Notebook - ToC - need assistance

I am trying to create a page similar to the Table of Contents (ToC) feature of Evernote for all notes in a particular Notebook. I know two ways of doing this:

1. Select the relevant notes and hit create ToC
  2. Select the relevant notes, right-click the selection and hit 'Copy note links' and paste and use them in the format I desire

I prefer the second method as I can customise the note links in the order I want. I have noticed that in both cases, Evernote pastes the links in the order by which the first note was created.

For example, say I create 4 Notes in this order with the names - A, B, C, D - if I create a ToC, Evernote will create links like this:

1. D
  2. C
  3. B
  4. A

That is, the most recent note is listed first, followed by the 2nd most recent and so on. There appears to be no option to create a ToC order based on user's selection.

I want to paste links in the order in which I select the notes and not based on time of creation. Is there a workaround for this other than manually selecting and copy pasting each note link one by one or saving notes in reverse order like - D, C, B, A? Having a large number of notes in a particular notebook can make it difficult to try and maintain this order.

Any tip would be greatly appreciated. I am running OSX 10.11.6 and Evernote version 6.8 (Direct).

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, ChiragC said:

That is, the most recent note is listed first, followed by the 2nd most recent and so on. There appears to be no option to create a ToC order based on user's selection.

Doesn't help much, but I think the TOC is in the sort order of the list.  No manual sort option AFAIK, unless you modify the note titles to include the sequence as a prefix and then sort by title, which no doubt deletes the purpose.  Other than that, drag and drop in the TOC note after it is created.

• Level 5*

...and if you create a ToC that has entries in the wrong order,  just cut and paste them into the correct order - still a pain I know,  but less effort than copying the links individually.

15 hours ago, csihilling said:

Other than that, drag and drop in the TOC note after it is created.

I suppose you meant this to be done via split screen feature of Mac OS. I can't figure out how to drag and drop into another note without that feature. But yes, your tip is quite helpful in certain situations. Thank you.

15 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Merge is done in the order in which you select notes, at least in Windows ... not sure about Mac.  It would be nice if TOC creation was handled in the same way.

I am not sure about merge as I wanted to know only about ToC and not merging notes into a single note.

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

...and if you create a ToC that has entries in the wrong order,  just cut and paste them into the correct order - still a pain I know,  but less effort than copying the links individually.

Indeed faster but still a pain.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, ChiragC said:

I am not sure about merge as I wanted to know only about ToC and not merging notes into a single note.

Yes, what you want is not available right now.  I was pointing out that EN already has a way to manually select the order of merged notes and I am hoping that Evernote would implement the same method to set TOC entry order.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, ChiragC said:

I suppose you meant this to be done via split screen feature of Mac OS. I can't figure out how to drag and drop into another note without that feature. But yes, your tip is quite helpful in certain situations. Thank you.

You are welcome.  Actually I meant drag and drop within the note.  If you highlight from the front of a line to the front of the next line (don't highlight any characters in the second line) you can then drag the link to where you want it in the list.  

Archived