Two device limit is a bad idea

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-05-03 at 0:28 PM, nicolgareth@gmail.com said:

Office365 with1Tb Onedrive is a dream.....no longer missing Evernote, i loved it, but became too difficult reconnecting between devices, the cost was too much per month for storage.

Glad you found a tool that fits your needs and suits your budget. That's what matters! 

On 7/1/2016 at 1:02 AM, DTLow said:

I think its a brilliant idea.
Its seems to be causing a lot of the non-paying users to leave.  These are non-paying, and will never pay.
And it's more incentive for new users trying the service, to switch to a pay account

Stop saying rubbish. Popped in to see how the old friend I left was doing. 

I paid for Evernote, for many years. I was using the product a bit less, for a few months, so let my subscription end. Was going to pay again, but the two device limit plus steep price hike, meant that I would be held ransom to Evernote, for the rest of my life.

notes belonged to me, so I just moved everything, to one note, and now pay for Microsoft services, that do just as much at a fraction of the cost. 

I had always planned to support Evernote. I loved it. And was going to get back to it. But then they appointed the failed google guy as the new CEO, to drive profits. 

He put in the two device limit... and Evernote seems to be steadily declining. 

Always sad to see a product people once loved, ***** it's customers in the back.

Frankly, when they did the 2 device limit, I did something I would have never considered doing before. And that was open my eyes, to how much work was put into one note, and how it is actually a better product than Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 hours ago, lykoz said:

Stop saying rubbish. Popped in to see how the old friend I left was doing. 

Troll Alert    Unknown.jpeg.c05ee805d9d84dbcddf0efb7dedd0753.jpeg

Only in the interest of providing feedback:

I am a non-paying user. I use Evernote extensively for work and for personal use. I use minimal storage and minimal bandwidth. I'm considering upgrading because of the 2 device limit, and because I have enjoyed Evernote quite a bit over the years. I've been a bit of an evangelist over the past 8 or 9 years. I have no idea how many of the many, many users I've set up have generated revenue. I only know that there have been "many, many".

However, I am more likely to jump ship. And the reason is that I can no longer advocate Evernote to all of my friends, family, and coworkers. The majority of these people were never going to be paid users, though some probably would. I'm a consultant. Notes and information are our lifeblood.

It's the network effect. It's why the free users are so valuable to even apps that require subscriptions for revenue. I was a huge node in that network. I didn't share many notes, but I shared the usage of the app all over the place. It was just so USEFUL, bugs and all. But - there are other options and better ones every year.

Obviously, the company has it's reasons. But I have to wonder if they understand just how much that device limit kills this app for the casual users that keep it out in the minds of the mass population from which the paying users spring.

The easy omnipresence was the killer feature. I can no longer have brainless, easy access on my phone, my work computer, my spare phone, that tablet I take on trips once in a blue moon... Ok, so I can still log into a browser on any computer. That has always been an awesome bonus. I can shuffle devices - but I'm not going to. And I do routinely need offline access.

I'm in no rush. I'm invested! I have soooo many notes and notebooks. But there's grist in my workflow now and so it'll be changing. And there goes a huge chunk of that network effect. I doubt I'm all that unique. And the fact that I'm sharing this perspective is sheer happenstance - I'm looking for information on why the website won't load. Oh, and my phone is over there with the app -- but I needed to quickly note some items on my work computer, which isn't one of the two devices. Yep. A bunch of unimportant things which amount to EN not being a thing to a large chunk of the general population over the next several years.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2017-05-17 at 11:14 AM, sboviedo said:

I have to wonder if they understand just how much that device limit kills this app for the casual users

I'm sure they factored that into their decision making process; it may even have been considered a plus.  
These "casual users" could be considered an expense to be cut back on

And one might point out the contradiction in "casual user" and requiring multiple simultaneous devices

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, sboviedo said:

However, I am more likely to jump ship. And the reason is that I can no longer advocate Evernote to all of my friends, family, and coworkers.

Couldn't advocate to someone where the tool would fit and they only wanted to use on their desktop or mobile device?

• Level 5*

This discussion is nearly a whole year old  Don't think anything is going to change anytime soon.  There's been more than enough time for Evernote to evaluate the likely long-term effect on their membership levels and income.

• Like 1

I think it is hilarious how all these companies think they can just keep charging what they want for online monthly subscriptions. The great thing is that as a purchaser I have now evaluated who adds value and what I can use effectively to run my business. There will be a massive fall off of these types of services as the big boys close them down with power bundles. Personally it has been cathartic clearing out all the bits and pieces I used to use (Evernote/Dropbox/ToDo/Googledrive/Zoom.... a number of others) to simply have Office 365 as my go to for organisation, email, storage, file management and planning, together with Adobe photo package for my professional needs. I used to use Evernote for convenience of taking notes and having them available across my devices, I now just use OneDrive which is synced across all devices, works well and I would never have gone there if Evernote  hadn't made me make a decision by messing with the multiple device farce. So thanks Evernote for your service and direction I still think its a good product but honestly doesn't compare with Office 365 right now.

Signing out but may be back at some stage if Office 365 start messing...the beauty of the free market.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, nicolgareth@gmail.com said:

I think it is hilarious how all these companies think they can just keep charging what they want for online monthly subscriptions.

The discussion was actually on the two device limit

Why do you think it's hilarious for a company providing a service and charging for it.
It's common in my world; in fact I personally earn income by charging for my services

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I'll probably regret this, but I'm chiming back in too. Obviously everyone has to decide what works best for them and what, if anything, it's worth monetarily. I wouldn't consider an all-Microsoft solution, because in my work I have no use for Excel and barely for PowerPoint, and I have a much better writing tool than Word (expensive, but non-subscription). My Evernote Premium subscription auto-renewed a couple of weeks ago for $59.99. This is a 33% increase over the earlier Premium subscription price ($45/year), and presumably it will go up to the standard $69.99 in 2018.

Nevertheless, I find that I can afford the payment, and it feels worth the money to me for my way of working. I'm paying about $1.15/week for constant access to notes and the ability to create new ones wherever I may be. Next year it will be $1.35/week. Broken down in that way, it doesn't seem so much. Looked at another way, the percentage increase over the earlier price seems high because the earlier price was actually too low. As a writer, I pay $35/year for a subscription to the Chicago Manual of Style online, and $30/year to subscribe to the online Merriam Webster Unabridged Dictionary, and I use these much less often than Evernote. Moreover, I am given to understand that some people consider it worthwhile to pay for multiple cups of coffee per week in order to get free WiFi to do their work. Evernote is cheap by comparison. It's all a matter of what you want it for and how you use it.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
22 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Nevertheless, I find that I can afford the payment, and it feels worth the money to me for my way of working. I'm paying about $1.15/week for constant access to notes and the ability to create new ones wherever I may be. Next year it will be $1.35/week. Broken down in that way, it doesn't seem so much. Looked at another way, the percentage increase over the earlier price seems high because the earlier price was actually too low. As a writer, I pay $35/year for a subscription to the Chicago Manual of Style online, and $30/year to subscribe to the online Merriam Webster Unabridged Dictionary, and I use these much less often than Evernote. Moreover, I am given to understand that some people consider it worthwhile to pay for multiple cups of coffee per week in order to get free WiFi to do their work. Evernote is cheap by comparison. It's all a matter of what you want it for and how you use it.

My standard take on this is to look at my coffee bill (~$10/week) and my Evernote bill (~$1.35/week). Pretty easy choice for me, given  that I use Evernote every day at work, and nearly as much at home...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I can understand the subscription price is too much of a burden for some users
Those users have my sympathy 

I appreciate that Evernote provides software for free, and has a Basic account tier at no charge
I may have need of this some day
When that day comes, I won't be whining that Evernote should give me more

I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch,
          He said to me, "You must not ask for so much."
          And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door,
          She cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?"

• 1 month later...

Do they limit you to 2 devices on the "plus" version? I have been a "premium" user for about 5 years now. May subscription was not automatically renewed this year and I guess I was dropped down to a "free" membership. I think they recently added the "plus" version, and it looks like it would be fine for my needs. Hmm? Maybe I should start investigating other cloud services. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Captain Tadpole said:

Do they limit you to 2 devices on the "plus" version?

The limit is only on the free Basic Account, and it's for two simultaneous devices

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 2017-07-30 at 오후 2시 58분, WillBizz said:

you don't need non-pay users, it seems

The need for non-paying users was to introduce the Evernote application with the intent they would convert to paying users

If the Evernote features have no value for you, its a good idea to switch to another product

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, rpkruks said:

What you guys could do is to use the application on android or iOS devices and use the web version for PC and Mac. Thereby, you could easily run Evernote on 4 to 5 devices.

The web version doesn't count as a device, so you can use on a mobile device, a desktop version, and as many browsers as you like.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

And just to make the tired old point one more time - that's the Web client plus 2 currently connected devices - it takes a few seconds to drop one current device and temporarily connect another to sync it up to date and continue working.  Yes it's a little more work,  but this is an otherwise fully-featured FREE product.  If you're using it enough to feel the pain of that operation,  you should really consider upgrading.  And given that another favourite complaint is the number of times Evernote pops up a reminder about upgrades,  I can see the idea of in-app advertising from third parties causing an uproar.  And a security hole.

• 1 year later...

It is not a bad idea, they want to be paid for their work after all.

It is however a bad idea to constantly bug me about having reached the limit when I don't plan to add more and certainly don't respond well to being bugged. And by bugging I mean throwing up a new screen that interrupts whatever I was doing, minimizing the window where I was doing something in fact. On windows.

• 1 year later...

I was "duped" into this and sent a request email before the billong date and asked how and what to do about removing the 3rd device (Ipjhone) and never fot an answer just a charge.

I chattted with a "chatter" who just recited the no reunds and further indicated that I would pay for the 3rd device till the sub. was up.

I removd the 3rd device myself on my laptop via browser.

Regise to provide refund , citing terms.

Since thsi is not the annual subscription, a bit sneak and unfair.

Another ticket was opendd. I am also considering not renewing. One Note seems to be much discussed . I was wondering if anyone found an easy way to transfer files or docs to another cloud based service .

Thanks.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, AllanTO said:

I would pay for the 3rd device till the sub. was up.

Hi.  I'm confused.  The FREE account is limited to 2 devices (+ browser access) and more than that number will be locked out.  There's no option to add extra devices for a subscription.  The Premium service,  which you seem to have,  has no device limit at all.  You should be able to connect with Evernote on whatever device you choose.  I have one tablet, one phone and one laptop and no problems.  There's also no extra charge for single devices.  I don't know how you came to be paying additional costs that are "not the annual subscription". 

As a subscriber you should have access to support by email - I'd recommend that you use that to check with Evernote to see what's going on here.

For the record most cloud service Evernote competitors have some form of Import from Evernote feature should you still want to move.  The success of the process will depend on how you have your existing notes set up,  and will vary from one service to another,  so test them out before committing to any single one!

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
On 9/18/2022 at 12:09 PM, fernandes6546 said:
 Indeed, the idea is to limit the number of different devices an account can login from, so account credentials sharing isn't allowed.

Hi.  I seriously doubt credential sharing was in any way a major factor here.  You can share credentials if you wish,  and yes the device limit just got blown out of the water by two users - but you'll get a lot more confusion out of the fact that two people may want access to the same file at the same time.  And since new Free accounts are... free,  why not get one or more separate accounts and share one or more notebooks between all of them?

Credential sharing is also possible in a subscription account,  and lots more users can enjoy the confusion that will shortly arise.

• Level 5

Anybody can share login credentials - with loved ones, confided ones, strangers on the library computer (oooops), and hackers (who sold my login in the darknet …. ). I wouldn’t call it a good idea, but technically not problem.

It is very simple then: With a free account, each one or two gets one device, and with three you have the web client left. Still, one of them needs to be the official user, an he will have to unsync the others when discipline was lost. Prepare for the lockout …

Subscribers are in a more comfortable position, but with the easy possibility of sharing complete notebooks I don’t really see a convincing use case. Simply sharing into the same account potentially creates (beside the legal issue) a number of syncing problems that probably make it pretty unattractive in every day use. My wife and I both have a Personal account, and a number of shares. Works perfectly, and everyone of us has his private enclave.

And then there is Teams, practically a shared superaccount - but what makes it unique is that access it controlled, and not every user can see and edit everything.