Scanning tips and tricks?

I am using EN latest version on Nexus 6 running Marshmallow. I have a very hard time scanning anything to EN: documents, whiteboards, handwriting, anything. The scans are almost always washed out and the auto-focus NEVER manages to capture what actually needs to be captured. I was wondering if the experts in this forum have any tips and tricks to offer that will help me take high quality scans.

Any inputs are much appreciated! TIA!

GT

• Level 5

Be sure you are scanning to a PDF format (and not a JPG)

• I use CamScanner on my LG phone when I am away from home. Sharp and enhanced scans for all my receipts..
  • I use a Fujisu ScanSnap scanner at home. I've scanned thousands of documents over the years into Evernote

Both have auto-focus and do a great job.

• Level 5

I use a fairly simple OCR app called Text Fairy. It does a good job of deciphering text (including straightening crooked lines and cropping images to just what I want). Once I've got everything, I can then share it to Evernote. That works for text, of course; it doesn't do handwriting recognition.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, tulpuleg said:

I am using EN latest version on Nexus 6 running Marshmallow. I have a very hard time scanning anything to EN: documents, whiteboards, handwriting, anything. The scans are almost always washed out and the auto-focus NEVER manages to capture what actually needs to be captured. I was wondering if the experts in this forum have any tips and tricks to offer that will help me take high quality scans.

Any inputs are much appreciated! TIA!

GT

Top right of your screen when in camera mode is a little square icon.  Tap to select between automatic and manual mode.  Try both to see which works better...

• 2 weeks later...

I switched to MS Lens for all my scanning needs. Its working for now. The only trouble is, I have to manually import scans into notes from gallery. And OCR takes time to recognize text (12 hrs, once). But the scan quality is very good and it seems to do a better job of recognizing the target text than EN's automatic mode.

Thank you all for your tips

Archived