Do any of you save to Evernote AND external PDF's?!?!?

I'm sure other scanners do this too, but when I scan with my ScanSnap Manager, the SS Profile I'm using offers to save a PDF before it directs it to Evernote.

Now I love Evernote and hope it stays around forever, but it has made me wonder if I should use ScanSnap Manager's environment along with Evernote for the sake of not putting all my "eggs in one basket".  Am I being paranoid or do y'all think there is merit to this?

I'm guessing that this topic also applies to leaving PDF's in Evernote's Watched Folders too.  Basically, I'm talking about ANY saved PDF hierarchy ALONG WITH Evernote. (A lot more work to maintain, I'm sure.)

Thanks for any ideas and opinions! 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, BobbyEvernote said:

wonder if I should use ScanSnap Manager's environment along with Evernote for the sake of not putting all my "eggs in one basket".  Am I being paranoid or do y'all think there is merit to this?

I'm guessing that this topic also applies to leaving PDF's in Evernote's Watched Folders too.  Basically, I'm talking about ANY saved PDF hierarchy ALONG WITH Evernote. (A lot more work to maintain, I'm sure.)

Thanks for any ideas and opinions! 

This is more a backup issue than scanning or pdf

My backup process includes an html export of my notes to an external cloud drive
I have complete faith in Evernote; but I still have backups
Regardless of what happens with Evernote, I have access to my notes.

Each note is a separate html file.  If there are attachments, there is a "resources" folder
For example

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 1.20.34 PM.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, BobbyEvernote said:

I should use ScanSnap Manager's environment along with Evernote for the sake of not putting all my "eggs in one basket".  Am I being paranoid or do y'all think there is merit to this?

There is no right or wrong answer, I think the answer is personal.  If you sleep better at night keeping a backup in ScanSnap's environment or somewhere else, then do it.  FWIW, I'm content with just backing up my Evernote data.  I don't keep separate backups of the pdfs.

• Level 5*

I agree with the guys.  I back up my database,  not individual PDFs.  There is a side-issue though with Evernote's recent (and continuing) integration with Google Drive.  Since I'm also a happy Drive user,  I'm looking at storing PDFs that I don't need to be content-searchable in Drive as a way to slim my 15GB database file (windows) down and avoid some irrelevant hits in searches.  If you keep lots of PDF files around you're going to have to search for some fairly specific phrases to isolate one hit.  My car service manual forinstance (400pp) is something I consult occasionally,  but I don't want to find it in my hits when I look for other stuff.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, BobbyEvernote said:

Same as above.  I direct my ScanSnap output to the EN Import (Watched) folder for automatic import with the delete source option set.  So the PDF only exists in EN.  It is easy to export PDFs en masse from EN if you ever need to do that.

Archived