Image Size Optimization

Gauthier

Hello,

I often take screenshots on my Mac that I directly copy within Evernote.

Nevertheless, the resolution and the size of these screenshots is bigger than what I need. The size could be lower, and the quality the same.

Is there a way to optimize the picture size, when I copy one into Evernote ? I know I can change the size in another software before importing it into Evernote, but it takes ages to do it over and over again. 

(I'm a Premium member, but this is annoying when I want to export what I saved into Evernote later on. For example, when I export a screenshot to Anki that I previously saved into Evernote, the size is way too big)

Thank you for your ideas

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Gauthier said:

Hello,

I often take screenshots on my Mac that I directly copy within Evernote.

Nevertheless, the resolution and the size of these screenshots is bigger than what I need. The size could be lower, and the quality the same.

Is there a way to optimize the picture size, when I copy one into Evernote ? I know I can change the size in another software before importing it into Evernote, but it takes ages to do it over and over again. 

(I'm a Premium member, but this is annoying when I want to export what I saved into Evernote later on. For example, when I export a screenshot to Anki that I previously saved into Evernote, the size is way too big)

Thank you for your ideas

Sorry, resizing pictures is not an EN feature

You have to use third party software.

You might try looking at scripting the process to make it easier. 

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I don't know anything about scripting, do you have a guide or something where I could start ? How can I use this ? (I imagine this as something that would perform all the steps for me automatically) 

I'm a bit surprised that Evernote does not propose this option tough, since I guess this would "free" some bandwidth on their servers.   

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Gauthier said:

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I don't know anything about scripting, do you have a guide or something where I could start ? How can I use this ? (I imagine this as something that would perform all the steps for me automatically) 

I'm a bit surprised that Evernote does not propose this option tough, since I guess this would "free" some bandwidth on their servers.   

I'll get back to you on this; I have to think about how to actually do it.

The problem with doing this within Evernote is that when you add the picture, it gets syncd

Then you resize the picture, and it gets syncd again.

You're using up your transmission allowance.

Indeed. Thanks if you can help.

Something that could be useful: thanks to Dropbox, a JPEG file is automatically created every time i take a screenshot. 

If a script could, let's say, resize the last file within my screenshot folder, then copy it to my clipboard, I guess it could work. I could then just paste the screenshot I just took within Evernote.

But again, I don't know how scripting works, and this sounds like some kind of astonishing dark magic for me right now.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Gauthier said:

Here's what I came up with, a script to resize your picture

It requires the filepath be stored in the clipboard
(I believe your Dropbox interface does this)

I didn't address copying into the clipboard, but I believe this would require adding a step to use application Preview or Finder 

tell application "Image Events"                  Untitled.scpt

set thisImage to ""

set imagePath to the clipboard

set thisImage to open imagePath

scale thisImage to size 1080

save thisImage in imagePath

close thisImage

end tell

• 7 months later...
On 11-8-2016 at 6:29 AM, DTLow said:

Here's what I came up with, a script to resize your picture

It requires the filepath be stored in the clipboard
(I believe your Dropbox interface does this)

I didn't address copying into the clipboard, but I believe this would require adding a step to use application Preview or Finder 

tell application "Image Events"                  Untitled.scpt

set thisImage to ""

set imagePath to the clipboard

set thisImage to open imagePath

scale thisImage to size 1080

save thisImage in imagePath

close thisImage

end tell

Thanks for trying to help here. Nevertheless I've never used a script before, so when I see your answer, I have absolutely no idea how to use this thing. 

I guess I need to read webpages about how scripting works, but I have no idea where to start.

I bet you're using retina screen. I have the same problem and it's really annoying.

I don't know if this keeps happening in the newest version. But version 6.7.1 works just fine.

I'm unwilling to update to newer version now, because of this issue.

If this issue has been fixed, please let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

I can confirm the problem. So far, this is the most annoying problem for me since I paste a lot of images.

I am looking for any 3rd party solution to automatically resizing pasted images correctly.

Archived