Text expansion should be usable in tags

RobLewis

Idea

Mac OS has a feature in Keyboard preferences that will replace a character sequence you type with a different one. 

I'm trying to use this to create my own "star tags" since Evernote refuses to add these to the product. For example, I've set the feature to replace "3 star" (without the space) with "★★★".

This works when editing a note's text. But it doesn't work when adding tags, and it should. 

4 replies to this idea

3 hours ago, RobLewis said:

Mac OS has a feature in Keyboard preferences that will replace a character sequence you type with a different one. 

I'm trying to use this to create my own "star tags" since Evernote refuses to add these to the product. For example, I've set the feature to replace "3 star" (without the space) with "★★★".

This works when editing a note's text. But it doesn't work when adding tags, and it should. 

I just tried it and in EN you should be seeing the suggested text replacement just like with auto correct. I was able to just arrow down and the star tags showed up like they should. But you are correct when you just type it in that it doesn't place it automatically which is a pain. 

5 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I just tried it and in EN you should be seeing the suggested text replacement just like with auto correct. I was able to just arrow down and the star tags showed up like they should. But you are correct when you just type it in that it doesn't place it automatically which is a pain. 

Doesn't work for me in the tags field. The stars don't show up as a suggested replacement. 

1 minute ago, RobLewis said:

Doesn't work for me in the tags field. The stars don't show up as a suggested replacement. 

Have you tried putting a space in front of them? I got them all to pop up on the first shot but when I went to add additional ones I had to make sure there was a space in front for it to show. I do agree with you that this would a nice native feature though.

I have the same experience. I created a shortcut for Amazon orders  "enamzord" that expands to "amazon,purchase" . If I type enamzord in the title or body of the note, it works. If I type it in the tag field, it does not work. 

However, if I create the same shortcut in textexpander app, it will work in all 3 locations of the note (tags, title, body )  .

Archived