Text in Pictures not searched by Spotlight

Mark Levison

Idea

One of the few things that is keeping me tied to Evernote (and Evernote Premium) - the ability to search text inside of images. Any time I make a payment or get a cheque I take a picture with Skitch or my phone camera. When my bookkeeper has questions about what an item is I just turn to Spotlight and search on the amount. Only that doesn't seem to work with text in images. So now I have awkward clunky process. Search Spotlight and if not found search Evernote. Ugh.

My Evernote version is current and it was downloaded directly from the Evernote site so this isn't a AppStore sandboxing problem.

Is this preference problem (I hope), a bug (my thinking) or a feature request (my fear).

I already noted last month in the long thread on pricing - Evernote is already on trial for me. This is another small annoyance that is making it harder to stick with Evernote.

Cheers

Mark

5 replies to this idea

Hi @Mark Levison,

I have moved this to the Product Feedback thread as this is not currently a function of Evernote for Mac. If there is any text in the note with the image attached, the Spotlight search will bring up the note. If the text is part of the image or you are searching for annotations made to the image, those will not be searchable in Spotlight. I hope that helps.

Ughh - This is basically saying that one of the key reasons I pay for premium doesn't work. I pay for premium so that pictures and pdfs I add to evernote are searchable. On a Mac that means found through spotlight. At this stage I'm thinking that importing pdfs and images into Evernote was perhaps a mistake. Playing around my wife's Windows machine OneNote makes this somewhat easier. Please help want to stay as a premium user. By the time my next renewal rolls around I may just have moved :-(

Grumpy in Ottawa

Mark

On 8/14/2016 at 1:43 PM, Mark Levison said:

Ughh - This is basically saying that one of the key reasons I pay for premium doesn't work. I pay for premium so that pictures and pdfs I add to evernote are searchable. On a Mac that means found through spotlight. At this stage I'm thinking that importing pdfs and images into Evernote was perhaps a mistake. Playing around my wife's Windows machine OneNote makes this somewhat easier. Please help want to stay as a premium user. By the time my next renewal rolls around I may just have moved :-(

Grumpy in Ottawa

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have gotten confirmation from our development team that this is indeed by design. Wish I had some better news to give you. 

However, I recommend for anyone else who would like to see this implemented to up-vote this idea using the 'up arrow at the top of the post so our devs know how many of our users want this feature in the Mac version of Evernote.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Archived