Editing Table on the Web with Basic

jray9242

Idea

24 replies to this idea

Just to confirm, this is not currently a feature in Evernote Web. It may be something that will be added in the future. I went ahead and moved this thread over to Web Feedback.

Please feel free to up vote if this is something you would like to see in a future version of Evernote Web.

• Like 1

Issues:

You cannot add/remove a column or row

You cannot resize the table 

You cannot drag the row and column sizes

You cannot change the table grid length 

Max you can have 6X6 table.

Had to download Evernote for Windows and do those to see here in Evernote Web. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not sure what you're looking for - tables are (within fairly narrow limits) editable by clicking and dragging the column borders,  and in the desktop versions there are extra add and delete column options.  Tables are not an Evernote strong point - best advice is to create the table in Word or something similar and copy/ paste across.  Tweaking is possible after that,  but not major redesign. 

Gazumper

I created the table with the Desktop version and can edit them with no problems. The problem is I can't edit the table when I view it with the web version. I can't select or drag the columns.

Thanks again

Jim

• Level 5*

You're right - the web version only allows new tables to be created.  Interestingly (well it is to me) the old web version allows you to add new tables inside of existing tables - so as a work around you may be able to add extra space to a table by inserting two or more child cells inside a main cell,  or recreating the table with extra cells.  (Haven't tested whether this also applies to the new web version - switch between the two in settings.)

Apart from this any table structural changes would have to be completed in the desktop version (or maybe on a tablet - haven't tested the mobile versions.)

Nested tables are not permitted in the (windows) desktop version - but the nested cells display quite normally when synced from the web.

• Like 1

Thank you "kgg" and will do. I am teaching others how to use Evernote in our Genealogy classes and want to know more and more about the product. I did along with another person a comparison between One Note and Evernote.

So learning more is must and learning the limitations is great because I still think it's far better than One Note.

Thanks again.

Jim 

58 minutes ago, kgg said:

Just to confirm, this is not currently a feature in Evernote Web. It may be something that will be added in the future. I went ahead and moved this thread over to Web Feedback.

Please feel free to up vote if this is something you would like to see in a future version of Evernote Web.

Dumn question. How do I vote for it. I see you moved it over but don't see the vote button.

Thanks

Jim

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jray9242 said:

Dumn question. How do I vote for it. I see you moved it over but don't see the vote button.

Thanks

Jim

Scroll up to the top left of your screen - see where it says "1" - try to make it "2"...

On 2016-07-30 at 9:49 PM, kgg said:

It would be GREAT to be able to add rows and such on the web. For example, when using a random computer which doesn't have evernote installed, or using a chromebook (which I am at the moment), it would be nice to be able to add a new row instead of just writing it randomly, and then making a reminder to sort the notes when being back on a computer which has this features. That is unconvinient --> people will flee from it and use a better solution.  

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Glennie said:

Does voting for something actually produce results?

I have not been following how people have been voting so I am actually in the dark about this one.

I'm not seeing how it can hurt.

There's also nothing to stop you from also adding a post in the discussion, however, if your only comment is "+1", please vote instead.

It was set up by Evernote, and is recommended by employees.

Note; There is not a direct relationship to the implementation schedule.  It just gives Evernote an idea of the priority from a user perspective.

• Like 1

How has this changed in a year? From what I can tell editing tables in the online editor is still not a function. Its quite frustrating that I can not delete a table. Is the best advice here to use a 3rd party program to do note editing?

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Eze01 said:

Is the best advice here to use a 3rd party program to do note editing?

I think the best advice for note editing is to use the Win/Mac platforms; they have more feature than the other platforms

I also get more features if I switch to a dedicated editor/format.  I use Word/Pages and store the document as a note attachment

• Level 5*
On 2/20/2018 at 9:13 AM, pc_evernote said:

Issues:

You cannot add/remove a column or row

You cannot resize the table 

You cannot drag the row and column sizes

You cannot change the table grid length 

Max you can have 6X6 table.

All known issues - see comments above.  You already have the work around:  it is possible to edit tables created on the desktop client,  or in a wordprocessor.

So I'm guessing this issue is not high on Evernote's radar? I've just started trying out tables myself and it is quite frustrating not being able to edit them online. I too have a basic account and experience all the issues the OP mentioned. However, I also find that once a table is added to a note I can not then add text anywhere in the note apart from inside the table itself. I'd have thought such a basic feature would be available. I sincerely hope it is in the desktop version or Evernote is all but useless for creating tables.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, JoeMD said:

So I'm guessing this issue is not high on Evernote's radar? I've just started trying out tables myself and it is quite frustrating not being able to edit them online. I too have a basic account and experience all the issues the OP mentioned.

This is nothing to do with basic/premium accounts. It's just how the web client works. Incidentally, the web client is undergoing a remake right now; it's not ready for prime time yet, but you can check it out. See 

This thread was started in 2016. The last post is from 2018. It's 2022 and editing tables is still not possible in the web client. I'm forced to use this because I'm on Linux, which by the way is still not supported either. I've started looking at alternatives to Evernote. Found one called Joplin which is based on Markdown and works really well. Just FYI for those in the same situation.

• Evernote Expert

And I can edit tables in the web version without difficulty.  What is missing is the ability to right click in the table and make changes by that method.  But the built in table options work well enough...

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Mig82 said:

It's 2022 and editing tables is still not possible in the web client.

This thread has been dead for 4 years because you can edit tables in the web client. What version of the web client are you using and what exactly are you trying to do to the table?

Screen shot from web version 10.42.7

image.png.fb07d10829ab7c18784588d3ce75adf2.png