Maddhin

(Internal) Link to Notebook

Idea

Hi,

I know I can share notebooks but for some reason I cannot get a internal link to a notebook which I could use in notes to jump to a specific notebook. If I work with the "share notebook" link, it opens the browser and opens the notebook there.

Doesn't have Evernote the option to link a notebook internally analog to links to notes which can be public (http://...) or internal (evernote://view/...)?

Did anybody figure this out? Would be SUPER helpful! THANKS!!

32 replies to this idea

the things is that jumping to a TOC master note would probably be sufficient if not the best for me. But at the moment - afaik - the (automatically generated) TOC notes do not update themselves automatically (for a reason!).

I'm working on different projects and "dump" every day notes into the project notebooks. Therefore a TOC is almost always outdated and in order to keep it updated, I'd have to generate a new TOC note which renders the "link to the TOC master note" useless and I would have to update that link with the new TOC note -> impractical. Hence the request to link the notebook per se as that link wouldn't change.

it is actually "funny" as Evernote can link to a notebook through the shortcut function. If one could link to a shortcut, the problem would be solved...

But technically, an automatically updating TOC note would also be a great feature solving this - I'd love to have this anyway to get a quick overview and access to the note in the notebook.

On 17.7.2017 at 2:00 AM, csihilling said:

One issue to consider with your scenario would be that if you are changing notebooks often you might end up with dead links in your notes, should EN ever add notebook links.  Not the worst thing in the world for sure, but could be an annoyance..

Yeah, some of what we do here on the forums is to present workarounds for functionality not in EN, whether it may ever be added or not.  Some times it helps and some times not so much.  Anyway, an alternative would be to use autotext to kick off a more specific PE phrase.  The phrase above could be changed to the below and be triggered whenever jnqui<space> is keyed (jump notebook quick, an arbitrary standard just created).  PE removes the jnqui from wherever it is typed and transfer to the Quick notebook ensues.  

{#CTRL {#ALT -chars f}}{#alt {#SHIFT -chars n}}{#sleep 3}{#NONE -chars quick}{#sleep 3}{#ENTER}

Replace Quick with whatever other notebook name and give it its own text hot key.  Not saying this a particularly elegant solution, but it will do the job pending if you don't mind type 5 or 6 characters to jump to a notebook.  FWIW.

the notebooks per se are not changing but the notebooks I am working with are changing. I do have a stack for "active project" notebooks, which is useful but refering/jumping to those notebooks (ideally also out of other applications/documents with a weblink) would be super in creating workflows and cross-references. E.g. one could jump from a to-do-app item to the EN notebook with one click. Of course, this works with a note already but the task is not necessarily related to an individual note etc. Plus, the note might be revised or deleted over time but I do keep the notebooks in an archive stack.

I guess "the problem" is I'm using EN a bit similar to a "Windows Explorer" kind of logic. For me this is the most efficient as I put a lot of material into EN every day and tagging has the problem that I do not have an overview of different projects, etc. I actually do tag notes in the notebooks but the main problem with that is that I need to remember all the tags I used.

There are good tagging systems out there but call me old fashioned: clicking that notebook and scrolling through works very well for me rather than going to search and search for all project notes with a tag;) I guess I am using EN very actively/dynamically and not only as an archive only sort of thing.

But the hot key solution is definetely good for the notebooks most often used! Thanks!

6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I don't know whether there are any technical issues with creating a shortcut to notebooks,  but the practical concerns would be along the same lines as adding eye color to George Washington on Mt Rushmore.  A small amount of effort and very limited skills required for the actual job,  but the preparation work and the access could be a monster,  and the actual benefit (for Evernote) once it's done?....

hm, I do not see the point as

1. such link already exist in two forms: 1. shortcut/favourite bar link (for all i know this might be just a saved search which would be even more useful!) and 2. shared notebooks

2. I don't see how this will be a bigger monster than sharing(!!!) notebooks and notes - I actually only want to share the notebook with myself...

3. it would benefit users... If sharing notebooks with people makes sense, why "denying" this option to "single users" who want to use such links internally?

:)

• Like 1

@gazumped Let's not heat up this discussion - "denying" was provocative wording, sure, but I think I never ordered EN to do anything. Certainly, I did not mean to do so or imply EN has to do something.

I'm making the case for links to notebooks but that doesn't mean EN needs to react on this. Of course and undeniably, there is a lot of work involved and all users are grateful what the EN team does. But I think those two points are a given for any feature request post. But, you are certainly right: the EN team doesn't get enough credit in such forums.

But thanks to your post I had an idea: couldn't one "abuse" a notebook-sharing link for using the link internally? :)

8 hours ago, Maddhin said:

Doesn't have Evernote the option to link a notebook internally analog to links to notes which can be public (http://...) or internal (evernote://view/...)?

There is no link feature to notebooks that can be used within notes.
The only link I know of is the note url.
Also of interest would be a link to a saved search.

I have notebooks for certain projects and want to jump/link/refer to those notebooks. E.g. in a "active projects" note/list.

The idea with the ToC is good and I thought about that before and that would be super IF the ToC would be dynamic or at least easy to update. But in the current setting, the ToC is outdateed as soon as I add a new note to the notebook.

I was also thinking about using tags and saved search. I do this for certain things such but for this particular task, I'd have to tag all notes for the project (which would be ok) but then I also could not add a saved-search-link into a note. Or?

I'd like the ability to create a hyperlink to a notebook too — for the ability to have notebook links outside Evernote itself. (Right now I'd like to have one-click access to my Evernote "_Inbox" notebook from within OmniFocus, but I'd have plenty of other uses for this as well.)

On 13/01/2017 at 0:05 AM, eurobubba said:

I'd like the ability to create a hyperlink to a notebook too — for the ability to have notebook links outside Evernote itself. (Right now I'd like to have one-click access to my Evernote "_Inbox" notebook from within OmniFocus, but I'd have plenty of other uses for this as well.)

Best we can offer at the moment is to link to a 'master' note in the notebook and go from there - but to open the notebook you need to open Evernote so that's a cart:horse situation.  What would you want to see after you click on your 'notebook' link?  A list of notes?

Wonder if you could do this with a text expander like PhraseExpress.  Once you got EN started it would be fairly simple to simulate a shortcut search.  How would one start EN with a text expander?  Never tried that one since I always have EN open.

Thought I would give this a try.  Steps I followed to create a link to my Inbox note book were:

1. Find ENScript.exe and send a shortcut to the desktop, C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe on my system.
  2. Right click and then Properties on the newly created desktop shortcut.
  3. Go to the Shortcut tab and modify the target field to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" shownotes /q notebook:inbox, change inbox to the notebook of choice.
  4. Go to the Security tab and copy the Object name field.
  5. Create a link using the copied field wherever it is you want.

Seems to work well from the desktop shortcut and a link within a Word Document, the only two tests I ran.  Not sure about OmniFocus and the like.  FWIW.

• Like 1

Moving to feature request subforum. Vote, people!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Done.  ;)

As in what is done????  Dinner?  ?

I voted already...  (partly to check whether the button actually works,  but hey...  -It does,  by the way.)

• Like 1

On 1/13/2017 at 6:17 PM, gazumped said:

Best we can offer at the moment is to link to a 'master' note in the notebook and go from there - but to open the notebook you need to open Evernote so that's a cart:horse situation.  What would you want to see after you click on your 'notebook' link?  A list of notes?

Yes, basically the same view I get after double-clicking a notebook in the list of notebooks. (In case it's not clear, I'd want this in the desktop app, not the web interface.)

Hi guys, this is an old thread but just to ask if anybody has been successful with any attempt to solve this? :)

I see... but thanks for the update - although I don't quite understand why I can have a shortcut to a notebook but not a link to a notebook :blink:

@csihilling Thanks, this is a great tipp! I will consider this to quickly jump to my inbox, etc.but my notebooks are changing often and I would need a dynamic link. Furthermore, I'd have to create 10++ links to notebooks - and I would have to remember the keyboard shortcut for each and have to maintain the links -> very troublesome in my scenario. My scenario is actually exactly the opposite of yours as I have a lot of notebooks (one day I start tagging!) and want to use the links to 'navigate' more efficiently (e.g. out of a 'active projects overview' note).

21 hours ago, csihilling said:

Here's a PhraseExpress phrase that works.  It would need to be modified based upon where the notebook appears in your list.

Could the script work with the Search box instead?

The link text could be      notebook:aaaaaaaa

The manual process on my Mac is

1. Copy the link text (double click, command C)
  2. Switch to the search box (control command E)
  3. Paste the link text (command V)

12 hours ago, DTLow said:

Could the script work with the Search box instead?

The link text could be      notebook:aaaaaaaa

The manual process on my Mac is

1. Copy the link text (double click, command C)
  2. Switch to the search box (control command E)
  3. Paste the link text (command V)

It could for sure.  I prefer using the notebook drop down so as not to have notebook:notebookname remaining in the search box.  Call me OCD....  ;)  

It would look something like:

{#CTRL {#ALT -chars f}}{#sleep 3}{#NONE -chars notebook:quick}{#ENTER}

14 minutes ago, Maddhin said:

the notebooks per se are not changing but the notebooks I am working with are changing. I do have a stack for "active project" notebooks, which is useful but refering/jumping to those notebooks (ideally also out of other applications/documents with a weblink) would be super in creating workflows and cross-references. E.g. one could jump from a to-do-app item to the EN notebook with one click. Of course, this works with a note already but the task is not necessarily related to an individual note etc. Plus, the note might be revised or deleted over time but I do keep the notebooks in an archive stack.

I guess "the problem" is I'm using EN a bit similar to a "Windows Explorer" kind of logic. For me this is the most efficient as I put a lot of material into EN every day and tagging has the problem that I do not have an overview of different projects, etc. I actually do tag notes in the notebooks but the main problem with that is that I need to remember all the tags I used.

There are good tagging systems out there but call me old fashioned: clicking that notebook and scrolling through works very well for me rather than going to search and search for all project notes with a tag;) I guess I am using EN very actively/dynamically and not only as an archive only sort of thing.

But the hot key solution is definetely good for the notebooks most often used! Thanks!

Got it, I think.  EN has neither a notebook jump link nor a deeply nested notebook structure.  So you can only get in the neighborhood of what you want with workarounds, unfortunately.

One project solution that has been discussed before is to create a project tag for each project with a prefix of period, .Project.  Then put those projects in a multi layer tag hierarchy, just like Windows Explorer, with the root being the parent of !Projects so as to float to the top of the tag tree.  One can then find projects through tag selection, Ctrl-Alt-T or by navigating the tag tree.  And not too many other tags.  Same sort of PE hotkeying for project jumps.  Lots of luck, hope you find something that fits your eye..  :)

@csihilling thanks a bunch - I'm actually ok with notebooks and stacks (I'm adding some hierachy by naming the notebooks) - and sooner or later I'll also figure out on how to integrate EN notebooks into other apps.

Frankly, the only thing that "annoys" me a bit is that EN has the ability of those links - as you can put the notebook in favourites and it jumps right to the notebook - but no way to utilize it outside the favourite bar;) 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2016 at 1:09 AM, Maddhin said:

Hi,

Did anybody figure this out? Would be SUPER helpful! THANKS!!

Hi, @Maddhin and @Evernote.

We can add a Notebook to our  Shortcuts (at least I just did on my iPhone), so how is that done behind the scenes...? Wouldn't it be possible for Evernote to make that process available to us to use within notes? 

• Like 1

On 14/08/2016 at 7:09 AM, Maddhin said:

Agreed there's no link feature,  but can you explain the need a little further? 

The one workaround I could suggest is to create a ToC note for all the notes in that notebook and link to the ToC

As regards why... adding notes to notebooks is easy from the add note process - just choose the notebook in the note header.  Editing notes is easy,  just use search and keywords.  Why go to a specific notebook?

4 hours ago, Maddhin said:

I have notebooks for certain projects and want to jump/link/refer to those notebooks. E.g. in a "active projects" note/list.

You could put those project notebooks into a stack.
The stack could be added to your shortcutsScreen Shot 2016-08-22 at 4.26.34 AM.png

I use a tag solution

• Each project has a master project note, tagged with !Project   
    and I use a project tag to link project notes, for example !Project: Genealogy

• A shortcut search lists all these master notes (tag:"!Project" -Tag:!Archive)
    Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 4.44.59 AM.png

• Click on the master project note, and you have a link to all the notes of the project

Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 4.27.54 AM.png

8 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Wonder if you could do this with a text expander like PhraseExpress.  Once you got EN started it would be fairly simple to simulate a shortcut search.  How would one start EN with a text expander?  Never tried that one since I always have EN open.

To expand on this, you could do this with scripting
Applescript on Macs
ENScript on Windows (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enscript.php)

On 2017-07-13 at 오후 10시 32분, Maddhin said:

Hi guys, this is an old thread but just to ask if anybody has been successful with any attempt to solve this? :)

No solution within Evernote
I continue to make use of the shortcuts feature

An alternative is looking at scripting to provide a faster shortcut
I have Applescript on my Mac, and there are keyboard macro apps such as Keyboard Maestro
My script uses the search feature with "notebook:aaaaaaaaaaaaa"

10 hours ago, Maddhin said:

I see... but thanks for the update - although I don't quite understand why I can have a shortcut to a notebook but not a link to a notebook :blink:

Because EN doesn't support a link to a notebook, you have to create your own shortcut.  

Here's a PhraseExpress phrase that works.  It would need to be modified based upon where the notebook appears in your list.  If a notebook was added/deleted above the notebook in the list, the phrase would need to be modified.  Easy enough for me if I wanted this functionality since I don't use many notebooks nor do I add any..  I set Ctrl-Alt-0 as the hotkey for this test.  

But you do have to do it yourself.  ;)

• {#CTRL {#ALT -chars f}}{#ALT {#SHIFT -chars n}}{#DOWN -count 6}{#ENTER}
  •               Find All                                Jump to notebook list               To notebook                Go

ScreenClip.png.2921394e1e7323d90b683db9ad9c27eb.png

13 hours ago, Maddhin said:

@csihilling Thanks, this is a great tipp! I will consider this to quickly jump to my inbox, etc.but my notebooks are changing often and I would need a dynamic link. Furthermore, I'd have to create 10++ links to notebooks - and I would have to remember the keyboard shortcut for each and have to maintain the links -> very troublesome in my scenario. My scenario is actually exactly the opposite of yours as I have a lot of notebooks (one day I start tagging!) and want to use the links to 'navigate' more efficiently (e.g. out of a 'active projects overview' note).

One issue to consider with your scenario would be that if you are changing notebooks often you might end up with dead links in your notes, should EN ever add notebook links.  Not the worst thing in the world for sure, but could be an annoyance..

Yeah, some of what we do here on the forums is to present workarounds for functionality not in EN, whether it may ever be added or not.  Some times it helps and some times not so much.  Anyway, an alternative would be to use autotext to kick off a more specific PE phrase.  The phrase above could be changed to the below and be triggered whenever jnqui<space> is keyed (jump notebook quick, an arbitrary standard just created).  PE removes the jnqui from wherever it is typed and transfer to the Quick notebook ensues.  

{#CTRL {#ALT -chars f}}{#alt {#SHIFT -chars n}}{#sleep 3}{#NONE -chars quick}{#sleep 3}{#ENTER}

Replace Quick with whatever other notebook name and give it its own text hot key.  Not saying this a particularly elegant solution, but it will do the job pending if you don't mind type 5 or 6 characters to jump to a notebook.  FWIW.

4 hours ago, DebiB said:

Hi, @Maddhin and @Evernote.

We can add a Notebook to our  Shortcuts (at least I just did on my iPhone), so how is that done behind the scenes...? Wouldn't it be possible for Evernote to make that process available to us to use within notes? 

I don't know whether there are any technical issues with creating a shortcut to notebooks,  but the practical concerns would be along the same lines as adding eye color to George Washington on Mt Rushmore.  A small amount of effort and very limited skills required for the actual job,  but the preparation work and the access could be a monster,  and the actual benefit (for Evernote) once it's done?....

Evernote isn't "denying" anything - they just haven't gotten around to doing this yet.  If it was easy,  it probably would have been done - but Evernote for Windows is 20MB of code in which you need to insert the right extra line or lines to make this happen.  Then you need to do the same for Mac / Android and iOS...  and not break the existing features in the process. 

Not saying they couldn't or shouldn't do it,  just pointing out there's some work involved.  And judging by this thread a whole '1' user is waiting breathlessly for this to happen...  not much incentive for them to prioritize this feature above the thousands of other essential tweaks and bug fixes others have asked for.

Additional votes (click at top left of the page) may help to move it up the list... :)