Very technical: scrollbar in lists of notes

• Level 5

This seems extraordinarily technical, but I'm really curious about it. Ever since my phone updated to Android 6, I've lost the ability to use the scrollbar in almost every app. Scrollbars show up as gray lines on the right side of the screen in scrollable pages. But they don't work anymore. In most apps, I used to be able to grab them with my S-Pen or finger and they'd turn blue and let me scroll rapidly down or up. After the update to Android 6, nothing happens at all. So far, only one app (which hasn't been updated in awhile) has a functioning scrollbar. And now, I discover, so do certain places in the Evernote app!

Specifically, I get functioning scrollbars (green, not blue) in the list of All Notes; in a list of notes within a notebook; and in the Trash list (which of course is also a list of notes). Not in the list of notebooks, and not when editing a note, just in lists of notes. I also notice that the gray bars, before grabbing, are thicker in note lists than in other areas.

I've posted about the loss of scrollbar functionality in a couple of Android-related forums elsewhere, and apparently I'm the only one on the planet experiencing this. So, particularly for Android 6 users: Do you have functioning scrollbars everywhere in Evernote, or only in lists of notes? And for any Evernote staff with absolutely nothing better to do, what is the difference between the way scrollbars work in notes lists and elsewhere? Not that knowing this will get me anywhere; the whole thing is just bugging me.

• Level 5*

Hi @Dave-in-Decatur - you're right; it's just you...  Don't know how I could illustrate this without a video camera,  but all my screens do have a scroll bar once they're touched. I'm on Android 6.0.1

Until a finger or stylus touches the screen,  all you can see is the content.  As soon as you touch,  there's a bar.  The width seems to vary from ridiculously thin to just about usable,  depending on the app / Evernote screen I'm looking at.  I find that I get around on screen by swiping the content rather than using the bar,  and it seems to be faster to swipe 'energetically' up or down and press the screen to stop it scrolling than it would be to scroll carefully in either direction.

Maybe Android is trying to deprecate scroll bars?

• Level 5

Thanks, @gazumped. I feel so lonely. :rolleyes: I suspect it's a combination of Samsung and the U.S. wireless provider Verizon, both of whom must put their mark on the OS before it comes to the little ol' user. But just to be perfectly clear, the scrollbars you see, everywhere in EN and in other apps too, do actually work?

Of course, I can swipe the screen content up and down; and the Samsung S-Pen that comes with the Note 4 Edge can, in some screens, be pointed at the top or bottom of the screen and cause it to scroll. But for some reason I find scrollbars faster than the former and easier on the eyes than the latter (cool as it is).

• Level 5*

Fair point - the scroll bars don't actually work some (most?) of the time - they seem to be more a placemarker than a usable asset.  Although they appear when you touch the screen,  they mainly disappear before you can actually get a finger onto the slider.

Archived