Only 2 Devices? Who's (Not) Leaving Evernote???

Michael808

Idea

So now I can only sync TWO DEVICES WITH A FREE ACCOUNT???  Last straw for me. 

You already stopped my ability to email notes......now limiting my device access.......or pay $7.99/mo??????

You'll obviously keep cancelling functions so now I'm done period, even free.

Anyone else??

48 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Mac/Andriod said:

I have no idea how to do any of this nor has evernote suggested it.  Evernote is not user friendly at all.

You might want to look at this   https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313438-How-to-recover-deleted-notes

and How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

The general Evernote guide is at  Evernote Guide.  

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Mac/Andriod said:

Will notes quit disappearing, or erasing themselves once you go to a paid account?

What is the lowest fee needed to prevent notes from disappearing, or erasing themselves?

I'm not aware of an issue with disappearing or self-erasing notes.  I'm sure it's not related to paid accounts; if you provide more details it might be possible to identify the problem

Let me see if I have this correct...

I have Evernote on my Work PC, my home office PC, my iPad, and my phone. Because I have only two hands, I am only ever using Evernote on one device at a time. Under the new plan, I can only have it on 2 machines at a time. Let's say, phone and work. If I decide to look at some thing on my iPad, I must log into Evernote on the iPad and DE-authorize the work PC. Then when I get to work, I must login and DE-authorize the iPad at home?

Do I have it correct?

NEXT questions:

I pad for an annual subscription about a year ago for a project I am working on. (I needed the monthly transfer cap upped.) Two questions on that:

1. How do i find out what plan that is? (Is there a link to account info in Evernote?)

2, Where do i find out how many devices can be running under whatever plan it is?

3. Can I share some of those folders with non-paid accounts?

4. If so, how?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just found out I have PLUS. With... 1GB uploads per month, Updated questions:

1. How many devices does PLUS allow?

2. If I share a folder with someone, will THEIR free account limit be their working limit, or can they use my extra upload limit because it is technically MY folder?

Thanks!

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, TheMagicWombat said:

1. How many devices does PLUS allow?

2. If I share a folder with someone, will THEIR free account limit be their working limit, or can they use my extra upload limit because it is technically MY folder?

1. There are no device limits on the paid accounts
  2. afaik    Any uploads they do will count towards their limit

I have been using a paid account (research), and a free account (what are the funky numbers on our bathroom lights at home). I think I am going to mergem into one, and then just share the research notebook with other people working on the project...

Hey! Wait! Do tags share on the notes? We have thousands of notes, and they are all tagged!  

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, TheMagicWombat said:

Hey! Wait! Do tags share on the notes? We have thousands of notes, and they are all tagged!  

The tags share along with the notebook

One issue users encounter is only the notebook owner can add new tags

Since i only use Text for my notes in plain text format, i think i will switch to SimpleNote App because it's free for unlimited devices and it works on all PCs, Apples, Androids, etc.

I only use text because Evernote is a HUGE memory and resource hog that slows down my computer big time.  (over 600megs of RAM! and i only use text!)

Evernote seems to delete some of my most important notes without my permission, so that is even a bigger incentive for me to USE SIMPLENOTE.

Also, Ever-note can't label a note automatically by the first sentence.  it always wants to use the location and this WASTES A LOT OF TIME.

And last, but not least, Evernote is not intuitive, it is NOT USER FRIENDLY... it seems to be designed only for the really techy folks who designed the app, not real-world people who can read their minds as to where the most important action buttons are to make the app do the thing you want it to do.  They should hire me to make it user friendly.

On 7/3/2016 at 10:58 PM, Michael808 said:

You already stopped my ability to email notes......now limiting my device access.......or pay $7.99/mo??????

Anyone else??

Yes, i think i'm SWITCHING TO SIMPLENOTE as Evernote is a pain in the but, even before this new extortion payment plan they came up with.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Mac/Andriod said:

I had a note that had all my wifie passwords which i use alot.  it's now gone and i didn't erase it.  I have a free account.  This has happeded to other notes as well.  How do i get it back?

I haven't had a problem with notes disappearing, but I've accidently deleted notes.

My solution was to retrieve them from the Trash notebook.  I also have my own backups.

• Level 5*

But (and even I'm getting tired of this now) - it's not "just two devices"!  I've been ignoring the fact that access via the Web doesn't count in those two,  so everyone has three anyway,  and you can always swop devices in and out,  so the guys with 4 or more can still play...

6 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

There are also several hundred wonderful videos on YouTube that are helpful.

Who on earth has the time to watch SEVERAL HUNDRED VIDEOS just to manage a few text notes?? 

This app should be so easy that anyone with computer training-101 should be up and running in about 30-minutes at the most. 

I have used DOZENS of apps for over 10-years, so i should be able to pick this up quickly, which is not the case.

Evernote is not user friendly and does not save time like many other apps do because it was not designed from the view point of the average user.

I do appreciate the advice though.  If i ever have time to watch all those videos, your suggestion is golden!

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Thx so much for the link.  Why didn't it show up when i searched 'disappearing notes' in the forum a few weeks ago? 

It shows that the evernote group is not user friendly not only in their GUI, but also in their data-basing search protocols.

Just now, Mac/Andriod said:

Thx so much for the link.  Why didn't it show up when i searched 'disappearing notes' in the forum a few weeks ago? 

It shows that the evernote group is not user friendly not only in their GUI, but also in their data-basing search protocols.

Seems to be a systemic problem with the Evernote Company.

On 9/3/2016 at 0:58 AM, TheMagicWombat said:

Let me see if I have this correct...

I have Evernote on my Work PC, my home office PC, my iPad, and my phone. Because I have only two hands, I am only ever using Evernote on one device at a time. Under the new plan, I can only have it on 2 machines at a time. Let's say, phone and work. If I decide to look at some thing on my iPad, I must log into Evernote on the iPad and DE-authorize the work PC. Then when I get to work, I must login and DE-authorize the iPad at home?

Do I have it correct?

Exactly this is my case. I'm keeping little reminders and todo lists on evernote. Sharing between phone, laptop, home PC, business PC etc. it's not worth it for me to buy an account for just this. But also connecting and disconnecting devices is not handy. Especially because I already have syncing issues with evernote because of having a note open on two devices at the same time. I'm thinking to go to google drive for this, using it as my dropbox and to share lists with people anyways. Any other tips?

I've been looking at alternatives for quite a while. I stll think Evernote is the best and nothing else comes close, the cost of Premium is high.

OneNote looks good, but the Evernote importer is rubbish, and it doesn't take much to consume the free data then one has to pay for more. I've wasted a lot of time trying to make it work, I think the MS aspect of it is at fault.

One rarely mentioned, is Together by Reinvented Software. it looks good, works well, is a one off purchase, imports EN data well and syncs well via icloud. I'm trialing it at present.

I tried Evernote out and can't even test it on all my devices before purchasing for multiple devices. What a load of rubbish. Google Keep for me ...

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Guest Vonic said:

I tried Evernote out and can't even test it on all my devices before purchasing for multiple devices. 

Of course you can test Evernote on all your devices.
You can have two devices running simultaneously, not counting web access.
For additional devices, just swap out the devices in your user settings.

For more extensive testing, you can purchase a paid account for a single month.

Guest Muhammad Ali Khan

Evernote is still the best. I use the apps on my phone and ipad, while I can login to the website on my laptop. I'm a college teacher doing a lot of research work. I do use OneNote on my desktop and have to put up with Microsoft's shenanigans---while paying for it. Whereas, my Evernote package is FREE. Thank you Evernote team.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Guest Muhammad Ali Khan said:

Evernote is still the best. I use the apps on my phone and ipad, while I can login to the website on my laptop.

You could swap out a mobile device for the client software on your laptop; even if it's only temporary.

The Mac/Windows platforms give you access to an extended set of features,

• Level 5*
On July 10, 2016 at 0:10 PM, lexushoops said:

So what alternative is there?  MS onenote?  Mac Notes?

10 minutes ago, dickreitz said:

The "alternative" would be for Evernote to offer the "free" functions to unlimited devices for $25 (one time fee) or $1-2/month! NOT an alternative program lexushoops.

A new account tier has been proposed but we've seen no indication Evernote will offer it

There are alternative services in current operation.  

You have decide what features are important to you and check if the alternatives offer those features.

You should also check the import options

- Apple notes has an import app on the Mac platform

- One Note has an import app on the Windows platform

• Level 5*

I'm not leaving Evernote
It remains my valued resource as a digital filing cabinet

The number of devices is not a factor for me
- If it was such a big concern, my solution would be to upgrade to a paid account
  That seems a no-brainer solutiion
As it is, I only have my My Mac and iPad; and occasional web access

• Level 5
On 7/3/2016 at 11:58 PM, Michael808 said:

Anyone else??

Even though I have over 30,000 notes in Evernote and pay for Premium service, I only use one device - my desktop.

Unlike some people running for office, I believe it is important to keep my data secured. Also, I don't have a bunch of armed secret service agents to protect me, so I no longer permit Evernote to run on my cell phone while I am out and around.

Hillary and Blackberry.png

• Level 5*
On July 3, 2016 at 8:58 PM, Michael808 said:

......or pay $7.99/mo??????

Did you know the Plus tier is  US$ 3.99 a month

Evernote has TWO extremely useful attributes for me: (1) syncing between all my devices, (2) ability to search all the notes and quickly retrieve material I need.

Most of the "new" features being added by the developers are not needed, or even WANTED, by me.

I would gladly pay $25/year just to keep and find data on all my devices (or $50 one time permanent purchase).

I will NOT pay $7.99/month (or even $3.99/month) for features I do not want or use!

I understand wanting to make a profit out of this software, but please give us a less expensive alternative! Thanks for listening/considering this.

DickReitz 

• Level 5*

<sigh> if I hear "only two devices" once more..  IT'S NOT TWO SPECIFIC DEVICES;  IT'S TWO AT ANY ONE TIME.

On 7/6/2016 at 1:21 AM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

The web version does not count against device limit. So when you really think about it you still have access to three "devices".

Will notes quit disappearing, or erasing themselves once you go to a paid account?

What is the lowest fee needed to prevent notes from disappearing, or erasing themselves?

On July 3, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Michael808 said:

Anyone else??

I have enough problems keeping my information updated& categorized. Evernote started out as a simple way to do this. Restricting my devices is unacceptable because it flies in the face of what Evernote started out as, and what it has evolved into. No. I will not pay to not have to restrict my devices. Evernote could care less, based on the number of "haves" that will gladly & painlessly take on another discretionary use of funds. 

I'm searching now for an alternative to Evernote. Too bad they ruined a good thing for the "have nots". 

• Level 5*
On July 23, 2016 at 6:22 AM, kshack88 said:

They keep limiting more and making the product worse, PLEASE show me an alternative somebody and I will smile as I leave Evernote behind.

One Note. Apple Notes, Simple Note  there are many choices
Do you need assistance exporting your notes?

I get an email from Evernote to tell me that my account (basic) evolves! I have only 2 devices. I think my account regresses, it does not evolve. Thank you for introducing me to one of your competitors !!! Stop laughing at us.

• Level 5*
On 25/07/2016 at 9:01 PM, Alain247 said:

I get an email from Evernote to tell me that my account (basic) evolves! I have only 2 devices. I think my account regresses, it does not evolve. Thank you for introducing me to one of your competitors !!! Stop laughing at us.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/97476-only-2-devices-whos-not-leaving-evernote/?do=findComment&comment=418312

On 7/28/2016 at 3:10 PM, gazumped said:

We get it.  You like to link to the same post over and over again.  Instead of doing that, maybe you should consider that people don't want to have to shuffle devices all the time and remove one to get another.  Especially when they didn't have to do it before.  Might not be a big deal to you, but clearly some people don't like it.  We can read the thread you don't need to clutter it with the same thing over and over

• Level 5*

Sorry to be wasting your valuable time,  but I figured that since people keep on posting the same wrongly based complaints - without,  presumably,  reading the thread -  1) it's worth correcting their miscomprehension,  and 2) a link is a lot less intrusive than quoting the same long boring explanation again and again.  ;)

On 7/4/2016 at 4:58 AM, Michael808 said:

Anyone else??

Moaning and whining about being deprived of all the things you were getting for free. It's quite pathetic to listen to all the bleating.

It's a fair assumption that all of you are either employed or business owners. How much of your work do you do for free? How many of your businesses exist simply to keep an unappreciative public satisfied while not generating any income?

Hang on while I count them on no fingers...

Businesses change, business models evolve and freeloaders move on. 

Good luck with OneNote - and thank you @gazumped for keeping calm amidst the chaos.

Archived