random certificate trust error?

This week, i started getting security alerts upon opening my desktop version of the app

this page requires a secure connection which includes server authentication.

the certificate issuer for this site is untrusted or unknown. do you wish to proceed?

i uninstalled and reinstalled the app. It wont even let me log it now, what is the deal with this rando error

this page requires a secure connection which includes server authentication.

the certificate issuer for this site is untrusted or unknown. do you wish to proceed?

thats what I see whenever I try to log in. there are buttons below asking me if i trust the certificate, cancel, etc. regardless of what i click, it doesnt log in.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, wsarradet said:

there are buttons below asking me if i trust the certificate, cancel, etc.

That sound like a web page,  so you're logging in via a browser and not using the installed app at all.  Do you not have an icon on your desktop/ home page?  Are you using a Mac or Windows 7/ 8/ 10?

@wsarradet  Hi there! A few other things you might want to take a look at:

* Can you please check to make sure you're not affected by this? See the section under 'What should I do if I'm affected?' for settings to check for. Evernote uses IE to sync through the back end regardless of your default browser.

* If you're on a corporate network, your IT department may have blocked the site and you might want to get in contact with them to resolve it.

* Do you have anti virus software installed? If so, please make sure Evernote is whitelisted.

If reinstalling and the above suggestions do not help please let me know, but hopefully it's one of those.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue beginning a couple weeks ago.   It starts somewhat randomly by popping up that certificate issuer is untrusted or unknown window.  You can agree to continue or not continue, even install an updated certificate, I've done all of those, dozen times.  I can't get rid of that window relentlessly popping up unless I kill Evernote.  I just restarted Evernote and it is running normally without issue at the moment and syncs without issue.  No telling when that pesky warning window will pop back up.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/14/2016 at 7:58 AM, nohb said:

@wsarradet  Hi there! A few other things you might want to take a look at:

* Can you please check to make sure you're not affected by this? See the section under 'What should I do if I'm affected?' for settings to check for. Evernote uses IE to sync through the back end regardless of your default browser.

* If you're on a corporate network, your IT department may have blocked the site and you might want to get in contact with them to resolve it.

* Do you have anti virus software installed? If so, please make sure Evernote is whitelisted.

If reinstalling and the above suggestions do not help please let me know, but hopefully it's one of those.

Does anyone have an updated link for this issue that @nohb linked to?  The link is dead.  I think I may have the same problem this thread is referring to and could benefit from reading whatever he posted to.  My issue only came up when I changed routers and am using Evernote without an Internet connection.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, pianoman723 said:

My issue only came up when I changed routers and am using Evernote without an Internet connection

Hi.  Is the app open on your device?  I think Evernote requires a connection to verify login (not tried for a while) and you may just be getting an error because a connection is not available...

Yes, it's only when Evernote is running on my Windows machine. I'm in a situation where I'm offline most of the time, but still connected via LAN to other devices in my house. When I do go online (via mobile hotspot) Evernote runs fine. But when I revert back to LAN only it starts throwing this error over and over. As I mentioned, I just changed routers. Before, I had this same setup and the old router worked fine without giving this error. I tried messing with some IE connection and firewall settings, but no luck. Any idea where I can find that article with the dead link? 

Archived