Printing & Margins

Robin_P

Idea

43 replies to this idea

PLEASE! We have been asking for this basic improvement for years. The wide margins on Mac are ridiculous and inflexible. Evernote would be a perfect program if you could just take care of this limitation.

• Like 4

I have had Evernote Premium for over 2 years and my only disappointment is your inferior print/formatting features. It is frustrating and unacceptable that we can't control any printing of our notes. I have over 2500 notes and use Evernote for everything. That minimizes the need for printing, but when I need to print something I hate that I have no control and end up with huge margins, broken images and more pages than I need. Maybe I have missed Evernote's response or roadmap, but there are thousands of posts and replies about this over the years so it seems like something that should be taken seriously. 

• Like 6

It's ridiculous and embarrassing that so many features like this get ignored for years.  

I frequently print out documents I manage in Evernote.  Checklists, for example.  And have a hell of a time dealing with all the wasted margin space on Mac.

FIX IT!

I'm tired of paying for Evernote and seeing all the features I need get ignored for years.  Address basic stuff like this before going off and developing crazy bloat features we don't need.

• Like 2

Although I don't often need to print from Evernote, when I do, the lack of "Page Setup" options on the Mac is a serious annoyance.

Surely it can't be that difficult to at least be able to adjust the margins to something smaller so that a decent amount of the note fits on a page.

I love Evernote and have been a user for many years.  I would have thought that at the size it is now Evernote would have the resources to do something about the print option.  Please!

• Like 4

+ 1 for me as well.  

Even if it's not a frequently used feature, it doesn't seem hard to implement and would save A LOT of time for users.  I've had to resort to taking screenshots and 'taping' them back together in a document layout program to achieve what should just be a button click. 

• Like 2
On 7/29/2016 at 5:52 PM, jbenson2 said:

Yes, I think you are right that printing is not a priority at Evernote. There are posts requesting better printing, but I remember reading other posts where users said they never use the print option. I have 35,000 notes and use Evernote daily over the last 8 years. I cannot recall a single instance where I needed to print a note. Paper scanners, the cloud, email, smart phones, and apps have completely replaced my need to print hard copies. I prefer to rely on electrons over paper.

Totally understand you don't want to print, but printing tool in Mac is also made to create PDF, which is something people use a lot, I guess. At least, I use it all the time, and would love to be able to control margins...

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, I think you are right that printing is not a priority at Evernote. There are posts requesting better printing, but I remember reading other posts where users said they never use the print option. I have 35,000 notes and use Evernote daily over the last 8 years. I cannot recall a single instance where I needed to print a note. Paper scanners, the cloud, email, smart phones, and apps have completely replaced my need to print hard copies. I prefer to rely on electrons over paper.

• Like 1

Please consider improving the print margins, as suggested above.  If it is too much work to give users some options for print margins, then please decrease the size of the margins for all MAC users, as there is so much wasted space -- and hence so much wasted paper.

• Like 1

This is unbelievable that every problem I see in evernote many users suggested it to change it here many years ago and EN stuff do nothing about it.

I love this software but hate this people who are working there.

I wish them one day there will come another company who will wipe EN out of the market.

• Like 1

+1

When doing something like printing off a table for use by meeting participants, it would be really nice to NOT have to import it into Word to format it. The fact that Mac Evernote lacks even the basic formatting features found in Windows EVernote is a complete shock to me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
23 hours ago, DTLow said:

We're closer to year 2018; not really relevant

I'm definitely used to seeing margin adjustment in word processing applications

I don't consider Evernote to be a replacement for a dedicaded Word Processing application

DTLow, You think you are such an expert to say what is "relevant" because you haven't printed anything in over 8 years. All the hundreds of posts asking for basic printing capabilities is what is relevant. Just because you think it is not necessary to print doesn't make our desire or need any less relevant. Evernote needs to listen and respond to their users.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Exavior said:

It's ridiculous and embarrassing that so many features like this get ignored for years.  

I frequently print out documents I manage in Evernote.  Checklists, for example.  And have a hell of a time dealing with all the wasted margin space on Mac.

FIX IT!

I'm tired of paying for Evernote and seeing all the features I need get ignored for years.  Address basic stuff like this before going off and developing crazy bloat features we don't need.

Thanks for sharing what I have been saying for years. Some "experts" on this forum don't get why printing is important. These "Notes" replace many spreadsheets and documents and it would add great value to the program if we were able to simply print without huge margins. There isn't anything else that works so well so they need to fix it.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Larry N said:

is there any progress on this? Wanted to print a note that ended up being 30 pages... makes no sense.

No changes.  
For a multi-page document to be printed, I recommend a word processing editor.  Evernote works well with Word/Pages.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:57 AM, DTLow said:

No changes.  
For a multi-page document to be printed, I recommend a word processing editor.  Evernote works well with Word/Pages.

DTLow, I wish you would stop telling us printing is not important just because it isn't to you. Obviously you don't copy and paste between Evernote and Word the way we need to. Formatting and images do not easily transfer and it is frustrating spending time cleaning up the Word file just to print what we created in Evernote. Since you are an expert/guru please use your influence to help them see they are ignoring their valued users.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, sdadell said:

DTLow, I wish you would stop telling us printing is not important just because it isn't to you.

You're quoting my post, in which I said nothing about the importance of printing for myself or others

My point is about using the right tool to create/edit multi-page documents.

>>Obviously you don't copy and paste between Evernote and Word the way we need to. 

No I don't.  
These days I'm more of an Apple Pages user, but not much copy/paste between the apps.
This is the editor I use for multi-page documents.

I use the Evernote editor for notes which by definition tend to be short.

On 7/29/2016 at 8:52 AM, jbenson2 said:

Don't forget about printing to .PDF format. I often print to PDF for marking up documents on my tablet or phone. In the engineering world, I deal with a lot of 11x17. It's a common workflow for me. 

I switched to Evernote when I traded my Windows laptop for a MacBook back in 2009. On Windows I had grown fond of OneNote, and at the time, OneNote didn't exist for Mac. Now it does, and I'm seriously considering switching back. Reasons: formatting, drawing, add notes anywhere on a page, and PRINTING.

It's sad that Apple hasn't provided basic print margin setup in its OS. Then the feature would be available to every app that allows printing.

I have been using Evernote for three years now with some success, but I would also like to see the printing issues fixed. I work on the screen as much as possible, but would like the ability to capture a pdf of a note or an entire notebook that accurately reflects what is shown on the screen. This would enable me to send quality materials to people that do not have Evernote, and perhaps even bring in a few new customers to the Evernote platform once they can appreciate how well it works.

On 7/29/2016 at 8:52 AM, jbenson2 said:

It is not always about printing to paper.  I don't want a PDF with 2 pages that only has 1 or 2 lines on the second page when there is EASILY room on the first page.  Formatting has to do with presentation, on screen or paper. That EN has no formatting options is inexcusable and arrogant. 

• Level 5*
On 8/8/2018 at 7:47 AM, Louis Brunet said:

It's not because you don't do it that there isn't a need for other users ;):)

That's a valid point, and you're welcome to add your vote to this feature request.

The voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion; the vote count is currently at 1901599950_ScreenShot2018-08-08at09_38_11.png.99820cc2ecf9d352fdcc5aeba35dd71f.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, paulantico said:

It is not always about printing to paper.  I don't want a PDF with 2 pages that only has 1 or 2 lines on the second page when there is EASILY room on the first page.  Formatting has to do with presentation, on screen or paper. That EN has no formatting options is inexcusable and arrogant. 

Maybe it's because most PDF programs already have their own formatting options.  At least PDF programs on Windows.  Maybe less arrogance and not wanting to waste time reinventing the wheel.  Who knows.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.1812640c864d8c81eb695b28c094b8ab.png

8 minutes ago, CalS said:

Maybe it's because most PDF programs already have their own formatting options.  At least PDF programs on Windows.  Maybe less arrogance and not wanting to waste time reinventing the wheel.  Who knows.

Maybe because this thread is about using Evernote on a Macintosh where this continues to be an issue year after year. 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, jason54 said:

Maybe because this thread is about using Evernote on a Macintosh where this continues to be an issue year after year. 

So PDF programs for the Mac don't have their own print preferences?  Even the free ones?

2 minutes ago, CalS said:

So PDF programs for the Mac don't have their own print preferences?  Even the free ones?

There are many great PDF programs for a Mac, none of which Evernote for Mac interfaces with unfortunately (thus this thread).  Your options are to use the Print function to create one but you have no control over the formatting or margins that are created as has been gone over again in this thread.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jason54 said:

There are many great PDF programs for a Mac, none of which Evernote for Mac interfaces with unfortunately (thus this thread).  Your options are to use the Print function to create one but you have no control over the formatting or margins that are created as has been gone over again in this thread.

Yeah, native Windows EN print does not allow formatting of the PDF output either.  But if I print to Adobe or Nitro Pro printers I can set print preferences like scaling or fit to a page.  Who woulda thunk you couldn't create a target PDF printer on the Mac.  Sorry for the sideways repetitive trip.

18 minutes ago, CalS said:

Yeah, native Windows EN print does not allow formatting of the PDF output either.  But if I print to Adobe or Nitro Pro printers I can set print preferences like scaling or fit to a page.  Who woulda thunk you couldn't create a target PDF printer on the Mac.  Sorry for the sideways repetitive trip.

No worries, I wish the solution was easy.  The PC version has a whole panel to structure the columns and size of a "printed" note, not sure why it couldn't be simply brought to the Mac platform as well.  Not an urgent, make-or-break issue obviously, but over the many, many  years (seriously, this thread is ancient) I've been surprised that EN has never addressed it.  I've resorted to stitching screen grabs back together at times to accomplish this. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 8/26/2020 at 4:31 PM, paulantico said:

Inexcusable and arrogant? 

If the lack of a program function really bothers you this much, then I suggest you take some decisive action and move on to another program.

• Thanks 1

I think you hit a significant point, @DTLow, people are expecting Evernote to be a word processor, and they forget the fact ,it is for taking notes. I don't print from Evernote sinply because that is not its strong feature, and was never designed to be. 

That's like walking into the local quick mart and expecting to find a butcher. 

• Like 1

I also am extremely frustrated by the lack of printing options in Evernote.  I used to use a PC and was able to print only the headers but also print out information like the notebook and date it was housed in.  This was very helpful if I wanted a paper copy of lists, etc.  We sort all of our vendors and client to do lists this way and not printing hard copies to edit is a huge problem.  This is such a basic feature to have printing options.  

I have been an Evernote junkie for years and use it for everything and recommend it, but this is an ongoing frustration.

• Level 5*
On 11/26/2017 at 7:14 AM, jriley said:

The ability to adjust print margins is such a basic piece of functionality. 

I am really surprised that in the year 2017, it's not available in Evernote.  

We're closer to year 2018; not really relevant

I'm definitely used to seeing margin adjustment in word processing applications

I don't consider Evernote to be a replacement for a dedicated Word Processing application

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
On 11/27/2017 at 8:37 AM, sdadell said:

You think you are such an expert to say what is "relevant"

My comment on relevancy referred to the year, 2017, 2018

>>because you haven't printed anything in over 8 years

That is incorrect. Just yesterday I picked up some photographs from the printshop 

I also print documents, not so much Evernote notes