is there a home screen on the web?

Steven Avery

Hi,

Windows 7 question, using Firefox or Chrome or other.

I can navigate well in notebooks and notes, but when I am there and want to go the home screen, which is mentioned in the documentation, I see no obvious way.  Since I closed the program and then reopened Evernote on a note, the back button of the browser would not go there, even if I was there before. 

If there is a home screen, where is it?

Is it possible that the home screen, and home button, is only on the desktop client?  (I just downloaded the client and see it there, I really thought I saw it once on the web Evernote.)

Thanks!

Steven Avery

• Level 5*

Hi.  None of the Evernote clients have a home screen as such that would be useful to you - you can view notes,  notebooks,  tags in a variety of ways,  and search in all of them.  What is it you're looking to achieve on the 'home screen'?

I simply like the navigation view, eg. seeing the names of all the notebooks, while the notes for one notebook is open.

Some of the documentation talks of returning to the home screen, it was not clear that the picture they showed was only a desktop client pic.

That said, there really is no problem if that home screen is only on the desktop client.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't call that a "home page" as such, since it always displays exactly one note (or none eg if there are no notes in a selected notebook, or search).

Rather it's a layout with additional panels - which the new web client does not have, but certainly could.

In the old web client you could have a side panel listing all shortcuts, all notebooks and all tags - expandable / collapsible - as well as the list of notes in the selected notebook or search (including tag search). I think that should be brought back in the new web client. Would that meet your need?

Yes, it is sparse as is and that extra interface pizazz would help.   Perhaps some of the wording and documentation was written when the "old web client" had a bit more pizazz in terms of interface and the side panel made it more of a pseudo home-screen?

However, I am learning that any time I am at home on a Windows puter, simply to have an Evernote desktop pinned to the taskbar and only work with the web on a lark. I am quite happy working with the Desktop client. 

And having it nicely accessible on the ipad or android is very nice, especially little cut-and-pastes.  I do wonder if there is an auto-sync mode upon changes?  And do you always have to be conscious of syncing if you might be working on the same note in two places (granted that is the exception in my case).

==================

Some Evernote stream of consciousness.

I actually have a premium note where three people are sharing the signon to communicate together.  We had tried all sorts of project managers and kanban stuff earlier.  (Yes, I realize we may be nudging closer to a biz account, where I assume there are independent signons and settings, and the finances are quite a bit different, there should be a mode that is less than $12/month per person.) 

And I probably would have been an Evernote fan two-four years earlier if the original opening display had been more encouraging, it just felt sparse originally. I do use NoteZilla as well with some overlap and some distinctions.  Note: I have no problem with Evernote as a paid program or the Basic limited to two devices (does it count PCs?).  And the Plus option costing a few $ a month, i.e. if it is a mainstay note depository.. with various utility.

There is another question, mildly related.  Let's say I want to have two different Evernote accounts, (one is Premium one is Basic) being able to toggle.  Can I have two iterations on the Taskbar and simply toggle that way. Does Evernote stay "smart" on multiple instances?  How many, if so?

The idea of putting a new user into a non-Basic account is a bit vague as well. That might allow some dual usage, but I have not puzzled that out yet.

Steven

• Level 5*

It's possible to revert back to the 'old' web version in Settings if you prefer that,  but the desktop app is far more flexible - and still has no 'home' screen,  just the view that you choose.  There was a long post somewhere back in history (can't be bothered to find it) about how an 'uncluttered' layout is more conducive to productivity,  hence the lack of detail in the new web version.

(Sympathies with the off-putting nature of the interface though.  I used to use a desktop publishing app that started up with just a blank white A4 page.  No visible menus other than page rulers and a cursor.  When I found out how to call up different features it was great,  but my first 20 minutes was spent clicking a blank page randomly to see if anything happened! :))

If you log into more than one account,  beware interactions between the desktop app and EN Web.  It's possible to have one account open online and another in the desktop app,  but clipping will affect only one account - the web clipper will still be connected to the desktop account. (I think).  I haven't tried multiple EN web accounts at the same time,  but I wouldn't think that would end well.  If you do test it out,  please let us know the results!

If you have a premium account you can set up another account under 'Add another User' and switch between the two in desktop.  Not sure how much of that functionality is in the Basic account - give it a try!

I do think 3 people sharing a sign on is a recipe for disaster - why don't they just have their own Basic account and share a notebook?  There are some conflicting edit controls built into Evernote,  and if one person is editing a note,  another will be blocked (or at least warned to back off) until that edit is finished.  If "You" are logged in 4 times,  the system just thinks you're jumping between devices to edit the same note and will take whatever was edited last as the 'correct' version of a note.  All others will be lost - maybe to the history of the note.

If you need to have multiple accounts open at the same time,  I'd suggest just sharing one or more notebooks.  The only feature-not-a-bug that you need to look out for is that only the owner of an account can create a tag - but you can always have one note in a shared notebook that everyone can edit,  and just contains a list of tags that everyone agrees will be created on their account.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback.  

Since it is lightly used (maybe an hour a day total of actual input time from everybody combined and not that much overlap) the 3-people sharing has been no problem to date, but I do agree that it is a bit of kludge solution.

However the idea of using shared notebooks (i.e. pretty much every notebook would have to be shared) is interesting.  I tend to doubt that sharing notebooks gets by the new basic limitation of two devices (does it?) and the three people are definitely working with about five devices total. And the higher level has some other features, so we would in most cases need to have one higher account anyway.  

We are new, we are used to dealing with somewhat pricey collaboration tools, and then saying goodbye, and see no problem at all even with the higher pricing, except at the biz level, about which I saw some note about $10/mo per person instead of $20, which would be nice if it was not a synapse flash on my part.  Overall, Evernote has been a "hit" after many project manager and CRM and kanban sputter starts.

Since we have the higher account, (pro or premium) ,  I could try the sharing method myself, with my personal Basic account, and if it works, suggest it for the other two people involved.  Then they could function the same way but be doing it with separate sign-ons and a degree of locking, perhaps. Maybe a better history?  

The rest of the post I may have more thinking on later. 

I do understand the sparse thing, google of course has fought to keep their search screen simple as an example, the problem was that it was sparse even when I really wanted to know what the program does.   I was not taken to a Quickstart or a Feature Review, I saw it and said .. feh.  Now I know that it is a very solid structure, what I would call a 3-layer cake, Stacks (if desired) Notebooks and Notes.  And with a very visible and searchable index for the notebooks especially, and the visible element really is key to our usage, as long as you give say 10 notes in a notebook sensible titles and title the notebooks well, you can do the hierarchical navigation very easily.  This is where, e.g. google docs is a total failure, and why I searched for an improvement.  (Allowing that there might be some add-in somewhere that improves Google Docs.) Plus you can combine the two, using Evernote as the master organizer. 

Steven

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, RussellG said:

Jeez that's a lot of writing. I just want to know, if I'm sitting in a note on a web page how do I navigate back to the list of notebooks, stacks etc

Hi.  How did you get to your note?  If you opened it directly from a URL link that starts like this...  https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/nl/120918/c7 - all you have is that page.  There's no 'going back' from there unless you have a drop-down icon (inverted triangle) at the top right.  Click it if you have one and choose "go to notes". 

If you started at Evernote.com with a list of notebooks down the side of your page,  click 'done' or 'cancel' at the top right of your screen to go back.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RussellG said:

if I'm sitting in a note on a web page how do I navigate back to the list of notebooks, stacks etc

I'm using the latest web version, and just click on the Done button5a4f920489b79_ScreenShot2018-01-05at06_53_56.png.9580294ca17be3b5dff383cfa7b64da9.png in the upper right corner

Archived