Creating a writing assistant.

I would love to see Evernote become something akin to a hybrid note taking app and say Scrivener.  I would love to write in it more but the spell check and grammar check seem to be a little behind in this area.  Could this become something that is worked on?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Thanks for the suggestion - not sure whether Evernote will take it up;  they're a Swiss army knife for data collection and curation rather than a specific writing app,  and developments in this area wouldn't necessarily benefit many of their users.  I'm sure they'll add it to an already very long list of feature requests..

• Level 5
On 7/24/2016 at 2:55 PM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

@cmj05sc Are you a Scrivener user? You can pull live update Evernote files and notebooks into Scrivener and essentially it does what you are asking.

Sayre, can you say a little more about how that works?

BTW, and hopefully not too off-topic, Scrivener is working on major updates to Mac and Windows products. Don't know how they will affect this.

4 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Sayre, can you say a little more about how that works?

BTW, and hopefully not too off-topic, Scrivener is working on major updates to Mac and Windows products. Don't know how they will affect this.

It actually has changed within the last week or so with the iOS app release for Scrivener. The desktop clients were upgraded for mobile sync (one of the updates coming and I do believe that there are more coming up soon). You used to be able to import the public link into Scrivener and get live updates which for me is not working on the notebook level. However, you can do the same thing with single notes and it seems to be working right now.

• Level 5
2 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

It actually has changed within the last week or so with the iOS app release for Scrivener. The desktop clients were upgraded for mobile sync (one of the updates coming and I do believe that there are more coming up soon). You used to be able to import the public link into Scrivener and get live updates which for me is not working on the notebook level. However, you can do the same thing with single notes and it seems to be working right now.

Thanks. So you're saying that if I import the public link for a note in Evernote into a document in Scrivener, the text in Scrivener will be updated when I update the Evernote note? That would be kind of magical!

18 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks. So you're saying that if I import the public link for a note in Evernote into a document in Scrivener, the text in Scrivener will be updated when I update the Evernote note? That would be kind of magical!

It has to go in the Research folder since it's technically coming in as a website. If you aren't in a huge rush I can do a screen recording of how to do it tonight after some meetings.

18 minutes ago, cmj05sc said:

Scrivener was suggested to me by a friend whose an author and I was hoping to find something I already used.  Is it worth it Sayre?

It is especially if you also get the new iOS app which is amazing. They do offer a 30 day trial of the software if you download it directly from the developers website. Trial is on the Mac/Windows version.

4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

No huge rush at all. That would be excellent; please don't delay your own work to do it, though.

As soon as I can get my screen recording software to work I shall get to it. lol. It's been a long day.

5 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

No huge rush at all. That would be excellent; please don't delay your own work to do it, though.

Here you go. It's super simple on a per note basis. I'm still trying to figure out a workaround with the new issues I'm seeing with a whole notebook in Scrivener.

*DISCLAIMER: Don't make fun of my organization lol. I'm in the restructuring process. ;) 

Steps taken in the video:

Choose note.

Copy public link.

In Scrivener choose Import and then Import Web Page.

Paste link and hit Okay - Title if you want to but not necessary.

It will show up in your binder.

EN STUFF HAS TO GO IN THE RESEARCH FOLDER SINCE THE PROGRAM SEES IT AS MEDIA 

*Any edits made in EN can be updated in Scrivener by clicking on the circle arrow thing in the lower right corner which I'm not sure you can see in the video but here's a screenshot.

skitch.png

• Level 5

Thanks, Sayre! (And apologies to others viewing this thread who find it a bit of intolerable drift and in-group conversation. :blush: ) I should have realized that this was going to end up being a Scrivener Mac-vs.-Windows issue. Importing Web pages is notoriously unreliable in the current Windows version of Scrivener. About the best that can be done is this workaround/kludge: http://gwenhernandez.com/2015/03/12/adding-evernote-notes-to-a-scrivener-project/. However, I'm going to file your post away in Evernote, and when the new Windows version of Scrivener, equal to the Mac version, comes out in (hopefully) a few months, I will be able to use it. Thanks again!

PS. I would never make fun of anyone else's organization! I totally realize that no one else could possibly achieve the sublime perfection of my own system. :rolleyes: :D

Archived