in EverNote Classic (EN 2.2).

Me too. Linking is one of the reasons I decided to use EN in the first place.

I think a sensible solution would be a simple message in the text, when using the database on the Web or a portable device, that a link is not available; then the link could be restored automatically when you are using your desktop computer.

Echo the sentiments here. The beauty of Evernote is its ease of integration with other programs so that it can be the center of your information life. Drag and drop file links is 50% of the value in Evernote. The ability to link to notes as hyperlinks is another feature which isnt in 3.x yet. I love the idea of having access to my data everywhere instead of manually making sure all my computers are synched but in this rush to the cloud concept it seems like much of Evernote's beautiful flexibility is being thrown out.

• 1 month later...

Evernote team:

I also use file links extensively. In fact, one of my notebooks is essentially a knowledge/document management notebook -- wherein I can attach notes, tags, etc to files by creating a note for each one and linking to the file in the note.

[This is the only way I have found to 1) tag documents/articles/papers and associate notes with them and 2) keep the tags and notes synchronized between computers.]

Please don't get rid of drag and drop file links. Make them better, if you can.

thanks,

M.S.

Archived