Linux users: What's your favorite Evernote client?

• Level 5*

I know there are various articles/blog posts on this, but I find that online authors for tech-related subjects usually have very little in-depth info and are generally just skimming the surface as they churn out as many fluffy click-bait articles as possible.

We have a number of Linux users here, so I'd love to hear from you - which Linux client is your favorite and why? I'm looking to pick an EN client to run on Ubuntu.

• 2 weeks later...

Linux users leave Evernote, a good Evernote client for Linux does not exist, I tested all available solutions. If you can live with the Evernote web version is fine.

For me the best solution was to switch from Evernote to Synology note station, I imported all my notes in one click.

All my notes are on my personal NAS with an automatic backup on the cloud.

I'm a fan of Geeknote myself. It's entirely command-line based, and it does the job well enough for me.

GUI-wise, I used NixNote for a time, but I think I ran into a few issues with it and just decided to not worry about it.

I've been testing this myself. The web client is fine unless you have lots of PDFs in your notes. It doesn't display the PDF inline in the note. Instead you have to click on it and view it in another browser tab.

A solution is to upload your scans as images instead, if that's your main source of PDFs in evernote notes.

I have been using NixNote2 .....

I'm looking at Tantalus - Electron based Client for Evernote.
              I think this is the future

I'm looking for alternatives, but I would love to keep using Evernote.

• Level 5*
On July 6, 2016 at 6:51 AM, tavor said:

I know there are various articles/blog posts on this, but I find that online authors for tech-related subjects usually have very little in-depth info and are generally just skimming the surface as they churn out as many fluffy click-bait articles as possible.

We have a number of Linux users here, so I'd love to hear from you - which Linux client is your favorite and why? I'm looking to pick an EN client to run on Ubuntu.

I tried some of the clones long ago, but didn't follow through.  
These days I'm hardly ever accessing Evernote on a Linux machine, and I simply use a web browser. 

I have been using Evernote Web on all my computers and the Android app on my phone. Given the price increase for Premium, it would be nice to see an Evernote client for linux.

• 1 month later...

I use nixnote2. It is most similar to the application windows. I select a few notes and create the index. An interesting feature is also entering the name of a note, select it and the program will find and join the inner link (ie.quick-link). I can choose background colors notes, as well as edit the html code memo. In the system I have access to high-speed shortcuts. Dragging the mouse to the left or right can hide the navigation panels: left, notes or view. I miss the card view (similar to web applications) or function context. I would also be able to create graphical notes using a graphics tablet (also like a web application). Limitations of synchronization result that the less I use this version.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, yeremy said:

There is no decent Evernote client for linux. All of them fail, none of them implements all features and tend to have lots of bugs. The only decent client is Evernote Web.

And EN Web pales in comparison to EN Windows. Lack of a good EN client is one of the reasons why my foray into Linux was short-lived.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, jasonblewis said:

Evernote, please listen to your users and put some support into a better linux client.
or alternatively, put your focus into making the web interface the primary interface for EN

I think we all have to accept that Evernote is not currently interested in producing a linux client, but never say never

My understanding is that a new web interface is in the works, however by definition it will have a limited featureset
The client software, particularily Mac/Windows, will always be primary with more extensive features

My conclusion as Linux user : accept the idea that Evernote it's not a solution for Linux Users, and simply forget it.

Now I use (DS Note with my Synology NAS) you can import your Evernote notes. And as fast note taking I opted for Workflowy.

I respond on this forum because I was forgot to remove the reply notification.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 04/05/2017 at 11:48 AM, jasonblewis said:

Another option I've just discovered for Linux users is to use evernote under wine. I've just installed it and it seems to be running fine (but I've not done extensive testing yet). Just follow the instructions here:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34727

UPDATE: actually you can't edit the notes. sorry to get your hopes up.

Well that blows..  That's precisely what I was about to try.  There appears to be a few other false-hopes in the unofficial clients mentioned here so I'll skip them all.  I like KUbuntu because it frees me from distraction to focus and be productive.  It is simple and FAST, even on old equipment.  The fact that Linux does not run much software like say immersive games and all the other distractions on Windows, is the attraction for me.  Linux supports me to focus, with the added bonus of vastly improved security and peace of mind e.g. out of the box full disk encryption without needing TPM etc, less worry about malware and other hacks, and the endless 'data collection' by Microsoft, NVidia etc leaving us all feel like rats in a maze under a microscope.

I feel increasingly uncomfortable with syncin'g Evernote to non-encrypted machines.  That's an identity theft gold-mine right there.  Possibly enough to sell my house from under my feet with modest effort.

Woe to you Evernote.  I am sure you have lots of highly paid executives and shareholders to look after, but last time I checked, it's the customers that keep a business going.

REMEMBER THAT.

The road is littered with many a company that turned their focus away from customers, toward shareholders, executive cost cutting targets and pretty much everything else - except the customer.

And it would be fine to just cover one main variant e.g. Debian / Ubuntu.  I don't think the dev effort would be that high.

Archived