Math Equation Editor

• Level 5*

@MathWA - short answer is: you don't.  Two obvious options..  create an ink note and handwrite your equations,  then link to that note from your main text or merge the two notes together.  Or,  you could handwrite the text on paper and attach a photograph to the main text in the appropriate place(s).

• 1 year later...

Just discovered this so I thought I would Share.

If you use MathType (http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/) which is quite affordable and very useful for scientific writing then there is an option that I have discovered (Im using V6.7h). If you go to MathType->preferences->cut and copy preferences there is a radio button to select "Equation for application or website". You can then select Evernote form the dropdown list.

Once you have done this you can write your equations in MathType then highlight it (or CMD-C / CTRL-C) then go to Evernote and past it (CMD-V /CTRL-V).

Voila - beautiful equations in Evernote.

Ps : Turns out you can paste the equation straight into this website as well !!

e.g.:

{J_y} = 2\left( {\frac{{\cos {\theta _i}{E_{\phi i}}}}{{{Z_0}}}} \right){e^{j\beta h}}

Hope this is useful

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 15.56.30.png

• 3 months later...

Sorry @AndrewEd, but I don't know. The instructions above still work for me for the desktop version of Evernote. Only things I can think of are:

• I only tested on a MAC - Are you on OSX or Windows? 
    • Would be useful if someone can confirm this works for windows
  • Are you certain you have set the cut and copy preferences to Evernote ?
  • Are you using the latest versions ?

Sorry these are lame answers (nearly put "Have you tried turning it off and on again ...?")

Darren

11 hours ago, gazumped said:

Still my favourite...  :D

It worked when the Hyper-V manager tried to mess up my virtual machines! (all my snapshots vanished - reboot, and they're back - near panic since I hadn't run a backup recently!)

• 10 months later...

I tried several options again to get this to work. In MathType preferences, as noted by an earlier post, there is an option for Evernote. When I select this, the copy an equation and paste it into a note, the app pauses, spins the rainbow wheel and launches a window saying Downloading content... And...nothing. I've tried setting the preferences to PICT and PDF but these come in at such a large size that it is impossible to use. 

I've rebooted Evernote and MathType after changing settings and this behavior doesn't change.

Others have suggested modifying Evernote to accommodate Markdown. I don't really use Markdown directly, though I realize MathType uses this easily/natively. So, just fixing this "missing feature" would be very appreciated.

BTW, I'm using the mac desktop app to do this.

Any advice would be appreciated. This keeps me from using Evernote as my main research documenting tool.

• Level 5*
On 3/19/2019 at 7:25 PM, dakeefer said:

the app pauses, spins the rainbow wheel and launches a window saying Downloading content..

Hi.  Are you using exactly the same method as @DarrenMuff?

On 1/20/2018 at 4:02 PM, DarrenMuff said:

highlight it (or CMD-C / CTRL-C) then go to Evernote and past it (CMD-V /CTRL-V)

• Level 5*

Sorry - I got nothing more:  this is mainly a Windows thread,  so the difference may be MacOS-related,  but I don't have any more constructive suggestions,  unless one of my Mac colleagues can comment...

Archived