Code Block in Evernote for Mac ?

Hi all - 

I primarily use Evernote for Mac (v6.7.1) and have noticed that there is a code block item under: Highlight Text > Right Click > Format > Code Block.  It doesn't seem to do anything though, which makes me sad.  I understand that code block formatting was introduced into Evernote web recently and it works great there..  I just tend to use the app more.

Does this menu item in the Mac app actually do anything?  Am I missing something obvious to be able to format code?

AR

2 hours ago, briancaldwell said:

It works when you highlight some content, then click the code block formatting tool.

Hmm.  Not for me.  It doesn't do anything.  

To clarify:  When you say the "code block formatting tool" are you talking about that under "Highlight Text > Right Click > Format > Code Block", or some other menu item (like an icon) ? 

Like I said, it works fine for me when I use evernote on the web, but not in evernote for Mac v6.7.1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello. I am also having trouble even seeing the code block option. Highlighting text and right clicking shows no such code related option. On the toolbar menu, under format > style, I see no such option. But when I add a code block using the web version of Evernote, it does show up as a code block on my local machine when I synchronize the notes. So I can see, but not create.

Is there a bug report filed for this? Or is this a feature that has been deprecated for some reason?

I am running Evernote Version 6.8 (453749 App Store) on Mac OS Sierra 10.12 Beta (16A294a).

Thank you,

Marcus

On 8/19/2016 at 4:14 PM, MarcusC said:

Hello. I am also having trouble even seeing the code block option. Highlighting text and right clicking shows no such code related option. On the toolbar menu, under format > style, I see no such option. But when I add a code block using the web version of Evernote, it does show up as a code block on my local machine when I synchronize the notes. So I can see, but not create.

Is there a bug report filed for this? Or is this a feature that has been deprecated for some reason?

I am running Evernote Version 6.8 (453749 App Store) on Mac OS Sierra 10.12 Beta (16A294a).

Thank you,

Marcus

Hi @MarcusC, welcome to the Forums!

You should be able to enable the Code Block feature in the application's Preferences:

• Open Evernote for Mac
  • From the menu bar, select Evernote > Preferences > Software Update
  • Check the "Enable Code Block" box

Preferences_and_Evernote_Premium.png

EDIT: If you are using the version of Evernote downloaded from the Mac App Store, you will need to reinstall to the version of the application downloaded from our website to access the Software Update tab.

I hope that helps!

Hi @BSR and thanks for the assistance!

When you posted that screen shot, it gave me a much needed clue. Turns out the version of Evernote (6.8 453749 App Store) that I had been using from the App Store on my MacBook did not display the "Software Updates" tab at all. So I hadn't been seeing that option. I downloaded the latest package (6.8 453748 dmg) from Evernote's website and installed it over the App Store version. Now I can see the tab and the "Enable code block" option. And code block is working successfully now on my machine. The only question remaining is if Evernote developers should be made aware that the App Store version, which is a later release according to the version number, is dropping the "Software Update" tab, so maybe they should move the "Enable code block" box to a different tab (I suggest "General")? Screenshots attached.

Best regards! - Marcus

Slide1.gif

2 hours ago, MarcusC said:

I downloaded the latest package (6.8 453748 dmg) from Evernote's website and installed it over the App Store version. Now I can see the tab and the "Enable code block" option. And code block is working successfully now on my machine.

@MarcusC wins!  I followed the steps he outlined and I can now use the code block feature in evernote for Mac.

6 hours ago, MarcusC said:

Hi @BSR and thanks for the assistance!

When you posted that screen shot, it gave me a much needed clue. Turns out the version of Evernote (6.8 453749 App Store) that I had been using from the App Store on my MacBook did not display the "Software Updates" tab at all. So I hadn't been seeing that option. I downloaded the latest package (6.8 453748 dmg) from Evernote's website and installed it over the App Store version. Now I can see the tab and the "Enable code block" option. And code block is working successfully now on my machine. The only question remaining is if Evernote developers should be made aware that the App Store version, which is a later release according to the version number, is dropping the "Software Update" tab, so maybe they should move the "Enable code block" box to a different tab (I suggest "General")? Screenshots attached.

Best regards! - Marcus

Slide1.gif

@MarcusC; the Mac App Store version is slightly different from the version downloaded directly from our website. While they both are functionally identical, the App Store version may have minor variations in UI elements/functionality (due to the software approval process for apps submitted to the Mac App Store).

In this case, there isn't a Software Update tab in the App Store version as that version is updated through the App Store.

Great catch, thanks for bringing this up! I've amended my original post to include this information.

On 8/22/2016 at 1:25 PM, BSR said:

@MarcusC; the Mac App Store version is slightly different from the version downloaded directly from our website. While they both are functionally identical, the App Store version may have minor variations in UI elements/functionality (due to the software approval process for apps submitted to the Mac App Store).

In this case, there isn't a Software Update tab in the App Store version as that version is updated through the App Store.

Great catch, thanks for bringing this up! I've amended my original post to include this information.

We understand, the app store version is different.  

What we don't understand, and what we'd like to have developers address, is why the app store version (therefore) doesn't support the code block feature.  Can't this preference be put somewhere else?

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, dec4106 said:

What I don't understand is why there's a Configuration option to turn the feature on / off???  

The Code Block was introduced in Beta testing, and Evernote gives us the option to turn these feature off if they become unworkable
afaik  This feature has proven to be stable and desired - we should soon see it out of beta

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/26/2016 at 0:48 PM, Daniel Serodio said:

I agree with @kingds, it makes no sense to display an action (Format > Code Block) that doesn't do anything if this feature has not been enabled. I am using the App Store version and from my perspective, there is an action that's completely broken, since Format > Code Block is a noop.

I second this. I just went through this whole mess – first confused as to why the "Format > Code Block" action didn't work, then searching around for a while before finding this thread, then going through the process of deleting the App Store version & installing the website version, and enabling the feature.

If it doesn't work in the App Store version, the option should not be in the menu. Period. It's terrible UI to have an option that's disabled / doesn't work and there's no way to enable it. If it must be behind an option then put that option in a preferences section that makes sense ("Software Update" does not), and add it to the App Store version, too – I can't imagine the app is being blocked because of that option/checkbox. And if the checkbox is not checked, then remove the menu option, or prompt the user to enable it once they've selected it. Don't just include a menu option that does nothing. The fact that this has to be pointed out – and that it hasn't been fixed after it was pointed out over 5 months ago, and present for over 11 months – makes me question Evernote's UI/dev teams' abilities.

15 hours ago, Mike Figueroa said:

It would be great if we could choose how a code block is formatted (i.e. font, background color, etc.)

5899796b19b82_ScreenShot2017-02-06at23_36_50.thumb.png.a026017f3f3b897cab94aed05d9a3e47.png

Just saying'...

Agreed. Or even better, syntax highlighting from something like pygments. I know, it's a stretch when we can't even customize the code block format; not to mention the basic code block we do have has been behind an unchecked preference for almost a year; but if Evernote wants Developers to use their app for their code notes, it's a must have feature. If Quiver finishes their iOS app before Evernote gets code syntax highlighting, there's going to be a massive exodus of developers – me included.

I've given up on Evernote for code note taking. Black-and-white code isn't very helpful, and not being able to set a custom format for it is too limiting. I've moved my notes into a separate project in SublimeText (my daily code editor). Each "note" is just its own file, and "notebooks" are folders. Comments I want to make are just standard code comments. Everything's easily searchable and syncs via DropBox. When using SublimeText in this way – with all my code notes in their own project, and my file list on the left – it mimics Evernote's functionality, while adding syntax highlighting in real time, and even includes code autocomplete. It would be nice to have those notes searchable with my other notes in Evernote, but it just doesn't work for code, so I had to find another option. Once I update my MacOS I'll probably move all my Evernote notes into the Apple Notes app (I'm still on Yosemite, which has the old Notes app, which is very limited, but the new version can compete head-to-head with Evernote).

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Johnny5k said:

I've given up on Evernote for code note taking.

At what point did you see Evernote as a tool for coding

I never did understand the "code block" thing, but Evernote would not be my choice

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

At what point did you see Evernote as a toll for coding

I never did understand the "code block" thing, but Evernote would not be my choice

Well consider Evernote is where I usually keep notes of all types – since that's the whole point of the app – it's where I would drop code snippets and write notes about them. Doesn't really seem like a stretch to me. You can drop in full web pages, formatting and all, so why not code? I realize it isn't the primary target for Evernote, but obviously there's an interest, as evident by this thread (and many others).

Besides, you're posting in a thread specifically about Evernote's "code block" feature – which they already include, albeit in a confusing, hard-to-use, and feature-incomplete manner.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Johnny5k said:

it's where I would drop code snippets and write notes about them

I also store code snippets and notes; I agree Evernote is a good place for storage

Yes, there's no syntax highlighting.  I either copy/paste or have an attached file, and I view the code in my dedicated editor app (Textastic)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

i came with the same problem and ended up in writing a microservice that uses a modified pygments for evernote.

http://evercode.level96.de/

it supports all languages which pygments supports.
http://pygments.org/docs/lexers/

You can choose between several styles like monokai, emacs etc.

It comes with no registration, just login with your evernote-account via oauth,
choose a style a filetype, paste a code preview and submit to your evernote account.
In the most case line number is fine, but in some cases it may look broken (Evernote Web-Client), so deactivate it.

Service.thumb.png.99683006d46780c19b89a0c349813f98.png

The Service doesn't store any data.
The main Logic is in the screenshot, the data is save in a django session, which expires after some hours.
You might login with evernote again if your session ends.

If you are interesst in the code or want me openSource it, just tell me.

Its completely free, so i don't guarantee for any availabilty, broken stuffs or SLA.

May it help you to get more productive with evernote and your code.

Regards

On 2/20/2017 at 0:25 PM, level96 said:

Hey,

i came with the same problem and ended up in writing a microservice that uses a modified pygments for evernote.

http://evercode.level96.de/

it supports all languages which pygments supports.
http://pygments.org/docs/lexers/

You can choose between several styles like monokai, emacs etc.

It comes with no registration, just login with your evernote-account via oauth,
choose a style a filetype, paste a code preview and submit to your evernote account.
In the most case line number is fine, but in some cases it may look broken (Evernote Web-Client), so deactivate it.

Service.thumb.png.99683006d46780c19b89a0c349813f98.png

The Service doesn't store any data.
The main Logic is in the screenshot, the data is save in a django session, which expires after some hours.
You might login with evernote again if your session ends.

If you are interesst in the code or want me openSource it, just tell me.

Its completely free, so i don't guarantee for any availabilty, broken stuffs or SLA.

May it help you to get more productive with evernote and your code.

Regards

This looks really good! Really clean design too from the looks of it. Well done, but I always prefer not to submit my login credentials to a third party site. Would you be willing to share the code?

• 3 months later...

I use evernote to take notes at work and copy code snippets I want to use or distribute to others.

I would also like the ability to block a section of code. I don't care about it being colorful. Just 'special' so I can find it quickly and cut-n-paste it into slack or something like that for the team to see.

like this here .... just sayin.

class Jo {
	constructor ( name ){
		this.name = name;
	}
	getName (){
		return this.name;
	}
}
module.exports = Jo;

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, ChickenBoo said:

I would also like the ability to block a section of code. I don't care about it being colorful. Just 'special' so I can find it quickly and cut-n-paste it into slack or something like that for the team to see.

I don't use it but why not use the code block feature594bdca2c4ae0_ScreenShot2017-06-22at08_04_41.png.f9fa21a814a829b3ad433e43933d0653.png

• 2 months later...

Same here. Missing the code block feature in every note. I'm on Mac Sierra 10.12. I first installed through mac app store and then uninstalled app store version and downloaded and installed from Evernote website, both versions missing code block feature and it's no where to be found. I'd would love this feature as I'm developer and have lots of code in my notes.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Where in Version 6.12.3 (455521 App Store) I could use code blocks on Mac Sierra 10.12?

I'm developer and I use Evernote to store my programming  code

I reinstalled Evernote but there is no feature like:

• Check the "Enable Code Block" box in Software Update
  • Level 5*
On 2017-09-26 at 1:32 AM, anKis said:

I reinstalled Evernote but there is no feature like:

• Check the "Enable Code Block" box in Software Update

I'm on 6.12.3 and I see this in Evernote preferences     59cbbd2c92b0f_ScreenShot2017-09-27at07_57_46.png.4f49522328c33f005b809a02d778939f.png

8 hours ago, anKis said:

Hi, it's some kind of magic

But there is neither tab “Software Update” nor option “Enable code block” in version 6.12.3 

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 11.50.37 AM.png

Hi anKis,

I think it's because you have the App Store version installed. I have a version direct from Evernote and my preferences screen is like DTLow's.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't know this Code block feature exists. I waste lots of time formatting my few CLI statements or code snippets in Evernote Documents. I'd love to see this feature added to the standard version of Evernote for mac. And if you do, please allow for a keyboard shortcut or some way to easily turn code formatting on and off without clicking through a menu.

thanks!

• Level 5*
On 2017-12-09 at 7:05 AM, jadster said:

I'd love to see this feature added to the standard version of Evernote for mac.

afaik  Code Block is a standard Mac feature5a2eaa0f7a6d4_ScreenShot2017-12-11at07_50_37.png.56fa1a075d6dcc7493ecd36a5e04853e.png

You may have to enable it in Preferences

• 4 weeks later...

Why is the "Code Block" option in the "software update" preferences? It doesn't seem to make sense there....

Is there any reason that the "Code Block" option can't be available in the App Store version of Evernote?

• 1 month later...
  1. This one is in "Beta" for 1.5 years at least at the moment. Whole software companies rise and fall during such timeframes and you are testing one simple formatting feature? I'm not even talking about the fact that it is available on Windows all this time.
  2. App Store version is different from Evernote from the website... WTF? Could you point this out somewhere? Simple formatting feature is a problem for App Store?
  3. Even though that feature is not a part of App Store version, yet the context menu has an option of "code snippet"... just why?
  4. I've downloaded gigabytes of updates for Evernote during this time not noticing much features/upgrades whatsoever. What are you adding all this time? (thanks a lot for "table" update at least)
  5. Every time I find out that Evernote doesn't live up to its promise  "to help remember everything", I go to this forum and find yet another thread where moderator/guru is saying that requested feature is "not necessary", "planned to be developed (in N years)", "you don't need it" etc.  @BSR you came here 1,5 years ago and provided a workaround. Given that this feature is still not implemented... something went terribly wrong here. Raise it internally, because the feature is basic and there is no reason it couldn't be implemented on Mac/PC/App Store for 1.5 years! The fact that EN team looked at it 1,5 years ago and the feature is not released yet, screams that Evernote team no longer is able to hear its customers.
  6. Alternatively, if improvements, new features and rapid development are no longer part of your strategy - communicate it clearly to your customers. So that someone like me, who was loyal for years, wouldn't be frustrated by lack of feature which is as old as text editors on PCs go.

Something is very wrong in Evernote kingdom. I know Evernote has at least 100 years , but I think Phil didn't mean what you guys are doing. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Ivan Klimovich said:

Something is very wrong in Evernote kingdom.

I don't know what your specific issue.  This forum is for assistance with technical issues; this discussion is for the Code Block feature (Beta)

The forum for feedback and feature requests is at https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/218-evernote-for-mac/ 

• You can add your vote to a feature request, or post your own request.
  • I did a brief look but I don't see any Code Block requests

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Ivan Klimovich said:

@DTLow you couldn't support my point better by posting such a response.

Obviously, I have an issue with formatting code in Evernote for Mac. And this is simply the first of many such threads on this forum.

Obviously, I have an issue that such a basic feature takes years to land in the product that I used to love.

Is your app the direct download version, 5a908f9b5b22b_ScreenShot2018-02-23at14_01_23.png.8f584976766701fb90bc244ad1717bab.png
and have you enabled the Code Block feature in Evernote > Preferences?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2017 at 10:23 PM, Mike Figueroa said:

This looks really good! Really clean design too from the looks of it. Well done, but I always prefer not to submit my login credentials to a third party site. Would you be willing to share the code?

Hey, 

thanks for the feedback.

i wrote a new version that works without any login-credentials. It exports an Evernote-Enex-File which you can import in Evernote.

Here is how it works

save-evernote.gif

here is the deelink to that tool

https://annoyingdev.com/save-code-with-highlighting-on-evernote

if you are interested i'm planning to make a youtube video how i created that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 2:21 AM, level96 said:

Hey, 

thanks for the feedback.

i wrote a new version that works without any login-credentials. It exports an Evernote-Enex-File which you can import in Evernote.

Here is how it works

save-evernote.gif

here is the deelink to that tool

https://annoyingdev.com/save-code-with-highlighting-on-evernote

if you are interested i'm planning to make a youtube video how i created that.

I just tried this out and it works brilliantly. Thank you. And a youtube video would be awesome.

Archived