• Announcements

• Shane D.

Evernote Business Beta - Spaces   12/20/2017

We're very excited to announce the public beta of an upcoming rework for Evernote Business! To learn more, go Here
    • Shane D.

2018 Evernote Webinars   01/04/2018

To kick off the new year, we're excited to announce our  updated schedule for our series of webinars! Please check the events calendar to see which one works best for you!
    • Shane D.

Upcoming Forum Change Announcement   02/14/2018

Hi All! You may be seeing some changes with overall organization and layout of the discussion forums. You can learn more by going to the 'Upcoming Forum Change Announcement' in the 'Community Announcements' sub-forum!  
gbarry

Changes to Evernote's Pricing Plans

Beginning today, the prices for our Plus and Premium tiers will change for new subscriptions, and access from Evernote Basic accounts will be limited to two devices. Current subscribers and Basic users who are using more than two devices will have some time to adjust before the changes take effect. If you are impacted, look for a message from us in the coming days.

See the entire post from Chris here.
For more information about these changes, see our FAQ
For information on how to manage your devices, see our Devices FAQ

UPDATE: 

We're seeing a lot of questions revolving immediately around device management (please check the FAQ above for all device related info). The app will automatically walk you through the process of choosing the devices you want to keep and which ones you want to revoke when you receive the in-app notification about changes to Basic. 

If you want to choose your devices now instead of waiting, you can do so by going to https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action and logging in to your account.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SFnLS said:

Slowly but surely starting to price yourself out of the market. Not good timing given the improvements being seen in competitive products. 

Yeah but the competitors make money elsewhere, like selling hardware (Apple), ads (Google), software (Microsoft).  Their pricing is quite reasonable. Looking at other services, they don't charge very much.  Slack has a free tier and paid tier, the paid tier is $10/user/month (~ $120/user/year).  HipChat at Atlassian is $2/user/month.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, J Dubbs said:

Yeah but the competitors make money elsewhere, like selling hardware (Apple), ads (Google), software (Microsoft).  Their pricing is quite reasonable. Looking at other services, they don't charge very much.  Slack has a free tier and paid tier, the paid tier is $10/user/month (~ $120/user/year).  HipChat at Atlassian is $2/user/month.

I think I read the increase is for new users...so I think you won't see this price increase.

If that's the case, they'd be wise to state this explicitly. I re-read the announcement and I think you might be right. But it's really not clear.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, joshserrano said:

Same here. Limiting to two devices is insane.

Why?  You can still use it on the web.  So in essence you really aren't limited at all...unless you choose to be. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, elis65 said:

Just (some days ago) renewed the Premium after a while of free account. Now, after this announcement I have a big question: is Evernote in good health? Is it safe to put our efforts to fill our space with contents, thoughts and documents? Please, help! Reassure us!

The CEO did an interview a month or so back and said the company was cash flow positive. The desktop apps let you export your notes that is able to be imported elsewhere. So I don't think your efforts in Evernote will ever be lost even if Evernote falls.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tracey Smith said:

Don't let the door hit you...geez.

Even with the 2 device limit on free accounts you can still log in and use Evernote web.  If you are that invested in the product data wise then just cough up some dough for a membership...otherwise have fun with Microsoft *****. 

My biggest concern here is android.  I use "share" to evernote a lot from my android devices, much like I use Web Clipper.  Web Clipper is not included in the device limit. But the android device doesn't have a save only clipper ability. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bbenz said:

If that's the case, they'd be wise to state this explicitly. I re-read the announcement and I think you might be right. But it's really not clear.

I agree and it is a good point that competitiors make money via other avenues.  Personally I think there is NO competition from products like one note.  I get the full One Note Product (all the bells and whistles) free via my employer and STILL prefer Evernote.  Do I like the amount of the price increase...NO.  Am I gonna jump ship and move all my stuff elsewhere because of it...also no.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, J Dubbs said:

The CEO did an interview a month or so back and said the company was cash flow positive. The desktop apps let you export your notes that is able to be imported elsewhere. So I don't think your efforts in Evernote will ever be lost even if Evernote falls.

Thank you!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sc44 said:

My biggest concern here is android.  I use "share" to evernote a lot from my android devices, much like I use Web Clipper.  Web Clipper is not included in the device limit. But the android device doesn't have a save only clipper ability. 

I have android phone and tablet and actually never use the clipper on there (even though I'm premium and can).  You can still email content into Evernote and on my S6 that seems to be the fastest option for me anyway and works great.  

1 minute ago, Tracey Smith said:

Don't let the door hit you...geez.

Even with the 2 device limit on free accounts you can still log in and use Evernote web.  If you are that invested in the product data wise then just cough up some dough for a membership...otherwise have fun with Microsoft *****. 

I don't use it enough to pay  for a premium account. I have multiple devices that I use as do most people desktop or two, laptop, tablet, and phone. I may clip one clipping per month from each device. I dont use it to store my life just things just things i want to open later, most likely on another device then delete.

• Like 7

Just now, DTLow said:

Maybe, they are going to lose a lot of users who don't pay for the service

but these users would have potentially become premium users. As I was.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, joshserrano said:

but these users would have potentially become premium users. As I was.

That is the point of the "Freemium" model, but my impression is that many users are not using this to test the service - they simply don't intend to pay, now or ever

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RichardM said:

I now rely on Evernote a lot, which I guess makes me a captive market and thus Evernote can assume I'll just have to pay the increase. Migrating out of a product like Evernote is damn near impossible, I would have thought. (Anyone know of a good migration tool to, say, OneNote...?)

I very much want to stay with Evernote but given the 40% price increase (this time) I will have to seriously consider dropping from Premium to Plus. Can anyone clarify exactly what functionality I would lose - it's not clear to me from the 'plans' page.

From the Evernote blog post...this does a pretty good job of showing the differences.  I've been looking at it to see if I'd be able to downgrade as well.  As a teacher I don't make tons of money, but I DO use many of the premium only features so I'm thinking downgrading won't work for me.  At least my renewal date isn't until March...gives me time to mull things over and decide how I want to handle things. 

Evernote Plus
$3.99/month or $34.99/year (save 27%)

To stay in sync across all your devices, consider Evernote Plus. You’ll also enjoy the ability to take notebooks offline on a mobile device, so your notes will be with you wherever you go, even when there’s no Internet connection. You can forward emails into Evernote and keep them alongside related notes, complete with attachments, and 1 GB of upload space each month means you can keep all your projects together.

Evernote Premium
$7.99/month or $69.99/year (save 27%)

Get the full power of Evernote with Evernote Premium, a set of tools designed to help you go paperless and take ideas into action across all your devices. Find text buried inside Office docs. Annotate PDFs. Discover connections between notes, turn business cards into phone contacts, or present your work with one click. Premium includes 10 GB of monthly upload space, and you have all the benefits of Plus and Basic, too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rlobrecht said:

I agree that $45 to $70 is a huge jump for premium users.  I'll have to watch over the next months to see if I can switch down to Plus from Premium.  I can't imagine that a $10 a year drop is the effect they are looking for.  I would have understood a $10 price increase, but $25 is huge.

My feelings too - I will be downgrading to Plus
However, I still think Evernote is a great product/service, and I'm still willing to pay.

If I needed the premium features, I would pay the increased rate.

A plan comparison can be seen here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157-Which-Evernote-product-is-right-for-me-

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, RichardM said:

Migrating out of a product like Evernote is damn near impossible, I would have thought.

I'm not encouraging it, but that is one feature I know Evernote has.  Using my Mac; I can easily export my notes.  I use this as part of my backup process and have a copy of my notes in html format on a cloud drive

• Like 2

I don't see the new price in € but seeing that the increase for the Plus plan in $ is a hefty 40% I will think a lot if renew my subscription next year, time to look alternatives

• Like 7

Outline is another app that works with Onenote if you want it to.

I like others think this increase is too much given that there are minimal improvements taking place with Evernote.

we are told that they have improved the web interface to make it cleaner but is hardly noticeable. I think the problem here is that they are not listening to what their customers want.

if you look at the forums there are many requests for improvements that are just ignored.

what are we going to see for this increase?? 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Oletros said:

I don't see the new price in € but seeing that the increase for the Plus plan in $ is a hefty 40% I will think a lot if renew my subscription next year, time to look alternatives

The regional pricing is available for you via the normal link - so I see my prices in sterling https://evernote.com/pricing/

6 minutes ago, robinnj said:

Outline is another app that works with Onenote if you want it to.

I like others think this increase is too much given that there are minimal improvements taking place with Evernote.

we are told that they have improved the web interface to make it cleaner but is hardly noticeable. I think the problem here is that they are not listening to what their customers want.

if you look at the forums there are many requests for improvements that are just ignored.

what are we going to see for this increase?? 

This is a very valid point! If they are going to say ADD VIDEO to the service that I can clip or save to a note, that might ease the pain of the increase, but even with that... my pricing shouldn't increase. Netflix just went up a dollar and I almost lost my mind.

• Like 3

I understand that to many users the $25 upcharge sounds ridiculous, but really, $25 more a year for the level of quality and service we all get from Evernote is more than reasonable. I have thought for several years that they were way underpriced. Anyone using premium already can afford the $25/year, come on. Yes, it's a shock and leave if you want, but stop the whining, please! 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That is the point of the "Freemium" model, but my impression is that many users are not using this to test the service - they simply don't intend to pay, now or ever

This is because is sufficient to me atm, I use it as an archive, and the most prominent feature I use is full sync everywhere, since I never touch the free tier limit I'm not compelled to upgrade, so evernote now tries to force me to upgrade to an insane price only for sync

• Like 3

What will a company like Apple say to your basic feature list? They want to sell iMac, iPhone and iPad! This is now the point for me to look for other apps. Now I know why tablet market is shrinking and with your decision for using only 2 devices even more... One day you want to get money from all users, when they don't have the chance to change.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, argosan said:

I understand that to many users the $25 upcharge sounds ridiculous, but really, $25 more a year for the level of quality and service we all get from Evernote is more than reasonable.

Sorry but here is one user that disagrees.  I'm a long time premium user and felt that the price vs value was about right at the current price, but at least for me, it isn't at $70 unless that start adding some useful additional features such as encrypted notebooks.  If nothing of substance is added by the time for me to re-up then I will be dropping down to Plus.  

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Sorry but here is one user that disagrees.  I'm a long time premium user and felt that the price vs value was about right at the current price, but at least for me, it isn't at $70 unless that start adding some useful additional features such as encrypted notebooks.  If nothing of substance is added by the time for me to re-up then I will be dropping down to Plus.  

Add another one that disagrees. I previously mentioned that I'm unable to use Evernote much anymore due to corporate policies which prohibit my use of Evernote to store notes for work. At home, I run a Linux system. While there are compatible apps, as well as the web version. they do not have the same features as the desktop clients on Windows or Mac.

$70 for a less powerful web version and an Android app is way too much to ask for the value I get out of it at this point.

Sure, I could stay subscribed to support Evernote, but it's not worth it for me at this point. I'm not even sure that Plus is worth it for me given what I have to work with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tracey Smith said:

Why?  You can still use it on the web.  So in essence you really aren't limited at all...unless you choose to be. 

Last time I looked, you can't use Evernote web from mobile. So with two tablets and a phone, and a computer, Evernote (free) does indeed limit me. It is of little use if I can't take notes with the device at hand.

• Like 7

Still worth it at $70/year.  I'd pay $100/year for premium before using that garbage Onenote from Microsoft.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, lucac81 said:

I disagree, and i'm giving onenote a shot https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

If it works well I even deactivate my evernote account, they can do whatever they want with their product 

You're welcome to do that.  I hope you don't mind Microsoft selling your information from their "free" software.

• Like 1

Yea, us Premium subscribers are getting hit pretty hard.  I love Evernote and have been a subscriber for years.  But that is a huge jump.  Considering both my wife and I have Premium subscriptions, that may change in the future.  I recommend it to everyone and have gotten a lot of friends using it, but that is a pretty big jump.

I have a year to see how this plays out as I just recently renewed both of us for a year.  As much as I love it, we won't be paying a combined $140 a year for a note taking app though.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

You're welcome to do that.  I hope you don't mind Microsoft selling your information from their "free" software.

What informations does Microsoft sell?

• Like 1

Just now, mdk1 said:

The same goes for google or facebook or twitter, or you aren't using any service from them?

At least I still can use it without giving a leg for nothing (apart from sync that they removed, which evernote feature is worth $70/year?)

And it depends on which information you think they are selling

9 minutes ago, lucac81 said:

I disagree, and i'm giving onenote a shot https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

If it works well I even deactivate my evernote account, they can do whatever they want with their product 

Can you update this thread after you try OneNote? As I posted above, I tried it and it didn't go that well for me. But if you have a better story - with OneNote or any other note-taking program, would you mind letting us know here? I'll do the same. :)

I've been using Evernote premium at least five years, but I also have OneNote from my Office 365 subscription.  This price increase is too much!  I just ran the Evernote to OneNote converter to see if I can tolerate the switch or not.  Evernote - you may want to reconsider this change for existing Premium subscribers!

• Like 6

Hmmm I'm a pretty heavy user and my life is now largely based around Evernote  -- Even at this new price point I find it a good value so I'll continue my current plan (Premium)

It's clear from this change that the company has moved from 'growth' to 'harvest', nothing wrong with that and they will lose people as part of transition but hopefully (for them anyway) they come out 'ahead' in terms of revenue. (my guess is that growth had slowed down anyway, they really haven't published any subscriber numbers for a long time)

I can see people being upset at price increases but really either you find it useful in which case the new price structure is still reasonable value or you abandon it to one note in which case you didn't find it that valuable to begin with.

• Like 4

I love evernote and have invested heavily (own the scanner and have paid for premium for 3 years).  I felt the 40$ a year was steep for premium but manageable from my end (especially given that all I care about is searching inside PDF files).  Raising this much feels like gouging.  It also seems to communicate that the company is struggling and needs to fleece it's users for more money.  Feel a little held captive on this...

• Like 7

Evernote emailed me offering premium at 50% discount.

They are trying hard to keep custome

2 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Can you update this thread after you try OneNote? As I posted above, I tried it and it didn't go that well for me. But if you have a better story - with OneNote or any other note-taking program, would you mind letting us know here? I'll do the same. :)

Sure, I'm in the process of migrating using their migration tool https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote 

I'll update this thread when I get a grip of the tool.

BTW evernote mailed me a 50% discount to upgrade to premium for a year because of the limitations they are introducing.

I think that this should be the price for their first tier (It's 30€/year) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

The regional pricing is available for you via the normal link - so I see my prices in sterling https://evernote.com/pricing/

Ah,  yes. Now that I can see the sterling price I am not so concerned about the price increase for Premium. In sterling the new prices are £29.99 for Plus and £44.99 for Premium. That is a £10 increase on the current price (<30%) for Premium which is still steep, but closer to what I find acceptable. 

3 minutes ago, loghound said:

Hmmm I'm a pretty heavy user and my life is now largely based around Evernote  -- Even at this new price point I find it a good value so I'll continue my current plan (Premium)

It's clear from this change that the company has moved from 'growth' to 'harvest', nothing wrong with that and they will lose people as part of transition but hopefully (for them anyway) they come out 'ahead' in terms of revenue. (my guess is that growth had slowed down anyway, they really haven't published any subscriber numbers for a long time)

I can see people being upset at price increases but really either you find it useful in which case the new price structure is still reasonable value or you abandon it to one note in which case you didn't find it that valuable to begin with.

Well there is also a third way.

I find evernote valuable and I'm ok with their basic plan, I've never hit the monthly limit (the only need to upgrade at the time of my registration) I've bought the evernote moleskine and never redeemed the 3 month subscription code included. so I'm a little pissed of about the sync limit that they introduced

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, lucac81 said:

The same goes for google or facebook or twitter, or you aren't using any service from them?

At least I still can use it without giving a leg for nothing (apart from sync that they removed, which evernote feature is worth $70/year?)

And it depends on which information you think they are selling

Note using them, not even google's search engine. If you don't mind Onenote selling your information or having access to your notes, that's all the better for you that you can use their "free" service:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Privacy-Statement-for-OneNote-079048BF-34E7-4921-9030-4698496BA82F

2 hours ago, Tracey Smith said:

Because their web portal is awful; that's why we've all been using the native applications in the first place.  Seriously, I could live with the upload limits, but the two-device limitation is a non-starter.  Goodbye, Evernote.  Don't let your imminent bankruptcy or cheap sale to Yahoo keep you up at night.

• Like 3

Amazing - the current yearly price is grandfathered in for renewals before August 15, 2016. My renewal is in September. Reminds me of when I subscribed for a year two weeks before a premium promotion, and was told I didn't qualify or couldn't add time onto my subscription at the lower price!

Looks like I'm "renewing" to OneNote now. Anyone know if they refund any money if you cancel mid-year?

I wonder how much more revenue will be generated by this increase versus how much they will lose from users like myself leaving permanently...

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

Note using them, not even google's search engine. If you don't mind Onenote selling your information or having access to your notes, that's all the better for you that you can use their "free" service:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Privacy-Statement-for-OneNote-079048BF-34E7-4921-9030-4698496BA82F

You keep repeating selling information, do you have any source to back your claim?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Oletros said:

You keep repeating selling information, do you have any source to back your claim?

See the literal link that you just quoted. 

3 minutes ago, jefito said:

Two productivity aids:

• Coffee: estimated yearly cost $800
  • Evernote Premium: yearly cost $70

Didn't need my afternoon double espresso to figure this one out...

Nicely done, but you may be spending too much on coffee.  ;)

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

See the literal link that you just quoted. 

The literal link you quoted doesn't say nothing about SELLING information. Do you have any source or you're just inventing that. And the same for Google, do you have any source or you;'re just spreading FUD?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

Nicely done, but you may be spending too much on coffee.  ;)

Life's too short to be drinking bad coffee (it's almost all espresso or, if at home, Aeropress)...

• Like 3

Due to some company security and privacy policy changes i had to convert some 500 notes in 4 books. Lost formatting, lost tagging, had to rework structures.

Some of the features you will lose when switching to OneNote: 

• Free tagging. No such feature. Tags have to be defined before you use them
  • Automatically scanned and searchable pictures: Click the picture and trigger the scan
  • Combine notes? Copy/Paste
  • Turn a note into a presentation? As far as i know not available
  • Snap a website - and get surprised by the result.
  • Add a site as bookmark? Add What? 
  • Add Article as simpl.. you guess it. 

Calculating the ramp up - that's one crate of some premium beer - or one 1 l bottle of Jack - or 2 times McD with an extra, guess you get the point. 

• Like 7

Ugh. The only reason I have the premium membership is to annotate PDFs. I hardly use any of the other features at that tier, and likely won't be able to justify spending THAT much for just that feature. Super disappointing.

1 hour ago, Bob in NV said:

Last time I looked, you can't use Evernote web from mobile. So with two tablets and a phone, and a computer, Evernote (free) does indeed limit me. It is of little use if I can't take notes with the device at hand.

I can use Evernote Web on both my iPad and iMac.
Not the greatest experience - I prefer the client software

34 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

yeah yeah, sure your data is safe because you use only evernote

Is there a way to look at historical data usage? Based on my use of the product (Premium for 6 years), the only significant difference between Premium and Plus is the extra 9GB. In this month, I've used 1% of my data, so I'm well into a safe zone, but I've had months with higher data usage. 

Secondo me siete impazziti... 25% in più per Evernote Premium? E per cosa? Per qualche funzione in più che non va oltretutto? Ma sistemate a dovere prima tutto ciò che non va. Gratis. Che abbiamo già pagato anche troppo. Se invece state fallendo, ditelo così spostiamo tutto...

Import ended:

ATM the tool left out 4 of 551 notes, but said which ones so no big deal

The layout is very different (at least in the windows 10 app) and needs some times to be learnt but all my data is still there, so time for some housekeeping :)

Optimism aside, I think I will need a couple of week to sort it out but can be done :)

Was it worth it? for me absolutely, I could have simply paid for the plus subscription, only to be in the corner again next time evernote puts out some other ***** like this one.

Sorry, evernote it's good, but not worth my attention anymore

• Like 3

my email says the increase happens  soon

This change will take effect on your first subscription renewal after August 15, 2016.

i wonder if this will mean more response to issues.. i have given up putting in tickets for things that dont work.  but with this increase i will. 

i too am really annoyed at the cavalier treatment of LONG TIME users.  i have been with Evernote for over 10 years ... easily - pretty much since they started.   i have loved it and have paid the increases.  of course i have also been VERY annoyed at the LACK of customer support (i manage customer support for a software company !)  it has always irritated me that the emphasis has been on tricks and things but not the meat - and i gave up on ever getting solutions for problems. 

I too have recommended EN to lots of people.  

I am VERY UPSET that long time customers have not been offered 

1 a discount for at least one year and possibly more (if purchased at the same time)

2 a chance to change and renew an annual subscription before aug 16 - and that is barely a months notice of a major price and policy change. 

i will have to reluctantly look into moving although i hate the MS world of products. 

EN i hope you are reading these comments - you need to take care of your long time customers.  Really this is a REALLY BAD move for your long term customers... so much for loyalty 

really not happy 

• Like 1

I get that you need to change for a premium plan, but taking features away from the free plan will only serve to piss people off and make them switch to another app. Let's be real here: Evernote is not a complex piece of software, and cloud storage is dirt cheap nowadays. I've been with you since 2007, and the app has changed very little in it's core functionality. Sure, you added some secondary features, but that doesn't mean they're essential or useful. Evernote was, is, and always will be a cloud note taking app. And to pay for such an basic app in 2016 is ridiculous. Especially now when there are so many good alternatives. Perhaps instead of trying to force your users to pay for an app that come standard with any OS, you could come up with a business model that doesn't drive your users to the competition.

Good luck!

• Like 9

I've been dubious about storing my information on a central server, so haven't really used my year-long subscription.  If I could run my own server, that'd be worth the price.

I also can't use it on my linux boxes, as the web interface really left me cold.  Apple's trying hard to drive me off and I won't go to windows.

I support the price increase. I'm a proponent of paying for worthwhile tools (Jaron Lanier, anyone?), and Evernote is one of them. For my money, it's full-steam ahead. I never want to return to the days when I owned actual filing cabinets <shudder>, and I appreciate Evernote's consistent refusal to be bought by larger corporations. I hereby renew our vows.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, T-Dawg said:

Evernote was, is, and always will be a cloud note taking app. And to pay for such an basic app in 2016 is ridiculous. Especially now when there are so many good alternatives. Perhaps instead of trying to force your users to pay for an app that come standard with any OS, you could come up with a business model that doesn't drive your users to the competition.

I think you're confused about this product.  Yes, it does have basic note editing features, but this is minor compared to its function as a cloud filing cabinet syncd to and with software for various devices

>>taking features away from the free plan will only serve to piss people off and make them switch to another app.

And that's a bad thing?

>>I've been with you since 2007, and the app has changed very little in it's core functionality.

Evernote is a very different product than the 2007 version

Have you really been using this product/service free since 2007?

• Like 1

Ok, so Evernote's "where ever" feature is now a pay for use.. I cannot emphasize enough how tired and tapped I am from all of these subscription based models. I am a fairly new user and I like the service, but priemium is completely out of the question... And now plus is a must for syncing.. But I hardly use 1% of the monthly limit now, and thank you for offering a service that helped my wife and I stay organized for free, it almost sold me. But like Amazon, Google, Nextflix... Who who were $50-now $100, $2 now 10, $6 now $10??, what is Evernote's next step? $4 now, next year $8, next year $10... This company is going to flirt with price increases until demand drops.. And that's on top of their expected loss with this and each increase.. We are all factored in.. It's not about a quality product, it's cash flow. It's just money and how to make more. I am sad; sad for what is to come. 

• Like 8

For what it does and my needs, the new price is reasonable. If it is useful for you, then pay. If not, then don't. Pretty simple.

Have used OneNote on and off (still is used by some work projects). It has some nice features, others not so nice. In the end I'd rather support a small company than MS, but for some the choice comes down to price and others insist on getting everything for free (*cough* music *cough*). Developers have to pay rent (just like musicians), so you figure out the value proposition and make a choice. But then don't complain when your free stuff suddenly is worth the price you paid.

Some know the cost of everything, and the value of nothing...

• Like 3

Maybe there needs to be two different threads. One for those of us that have been paying for and supporting the product and want to discuss the price increase, and another for the people we have been subsidizing that think they should still get things for free. Nothing in this world is free, whether it's software, healthcare, education or anything else. There are only things that you are paying for and things that someone else is paying for so you don't have to.

• Like 5

Well, I'm not nuts about this, but as time goes on, I use Evernote more and more...so it's probably worth it to me. I have a while to figure it out though, since I just re-upped in March.

I think there is a big problem in the so called unicorns. Theranos is out. Lending Club, going down. Fab, One Kings Lane, & Zenefits, going down. Upwork, going down. Now, its Evernote. I don't understand why anyone needs 10GB. 1GB is enough for me. I don't support this price increase at all. Let them build a small & lean organization. In fact, let them not develop the product further because what we have is enough for note taking.

• Like 1

Please reconsider this change or at least increase the device limit. There are many of us in the non-profit world who really love your product. We can't afford to go premium and you will lose us. 

• Like 4

The email I received said I'm over the two device limit; I don't think so. Is there a way to see what devices it thinks I'm using? 

Like everyone else I don't like the increase but until someone comes along with a better product for the same money then I'm sticking it out with Evernote. I will pay the price to keep from seeing ads on every note I have or page. I do pay to support evernote, but at the point of the price being too high for what I use it for than it will be time to move on. I have onenote but it is lacking in so many ways compared to evernote. Now if I only wanted a simple note taking app then there are so many to pick from but to me evernote is way more than a simple note taking app. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

>>taking features away from the free plan will only serve to piss people off and make them switch to another app.

And that's a bad thing?

Yes. The currency of the internet is attention. The more people you have using your product, the more visible you are. My old company has been losing a large percentage of its subscribers every year because too many features were shoved behind a pay wall. Now the name has zero brand recognition and has no one paying for the service. This was a service that started online over 20 years ago, too, and our product was a lot harder to replicate than cloud storage of text files.

• Like 2

Limiting to two devices makes zero sense. Two or three devices the use of your servers is the same. Why not limit to three devices? Everyone today has three devices, its kind of a standard, thus making such cut version of Evermore basic substandard.

I would understand if that would be less convenient for Evermore company, but reading on two or three gadgets the data are the same, same volume etc.

Such limitation is not motivating me to upgrade, rather to look for alternatives. Motivation for upgrade should be by premium services and not by such banal limitations.

• Like 5

Yeah, the constant nag, and the limited inter-operability make it an easy decision to leave evernote at this point.  I get the game.  Try and get people hooked on the free version and then start reducing features and see how many stick around.

I just exported all my stuff to onenote.

• Like 5

Was a Premium user but went down to Plus because I couldn't justify the price/feature difference and at the time I primarily wanted offline notebooks on mobile. 

Now with the 30+ percent price increases and the lack of a few features or any word of those features I cancelled my Plus renewal and will move to OneNote. My wife uses Evernote free just for recipes we collect and use together and some home documentation, I use it a lot more than she does. Now with the two device limit for free, she will have to get rid of Evernote on her laptop or one of her mobile devices.

Evernote mentioned something about improved text formatting a couple of years ago but it's still lacking and while OneNote doesn't have as nice a clipper or overall look, the notebook level encryption is something I really want.

A year of Office 365 with my education discount is less than the price of Evernote Premium and I get way more use out of Office combined with OneDrive and OneNote. Evernote really should have gotten some features ready before implementing a price hike.

• Like 5

I have tried over the past year to use OneNote as a reliable replacement for Evernote and I can't, or should I say I haven't been motivated enough to make it part of my workflow.  On the Mac the interface is outstandingly horrible.  If it were a direct clone of the Windows interface then there would be some hope, but no, it's not.  I didn't have any problems using the Evernote to OneNote converter except for a few formatting issues here and there.  It's just the interface on the Mac I can't stand!

In a few days I will be upon my fifth year with Evernote and a premium member ever since they offered a pay subscription.  At $40 it was a no brainer.  At $45, $50, even $60, but when it jumps from $45 to $50 to $70 in two subscription cycles it causes me to pause and re-think where my money is going.  OneNote is included in my O365 subscription which also includes OneDrive.  I've kept Dropbox premium around for the same reason I have kept Evernote premium, I am familiar with and feel the service is worth the price paid.  There will be a limit and I'm thinking that $70 mark has hit that limit.

• Like 2

Right, I've been using One Note since a year now and that settles it. It's got a bookmarklet as well as a highlighting tool on Edge. Plus, I have like 27 GB of space on One Note.

Transferring all my evernote data to One Note tomorrow!

Why am I posting this? Because even if I could have done all of this in anonymity, I wish to register my protest against this move and let others know about alternatives available to evernote.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, loghound said:

Like you I'm pretty invested in EN so jumping ship to OneNote or Apple Notes is not currently in my plan.  A third option though is staying with the service but downgrading from Premium to Plus.  When the time comes, I will be looking strongly at that.