View Two Notes at once

ctoohey32

Idea

Recently I have had the need to flip back and forth between 2 different notes at the same to pull some information from another note. Am I missing something and is there any way to view two notes from 2 different note books at the same time? If not this would be a great feature to have. 

21 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, idoc said:

Could you elaborate a little on how you use the desktop evernote on an ipad?  I was able to open it on the ipad but I find that it us unusable ie: I can't scroll up or down on any part of it.  When it opens I can see my notes, tags on the left and my snippets in the middle.  I can also see some notes on the right.  However, I can't scroll down on any of the panes.  So I am seeing a limited view and cannot get to the parts that I'm not seeing.  Am I missing something?

Evernote has not optimized the view using a the web platform on an iPad.  The view is even worse on an iPhone.
This is why Evernote recommends using the IOS app instead of Safari

I can cope with the smaller screen, but it's a struggle
Even though I can't see it, I know there's a scroll bar at the side of the pane.  I can use it to scroll the pane

Another suggestion would be if we could have 1/3 screen views (at same time) of different notes for the iPad. All of these could be the same size as the shortcuts pane and could be expanded and minimized while retaining their respective cursor position. 

On the iPad, Evernote  can already pull up multiple notes at one time via Siri voice shortcuts, so the memory and cpu can handle it. 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, igeret said:

Is it solved in the current version? If so please explain why because I couldn’t find it ?

I'm not seeing any action on Viewing Two Notes At Once

There is a feature request posted at the top of the discussion.  
You're wecome to indicate your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

Using Ipad Air 2,  IOS 11.2 and EN ver 8.9.2, I can only get the split screen method to work if i "SHARE" the note and paste the link into SAFARI.  Otherwise, trying to sign in via Safari in evernote, keeps defaulting to the "Open Evernote" dialog box.  The SHARE link method doesn't allow you to EDIT the shared note, but you can copy info from it to paste in the IOS EN app on the other side of the split screen.

On 1/9/2018 at 10:49 PM, idoc said:

I cant replicate what youve shown. When i try to sign into evernote web on my ipad i get a message saying that ipad does not support evernote web. Ive tried on chrome and safari. I am using ipad 2017 running ios11. I would love to be able to drag files between 2 open notes if possible.

I push and hold the refresh icon in the address bar and it will give me a popup that says request desktop site. That's all I really do. If I need the split screen I just open a second safari tab next to the first one. When I get some time this weekend I'll try and remember to do a screen recording that will probably make more sense than what I just typed.

I cannot scroll at all on any part of this screen.  Furthermore, as I attempt to scroll I am creating unwanted stacks and all sorts of other mayhem.  I can understand why they specifically discourage using the web version on the ipad or iphone.  So much of my EN workflow depends on comparing information in two notes at the same time or dragging items from one note to another.  For example, I will place a pdf in the inbox and then want to move it to another note in another notebook.  On the desktop that would take me a few seconds.  On the ipad it's practically impossible.  It's a shame because when I travel I would prefer to take only my ipad but I'm not able to do any meaningful EN work on it.

On 9/7/2016 at 12:27 AM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

In the app no it's not possible yet. But if you have an iPad Pro (possibly others when iOS 10 is officially released) it is with a workaround. If you open up Evernote in the web browser and then tap and hold the refresh icon you can select "request desktop site". Do that in two tabs and then you can tap and hold one of them and pull it to the right side of the iPad which will open the browser windows in split view.  I work like that all the time when I need to work in Evernote.

If you have an iOS device that supports full split screen you can also open up one tab in the browser like I mentioned before and then slide over and open the app and work that way as well. As soon as I get to my iPad I'll update the post with screenshots.

Keep in mind that I think this will only work on iOS 10 and can't check it on iOS 9 since I've upgraded all our stuff to the newer operating system beta's.

Could you elaborate a little on how you use the desktop evernote on an ipad?  I was able to open it on the ipad but I find that it us unusable ie: I can't scroll up or down on any part of it.  When it opens I can see my notes, tags on the left and my snippets in the middle.  I can also see some notes on the right.  However, I can't scroll down on any of the panes.  So I am seeing a limited view and cannot get to the parts that I'm not seeing.  Am I missing something?

If I could split EN into two windows on my ipad it would significantly help my work flow.  Your method of splitting the desktop app and the EN app is OK but I found it hard to use.  For example, I can't figure out how to scroll through the notes and the snippets.  As I try to use my fingers to scroll down the page I find that I am actually dragging notebooks to other places etc.  I can't even scroll through my snippets.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, idoc said:

When i try to sign into evernote web on my ipad i get a message saying that ipad does not support evernote web. Ive tried on chrome and safari.

You're accessing the mobile web site.

Switch to the desktop site by holding down at the refresh icon at the end of the address line

2AB30BF0-D310-4C67-86B9-635CE33C8E62.thumb.jpeg.a93a55e7ba0ad806126b13adbb2e3fb3.jpeg

On 9/7/2016 at 12:27 AM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

In the app no it's not possible yet. But if you have an iPad Pro (possibly others when iOS 10 is officially released) it is with a workaround. If you open up Evernote in the web browser and then tap and hold the refresh icon you can select "request desktop site". Do that in two tabs and then you can tap and hold one of them and pull it to the right side of the iPad which will open the browser windows in split view.  I work like that all the time when I need to work in Evernote.

If you have an iOS device that supports full split screen you can also open up one tab in the browser like I mentioned before and then slide over and open the app and work that way as well. As soon as I get to my iPad I'll update the post with screenshots.

Keep in mind that I think this will only work on iOS 10 and can't check it on iOS 9 since I've upgraded all our stuff to the newer operating system beta's.

I cant replicate what youve shown. When i try to sign into evernote web on my ipad i get a message saying that ipad does not support evernote web. Ive tried on chrome and safari. I am using ipad 2017 running ios11. I would love to be able to drag files between 2 open notes if possible.

On 8/16/2016 at 5:33 AM, ctoohey32 said:

Recently I have had the need to flip back and forth between 2 different notes at the same to pull some information from another note. Am I missing something and is there any way to view two notes from 2 different note books at the same time? If not this would be a great feature to have. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ctoohey32 said:

That's what I am trying to avoid. My example of this, would be to take notes during a meeting on one note, then have a separate weekly 'to-do' note open and add items that I need to do while taking meeting notes. Something like the multitasking feature would be great

Don't know that it is avoidable at this point.  Yeah, opening a note in its own "window" on IOS would come in handy.

That's what I am trying to avoid. My example of this, would be to take notes during a meeting on one note, then have a separate weekly 'to-do' note open and add items that I need to do while taking meeting notes. Something like the multitasking feature would be great

Archived