Add quick note from notification bar on Android phone?

I am new to Evernote. When I select "Explore Evernote" in the left menu, the first item that comes up on the screen says "There's a quicker way. Capture your thoughts without launching the app." Then it has what looks like should be an active link that says "Turn on Quick Notes." But when I tap it, nothing happens. The illustration associated with it looks like someone is able to swipe down from the notification bar to add a note to the default notebook without opening the app. (See screenshot) I REALLY want this to be true because I would like to switch to Evernote from Wunderlist, but I love this quick add feature in Wunderlist and don't want to be without it. What am I doing wrong that I can't enable quick notes like it seems I should be able to?

Screenshot_2016-08-14-12-15-21.png

Hello @Amy Smith,

Thank you for posting. Let's try the following:

- Open Evernote for Android
- Tap on the three dots in the top right corner
- Select Settings > Notifications > Add notes from notification bar*
- Tap on the back button and then exit the Evernote application
- Pull down the notification bar and then see if the option appears

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if it still doesn't appear.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, that didn't work because the only options I have under settings/notifications are for "work chat."  "Add notes from notification bar" is not anywhere to be found. :-( I have Wunderlist installed which uses this feature. Perhaps they cannot both be active at the same time? I really don't want to uninstall Wunderlist before I decide which app to continue using. Hopefully this makes sense.

• Level 5

Same here. This sounds like it would be a great feature. But in v. 7.9.3 (which I think is the latest publicly available release), my experience is the same as Amy's. "Explore Evernote" has the "There's a faster way" blurb, but tapping "Turn on Quick Notes" does nothing. In Settings > Notifications, I have options to turn on/off In-app chat notifications, Chat notification sound, and Chat notification vibration--presumably all related to Work Chat. @Matt W., is this a beta feature, or in a version not yet fully rolled out?

• Level 5

UPDATE: @Matt W., @gazumped, version 7.9.4 is now available on Google Play, and when I installed it this feature was now present and functional. @Amy Smith and others, check it out and see if it works for you. It really is tremendously convenient. The quick notes can be written even if the Evernote app isn't running; they are saved, of course, to the default notebook.

Bonus for Samsung device users: S Pen is fully functional in these quick notes! (It isn't in ordinary text notes.)

Hello all,

The update for 7.9.4 is in the process of being rolled out through the Google Play Store, which will allow you to add the quick notes feature to your notification bar. If you run into any troubles, please let me know.

• 3 months later...

I have a Galaxy S6 Edge and can't get the "Swipe down to write a note quickly" function. I have switched on the "Add Notes to Notification bar" but nothing appears when I pull down. I have version 7.9.7 of Evernote. Any help appreciated.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, BMcG said:

I have a Galaxy S6 Edge and can't get the "Swipe down to write a note quickly" function. I have switched on the "Add Notes to Notification bar" but nothing appears when I pull down. I have version 7.9.7 of Evernote. Any help appreciated.

Have you restarted your phone?

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, skysi said:

This feature seems to be a huge battery hog. I turned it off.

Well, I suppose it depends on what you want to use your battery for, and how often you're able to recharge. I decided awhile back that I like a pretty, animated wallpaper on my phone. It sucks juice like a chimp in an orange grove, but I don't mind, because it feels worthwhile to me. Likewise--for my purposes, preferences, and circumstances--having that note-creator handy (especially for its ability to access the full clipboard!) is worth whatever battery draw it causes. But I'm fortunate to work from home and be able to recharge pretty much at will.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/11/2016 at 9:49 AM, BMcG said:

On my Galaxy Note 8: Swiping down presents almost a full screen of Notifications. I will only see the 'Add note' option after I Swipe back Up from within the listing of Notations, but not so if I Swipe back Up from the bottom edge of the list. Doing that will simply close the list.

• 3 weeks later...

Old topic, new post. As far as I can tell the Quick Note feature was added to Version 7.5 beta 2 (1075020) but dropped in subsequent versions before 7.9.x. This version is available at the Up to Down website if anyone needs or prefers to use an older version of EN that also has the Quick Note feature.

Steve A.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, sssteeve said:

Old topic, new post. As far as I can tell the Quick Note feature was added to Version 7.5 beta 2 (1075020) but dropped in subsequent versions before 7.9.x. This version is available at the Up to Down website if anyone needs or prefers to use an older version of EN that also has the Quick Note feature.

Steve A.

I'm on 7.17.1 (the current version), and it's working fine.

9 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I deleted the details to keep my earlier post brief. I prefer to use my circa 2014 Samsung Tab 4 7.0 running KitKat for Evernote compositions... it fits in my hand perfectly and has the Samsung expanded clipboard which holds the 20 most recent clips, great for compiling quotes and links. It works in Evernote up to version 7.9 but in none of the versions after that. So for me version 7.5 beta 2 is the perfect compromise as it has the Quick Notes.

Version 7.17 does run great on my 2014 Samsung (kudos to EN for supporting older devices!) but I lose the expanded clipboard feature which has always had inconsistent support (it will work in the Chrome URL/Search bar but not in the lower search bar or at most websites - and is hit or miss with most apps.) So for me it's actually a big plus that it works in the older versions of EN more than a minus that it doesn't work in the newer versions which unfortunately is par for the course.

I did read in a different thread here that the Samsung expanded keyboard is supported in the Quick Notes.

Thanks

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 4:38 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks for the heads up! I thought that 7.17 was the current version and had been running it on a newly acquired ASUS ZenPad S8 Z380M running Nougat. I found some major problems with it that have been corrected in 7.17.1, like the oversized fonts when cutting and pasting within an EN document and having URLs be live links while editing. I was starting to look for an older version that did not have those problems which would have been a waste of time because 7.17.1 is really slick.

• Level 5

Good, glad 7.17.1 is working for you! I still find it has font issues when pasting (undersized rather than oversized for me), even when pasting as plain text, which Android 8 Oreo now allows. It's interesting that the pasting issue is resolved on your device. But at any rate, dragging and dropping text has been restored, and that's a treat!

Archived