Evernote on macOS Sierra Beta

BSR

Idea

Hi everyone,

While our development team is actively anticipating any impact to the Evernote application in the macOS Sierra general release, I wanted to create an area where y'all can post any issues you are encountering in Evernote on the macOS Sierra beta version. It's possible our devs may already be aware of some of these issues, however, I think it would be a good idea to have a single thread for information gathering purposes.

If you are currently using the macOS Sierra beta and have experienced any unexpected behavior in Evernote while running the beta version of macOS Sierra, please post it here. Thank you and let me know if you have any questions!

72 replies to this idea

I am having this issue with Preview and any type of file, including images.  Just trying to crop images that the mobile app didn't handle correctly by editing them in Preview from the Mac app.  Is there any other way to do that now in Sierra?  Or do I have to export every image, crop and save it, and then re-create all these notes?

I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm running OS Sierra and since that update and the most recent Evernote update, I'm unable to select or copy text within notes that I've printed to Evernote from Airmail. I haven't checked other sources.

2 hours ago, Didiusz said:

Well, it's related to Sierra... and the Web Clipper thread isn't, but alright. I've been using Evernote for a while, love it, but Sierra has impacted a lot on the efficiency I had... hope you guys will make it good again.

Just FYI, I am running macOS Sierra (and Safari 10) and the Evernote Web Clipper is working fine for me.  I just tested it, with positive results.

Did you install it from Apple's own Safari Extension Gallery, or from Evernote's site?

Well, it's related to Sierra... and the Web Clipper thread isn't, but alright. I've been using Evernote for a while, love it, but Sierra has impacted a lot on the efficiency I had... hope you guys will make it good again.

3 hours ago, Didiusz said:

Evernote Web Clipper doesn't respond on Safari now that I've installed Sierra. Uninstalled the extension and reinstalled it, still doesn't work.

Thanks for your efforts,

Didier

Hi @Didiusz,

You can direct this to our Web Clipper Help thread linked below:

Web Clipper Help

3 hours ago, NayverM said:

My productivity is completely screwed up since several weeks now and Mac OS X Sierra is not a beta anymore.

With the increase of the price of the subscription, this kind of trouble is unacceptable. 

I'm currently looking for an alternative, because Evernote tires me.  

Staff said that the issues are fixed soon. But I get you.. Since we are paying much money for that application we expect a better service.

My productivity is completely screwed up since several weeks now and Mac OS X Sierra is not a beta anymore.

With the increase of the price of the subscription, this kind of trouble is unacceptable. 

I'm currently looking for an alternative, because Evernote tires me.  

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, NayverM said:

No because if you edit a pdf who is stored anywhere else than Evernote, you don't have this problem.

I opened and edited the pdf file from within Evernote
- no problem using Adobe
- problem using Preview

I opened and edited the pdf file on my desktop
- same problem with preview; it creates a second copy of the file

Hi,

no, it is not just preview. it seems to be a clashing of the way Evernote does things and the way Sierra handles its permission-management. But thanks to your valuable earlier input, we've already established that there are no outstanding issues?

I really hope they find a way to fix this. I don't expect them to come up with something right away and I know that Apple apparently changed something in the background that doesn't play nice with Evernote for some users, but paying a hefty premium for something that others offer for free kind of entitles us to expect a premium product and premium support. Let's hope they live up to that...

17 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm seeing the same thing - Preview saves a new version of pdfs I've annotated or encrypted.  I understood the issue to be with Preview.

When I open a PDF from Evernote, it looks like Preview is copying the PDF to iCloud and viewing that copy, rather than viewing from the original PDF location within the Evernote folder.  Which is probably why edits result in a copy.  If I open with Acrobat instead, it opens from an Evernote sub-sub-sub-folder location under ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/  

How do we get "open with Preview" to open from that Evernote sub-folder and not make a copy over to iCloud, where changes can't be made and changes that are made won't reflect back on Evernote?

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 2.34.18 PM.jpg

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm seeing the same thing - Preview saves a new version of pdfs I've annotated or encrypted.  I understood the issue to be with Preview.

No because if you edit a pdf who is stored anywhere else than Evernote, you don't have this problem.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, chuckkahn said:

I'm having the same issue with the release version of Sierra.  As soon as I edit an attached PDF from Evernote in Preview and edit it, Preview makes a copy in my iCloud folder and wants to save it there.  Is this an issue with Evernote or Preview?  I wish I hadn't upgraded to Sierra.

On 8/9/2016 at 5:25 AM, michael_c said:

Hi,

I also have a problem with PDF. When I open attached PDF in Preview and do some changes in the PDF I can't save directly back in Evernote. I need to save it on my HD and re-import it. 

I'm having the same issue with the release version of Sierra.  As soon as I edit an attached PDF from Evernote in Preview and edit it, Preview makes a copy in my iCloud folder and wants to save it there.  Is this an issue with Evernote or Preview?  I wish I hadn't upgraded to Sierra.

3 hours ago, LotsaNotes said:

Another couple of problems with Evernote for Mac under Sierra public release:

Using the photo capture feature in Evernote iPhone with Evernote Moleskine notebooks, documents captured this way are showing two problems when I open them in Evernote for Mac: 1) pictures are distorting horizontally according to document window width; 2) checking the "alarm" box on the Evernote Moleskine page is not causing Evernote to set a reminder.

Note the distortion problem is NOT unique to the Moleskine books as it also happens with other, plain-paper documents.

Distortion is absent in Evernote on Web, iPhone and iPad (iOS 10). Reminder does not set no matter what platform I open the note in.

Evernote Version 6.9 (454042 App Store). Up to date on iPhone as well.

Anyone else seen this, or know of a fix?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if you have ever downloaded straight from the Evernote website when it comes to the Mac version but that's what I do. It's not a 100% fix for everything and issues do some up just like any software but I find it to be more stable than the app store version.

On 8/9/2016 at 2:25 AM, michael_c said:

Hi,

I also have a problem with PDF. When I open attached PDF in Preview and do some changes in the PDF I can't save directly back in Evernote. I need to save it on my HD and re-import it. 

It's now October 26 and I'm having the same problem. Really wrecks my workflow totally.

• Level 5*

I think OS Sierra caused additional problems with viewing PDFs inline

- unable to select text

- unable to click on links; they don't seem functional

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Sharon P said:

Hate to sound like an idiot, but what does it mean to "upload" the pdf back into the note? Is there a better way than saving it as a copy then dragging it from the finder over the original? It worked, but what a pain. And I guess as you annotate more and more, it will keep adding add'l "copy(s)" to the filename each time. Unless you want to rename it each time. Ugh.

When Preview prompts to save a copy, I save it to the desktop

I then drag it into the note, replacing the original pdf

On 9/24/2016 at 0:30 AM, stefan_kk said:

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for following up and taking the time to let us know about this issue. Our development team has been made aware and I can assure you, they are diligently working on a fix.

As a temporary workaround, you can annotate directly in EN or if you need to use Preview, save the new PDF to a location on your computer and then upload it back into the note.

Although I don't have a specific time frame of when a fix will be available permanently, as long as you keep your app updated, once released, it will be available to you.

Hate to sound like an idiot, but what does it mean to "upload" the pdf back into the note? Is there a better way than saving it as a copy then dragging it from the finder over the original? It worked, but what a pain. And I guess as you annotate more and more, it will keep adding add'l "copy(s)" to the filename each time. Unless you want to rename it each time. Ugh.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Sharon P said:

It's now October 26 and I'm having the same problem. Really wrecks my workflow totally.

I am experiencing this too. EN is seeming to mark it as read only, so the Preview PDF viewer in the Mac cannot save back to EN.

On 10/14/2016 at 11:52 AM, Per4merKC said:

So it's not perfect, but I was able to go into the settings for a scan, and "Add" Evernote as a NEW application to send the ScanSnap scans.  It's not as elegant as the "Scan to Evernote" built-in option, but gets my scan into Evernote.

Thank you. That does exactly what I need. A simple solution to my problem since I don't use any of the Evernote (note) or Evernote (document) features. Fujitsu has recommended a couple of workarounds including using Evernote's software from Evernote rather than Apple's Application Store version. Don't know why they wouldn't be synchronized.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, mcfryer said:

So instead of trying to fix something that was a problem

You are aware of this discussion that Evernote set up to address issues with the pending OS release.
afaik  Evernote was monitoring issues posted and there are no outstaninding issues

On 9/10/2016 at 0:21 PM, Siliken said:

I have installed Sierra Golden Master and there has been no change to scanning to Evernote as originally reported. I did successfully scan to Google Docs which may indicated that it is not a ScanSnap issue.

I went through the Sierra 10.12.1 betas and installed the general release yesterday. I am using Evernote Version 6.9.2 (454159 App Store). My initial problem hasn't changed when scanning from my Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M. I get a pop-up stating that Evernote can't be opened (note that it has opened) and asks whether I want to keep my scan. My problem is addressed directly at Fujitsu has recommended a couple of workarounds.

note: I will edit this posting to let you know if one of Fujitsu's recommendations to install the Evernote application directly from Evernote solves my problem. It would seem strange that both versions couldn't be synchronized. I have already been using Fujitsu's second workaround, "dragging" my scanned files directly to Evernote and have recently discovered that I can "right-click" on a file and choose "Add to Evernote" which opens Evernote and deposits the file. Being that all seems to work internally within Sierra 10.12.1 my problem clearly lies with the ScanSnap Manager software Version 3.2 L80.

note: Didn't try to install Evernote's direct version. On 10/14/2016 at 11:52 AM,  Per4merKC said:  to go into the settings for a scan, and "Add" Evernote as a NEW application. That's all I needed since I don't "process" my PDFs and simply add keywords into the documents title.

I have a simple workflow in that I scan documents to a folder on my NAS and send them to Evernote. I was encouraged to read a comment on DocumentSnap that "Sierra 10.12.1...release notes...'Improves compatibility with Fujitsu’s ScanSnap scanning software.'...It looks as if both sides had work to do in resolving the issue." I have not independently verified this information but there may be hope for others experiencing different problems.

On 10/15/2016 at 3:31 AM, Greg McKinzie said:

Same . . . over two weeks later. The premium membership will be impossible to justify if this is not fixed soon. 

Of course, as many users have noted, this wouldn't be an issue if Evernote annotation included a basic text-selection function for highlighting. Absent that, it is essential that Evernote stop duplicating PDFs and simply save the changes made in other programs. 

Hey EN staff, any word on a fix for this? It's quite annoying.

On 10/14/2016 at 0:52 PM, Per4merKC said:

So it's not perfect, but I was able to go into the settings for a scan, and "Add" Evernote as a NEW application to send the ScanSnap scans.  It's not as elegant as the "Scan to Evernote" built-in option, but gets my scan into Evernote.

I've done this also, and neither way enables me to select and copy text from the note.

Same . . . over two weeks later. The premium membership will be impossible to justify if this is not fixed soon. 

Of course, as many users have noted, this wouldn't be an issue if Evernote annotation included a basic text-selection function for highlighting. Absent that, it is essential that Evernote stop duplicating PDFs and simply save the changes made in other programs. 

On 9/27/2016 at 0:08 PM, chuckkahn said:

When I open a PDF from Evernote, it looks like Preview is copying the PDF to iCloud and viewing that copy, rather than viewing from the original PDF location within the Evernote folder.  Which is probably why edits result in a copy.  If I open with Acrobat instead, it opens from an Evernote sub-sub-sub-folder location under ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/  

How do we get "open with Preview" to open from that Evernote sub-folder and not make a copy over to iCloud, where changes can't be made and changes that are made won't reflect back on Evernote?

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 2.34.18 PM.jpg

Could you explain your process for "printed to Evernote from Airmail"

I'm storing my email in Evernote as a pdf, and am also unable to select text
I am able to select the text on my ipad
On my Mac, I currently have to open the pdf in Adobe to select text

I use the Airmail 3 app (v. 3.1) as an email client connected to various email accounts. I save certain emails to Evernote, as PDF, from the Print Dialog box (I've attached a screen shot.) When I do this, Evernote opens and a note shows up there with the email as an attachment. In the past, I have been able to select and copy the subject from the email attachment and paste it into the title line of the Evernote note, but I am not able to do that now.

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 10.29.44 AM.png

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Lynnied said:

I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm running OS Sierra and since that update and the most recent Evernote update, I'm unable to select or copy text within notes that I've printed to Evernote from Airmail. I haven't checked other sources.

Could you explain your process for "printed to Evernote from Airmail"

I'm storing my email in Evernote as a pdf, and am also unable to select text
I am able to select the text on my ipad
On my Mac, I currently have to open the pdf in Adobe to select text

On 6 August 2016 at 9:36 PM, Endemite said:

Searching for something in Evernote shows a permanent "searching in PDF" overlay like the one on the screenshot. Makes sense since I can't select text in attached documents in Sierra PB.

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 10.34.23 PM.png

I am having exactly the same issue as Endemite. This has been the case in every beta so far. I have an iMac still running El Capitan, where it is not an issue, so I know that is not account or document related.

On 8/31/2016 at 5:17 PM, Siliken said:

I updated to Public Beta 7 this morning but am still unable to scan to Evernote (Document) from my S1500M.

I am happy to report that ScanSnap Version 6.8 (453749 App Store) printed to Evernote (Document) from Safari Version 10.0 (12602.1.50.0.8) using the latest Public Beta 7 Version 10.12 Beta (16A313a). I am sorry that I do not recall if printing to Evernote had ever stopped working.

I have installed Sierra Golden Master and there has been no change to scanning to Evernote as originally reported. I did successfully scan to Google Docs which may indicated that it is not a ScanSnap issue.

Issues with selecting text in inline attachments persists in 6.9, and the Sierra GM is out. A beta that would tackle this issue would be most welcome.

Sidenote: I still can't remove "Upgrade your team" from the sidebar in the version of the app downloaded from the web.

I moved to Developer Beta 8 (16A313a) and I'm now seeing a 'Version too old' message trying to access my database. I've removed EN and reloaded from the server, no love. I have checked that there is only one instance running. It was working before this upgrade.

UPDATE: The latest beta for Mac appears to fix this issue.

Screenshot 2016-08-31 05.47.04.png

I updated to Public Beta 7 this morning but am still unable to scan to Evernote (Document) from my S1500M.

I am happy to report that ScanSnap Version 6.8 (453749 App Store) printed to Evernote (Document) from Safari Version 10.0 (12602.1.50.0.8) using the latest Public Beta 7 Version 10.12 Beta (16A313a). I am sorry that I do not recall if printing to Evernote had ever stopped working.

ScanSnap does not scan to Evernote 3.2.80 with the latest Public Beta 6 [10.12 Beta (16A304a)]. It scans to my selected destination and opens Evernote but does send the file with the following pop-up error message: Failed to start up Evernote for Mac. A separate application called "Scan to Evernote (Document) shows up on my dock. I supposed it showed up before and went away...now it stays open. I missed the first couple of Public Betas so can't confirm that it worked in Public Beta 2 then stopped working.

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 8.04.46 PM.png

3 minutes ago, stefan_kk said:

Hi,

Since I am using the Sierra Beta, I cannot edit attachments in another app anymore, which is very frustrating. Whenever I open an attachment in another app and try to edit it, the app tells me, that the original file must not be changed and that therefore a copy was created, whereas before, I could just save the attachment back to my evernote note. i hope this gets fixed ? 

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 18.34.26.png

I'm on the Sierra public beta and this isn't an issue for me. Everything is working as it should. Are you on the developer or public beta? Make sure that there aren't any updates you missed. There was an update sent out Wednesday.

Also, posting beta version and all that good stuff here would be helpful so any support team members can see it. They will need that in order to debug.

Hi,

Since I am using the Sierra Beta, I cannot edit attachments in another app anymore, which is very frustrating. Whenever I open an attachment in another app and try to edit it, the app tells me, that the original file must not be changed and that therefore a copy was created, whereas before, I could just save the attachment back to my evernote note. i hope this gets fixed ? 

On 26/08/2016 at 6:39 PM, stefan_kk said:

Hi,

Same here, I'm becoming mad because of this. :( 

That's a beta build issue as far as I know. I was running the same build and got that exact message on four different applications. Make sure you're updated on the latest build as one came out this week and it should go away. At least it did for me. Now the beta just drops my wifi lol. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I can confirm the bug with dashes is still there if you are running macOS Sierra (public beta)

Bleh. Thanks for the confirm. Hopefully it is on the EN team's radar.

On 8/4/2016 at 1:34 PM, EdH said:

I am not on the MacOS beta, but I do know when El Capitan came out, there was a confirmed bug with tags with dashes in them.

On Yosemite and Windows versions, if you type "2-" EN will correctly pull the "2-Next" tag.

On El Capitan, typing "2-" will generate the "2-Next-" tag. (extra "-" at the end, and creates the tag)

I don't know if this is a macOS issue or EN, but it is frustrating to us GTD'ers that use these types of tags.

I can confirm the bug with dashes is still there if you are running macOS Sierra (public beta)

• Level 5*

I am not on the MacOS beta, but I do know when El Capitan came out, there was a confirmed bug with tags with dashes in them.

On Yosemite and Windows versions, if you type "2-" EN will correctly pull the "2-Next" tag.

On El Capitan, typing "2-" will generate the "2-Next-" tag. (extra "-" at the end, and creates the tag)

I don't know if this is a macOS issue or EN, but it is frustrating to us GTD'ers that use these types of tags.

Here it goes:

I'm not able to select and copy text in attachments ever since I installed macOS Sierra PB. Here's a short screencast I made for a member of the Evernote support team who directed me to the forums: http://jmp.sh/v9Vx4u4.

Hopefully, a beta will fix this soon, it is pretty frustrating (I know, no one supports public betas, and it is all my fault, but still hoping for a fix).

Best

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Fofer said:

Understood.  I'll take my anxiety to the appropriate thread, then.
By the sounds of it, Fujitsu's scanners (or more appropriately, their ScanScap software/drivers) have created some sort of PDF file that Sierra doesn't work nicely with -- to the point of likely data loss.  So not only does Fujitsu have the task of fixing this for scans/PDF files moving forward, but also to fix it for scans/PDF files it's created in the past.   The more I think about it, it seems like this is something Fujitsu will desperately need Apple's help to fix.  And then, and only then, will Evernote be able to incorporate that fix too, into their own Evernote Edition ScanSnap software. 

Yeesh.  Given how the organizations I manage use Evernote and ScanSnap (with lots of early-adopter users collaborating via shared notebooks) this is going to be a very long and distressing week.

Why not just hold off a few days or weeks before putting Sierra on there? Is there something you absolutely must have day 1? If so, you should have picked this issue up in the betas. I'd never slap a fresh OS in a work environment day one without some prior testing. It might break 5 other things you don't know about yet.

And the truly appropriate thread is with Fujitsu. I am sure Evernote is putting pressure on them to fix it, but they need to hear from you as they are the ones that have to fix it. EN is a bystander here. Nothing to do with the driver code.

At least they're aware of it now. I emailed them a week before Sierra came out proper and was told that they don't support beta software and that  I could email back after Sierra was out of beta. So instead of trying to fix something that was a problem they were interested in reminding me that it was just beta software.   I guess I'm just a little frustrated because of the new huge price tag and the multiple month lead up to Sierra that we're still having problems with the software like this.  If the price tag is for something professional grade, then it shouldn't be catch-up to fix problems.

51 minutes ago, stefan_kk said:

Hi,

I've contacted Evernote Support about this and apparently they are actively working on the issue and are offering a (cumbersome) temporary workaround:

Thanks for the update, Stefan. Their workaround is what I've been doing already. You're absolutely correct about it being cumbersome. I never realized just how often I edited images in Preview directly from EN until it stopped working. :mellow:  Here's to hoping they roll out a fix sooner rather than later.

On 9/23/2016 at 1:48 AM, TheDailyMel said:

I'm having this issue as well in the public release of Sierra, not a beta. Any way to get this fixed? I'm running macOS 10.12 and Evernote 6.9. I've disabled all the optimize storage options in Sierra, so I don't believe it's related to that. This wasn't an issue until I updated to Sierra yesterday. 

Hi,

I've contacted Evernote Support about this and apparently they are actively working on the issue and are offering a (cumbersome) temporary workaround:

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for following up and taking the time to let us know about this issue. Our development team has been made aware and I can assure you, they are diligently working on a fix.

As a temporary workaround, you can annotate directly in EN or if you need to use Preview, save the new PDF to a location on your computer and then upload it back into the note.

Although I don't have a specific time frame of when a fix will be available permanently, as long as you keep your app updated, once released, it will be available to you.

I really hope this gets fixed quickly, since it seems to affect a number of people and it sure disrupts my Mac-workflow with Evernote (which has always been so smooth... ? ).

On 8/26/2016 at 9:39 AM, stefan_kk said:

Hi,

I'm having this issue as well in the public release of Sierra, not a beta. Any way to get this fixed? I'm running macOS 10.12 and Evernote 6.9. I've disabled all the optimize storage options in Sierra, so I don't believe it's related to that. This wasn't an issue until I updated to Sierra yesterday. 

15 hours ago, Toph said:

Yep, I'm running the GM version. I had previously been running the developer beta. I also just re-installed Sierra from the public downloader. I'm still seeing that dialog when I close Evernote's main window.

To follow up on this, when I test signing in to my account on a different user on the same computer, with the same version of Evernote, the error doesn't show. I'm going to try flattening my Evernote installation and re-syncing. [Edit: Yeah, that solved it.]

On 9/12/2016 at 0:57 PM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Make sure that your Sierra version has been updated to the GM version. The internal error is a Sierra problem. The GM version of the macOS released end of last week. Are you running the developer or public Mac beta? If you are running the public one I know it won't update manually. You have to redeem a code through the app store to update it.

Yep, I'm running the GM version. I had previously been running the developer beta. I also just re-installed Sierra from the public downloader. I'm still seeing that dialog when I close Evernote's main window.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Fofer said:

I don't think you're understanding the gravity of this situation.  It has nothing to do with "my" workstation. This bug affects each and every scan/PDF created by every ScanSnap scanner in existence. Anyone who has ever received a PDF scan from a ScanSnap scanner, runs the risk of losing data in that file (or the entire file) simply by opening/editing/working with it, in OS X Sierra.

So now I should email everyone in my organizations and everyone I've ever done business with, and tell them, too, to hold off a few weeks before upgrading their operating system, for fear of losing PDFs and data inside them?  That's madness.

Well, you shouldn't take that responsibility for the world and all of their PDF files.

As for companies, most of them (every one that I've worked for or with) delays rolling out OS updates and major app updates until there has been testing. This is a perfect example of why. You do realize that for 100% of everyone's life, they have done with out macOS Sierra. I think if they are concerned about a PDF corruption issue, they can wait another few weeks. We had issues with Office 2016 on Mac and held off until the .2 release was sent by Apple which was about 2 months after El Capitan launched. We survived, and avoided crashing apps.

9 hours ago, Fofer said:

The shocker here is that Fujitsu didn't pick up this issue in the betas.  Sierra has been in public beta for three months now. And if they did pick up on it, it's alarming that they haven't come up with a fix by now.  And that only now, today, one day before Sierra is officially released, have they issued the warning?

Who says they didn't? I gave the example that Kwikset has the same issue with their Kevo lock. They picked it up in July as an issue with iOS 10 in the beta and Apple did nothing about it despite a thread in the developer forums that ran for months.

I don't know the details, but it may be that there is nothing for Fujitsu to fix, but they might be able to do a work around for a bug Apple created and hasn't responded to.

9 hours ago, Fofer said:

Understood and agreed.  Except to clarify, it is driver code. Fujitsu's scanner driver code, that is providing the PDF that Evernote imports.

Maybe. Again, it could be Apple's Preview app that shows PDF files. But when I said "nothing to do with driver code" I meant Evernote has nothing to do with it.

3 hours ago, EdH said:

Why not just hold off a few days or weeks before putting Sierra on there?

I don't think you're understanding the gravity of this situation.  It has nothing to do with "my" workstation. This bug affects each and every scan/PDF created by every ScanSnap scanner in existence. Anyone who has ever received a PDF scan from a ScanSnap scanner, runs the risk of losing data in that file (or the entire file) simply by opening/editing/working with it, in OS X Sierra.

So now I should email everyone in my organizations and everyone I've ever done business with, and tell them, too, to hold off a few weeks before upgrading their operating system, for fear of losing PDFs and data inside them?  That's madness.

If so, you should have picked this issue up in the betas.

Me?  I'm not a beta tester.  

The shocker here is that Fujitsu didn't pick up this issue in the betas.  Sierra has been in public beta for three months now. And if they did pick up on it, it's alarming that they haven't come up with a fix by now.  And that only now, today, one day before Sierra is officially released, have they issued the warning?

There was nothing for me "to pick up."  Fujitsu (and then, Evernote) issued the warning for the very first time, today.

And the truly appropriate thread is with Fujitsu. I am sure Evernote is putting pressure on them to fix it, but they need to hear from you as they are the ones that have to fix it. EN is a bystander here. Nothing to do with the driver code.

Understood and agreed.  Except to clarify, it is driver code. Fujitsu's scanner driver code, that is providing the PDF that Evernote imports.  I fully understand that it's Fujitsu's responsibility to handle this, and Evernote is a bystander that happened to be in partnership, marketing and selling their hardware with Evernote-specific software and branding.  But this is one whopper of a bug.  I think a fix will eventually come, and I'm thinking Fujitsu will be heavily relying on Apple, actually, to fix it, with their prodding and cooperation.

We'll see.  Regardless, I've moved this discussion to the appropriate thread.

Another couple of problems with Evernote for Mac under Sierra public release:

Using the photo capture feature in Evernote iPhone with Evernote Moleskine notebooks, documents captured this way are showing two problems when I open them in Evernote for Mac: 1) pictures are distorting horizontally according to document window width; 2) checking the "alarm" box on the Evernote Moleskine page is not causing Evernote to set a reminder.

Note the distortion problem is NOT unique to the Moleskine books as it also happens with other, plain-paper documents.

Distortion is absent in Evernote on Web, iPhone and iPad (iOS 10). Reminder does not set no matter what platform I open the note in.

Evernote Version 6.9 (454042 App Store). Up to date on iPhone as well.

Anyone else seen this, or know of a fix?

Thanks!

Understood.  I'll take my anxiety to the appropriate thread, then.
By the sounds of it, Fujitsu's scanners (or more appropriately, their ScanScap software/drivers) have created some sort of PDF file that Sierra doesn't work nicely with -- to the point of likely data loss.  So not only does Fujitsu have the task of fixing this for scans/PDF files moving forward, but also to fix it for scans/PDF files it's created in the past.   The more I think about it, it seems like this is something Fujitsu will desperately need Apple's help to fix.  And then, and only then, will Evernote be able to incorporate that fix too, into their own Evernote Edition ScanSnap software. 

Yeesh.  Given how the organizations I manage use Evernote and ScanSnap (with lots of early-adopter users collaborating via shared notebooks) this is going to be a very long and distressing week.

2 hours ago, EdH said:

Evernote partners with Fujitsu, but it is up to Fujitsu to update their drivers.

Hi @Fofer; @EdH is correct here. The update in the email you received from us was issued by our partner and the ScanSnap Evernote Edition's manufacturer, Fujitsu/PFU. My comment on anticipating the impact of macOS Sierra was in regards to the desktop Evernote application for Mac. 

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Fofer said:

How actively are you anticipating it?  I just got this alarming email, that seems rather catastrophic, given how Evernote is shared within my organization.  This major OS update comes out in two days (after being in public beta for many months) and NOW we get this alert about the very likely potential for data loss?

My goodness.  I hope you're able to issue a proper fix for this quickly.

ScanSnap Compatibility with macOS Sierra

Problems regarding the compatibility with macOS Sierra have been found. 
Please do not use ScanSnap applications on macOS Sierra. Also, before upgrading your OS to macOS Sierra, please be sure to make a backup copy of the PDF files created by using ScanSnap applications. 
We will provide you the solution to these issues as soon as available.

Evernote partners with Fujitsu, but it is up to Fujitsu to update their drivers.

On August 4, 2016 at 0:45 PM, BSR said:

Hi everyone,

While our development team is actively anticipating any impact to the Evernote application in the macOS Sierra general release...

How actively are you anticipating it?  I just got this alarming email, that seems rather catastrophic, given how Evernote is shared within my organization.  This major OS update comes out in two days (after being in public beta for many months) and NOW we get this alert about the very likely potential for data loss?

My goodness.  I hope you're able to issue a proper fix for this quickly.

Dear valued SSEE user,

This email is being sent to Evernote users who purchased our ScanSnap Evernote Edition (SSEE) scanner on our Evernote Market site.

We would like to let you know about a known issue that affects SSEE users who use Apple's Macintosh computers on the MacOS Sierra platform (to be released Sep 21, 2016). If you are a Mac user using Sierra, or are planning to do so, please read on.

Our partner and SSEE's manufacturer Fujitsu/PFU, have issued a notice warning all ScanSnap users that some pages on PDF files may be deleted when using MacOS Sierra. The details can be found on the Fujitsu/PFU site.

ScanSnap Compatibility with macOS Sierra

Problems regarding the compatibility with macOS Sierra have been found. 
Please do not use ScanSnap applications on macOS Sierra. Also, before upgrading your OS to macOS Sierra, please be sure to make a backup copy of the PDF files created by using ScanSnap applications. 
We will provide you the solution to these issues as soon as available.

1. Units concerned 
    All ScanSnap scanners including ScanSnap Evernote Edition 

2. Problems found by our investigation
    1. Some pages of the PDF files that have been generated with ScanSnap applications may become blank pages when they are edited or converted to searchable PDF files on macOS Sierra. 
      Also, B&W pages are saved as color pages on the OS, and accordingly the size of the files becomes larger.
    2. Some pages of the PDF files that are created with ScanSnap applications on macOS Sierra may be saved as blank pages. 
      Also, the size of B&W pages becomes larger than it should be because they are saved as color pages on the OS.
    3. When images are exported to an application through Quick Menu on macOS Sierra, the images may be displayed as blank pages on the preview screen of the application.
    4. Some pages may be deleted when Merge Pages of ScanSnap Organizer is carried out on macOS Sierra.
    5. When duplex scanning is carried out on macOS Sierra, data on the back side of the scanned cards are not imported to CardMinder.
On 8/26/2016 at 0:39 PM, stefan_kk said:

Hi,

I'm having this exact issue - I used to be able to rotate pages or add information to a PDF and now I have to save the PDF to my HD and re-upload it to Evernote.  I'm on the final public beta and have Evernote 6.9

2 minutes ago, Toph said:

In Sierra, every time I close the main Evernote window, I get the attached error message. Clicking "Continue" doesn't cause any problems, but it's annoying. I'm running 6.9 Beta 2.

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 12.52.42 PM.png

Make sure that your Sierra version has been updated to the GM version. The internal error is a Sierra problem. The GM version of the macOS released end of last week. Are you running the developer or public Mac beta? If you are running the public one I know it won't update manually. You have to redeem a code through the app store to update it.

In Sierra, every time I close the main Evernote window, I get the attached error message. Clicking "Continue" doesn't cause any problems, but it's annoying. I'm running 6.9 Beta 2 and am on the latest Sierra Developer Beta as of 2016-09-12 — macOS 10.12 (16A319).

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 12.52.42 PM.png

Archived