Bug: Cursor jumps to top of note on autosave - UNBELIEVABLY irritating

So Evernote for windows updated to 6.2.1.3048 (303048) Prerelease yesterday, and it has a new (to me) bug that makes Evernote effectively unusable for note taking.

Every time the note Autosaves, the cursor jumps to the top line, column zero (upper left corner of the note), so if you're typing at the time, you end up typing at the very beginning of the note, often in the middle of a word. I've experimented with this - it appears to happen 100% of the time on Autosave. As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be any way of turning off autosave for notes. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about Evernote syncing - this is the note you're typing updating in the main Evernote window. I actually positioned the new note window so I could see the note list in the main Evernote window and I could see that the preview for the note updated at the same time as the cursor jump (in other words, autosave).

I did a quick experiment where I created a new note and then just started typing until the autosave happened to illustrate the effect. Screenshot is attached.

Please look at this ASAP - this is a showstopper bug for Evernote for windows, makes note taking effectively unusable. I'll have to take notes in Evernote web until it's fixed.

2016-07-14_Evernote_Cursor_Jump.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Zsolt.Juhasz said:

No, it is not fixed. I expierience it since today in the same Version mentioned above.

In the current 6.2.1.3089 (303089) Prerelease version? Or in the 6.2.1.3048 (303048) Prerelease version in the original post? Haven't seen it in the current 6.2.1.3089 version, and I've been using separate note windows all along. But that doesn't mean it can't happen...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Zsolt.Juhasz said:

@jefito: Thanks for pointing to the new version. :blink: I didn't got notified. I'll install and see if this problem ist fixed (for me)

Update: After installing  6.2.1.3089 (303089) - I can say: the problem seems fixed. Thanks!

Phew! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I have Version 6.1.2.2292 (302292). Tells me its up to date and no latest version is available, so unable to update. Evenote site only offers this version also.

The jumping is driving me mad and making it unusable!

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

What version of Evernote do you have, and what version of Windows. Evernote is currently past v. 6.4, and I don't think there are reports of this continuing to happen,.

Yeah, this does seem to have been pretty much eradicated, at least in the betas. I did notice one the other day, but other than that...

• 1 month later...

I have 6.5.4 (6.5.4.4720 to be exact) and it just started doing this today.

When I am typing in a note and the system autosaves, the cursor jumps to the top of the note but in the title area, not the note field.

This is the first day I've notices but it's also the first day in several weeks I've sat down with Evernote and dumped in a bunch of text notes.

YES omg this is happening to me too and it's super irritating! I pretty much can't take notes or do work without ruining my flow. I have the latest version installed. 

1 hour ago, KevinStirtz said:

I have 6.5.4 (6.5.4.4720 to be exact) and it just started doing this today.

When I am typing in a note and the system autosaves, the cursor jumps to the top of the note but in the title area, not the note field.

This is the first day I've notices but it's also the first day in several weeks I've sat down with Evernote and dumped in a bunch of text notes.

• 3 weeks later...

Good. I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one.

My cursor keeps jumping to the title line. 

Can't type a note directly in Evernote. Type somewhere else, like Notepad, and bring it in. Too darn bad. E is a fabulous app.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, mcilrath said:

Good. I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one.

My cursor keeps jumping to the title line. 

Can't type a note directly in Evernote. Type somewhere else, like Notepad, and bring it in. Too darn bad. E is a fabulous app.

Until it is fixed, I believe you can prevent this behavior if you go to Tools - Options - Note and un-check Set new note focus to title.

On 4/21/2017 at 8:48 AM, csihilling said:

Until it is fixed, I believe you can prevent this behavior if you go to Tools - Options - Note and un-check Set new note focus to title.

YES. Thank you, Guru! This works.

I'm having a similar issue.  However the cursor keeps jumping to the note title instead of the top of the note, while I'm typing.  It's happening all the time.  I'm currently having the issue with version 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public.

• Level 5*
On 5/2/2017 at 10:02 AM, Lonnie said:

I'm having a similar issue.  However the cursor keeps jumping to the note title instead of the top of the note, while I'm typing.  It's happening all the time.  I'm currently having the issue with version 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public.

• 3 months later...

I am having the same problem. The cursor keeps jumping to the top of the note and is so incredible irritating.

I don't know if it is because of autosave, but I experienced it in the previous version as well as in version: 6.6.4.5512 (305512) Public, which I updated in today. 

This bug / glitch is making Evernote so irritating and I have all my notes and work. 

I can't even imagine having paid and had this problem. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions, besides using the online platform? 

Thanks

Currently using 6.6.4.5512 in Win 10. Not only while writing in the note the cursor jumps to the beginning of the note, even when I click the tools and then options, it wants to stick to the first option.. same is happening when I want to click on other notebooks other than the top-first.

Please fix this issue, asap.

• 2 weeks later...

My cursor continues to jump 1 line above the paragraph I am typing. I tried the suggested setting change from csihilling and it has not helped.

This was occurring on the most recent version, and I am now trying the 6.7.3.5682 beta on Win 7 Enterprise. The glitch is still occurring. Any suggestions?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It sounds incredible that this cursing - pardon - cursor issue, reported during month in several threads by dozens of users, remains unsolved,  despite of several  updates distributed since (current: 6.11.2.7027).

I've really been appreciating Evernote for years, but now slolwy begin to doubt of the long-term reliability of this product and thus seriously begin to think of alternatives. 

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5

I just updated to the current version, 6.15, after holding out since v. 6.5 (though recently required to update to 6.7.6). Some version of this is still happening. Please note that I'm talking about the issue from the OP of this thread, about the cursor jumping to the top of the note body, not the unrelated issue of the cursor jumping to the subject field.

Autosave (set in Tools > Options > Note > Automatically save edited note every N seconds) does seem to be the culprit. Here's what I find:

1. Within the main Evernote program window, whenever I switch away from a note I'm editing to a different note and then switch back (with Alt + Left Arrow), the cursor jumps to the top of the note. According to the flyover on the autosave setting, "Evernote always saves your note when you switch to another window," which would explain this as being related to autosave. It does not happen when switching between notes that are displayed in separate windows.
  2. OTOH, with a note that has focus in the main window and is open in a separate window, editing in either window will cause the note in the other window to jump to the top. If I set the autosave value  to 900 (15 minutes), this seems to stop it--until the blue "needs sync" arrow appears in the Note List, and then the note in the other window jumps. It also definitely happens on a manual save (Ctrl+S -- just saving, not syncing).

So: in defined circumstances, the cursor jumps to the top of the note body when the note is saved, manually or by an autosave event. I hope that's precise enough to help with the fix! Especially since it seems to have been fixed, off and on, in previous versions.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

So: in defined circumstances, the cursor jumps to the top of the note body when the note is saved, manually or by an autosave event. I hope that's precise enough to help with the fix! Especially since it seems to have been fixed, off and on, in previous versions.

For clarity, there is a difference save and sync. Don’t know of a manual save other than switching notes.  Auto save saves the note but doesn’t necessarily sync the note.  Methinks anyway.   Do sync and auto save both cause the issue?

• Level 5

WRT "manual save": :blush: I could swear there was a Ctrl+S shortcut that manually saved the current edited version of a note to the hard drive, pending the sync to the servers, I guess so that in case of a crash or power outage between syncs you'd have your data. But no more; at any rate, in v. 6.15.3 there's no Ctrl+S in the keyboard shortcuts document, thought that's hardly a guarantee, and no Save on the File menu, where I think it used to be. And yet Ctrl+S does sometimes have the effect of sending the cursor to the top of a note, as described in my last post. Apologies for creeping old-age memory loss (which is at least better than memorable old-age creepiness).

At any rate.... Forgetting about the elusive manual save, you're quite right, auto-save does not sync, but it does shoot the cursor to the top of a note. Notes longer than one page being edited while referring to other notes will have to be edited in a separate window until this is fixed.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Apologies for creeping old-age memory loss (which is at least better than memorable old-age creepiness).

:D  Can't help with the Ctrl+S, never used it.  I have auto save set to 10 minutes so typically I'm out of the note before it has a chance to irritate me. 

22 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Notes longer than one page being edited while referring to other notes will have to be edited in a separate window until this is fixed.

I find when I switch notes in the main window I end up with the top of the note visible, cursor to be put where I like, never back to last part of the note that was in view.  Only way to be able to do that is to have the note open in its own Window as you state.  Some enhancement requests somewhere on the forum relative to maintaining last position when switching notes.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks, Cal. Honestly, that doesn't sound like an enhancement but a return to functionality--it certainly used to work that way, and I found the new behavior quite startling.

Not sure I have ever seen behavior other than going back to the top of the note when switching between notes. But my memory can be faulty as well.... 

Have not seen the auto save pop back to the top behavior, but have not triggered that. 

• Level 5

UPDATE: I've been speaking of this as the cursor jumping to the top of the note, but I'm no longer sure that's correct. The display of the note jumps to the top, but I don't think the cursor is anywhere to be found. In fact, what happens is that the note I've returned to is highlighted in the Note List, but does not have focus in the editor. In fact, there doesn't seem to be focus anywhere, including the Note List. I say this because pressing Tab or Shift+Tab does not move focus from the Note List to the note's subject field or to the search field or anywhere; usually, it generates an error sound from the computer. I've done File > Exit a couple of times, and get the same experience.

This may need a new thread, I don't know. I still think autosave is the proximate cause, but what's actually going on is very unclear. Basically: when I switch from one note to another, then return to the previous note with Alt + Left Arrow, the note is highlighted in the Note List, but there seems to be no focus anywhere. I have to click in the note to edit it. Does this happen for you, @CalS?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks for the confirmation! To me, this loss of focus when switching notes has to be considered a bug.

Two sides to that one.  I would as soon have it work the way it does today.  Not so much switching notes in my use case so better seeing the top off the note every time.

Definitely could be an option, take me to last place in a note each time I view it. 

• Level 5
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Two sides to that one.  I would as soon have it work the way it does today.  Not so much switching notes in my use case so better seeing the top off the note every time.

Definitely could be an option, take me to last place in a note each time I view it. 

Well ... if all you want to do is go from note to note looking at how they begin, not editing them or looking farther down in them, you can do a lot of that in the Note List. I'm not a fan of very long notes, but to work in notes that are longer than a single "page," the current functionality really makes it necessary to open them in separate windows, which can become cluttered. If this really is the intended functionality, it's disappointing, and I will have to do a lot of work in separate windows. I am 100% sure it didn't work that way in v. 6.5 or even 6.7.6, which (remember) I've been using till just now, so it's a very recent memory. In the immortal words of Sheldon Cooper, "I'm not opposed to change. I just don't like to be there when it happens." :) . But also :( .

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Well ... if all you want to do is go from note to note looking at how they begin, not editing them or looking farther down in them, you can do a lot of that in the Note List. I'm not a fan of very long notes, but to work in notes that are longer than a single "page," the current functionality really makes it necessary to open them in separate windows, which can become cluttered. If this really is the intended functionality, it's disappointing, and I will have to do a lot of work in separate windows. I am 100% sure it didn't work that way in v. 6.5 or even 6.7.6, which (remember) I've been using till just now, so it's a very recent memory. In the immortal words of Sheldon Cooper, "I'm not opposed to change. I just don't like to be there when it happens." :) . But also :( .

I sense your pain.  Don’t feel it though since the bulk of my notes are less than a page on a big monitor.  More scrolling with PDFs than anything else.  Now if the PDF would stay on the last viewed page, that would be something.  ?

Archived