Spent some time reading the Ask a CEO blog yesterday (which was pretty much awesome, by the way) and I just have to say that if it's true -- that due dates are coming -- that's just about the best Evernote news I can possibly imagine. I've been hurt too many times (I'm looking at you, cultured code) by down-the-road-promises....but seriously, the day due dates come to this already insanely beautiful & useful application I'll pay as much as you guy can charge me for a pro account.

Not sure why I'm posting this. I'm just happy about it?

-s

We plan to add the ability to specify a due date for a note, to sort the note list by due dates, and to be able to search for notes within a range of due dates. This would permit, for example, a saved search for notes with an effective due date of "today" or "this week."

We aren't building any advanced calendaring, schedule management, or notification interfaces into Evernote. But we do hope that this facility will be useful, and would encourage third-party developers to build specialized utilities and vertical applications on this framework.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
you talk about due date since April, is there a date when it will come or does it work whith the upgrade version?

Please follow the links in BurgersNFries' post (directly above yours) for more information.

~Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
We plan to add the ability to specify a due date for a note, to sort the note list by due dates, and to be able to search for notes within a range of due dates. This would permit, for example, a saved search for notes with an effective due date of "today" or "this week."

We aren't building any advanced calendaring, schedule management, or notification interfaces into Evernote. But we do hope that this facility will be useful, and would encourage third-party developers to build specialized utilities and vertical applications on this framework.

Hi, what I would like to know (apart from when this will be implimented!) is will the due dates feature apply to any note? Like web clipping, receipt, note etc?

I like to have the option to apply a schedule/due date/tickler to any file within evernote not just 'to do' notes!

Is this likely? To me it seems obvious…

If and when this feature is added I will then upgrade and fully use Evernote. At present it is Toodledo, 2Do (iPhone), MailTags and Evernote. I would dearly love one place for all web clippings, research, notes, ideas etc etc

I think the answer is "yes" ... the "due" date for a note will be an optional special field like the other ones you see in the header of the note when you show the information.

So you can say that any particular note has a date and time that it is "due", even if it happens to be a web clip or a picture from your phone. (The UI to actually set this field may not appear everywhere initially, etc.)

I think this is an essential next improvement.

I just bought Egretlist and was already to junk OmniFocus.. which I have been using as my ToDo app of choice in favour of Evernote, because it could do so much more!! but then found I could not set reminders of things to do at a Due Date..

So await with eagerness this update...

I would love to know if its imminent .. or a longer term plan?

This isn't imminent since we have some more critical client work that needs to happen first (for performance, stability and hardware compatibility), but this is planned after that.

Thats a shame since it was April that you said it was in your future plans. Will hang on I guess.

And that is exactly why Dave doesn't impart specific time frames. Sometimes current projects take longer than expected. Sometimes more critical, unforseen, things rear their heads.

This isn't imminent since we have some more critical client work that needs to happen first (for performance, stability and hardware compatibility), but this is planned after that.
  • Level 5
NBarrera said:

Thats a shame since it was April that you said it was in your future plans. Will hang on I guess.

Of course... there is "Nothing wrong with asking". But expect some pushback when you spice up your post with some sarcastic digs.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Yes, we'd originally hoped to do this quickly, but it requires coordination across our platforms (at least the web service, Mac, Windows, and iPhone/iPad initially), and this can be tough if one of the projects is in the middle of something heavy already. In this case, we're doing major work on the Windows client for performance/size/compatibility that pushes the whole thing back for everyone.

(And, as noted, this is why we don't usually give out guesses for release dates ... if you had asked me in April, I would have said "within 2 months" and then looked like a jerk in July.)

Thanks for the interest, we think this will be a nice addition to our products, and be particularly cool with some partner products (e.g. Egretlist) that can do their own thing with this field.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, Looks like the latest Egretlist update now includes due dates using their own implementation. Just played with it a bit and it seems to work OK with their own calendar, which I only realized by chance that you need to drag the list window down to see the actual calendar since they haven't published a full write up on the update yet.

please be thinking about allowing the user to have a Franklin planner type work flow for todo lists. E.g. a "daily task list" that can be viewed through various filters:

• [*:2brmb4bm] items due today or earlier that are not completed.
    [*:2brmb4bm] all items (sorted by date)

Among other things, I need to be able to edit todo lists on my iPhone, not just check/uncheck items on the list. (You probably have this on your implement soon feature list)

Adding {a|b|c} {1|2|3|4|...} to the todo list (or just the daily task list) would be a nice touch too.

Obviously the goal is not to force everyone to use a Franklin/Covey type approach but to enable those of us who want to.

• Level 5*

It's not clear that Evernote will be (or should be) a task manager. That doesn't seem to be its main purpose at this time, that's for sure. I think that adding todo items is a nice feature, but they're not particularly well-supported on all platforms, and lists of to-do items are sure a long way from being to-do lists. That plus the fact that due dates aren't implemented yet leads me to believe that full -on task list management is a ways off, if it ever will appear in Evernote.

That being said, you may be able do something close to what you want by using notes to track individual tasks, and using tags to organize them, modulo due date support, that is. Oh, and please note that I am not an Evernote employee, nor do I have any special insider information about their plans. This is just my own speculation.

~Jeff

That being said, you may be able do something close to what you want by using notes to track individual tasks, and using tags to organize them, modulo due date support, that is. Oh, and please note that I am not an Evernote employee, nor do I have any special insider information about their plans. This is just my own speculation.

thanks -- I'll look at how much power I have to filter based on tags. I can probably live without due dates (for now) and manage to get by with tags.

I'm still new to evernote so I haven't quite figured out the power and limitations of tagging and querying based on tags.

• Level 5*
thanks -- I'll look at how much power I have to filter based on tags. I can probably live without due dates (for now) and manage to get by with tags.

I'm still new to evernote so I haven't quite figured out the power and limitations of tagging and querying based on tags.

It can take awhile if you're used to other systems. I think there there are other folks around who have implemented fairly rigorous methodologies in Evernote; you could try searching for 'GTD' to find their descriptions. It's not exactly what you want, but might give you some ideas.

~Jeff

• 4 months later...

This seems to have been lying fallow for a few months but I thought I would give it a stir because it's probably the reason why I'm not using Evernote more at the moment.

As a manager with a lot of activities and projects the ability to put a due date on notes and todo boxes would really make sense, it's not about having a todo list manager, I don't get much value from those anyway and I already use the MS Exchange one as it's our corporate standard. It's more to help organise priorities and associate several notes with a single date, so they come together when I need them.

I used to have a wonderful program called Harlekin on the Atari ST which was almost everything I needed for day to day business, enabling a great variety of documents to be organised with any single document having multiple purposes. Evernote does a lot of what Harlekin did but the one thing that's missing is date setting.

If it was either/or I'd go for attaching dates to a todo checkbox rather than a note, that way a note can be linked to several future events.

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5

There was a flurry of postings from Evernote staff in 2010 about the details of Due Date addition.

It has trickled down to a whisper this year. I still have my hopes that it will be released later this year.

• 4 months later...

I would like to see some integration with external calendars.

One idea (perhaps already mentioned) would be for evernote to send a standard calendar invite to a designated email address (e.g. my gmail for google calendar or my work email for outlook) for due dates. This could the the implementation itself (lightweight) or a way to integrate EN due dates into external calendars.

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*

Any news on adding Due Dates to Evernote?

Sorry for digging out an old post from 5 years ago, but the question is still relevant.

The question would be answered in the past tense. Due Dates are spelled "Reminders", these days. They've been out for several months now, on all of the major Evernote clients (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Web).

Archived