how to link to a specific part of a note?

is there a way to link to a specific line or part of a note? I know how to make links to other notes, but I'm asking if it's possible to link to certain part of a note within the same note, so internal links

I have a lot of notes that range to fairly to very short because there is not much to say on the topic, so combining these notes into a longer one would be easier for organization purposes, but this also means that the typical method of linking means that the links to these combined notes goes to the start, not the specific topic or section that I want to directly go to

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Hi.  There's no way to link to part of a page.  Rather than combine your notes however,  why don't you select all the notes you would like to combine,  and create a 'parent' Table of Contents note.  You could put all the child-notes together in a 'reference' or 'archive' notebook so they're out of the way*,  and refer to the parent note to jump to one or the other.  Use 'back' on your toolbar to go back to the parent page,  or add links back to it as necessary.

You can also move links around to group them conveniently,  or add further links to new child notes.

*Do this before you create the ToC note,  otherwise the links might be broken!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I second this suggestion Evernote developers

Could you please add this feature? Word has it and  I think its rather important to be able to quickly move inside a note ??

• Like 5
  • 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
37 minutes ago, Daffan said:

Yeah it's a good idea. Especially when you don't want to make 100 notes, just have 1 with multiple areas; 

There's a request posted at the note linked below   
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5*

Hmmn.

7 hours ago, Daffan said:

Yeah it's a good idea. Especially when you don't want to make 100 notes, just have 1 with multiple areas; 

Making a new note is about as hard as making a new paragraph;  and one huge note is a data loss waiting to happen,  where 100 separate ones will save 99% of your data even if there is a loss.  Entirely your preference - but I'm a short notes man!

• 1 month later...

I would love this feature as well, if it hasn't been implemented yet. I am glad @cervidae wrote about it and I have to agree.

Furthermore, it had an option for automatically creating a "Table of Content" (TOC).
For example, with a hit of a TOC button,
it would look at merged note headers and automatically created the TOC.

It would then place the created TOC at the top of the note like so:

AutomaticCreationOfTableOfContentFromMergedHeader.png.0a641720744ae0e8183b4dfbdf5b2739.png

• 3 months later...

Yes I'm searching for solutions to this now. There ARE use-case scenarios for having links within the same note (I do NOT always want to separate info out into different notes, especially if I want a user to be able to scroll through a lot of information that is linear without having to go "back" and select the next note, especially if a lot of sections are very small. A table of contents within a note allows lots of info to be together and scrolled through, but let user still have option later to click on link to exactly the desired section.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

This feature request, like a number of others, will either be met or the green elephant will keel over and die. There was a time when EN, as undisputed king of the hill, could hold off indefinitely on these very sensible feature requests, but now that competitors, including open source competitors, have features like outline view, intra-note links, etc., EN will either catch up or be left for dead. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, tavor said:

This feature request, like a number of others, will either be met or the green elephant will keel over and die.

I think the "number of others" totals several hundred at this stage,  including fonts / styles / layout / links / printing / presentations amongst many others.  Wonder which ones they'll have time to finish before the Elephant Apocalypse happens...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I think the "number of others" totals several hundred at this stage,  including fonts / styles / layout / links / printing / presentations amongst many others.  Wonder which ones they'll have time to finish before the Elephant Apocalypse happens...

Outline mode is a game changer. Once you use it, there is no going back to a note app that doesn't have this feature (or similar feature that lets you quickly and easily navigate a note). You better not try it, because then you'd be compelled to abandon your post as Evernote Forum's unpaid defender.  I hope they're at least sending you some of those Evernote socks that never sold. 😉

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*

Actually I'm a very happy user of Workflowy (apologies in advance if you have to temporarily sign up to a free account to see that...) which - as you may be able to see - does a whole lot more than just outlines.  It searches faster than Evernote too,  and it's where, in [shock, horror] a hierarchical folder layout, I keep a load of boiler-plate Evernote comments and links.  It's actually becoming the control panel from which I 'run' my Evernote account.  One links seamlessly to the other,  though they're not officially integrated.  Workflowy for the quick lookups,  and Evernote for the storage-in-depth.  YM, as they say, MV.

(Side note: I also have installed,  and freely use Google Calendar, FreeMind, LibreOffice, Visio,  Excel, Airtable and several other apps for their various special features.  The dates and layout are in the independent apps.  The details in each case are either attached to a Note or otherwise link back to Evernote.)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/24/2016 at 3:11 PM, cervidae said:

is there a way to link to a specific line or part of a note? I know how to make links to other notes, but I'm asking if it's possible to link to certain part of a note within the same note, so internal links

I have a lot of notes that range to fairly to very short because there is not much to say on the topic, so combining these notes into a longer one would be easier for organization purposes, but this also means that the typical method of linking means that the links to these combined notes goes to the start, not the specific topic or section that I want to directly go to

this would be a functional feature to have to be able to link from another document or note and have it jump to another specific section of another note. 

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, AquaMan said:

this would be a functional feature to have to be able to link from another document or note and have it jump to another specific section of another note. 

The current work-around is to split longer explanations into short notes and link <1> to <2> and so on down to <10>,  which can link back to <6> if its needs to.  As you already appreciate linking to in-note anchors is not something that Evernote currently offers,  but it may be on their list somewhere...