Feature request: Shortcut to Datestamp and Timestamp

leo23co

Idea

48 replies to this idea

• Level 5
On 7/10/2016 at 10:29 PM, leo23co said:

Greetings.

I normally use evernote on my android phone.  It would be really useful to be able to insert the current date and timestamp by touching a button.  It would be a good feature to be able to select default format in evernote settings, and just insert date and/or time stamp by demand (hopefully not both at the same time, one button for each).  This feature should also be included in a new note using the widget (this interface for a new note is really poor, I use it to type a fast note but I usually need to write the current date or time stamp).

I hope you include this feature.

Regards.

Good idea. I've voted it up.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

For all those wanting to indicate support for this request, there are voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.
The current vote count is 0

Two solutions for datestamp

• The keyboard shortcut is command-shift-D on an external keyboard
  • You can use Siri Shortcuts to format a date and copy it to the clipboard.  You would then paste into your note.
  • Level 5*

Hi.  I use Phrase Express on my Windows desktop for text expansion and inserting dates and times (separately) into notes in any format.  PE had an Android version which I also used until my Android developed a bit too fast and left it behind.  There's a new Beta version here which may help... http://www.phraseexpress.com/text-expander-android.htm

• Like 3
hace 16 horas, gazumped dijo:

Hi.  I use Phrase Express on my Windows desktop for text expansion and inserting dates and times (separately) into notes in any format.  PE had an Android version which I also used until my Android developed a bit too fast and left it behind.  There's a new Beta version here which may help... http://www.phraseexpress.com/text-expander-android.htm

Hello. It was an awesome tip.  I've just installed PE and it works just how I wanted, and even better.  Now I can use it in any app.  Really useful.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Has anyone successfully gotten a text expander to work with Evernote's Android app?  I have not.

I've tried Texpand and PhraseExpress, and neither works with my Evernote Android app, not in the title or the note body.  Both work in other Android apps I've tried them with:  Google Keep, Google Search Bar.  I use PhraseExpress on my laptop, and I love it.  

I would save tons of time (and use Evernote more) if there was a way to use a date stamp.  Maybe there's some permission setting I need to change in Evernote or on my phone in general?  If it matters, I have Evernote for Android version 7.9.6, and my phone is a Nexus 6P running Android 7.0.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Sorry - I forgot that it's limited;  I only use the date in titles anyway.  Any chance you could start a new note for each task and link them by a common title or tag?  You wouldn't need a date stamp at all then - the created date would be all you require.  If you title your note XTask:... etc. (Phrase Express again) you could just search for intitle:xtask to get a complete list.

I use Evernote to make notes after client interactions - I have one note for each client containing their contact information and particulars and then have multiple comments from various interactions all in that one note so having a date-time stamp for each comment is essential for me.

Typically I insert a horizontal line, insert date-time stamp, make comments, insert horizontal line at bottom of comments.  Just like the old recipe card system I used back in the late 80's.  I have tried several relational data base type products over the last 20 years and this method, with the wonderful every word indexed look-up, is still the most effective means for me to record technical notes and find them again.

Evernote on Android has almost freed me from having to use my desktop - a menu option to insert a date-time stamp and a horizontal line would eliminate having to go back on the desktop and do some "clean up" work later.  i.e. more family time at the end of the day.

• Like 2

I did that yesterday Dave and then came back to rationalize why I want it.

I often copy and paste my Evernote notes into the clunky "super system" software I'm forced to use at my company (its' GUI is so 1980's it makes me weep).    On occasion I have to go back and present a summation of the client's application to trouble shoot an issue.  Time stamps are essential.  Evernote is a tool to save time and improve accuracy.

I too use Evernote to track time on projects.  On my MacBook and Windows computers, I can use a keyboard shortcut to insert a timestamp but, on my Android phone, I don't have that option.  Often I am hoping between tasks to a quick keystroke would be ideal.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Provided you only want the stamp in the title of your notes,  an app called 'Texpand' will do the job for you;  On my Windows desktop I use Phrase Express for the same thing,  and there is a mobile version of that too.  Not sure whether that's any better with Android.  (Texpand has a problem with the note editor that Evernote introduced for the body text and TexPand has no immediate plan to fix it.)

Texpand converts codes like '#1' into the current system date and time as you type.  PE does the same with a keypress.  There are also other 'automation' apps for Android like MacroDroid - which look pretty scary unless you are a tech-minded individual.  There's also a series of facilities like IFTTT and Zapier which can accomplish further automation if you need it.

- I've no idea whether the code mentioned by @Alesia Nik is usable anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Nope - me neither.  I raised a ticket with the developer who gave me more or less what I said above.  Evernote have used a Chrome-derived editor for the body of the note - this was changed so that all operating systems could (as far as possible) eventually have the same features. 

Unfortunately TexPand doesn't 'see' the content so can't change the '#1' into a chosen phrase.  It "wasn't possible" for him to change his app to fix the problem (or he just wasn't prepared to make any changes one user).  Maybe if more users asked him to look at it he might find a way?  Just sayin'...

I've tried so many work arounds for this feature, not holding my breath tho as I see this FR is almost a year old and there has been multiple discussions each year for the same feature. Here's hoping evernote will listen to its users.

• Like 1

I noted a couple of months back that there is now an option in Evernote for Android to insert a horizontal line into your note.

You can find it on the formatting bar (I'm not sure what to call it) under the note. There is an "arrow" on the right that moves the bar right and left to expose the various options.

Now if they could only add an "Insert Date Time stamp" to that same formatting bar.

Screenshot_2017-07-06-10-13-32_small.jpg

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@Carl-L-ND, many thanks for pointing this out! I've been using that version of the Android app for awhile, including the formatting bar, and I totally overlooked the line! I needed it just this morning, and had to copy/paste from another instance of the line elsewhere in the note (with the attendant copy/paste formatting issues). Never again! Feeling so "d'oh!" :blush:

WRT the original request, for a time/date stamp, I wonder if there is an Android OS issue that makes this harder to do. I realize that I don't have any other apps on my phone that can do this either (e.g., a doc editor, S-Note, Color Note). Are we asking something of Evernote that is not realistic on Android? If anyone knows anything about this (e.g., an app that does insert time and/or date), please chime in!

Can't believe this feature hasn't been implemented. I have had a bunch of issues trying to find an app that I can simply insert the date and time and then be able to write comments next to it. I just found this app and it seems to work really well. I have it set up in the app tray so I just swipe down, click the button, and then it automatically opens w/e app I want. Then I just paste the copied timestamp.

There's a free demo version which adds a second or two before continuing to the program after you copy and paste. The paid app is a bit over a dollar. I just used my google rewards to pay for it. Anyways, try it out if you'd like, it's exactly what I needed. 

Full App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=shhh.Apps.TimeShare

Demo App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=shhh.Apps.TimeShareTrial

• Like 1

Yeah, OP needs to say which client. As for myself, I use the Ctrl+; keyboard shortcut all the time, and am baffled why that feature hasn't been added to any of the phone apps (in my case, the Android app). You could add a button to the formatting toolbar, or better still, let me do it with a gesture.

It remains surprisingly hard to find and android keyboard app that is 1) trusted. Keyboard apps get to see everything, including all passwords and 2) lets me inject the date, time, or datetime stamp anytime I'm typing. So it would be a great help to have EN do this.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, John in Michigan USA said:

As for myself, I use the Ctrl+; keyboard shortcut all the time, and am baffled why that feature hasn't been added to any of the phone apps 

It's command-shift-D on Mac and IOS (iPad/iPhone/iPod)

I am a longtime generally very happy user of Evernote pro who is frustrated that this has not been implemented yet.  I finally found a workaround on my Samsung Android which covers the problem with the body not picking up most shortcuts.  It's clunky, and it costs $1.99, but the app it uses is very helpful in other contexts.  I use Clipper Plus by rojekti.  You can create a 'dynamic snippet' in there.  I create one or more dynamic snippets with the date and/or time format I want, place the clipper app on the edge for quick availability.  (If your Android is not Samsung, you may need to take a few extra steps for that part.)  Then, in the context of my note, I slide the clipper app to the pop-up view, select the snippet, and long click to paste it into my note.  Still quicker, formatted exactly how I want it, and less error prone than typing the date or whatever in the format I want.  Even better, it works in other contexts besides Evernote.  I would keep using it for other contexts even if Evernote finds a good way to address this.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, JoeMoo said:

I finally found a workaround on my Samsung Android

There are any number of 'text expander' apps that will insert dates and/ or times in any format at the touch of a key - including one I found recently that is a browser add-in.  I use Phrase Express which adds my dates in various formats with a keypress - "20200707 0243" for example;  and browser add-in Text Blaze where "/ d 8" (without the spaces) gets me the same.

(With Text Blaze you can also insert a date relative to the present. In 2 weeks, (says TB) it will be July 21, 2020; and in one month it will be August 7, 2020.)

• Thanks 1