How to turn off automatic emoticons?

I just typed :D in Evernote, and it changed into an emoticon. In fact, it did again right now. I don't want that, how do I turn it off?

• Like 2

Bump.
It's really painful to use Evernote Web now.

Hi.  What are you trying to type?  Try separating the characters with extra spaces like : ) so it doesn't transform..

There are work-arounds, for example, you can first hit space or enter, and then go back using the arrow keys to type the emoticon, and then go back forth with the arrow keys to continue typing. It's a pain, however.

This is a relatively new function, and it's one I can't imagine most people would appreciate, so I am of the opinion that there needs to be a way to turn it off. 

• Like 1

I try to type "8" with a ")" after it, as in 1) 2) 3)... and get some stupid face-like thing. I'm not in third grade. How do I turn this off?

It is now halfway through 2018 and this issue STILL hasn't been addressed? How many years/versions will it take before this infuriating behavior is changed? I am an adult, not a teeny bopper or "millennial," and I don't want to have play four-finger calisthenics to type a character sequence like "8)". This behavior is stupid, puerile, and unnecessary, and there should be a simple checkbox in "Options|Note|Note editing options" to turn it off. Are there currently any plans to make this simple change in a future version? As a Microsoft Certified Professional developer myself, I know that it is the most trivial type of change—a simple bit field that sets or clears a flag to modify editor behavior, exactly like the other options in that "Note editing options" section. So, when, please?  

Oh, it occurs to me that, like many of the applications on which I have worked, there may be a bug reporting mechanism for Evernote where this request might receive a prompter response. Is there? If so, where? Thank you.

• Like 1

Huh? I haven't had this issue in a long time.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:52 PM, paladin said:

Oh, it occurs to me that, like many of the applications on which I have worked, there may be a bug reporting mechanism for Evernote where this request might receive a prompter response. Is there? If so, where? Thank you.

Hi.  This Forum is the place to report bugs and raise feature requests unless as a subscriber you have access to Evernote Support on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new, (or https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if that link won't work for you.)

I don't use the web client normally - the installed desktop or mobile versions have more features,  and the web client has been largely ignored until recently.  Evernote seem to be introducing a new version - a complete rewrite of the code - so probably won't be supporting the 'old' web client anyway.  I'd suggest you try out the latest version when you have access.  There's more information via a link here:

Just typed ) : (without the space in between) and found it turned into a smiley. Word (at least 2016) provides a list of character combinations it will turn into someting that you can empty out. I'd expect either that in Evernote, or a simple on/off switch as previously requested.

Yeah has anyone found how to stop this? Im trying to type " D: "and currently have to use the "four finger calisthenics" as mentioned earlier. I never use emojis. Please let me send them away. 

How is this still a problem? It's been 3 years, EN has tried to pivot to be an enterprise product, and yet some how they still think I want emojis instead of what I type? Need to type the D drive? 😧  Need to have an eighth list item 😎 ?  Need to type out some code? fn( val 😞 Then Evernote is NOT for you...

This is exactly the kind of juvenile bro-gramming kind of decision that Evernote has been making for the last few years that makes it something I'm embarrassed to recommend to colleagues. 

7 hours ago, Saven said:

How is this still a problem? It's been 3 years, EN has tried to pivot to be an enterprise product, and yet some how they still think I want emojis instead of what I type? Need to type the D drive? 😧  Need to have an eighth list item 😎 ?  Need to type out some code? fn( val 😞 Then Evernote is NOT for you...

This is exactly the kind of juvenile bro-gramming kind of decision that Evernote has been making for the last few years that makes it something I'm embarrassed to recommend to colleagues. 

This forum - which is not powered by Evernote - does the conversion for me,  where both version of Evernote Web do not. 

As a subscriber you're perfectly entitled to raise a support request if you're having issues - maybe sharing your individual device details,  OS and browser/ Evernote versions with Support will help you find a fix.  Given the limited number of posts here I'd say this is not something that affects a majority of users.