Desktop application will not complete loading

My Desktop application will start loading when launched and then not complete. It needs a force quit. 

Once this happens only a reinstall seems to correct it - but that only fixes the problem for a small number of launches. 
I have been having this problem for months and I have lost count of the number of times I have deleted and reinstalled.

Some other threads have suggested it may be an issue with 2 factor authentication on my account. I will test that by disabling it temporarily. 

But if 2FA is causing the problem disabling it is not a fix. I have a lot of work (more than 10 years) in my EN and it is not acceptable to me to have a service that is accessible through a web browser that does not support 2FA.

This is now getting to the point where I considering closing my (premium) account and going elsewhere. EN is one of my always open services when I am working. This bug is making the service untenable for me.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, rjp said:

My Desktop application will start loading when launched and then not complete. It needs a force quit. 

Once this happens only a reinstall seems to correct it - but that only fixes the problem for a small number of launches. 
I have been having this problem for months and I have lost count of the number of times I have deleted and reinstalled.

Have you tried a clean reinstall?  See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

If that does not fix the issue, then I would definitely submit a format bug report.  Since you have Premium account, you are entitled to full support.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

• 1 month later...

rjp, have you had any progress with this issue? I'm getting the same thing, I believe: I force quit Evernote yesterday because what should have been a routine sync had been in process for an hour or so, and while the list of notes in the sidebar was visible, I couldn't actually view any notes. Now I've opened the app again and I seem to be stuck in the same stage - syncing for around 30 minutes and counting, with no notes visible. I believe this has happened to me once before, and I wound up deleting and reinstalling the app and rebuilding the database (which, at around 30GB, sure takes some time!).

Evernote works great on a new iPad Pro and iPhone SE. I suspect the problems with the desktop app may be related to the increasing creakiness and age of my late 2009 iMac, but I'm not sure about that.

EDIT: OK, so the 3rd time I opened the app this morning it worked fine. Twice it just synced forever, no notes actually visible, and I force quit; 3rd time it seemed to work.

Archived