Search tags end with "X"

Hello!

I try to use tags hierarchy because Evernote doesn't support multilevel notepads (only 2 levels supported).

I have tags hierarchy:

• travel
  • thailand_travel
    • sights_thailand_travel
    • rent_thailand_travel
  • india_travel
    • sights_india_travel
    • rent_india_travel

I have to use suffixes like "_thailand_travel" to avoid duplicate tags in india_travel and thailand_travel.

I want to find all notes marked with thailand_travel (with subtags). How to do it?

I read "How to use Evernote's advanced search syntax" and tried tag:"*_thailand_travel" and tag:*_thailand_travel. Both don't work.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, aleks12578845 said:

I try to use tags hierarchy because Evernote doesn't support multilevel notepads (only 2 levels supported).

I have tags hierarchy:

• travel
  • thailand_travel
    • sights_thailand_travel
    • rent_thailand_travel
  • india_travel
    • sights_india_travel
    • rent_india_travel

I have to use suffixes like "_thailand_travel" to avoid duplicate tags in india_travel and thailand_travel.

I want to find all notes marked with thailand_travel (with subtags). How to do it?

I read "How to use Evernote's advanced search syntax" and tried tag:"*_thailand_travel" and tag:*_thailand_travel. Both don't work.

Try using prefixes instead of suffixes, for example search tag:"thailand_travel_*"

• travel
  • thailand_travel
    • thailand_travel_sights
    • thailand_travel_rent

You could also use separate tags, for example tag:thailand  and tag:travel_sights

I have a problem with extended tagnames.  In different views/platforms, the tagname gets truncated.  I would end up with multiple choices saying thailand_t

• Level 5*

To make the hierarchy work, you need to reverse *all* of the tag names:

• travel
  • travel_thailand
    • travel_thailand_sights
    • travelthailand_rent
  • travel_india
    • travel_india_sights
    • travel_india_rent

Conversely, you could just make single tags, as DTLow suggests: "travel", "India", "Thailand", "sights", "rent". In the long run, you'll need far fewer tags for this kind of system and it will probably be more flexible too, but you won't have a tag tree hierarchy to navigate via point and click either. I opt for the former approach. 

• Level 5*

I would opt for a parent tag of Travel, with a child tag per country and the additional child tags of Sights and Rent (plus whatever other "shared" tags you use).  I would not add Travel to any of the notes, just the country and whichever other tags.  Then a search for tag:Thailand returns all Thailand notes and you can and add tag:sights to the search to refine to Thailand sights notes.  Side benefit to this is if you take a trip across countries, you can add a trip tag (eg, 2016.09.01 Asia) to the appropriate notes and a search will return the sights you have selected for the trip.  All you have to do for a new location is add the location as a child to the Travel tag.  

I believe there is more flexibility with tags, but you do lose the hierarchy and have to rely on the searches to make this work.  A lot of personal preference in whatever method you use.  FWIW. 

Archived