Evernote Touch Replacement

Hi All,

I cannot seem to find out how to auto update my Evernote Touch to the replacement Desktop version, now that I have completed the Windows 10 anniversary update.

Would someone please let me know where I find the update settings?

Thank you in advance.

Nathan

• Level 5*

It could be that they are adding the x86 desktop application to the Windows Store together with the Anniversary update, but I wouldn't bet on it that it will be there from day one.

Here is the email:

Evernote for Windows to replace Evernote Touch

On August 2, 2016, Evernote Touch will be replaced with the full-featured Evernote for Windows desktop app in the Windows Store. If you’re currently using Evernote Touch, updating to Evernote for Windows will allow you to take advantage of all the best features of Evernote on your Windows 10 devices.

If you have the Windows 10 Anniversary Update with automatic updates turned on in the Windows Store, you don’t need to take any action. Evernote Touch will automatically update to the latest version of Evernote for Windows. Your notes and notebooks will not be affected.

You can continue to use Evernote Touch on older versions of Windows. However, it will no longer be available for download or update.

The 2nd has come and gone, Evernote Touch hasn't been replaced, and the Desktop app still isn't available in the Windows Store. What's going on? Could we get an update (preferably an ETA) please?

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Not on topic for this thread,  but as a matter of interest have a look at my contribution here > https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/97945-request-please-please-a-dark-theme-for-window-users/?do=findComment&comment=419713

Thanks for the link @gazumped - it reads like a description of both what is happening and what not to do.

1 hour ago, dconnet said:

We're hoping it will be up soon. Lawyers, contracts, ... That stuff we developers try to stay away from.

Thanks for the update @dconnet.  As you no doubt know, you have a lot of passionate users, who might not post in these forums, but eagerly await these updates.  Personally I think Touch does not have the functionality of a desktop version and am eager to get away from it.  By way of feedback for the business - your communication was so confident, I think it needed to be followed up with an update on the day.  Nobody minds if it is delayed, as long as we know - and don't have to waste time yesterday trying to find something that didn't exist.

I am also disappointed by this deadline being missed, believe or not this was the main reason I went ahead and updated to Win 10 Anniversary, really disappointing guys. Like the previous contributor said the email announcement you sent out was so confident , you should have followed this up with 2nd announcement keeping your loyal users informed, whats going on at Evernote???

As I said. Lawyers. The desktop version works fine - and is exactly the same binary as will be in the Store version. (And in my opinion, better than what the Store version will be as there will be no access to enscript with the store version)

On 16/08/2016 at 6:50 PM, jefito said:

Can't you just install the desktop version on your own?

The problem is not there...

1) The problem is that the desktop version is not "touch friendly" and on hybrid devices, it is a handicap. And the old version of Evernote Touch is not 'excellent '.

And since with this new promised version, There is still not handwriting, it starts to do a lot.

2) this is Evernote that has sent an email to its users to tell that the old version would be replaced, and very quickly, 08/02. No mail, no sue.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, David_C. said:

The problem is not there...

1) The problem is that the desktop version is not "touch friendly" and on hybrid devices, it is a handicap. And the old version of Evernote Touch is not 'excellent '.

And since with this new promised version, There is still not handwriting, it starts to do a lot.

2) this is Evernote that has sent an email to its users to tell that the old version would be replaced, and very quickly, 08/02. No mail, no sue.

OK, got it. I think a further notification that the replacement would be delayed should have been in order. Nope sure what "No mail, no sue" refers to, though.

18 minutes ago, jefito said:

Nope sure what "No mail, no sue" refers to, though.

I am not English-speaking, (and it's Google Translation). In my language it is (often, not always) the same word for complaint, claim and sue.

On 8/18/2016 at 4:45 AM, David_C. said:

1) The problem is that the desktop version is not "touch friendly" and on hybrid devices, it is a handicap.

Be aware - the Windows 10 version that will replace Touch _is_ the desktop version - it's just repackaged for the Windows Store. We're still working around some OS bugs (that will be fixed in upcoming Windows patches). Also some co-existence issues with the normal desktop version.

24 minutes ago, dconnet said:

Be aware - the Windows 10 version that will replace Touch _is_ the desktop version - it's just repackaged for the Windows Store. We're still working around some OS bugs (that will be fixed in upcoming Windows patches). Also some co-existence issues with the normal desktop version.

I know that it will not be a UWP... https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/73780/evernote-bringing-desktop-application-windows-store

But maybe a bit more "touch friendly". Since you are here .... It would still be time Evernote becomes aware that IOS and Android are not the only things that exist on earth. Perhaps Windows Phone is dying, but for the Windows hybrids market, This isn't the case, on the contrary. As a Windows Premium user, i would like that Evernote understand that. Do you know Surface sales ?

So is the now 20 days late update going to be enhanced to be more touch friendly?  I don't see the point in replacing Touch, emailing us to let us know and to be excited about it, if it is the same app that we already have that is wonky with touch.

I also don't see how "lawyers" didn't exist prior to the email coming out telling us that August 2nd was the date.  Why was there an announcement of an exact date when there were OS bugs?  This is making me look closer at OneNote as well.

I also don't see how "lawyers" didn't exist prior to the email coming out telling us that August 2nd was the date. 

We were told on the 2nd, "Stop!" (They caught us literally as we were about to push the button - in fact I think we did and had to quickly unroll it)

Why was there an announcement of an exact date when there were OS bugs?

We didn't know of those issues at that time.

I have no exposure to when announcements are made (other than seeing them also). I'm sure you'll agree that slipping that date is far better than releasing something that would crash and burn. (And then having all the forum users scream that we don't do QA - see, we do! :) )

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

I also don't see how "lawyers" didn't exist prior to the email coming out telling us that August 2nd was the date. 

We were told on the 2nd, "Stop!" (They caught us literally as we were about to push the button - in fact I think we did and had to quickly unroll it)

Ouch.

23 hours ago, dconnet said:

I have no exposure to when announcements are made (other than seeing them also). I'm sure you'll agree that slipping that date is far better than releasing something that would crash and burn. (And then having all the forum users scream that we don't do QA - see, we do! :) )

Firstly, thank you for playing a role and participating in this conversation - I agree with everything you have said.

However, having jumped into the conversation, you are our company representative, and whilst (as you have reminded us several times) you are a developer and not linked to the admin side of the business - we are relying on you to pass our feedback on to the right people in your business.  Otherwise this conversation is repeated the next time you launch an "exciting update".

I would definitely rather wait for a completed version, but I would also like to have some follow up communication when things slip.  I think you can take the sentiment from everyone in this feed, that delays are fine (we all have them in our businesses), but don't treat us like idiots and tell us exciting news and then think that we won't realise when you don't follow through on commitments....keep us involved.

It has now been 32 days since the last communication from Evernote...

On 8/22/2016 at 7:09 PM, dconnet said:

Thanks for the reply! Truly.

But, that brings up another kinda grrr.. question...  I have been told both in this thread and in reply to a tech support email that it is the exact same version that I already have (Evernote for Windows not Touch).  If that is the case, then why are there OS bugs?  Eh, nevermind on that, stuff happens.  My bigger question still remains though.  What is the point of this version if it doesn't have any increased touch functionality?  Am I missing something?

I managed to get Evernote from the Microsoft Store on my home PC. It is essentially the same as the Windows desktop client. I removed the desktop client and it works just fine. However, I tried to download the Windows 10 version of Evernote from the Microsoft Store on my work PC (logged in with the same Microsoft account to the store app), and it keeps downloading Evernote Touch. Why is my work PC downloading the touch version?

42 minutes ago, grberk said:

I managed to get Evernote from the Microsoft Store on my home PC. It is essentially the same as the Windows desktop client. I removed the desktop client and it works just fine. However, I tried to download the Windows 10 version of Evernote from the Microsoft Store on my work PC (logged in with the same Microsoft account to the store app), and it keeps downloading Evernote Touch. Why is my work PC downloading the touch version?

Very strange. For me Evernote Touch was update to Evernote for Windows on my 2 Surface Pro. On my PC, I have kept the classic desktop version.  

5 hours ago, grberk said:

Why is my work PC downloading the touch version?

You have to be on Build 14393.105 (or greater) of Windows. There was a Windows patch that was released just a day or 2 ago that bumps the Anniversary edition up to .105.

13 minutes ago, dconnet said:

You have to be on Build 14393.105 (or greater) of Windows. There was a Windows patch that was released just a day or 2 ago that bumps the Anniversary edition up to .105.

DUDE.

Thanks so much for that helpful, valuable tip. I thought I was going crazy!

It would have been helpful if that information was relayed in the tech blogs or in the app store. Or in some press release. 

Would have been helpful.

Thanks again!

I got the Microsoft Store version working, but it doesn't seem to start automatically with Windows, even though I have the option checked. Is there any way I can tweak a setting somewhere to force this until a fix is available?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, grberk said:

I got the Microsoft Store version working, but it doesn't seem to start automatically with Windows, even though I have the option checked. Is there any way I can tweak a setting somewhere to force this until a fix is available?

I don't think Universal Windows Apps (and desktop apps in UWA form) have an autostart function. You have to go for the regular desktop app.

10 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I don't think Universal Windows Apps (and desktop apps in UWA form) have an autostart function. You have to go for the regular desktop app.

Well, if that's the case, then that option needs to be removed from the app! :-P

I did manage to find a kludgey way around the auto-start issue.

Open an explorer window and type in " shell:AppsFolder" in the address box to open the apps folder. Look for the Evernote icon, right-click and save a shortcut to the desktop. Then open "shell:startup" and put that shortcut in there and it will load up at startup.

It doesn't load up minimized to the system tray like the regular desktop app does, but at least it auto-loads.

I may just go back to the regular desktop app instead. At least I now know how to auto-start any app, regardless of whether it's a desktop app, or a UWP app. ;-)

• 1 month later...

Archived