Evernote for Mac v6.9 Beta 1 Released (Official Thread)

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi everyone,

The Mac client team is  pleased to announce the release of Evernote for Mac v6.9 Beta 1. 

Please reply to this post and let us know how you like it. As per usual, if you find an issue, please let us know in a reply to this post.

You can download the new version here or from within the app. Please note that betas are available to users of the Direct Download version of Evernote, and are not available to users of the Mac App Store version.

Thanks and happy beta testing!

p.s. @EvernoteAlex is helping Evernote on some other projects so I'll be sending out these release updates for the time being. 

New

• Note titles remain visible at the top of the page when scrolling the note content. 
  • You can control-click Evernote note links in the editor to get an option to open the note in a seperate window. 
  • The Premium document search feature now looks through common text file attachments. 

Fixed

• Hidden left sidebar items (e.g. shortcuts, recents) now stay hidden across app launches
  • Removing tags from multiple notes selections now properly syncs with the service. 
  • Lots of bugs and stability fixes! 

42 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I don't know if this is an error introduced by the new beta version; I noticed a sync problem with tags updated on notes.

I removed a tag from various notes on my Mac.  Later, I noticed these notes hadn't syncd

I also submitted Ticket# 1767963

edited: I isolated this error to tag changes for multiple notes using the Mass Change feature

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, kempster said:

But I am no longer able to use keyboard shortcut to insert date and time stamp in the title... OUCH! I'm a mac user. Can I get it back?

Same problem (insert date shortcut not working in title)
I use this shortcut in the title 99% of the time, rarely within the note

Me, too. I think the guys who worked on a static title somehow cancelled the shortcut key... and like you, DT, I use it on almost every post - it's important for me to see the date I posted the note.

I like the note title persistence, but have an issue with long titles not being fully displayed. In the previous couple of versions, long titles were wrapped to multiple lines. In this beta, that is no longer the case. Now, we can only see part of long titles. Please restore the text wrapping functionality. As an Evernote business user, many of our titles are long and only subtly different from other notes.

Problem: the Format/Styles submenu is sometimes greyed out (unavailable) after some use of the app.

I noticed that this was a problem because my keyboard shortcut macros (Keyboard Maestro) for sub and superscripts stopped working.

A quit and restart of the app restored the Styles submenu (not grey, and the keyboard shortcuts worked again).

Hope that this can be fixed soon....

Love the title fix. Did find one peculiarity but not sure it is related to this version. I used the iPhone app to take a picture of a notebook page. Not a problem with that but when I view it, unless I am in full screen, the writing is distorted.

• Level 5*
On August 5, 2016 at 9:00 AM, nicolml said:

@DTLow Checking that preference will allow Evernote to show you a notification alert before a Calendar event in case you want to take notes for this event. 

Could you give us more details on this?  I have it turned on, but I'm not noticing any meeting alerts

OK Here's yet another feature we lost on this release: When I use a CLASSIC link (e.g. evernote:///view/371461175/s12/f185aef1-2b4f-43c6-94be-f09f000e062d/f185aefxxxxxxxxxxxxx/ - the type I use routinely to put links in CALENDAR, OmniFOCUS, ADRESS BOOK (MAC), etc), the link takes me to the note in the Evernote Window, but DOES NOT OPEN it (as it always has).

That means, my current view in EW is lost, and I must click to open the note.

FIX??

Ken

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, kempster said:

OK Here's yet another feature we lost on this release: When I use a CLASSIC link (e.g. evernote:///view/371461175/s12/f185aef1-2b4f-43c6-94be-f09f000e062d/f185aefxxxxxxxxxxxxx/ - the type I use routinely to put links in CALENDAR, OmniFOCUS, ADRESS BOOK (MAC), etc), the link takes me to the note in the Evernote Window, but DOES NOT OPEN it (as it always has).

That means, my current view in EW is lost, and I must click to open the note.

The classic link works for me, but can you expand     DOES NOT OPEN it (as it always has)
I'm seeing EN open, and focussing on the correct note.

17 hours ago, soundsgoodtome said:

So, I'd simply ask that this be made optional. It's fine to have it enabled by default. Please, just let us disable (or re-enable) it in preferences. Please don't force us to see this every time we use Evernote—as you've done with (often unwanted) features in the past—like Presentation Mode, which is almost universally loathed. 

Yes. This has become my number one pet peeve about Evernote and I've been here since the day the Mac app was released. I work with a lot of images and years of muscle memory have taught me: double-click the image to see it full size. Nope. Double clicking opens presentation mode. (Actually for a Plus user, it opens an ad for presentation mode.)

I desperately want an option in preferences so double-clicking a picture opens it full size instead of presentation mode. Please. I'll never use presentation mode. But I'll open full size images twenty or so times per day.

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

I don't know if this is an error introduced by the new beta version; I noticed a sync problem with tags updated on notes.

I removed a tag from various notes on my Mac.  Later, I noticed these notes hadn't syncd

I also submitted Ticket# 1767963

same here, sync problems if you update existing notes, and some new notes failed to sync.

Also, the date shortcut does not work in the title. 

Problem: the note titles no longer line wrap :(

Previously, when the note titles were longer than the window width, they would wrap to the next line.

Now they just go to the right hand of the window and are cut off.

This is definitely a step backwards. If having the titles be always displayed even when the windows scroll is considered necessary, it is still important that they be wrapped. We need to be able to read the entire title, no longer how long it is.

Problem: Editing selected web links in notes fails, replacing display text with pasted link.

Steps to reproduce:

1. write some text in a note; select the text, and then type command K to display drop-down box for URL; type in or paste URL; press return.

Result: selected text now appears as a blue underlined link, as expected.

2. select the blue underlined link text; type command K to display the drop-down box for URL; place insertion point in URL; command A to select all; paste new URL in place; press return or click OK button to dismiss the drop-down box for URL.

Result: originally selected text is replaced by the pasted in new URL text, which is underlined an active as a link.

Expected result: the same selected text should be visible as before, but the new pasted URL should be retained and be active upon clicks.

On 4 augustus 2016 at 2:04 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Hi everyone,

The Mac client team is  pleased to announce the release of Evernote for Mac v6.9 Beta 1. 

• You can control-click Evernote note links in the editor to get an option to open the note in a seperate window. 
  •  

Thanks for keeping the note titles visible.

How the above mentioned option works I do not understand. Perhaps it is featured in a YouTube film somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Endemite said:

Could you please tell me the reasoning behind making permanent (with the option to remove it greyed out) the Upgrade your team icon in the sidebar of the version of the app downloaded from the internet? I'm a premium user and not a part of a team, why should my sidebar be cluttered with this?

The new beta solved the sidebar issue for me.  Customizations stick, and I'm able to remove "Upgrade Your Team"

• Level 5*

Absolutely, unequivocally, worth its weight in gold for keeping the note subject always visible and not letting it scroll off the screen!

Can one of you on the Mac team to show the Windows team how the Command-J shortcut works? I'd love it on the Windows side. :)

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Out of interest, Command-J?

Jump to any notebook by typing in a few letters. Introduced on the Mac in the past few months. I think of it as a Goto Notebook function.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, EdH said:

Jump to any notebook by typing in a few letters. Introduced on the Mac in the past few months. I think of it as a Goto Notebook function.

Tried Alt-F1?  It presents the notebook drop down.  Not sure it's the same...

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

You can control-click Evernote note links in the editor to get an option to open the note in a seperate window.

right-click seems to give the same results as control-click

• Level 5*

Did the date picker get changed for setting reminders? I can no longer click on the word for the month and have it zoom out to show just the months to quickly scroll through future months. I have to go through them one at a time with the <> buttons.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Ernst said:

For Quick Switcher on Windows, use the shortcut Control+Q.

See other Windows shortcuts at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004807

Ahh... cool. Not sure why the keystrokes cannot be more in sync between Mac and PC. CTRL-J isn't used on the PC, so why can it not be the same as the Mac shortcut. IIRC, I understand why the Mac isn't Command-Q. I think that is the default to quit an app. Not at my Mac to test.

Could you please tell me the reasoning behind making permanent (with the option to remove it greyed out) the Upgrade your team icon in the sidebar of the version of the app downloaded from the internet? I'm a premium user and not a part of a team, why should my sidebar be cluttered with this?

Note: Downloaded the version from the internet to see if the betas solve the problem of not beeing able to select and copy text in pdf attachments to notes (running macOS Sierra Public Beta)

Ken

Aug 5, 11:34 PDT

Just updated my EN... new feature: title stays static. All good.

But I am no longer able to use keyboard shortcut to insert date and time stamp in the title... OUCH! I'm a mac user. Can I get it back?

@Endemite What you're seeing is another issue we're tracking, and slightly different from "shortcuts" and "Recent Notes" reappearing after launching the app again. Just wanted to chime in and let you all know we're aware of it and working on a resolution.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, karenjs said:

REALLY am liking the new persistent Note Title! Not able to remove Upgrade Your Team from the sidebar (long-time premium member, not part of a team). @DTLow, share your secret! 

I have no secrets - although it helps that my entry is not greyed out:)
My removal method was to right click on "Upgrade Your Team"

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 1.02.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-04 at 1.02.31 PM.png

18 hours ago, EdH said:

Absolutely, unequivocally, worth its weight in gold for keeping the note subject always visible and not letting it scroll off the screen!

Can one of you on the Mac team to show the Windows team how the Command-J shortcut works? I'd love it on the Windows side. :)

It's wonderful to see such enthusiasm for a feature. No doubt this is what the developers like to see! 

That said, the persistent title is not ideal for all situations, nor for all users. For certain types of notes, the persistent title is obtrusive. Ironically, even prior to this update, there wasn't one instance in which a note's title was NOT visible:

(a) In Evernote's main window, the note's title is displayed and highlighted in the note list (no matter which view is being used).

(b) Even if one has double-clicked a note to open it in a separate window, the note's title is always displayed at the top of the window, in the window's title bar.

As such, I find the persistent title unnecessary, redundant, and intrusive. Yet, of course I can easily see how others who work differently than I do might enjoy and appreciate the change.

So, I'd simply ask that this be made optional. It's fine to have it enabled by default. Please, just let us disable (or re-enable) it in preferences. Please don't force us to see this every time we use Evernote—as you've done with (often unwanted) features in the past—like Presentation Mode, which is almost universally loathed. 

Not every feature is good for every user. Don't get me wrong: I love new features! But I don't love all new features. No one does. So, please—please—just make this one optional.

Thanks in advance. :)

I would like to add my vote to having the note title visibility being an option for the user. Put it in the View menu as a checkable option, just like the other user interface options.

At this point, there is no visual divider of any kind between the scrolling text field and the static note title. If the note title were in a shaded box or split by a divider line, it might be more visually usable.

But as it stands now, this is going to be a real annoyance for me. It looks odd as the text moves into the white title box and disappears as the the text is scrolled. As pointed out above, the note title is already selected in the notes list. Overall, I favor making the app as minimalist as possible, but make the various options user selectable.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, wb said:

I would like to add my vote to having the note visibility being an option for the user. Put it in the View menu as a checkable option, just like the other user interface options.

At this point, there is no visual divider of any kind between the scrolling text field and the static note title. If the note title were in a shaded box or split by a divider line, it might be more visually usable.

But as it stands now, this is going to be a real annoyance for me. It looks odd as the text moves into the white title box and disappears as the the text is scrolled. As pointed out above, the note title is already selected in the notes list. Overall, I favor making the app as minimalist as possible, but make the various options user selectable.

I am not opposed to options for preferences by any means, but just to defend the current choice.

By having the note title as part of the header and thus always visible, no matter how the note is displayed - full screen, in a window, or within EN's main window, the note title is always there. You don't have to look for the title in different places depending on how the note is displayed. Consistency. I love consistency. I hate "Hi! Guess where we moved the note title to" game.

Archived