Jump to content
vitalyb

Evernote backlinker - Open source utility

Recommended Posts

When my notes get large, I like to break them out and create index/table-of-contents notes. However, it is hard to say later when looking on such note whether it belongs to any index.

This project can help you with that. It takes notes from looking like that:

7ec44268-4ae4-11e6-9ea8-44bee18889de.png

Then the utility goes over all your recently edited notes and adds backlinks to the content notes, back to the notes that link to it. Bringing it to look like this:

32b3f8c8-4a80-11e6-9db7-bc9c649c9fb9.png

You can read the instructions and get the app here: https://github.com/vitalybe/evernote-back-linker-2

The solution is Python based so it should work on all OS

Edited by vitalyb
updated image
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, I should make the images clearer.

The utility doesn't create any new notes. It merely checks the existing links and adds backlinks to the notes that are linked.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, vitalyb said:

Then the utility goes over all your recently edited notes and adds backlinks to the content notes, back to the notes that link to it.

Could we get some details as to the logic behind the code; or is this like asking a magician to reveal the secrets behind his tricks

I am looking at your code now, but I'm new to Python.
It was interesting how you derive the note link; I haven't seen that done

Share this post


Link to post

Sure. The link to the note is done here:

INTERNAL_LINK_PREFIX = "evernote:///view/"
url = INTERNAL_LINK_PREFIX + "{1}/{0}/{2}/{2}/".format(get_user().shardId, get_user().id, dst_note.guid)

Basically to create a link to the note you need to get the shardId, userId and the guid of the note. The resulting format looks like so:

evernote:///view/187234871/s6/6e66ef87-f5cc-42ce-a9e9-7b517905fc87/6e66ef87-f5cc-42ce-a9e9-7b517905fc87/

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On July 16, 2016 at 11:07 AM, vitalyb said:

Sure. The link to the note is done here:


INTERNAL_LINK_PREFIX = "evernote:///view/"
url = INTERNAL_LINK_PREFIX + "{1}/{0}/{2}/{2}/".format(get_user().shardId, get_user().id, dst_note.guid)

Basically to create a link to the note you need to get the shardId, userId and the guid of the note. The resulting format looks like so:


evernote:///view/187234871/s6/6e66ef87-f5cc-42ce-a9e9-7b517905fc87/6e66ef87-f5cc-42ce-a9e9-7b517905fc87/

 

Thanks.  

I use AppleScript on a Mac and we don't have access to these components.  I do now; I just have to parse the note link

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/15/2016 at 11:55 AM, vitalyb said:

When my notes get large, I like to break them out and create index/table-of-contents notes. However, it is hard to say later when looking on such note whether it belongs to any index.

This project can help you with that. It takes notes from looking like that:

7ec44268-4ae4-11e6-9ea8-44bee18889de.png

Then the utility goes over all your recently edited notes and adds backlinks to the content notes, back to the notes that link to it. Bringing it to look like this:

32b3f8c8-4a80-11e6-9db7-bc9c649c9fb9.png

You can read the instructions and get the app here: https://github.com/vitalybe/evernote-back-linker-2

The solution is Python based so it should work on all OS

Will check it out. Thank you for sharing. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...